India Pale Ale - Nebraska Brewing Company

India Pale AleIndia Pale Ale

Nebraska Brewing Company visit their website
Nebraska, United States

Beer added by: beerhobo22 on 07-03-2009

Our India Pale Ale has a pronounced hop bitterness and wonderful hop aroma. The taste immediately gives away the high hop characteristics with malt aspects playing second fiddle to this fantastic example of the style.

3.63/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

An all around good IPA. Good color, nice head and impressive head. Pine hops and some citrus are apparent in the taste and the feel is awesome, leaving you wanting more!!!!!!!!!. Nice balance and great beer, Nebraska !!!!!!!! (225 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +11%

Woooooooh! This stuff is good! It's been in my truck Since lunch and has been calling my name ever since. Finally got home and let me tell you...... I dont know if its my location but this is fresh......also i got a freakin' frothy monster of a head on this beast and a lacing that sticks like spideys web! Good job Nebraska Brew! Cant wait for another one of your creations! (375 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Another picked up at the Pour House in PT,WA. Poured into 10oz goblet. Poured a clean, clear honey-gold color with just a thin cap of white head that had low retention and lacing.

The aroma featured nice, bright hops, mostly citrus, with just a slight hint of malt. Pretty similar on the tongue, but the hops are bigger and totally dominate the palate. There was bitter finish that bordered on unenjoyable.

The body was on the light-medium side of the scale for the style, and had a dry finish. Drinkability was OK, that harshness on the back would probably preclude me from having 2 in a row, but I would drink this again. Overall, a solidly typical example of the style, worth trying if you see it, not worth seeking out. (725 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz can

clear golden copper color, bright white head that fades. earthy, piney hop aroma. slightly sweet malt flavor, with hop flavor that is okay, but doesn't totally jive. mouthfeel is a bit sticky, thin to medium. medium to high carbonation. (253 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours dark amber with a small head. There is mild lacing. The opening at the top of the can is different. It pops open the entire top, so it was odd pouring that into a glass. Not sure if that had anything to do with the lack of head. Has a strong malty, piney, hoppy aroma. The malt seems a little watered down on taste, though. There is a strong piney hop at the end with a nice piney aftertaste. The maltiness still persists through the end, though. Tasty IPA, nonetheless. (485 characters)

Had this on tap, super fresh. Juicy West Coast style IPA from the Midwest. Probably the best IPA brewed in Nebraska, hell, might be the best beer brewed in Nebraska... (167 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz can purchased at 99 Bottles in Federal Way, Washington, for $1.83. No freshness date. Admittedly, this is a ticker beer, grabbed because I’d never had a beer from Nebraska. The blurb on the can only mentions Citra hops, but it’s not explicitly stated that it is a one-hop beer. It IS stated that the beer is ”beautifully Nebraskan,” but I suspect it’s also beautifully Yakimaian. I also suspect it is contract-brewed, as it states it was brewed in “La Vista, NE,” not in Papillon.

Poured a semi-clear coppery amber color, with a good-sized, creamy, off-white head that took several minutes to settle.

Grapefruity-and-piney-scented hops dominated the nose. I picked up a little bit of caramelly maltiness, but it was definitely a minority portion of the aroma.

Thick, grapefruity hop flavor was what first hit the tastebud beachhead, with more bitter, piney hop flavors in a significant supporting role. This is definitely a “fruit-forward” IPA, but it’s still well-balanced, with a good ratio of bitterness to sweetness. It is a thick, almost syrupy hoppiness, however, and there’s not as dry a finish as many IPAs I’ve had.

Medium bodied, with a sticky, resiny and oily mouthfeel.

Not sure I would want to session this, but it’s a pretty good “West Coast IPA” from the Midwest. I would drink this again if I encountered it locally. (1,372 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +5.7%

Clear amber copper color with a thin head with medium retention, but with a constant plate.
Delicious tropical aroma with notes of passion fruit, peaches, honey, mango, some caramel, grapefruit, cantaloupe melon and pine.
Balanced flavor with notes of caramel and toasted malt, pine, flowers, grapefruit marmalade, spices, mango, resins and tea bags. Dry aftertaste with a long lasting bitterness.
Medium body with a mild carbonation.
Very balance and complete IPA. Nice piney and citrusy hops backed by a solid malty base. (523 characters)

Out of a can, let it be know Nebraska Brewing Co. has changed the can game with the widest-mouth pull-top. Head nonexistent. Dark copper color. Aroma is citrus and piney hops through and through. Citra hops dominate the flavor with a great balance of hop taste, bitterness and malty sweetness. Mouthfeel is pleasantly sticky. Great beer! (337 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +2.6%

Good, solid IPA. Pours from a can into a pint glass. Nice clear light copper color with a small white head. Averager retention and good bands of lacing on the glass.

Pretty decent aroma of citrus hops with a little pine resin.

Taste is very good. Citrus hops up front, then resiny piney hops and a very little caramel malt. Solid flavor, nice bitterness.

Mouthfel is crisp and full for an IPA. Bitterness level is high and there are some balancing caramel malts.

A very enjoyable IPA. (492 characters)

I grew up in Nebraska. So I saw this and just had to get it. I'll be brief. Beautiful dark amber color. Smells wonderful typical tropical citrus scents. Taste follows the smell with a pronounced bitterness that lingers for a day and a half. Thick creamy mouth fell like an imperial. Just a damn good IPA. Buy it without worry (325 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +3.1%

Stylish can! One of those wide-mouth tops. I still poured it.

A: 3.5 - Clear copper color with pretty much no head.
S: 4.0 - Lots of resiny hops. Gobs even.
T: 4.0 - Nice amount of bitterness, but more importantly, loads of hop flavor, piney, resinous, somewhat grassy. The hops pretty much cover up whatever light malt there is, and the finish is quite dry.
M: 3.75 - Neutral texture, light for strength.
O: 4.0 - Nothing too special, but this is solid IPA craftsmanship, and very drinkable. (494 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Chuckanut pint glass. Pours a medium coppery amber with a thin white head that dissipates to patches and light lacing. Aroma of caramel malt, mild citrus and mild grassy hops. Flavor is caramel malt, light citrus and fresh mown prairie grass and hay, light lemon. Finishes with a somewhat earthy and herbal hop bitterness that is much more intense than expected from the mild start. Medium bodied. I was a little underwhelmed by my first taste of this, but there is something about the hop bill here and its balance with the malt body that is very appealing. The finish is more than satisfactorily bitter and flavorful. Very nice balance and ultimately great taste. I will try this again, which is not something I say about a lot of non-west coast IPAs these days. (779 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +8.4%

This IPA is quite similar to others I've had, namely Finest Kind, maybe Hop Devil, and others so immediately it's pretty good.
It's got a nice popping citrus nose leading to an opening of lemon and tangerine, followed by a pronounced caramel malt backbone.
Pine bitterness is mild to average, while drinkability is moderate to high. This one doesn't do anything I haven't sampled before, but
does lean towards a West Coast IPA that can be knocked back at will... (466 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -8.4%

Pours a clear dark orange-brown with a foamy beige head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Thin rings of lace line the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, earth, citrus fruit, and citrus zest aromas. Taste is much the same with earth, citrus zest, and grapefruit juice flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with a nice balance of earth and citrus forward hop characteristics.

Serving type: can. (603 characters)

I know that I picked these CANs up in Philly to further The CANQuest ™, but I CANnot remember whether they came from Pinocchio's or The Foodery (Northern Liberties). Either way, they are nice CANs!

From the CAN: "World Class in Every Glass"; "Our West Coast inspired India Pale Ale is rich in flavor and abundant in citrus-like, piney, and resiny aromatics created through a wonderful infusion of Citra hops. Completely refreshing with assertive, bordering on aggression, crisp bitterness. Beautifully Nebraskan."; "CANs: Infinitely Recyclable (SM)".

I swear that I heard an elephant trumpet in the distance when I Crack!ed this brimful CAN open! If it is charging, then I need to have an inverted Glug going before it gets here. My tour guide, Raj, is exhorting me, "Sahib, sahib!" as though I CAN make this happen any faster. The two fingers of rocky, mountainous, light-tan head that formed following the pseudo-cascade have inspired me! We must head for the Himalayas and Kangchenjunga to escape this beast. Raj is initially reluctant, but when he sees the enormity of this animal, he CANcedes to my way of thinking. Sticky lacing has begun to form on the peaks of the glass as we begin our ascent. The air is clean and my nose tickles with the redolent smell of pine resin, but it is not enough to throw the pachyderm punk off of our scent. It just keeps coming like a runaway steamroller! Its color was odd, matching the beer as Amber to Deep Amber (SRM = > 9, < 13). My clarity was like the beer's: NE-quality-plus. I could see our future and it was not a pretty sight if the elephant was to catch up with us. Raj passes me the communal glass and I take a hearty draught from it to soothe my jangled nerves. Phew! I get a blast of grapefruit citrusiness and piney resinousness on my tongue, which is literally breathtaking. CANbined with the view, the altitude, my adult-onset asthma, the exertion and the intensity of the hops, I CANnot breathe! Raj notes my difficulty and we take a different tack, heading back down the mountain and away from the plodding pachyderm that has been dogging our heels. Raj assures me that it is slow to stop and slower to turn, so we have a chance, but we must pray that it does not overtake us on the descent since its momentum will enable it to easily catch us. I take another deep draught to calm my nerves, noting its medium mouthfeel this time, along with the cool mintiness from the hops. The finish was as dry as the altitudinal air that surrounded us. As we approached the base, Raj spotted a grove of trees and we took cover behind the largest one. Reaching into my backpack, he pulled out the bag of salted peanuts that I had along to eat as a snack with the beer and threw them out in front of the tree. The elephant, smelling the legumes, came charging for them and in its haste and blind fury, ran smack into the tree, knocking itself unconscious. Raj and I scuttled away, afraid that the tree might fall from the impact, but it held, and we returned to the village for more beer and salty snacks. (3,056 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +10.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a tall pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a deep amber orange with a moderate amount of bubbles. Big three finger off white head with decent retention. Leaves a good amount of lacing.

Smell: A crisp, juicy, and earthy hop forward aroma with hints of citrus and grass. Citrus hop hints of grapefruit, orange peel, pineapple, lemon, mango, and melon. Earthy and floral hops with hints of pine resin and grass. Solid malt backing with hints of sweet caramel, biscuit, yeast, and cracker. A pretty solid aroma.

Taste: Like the smell indicates, a juicy and piney hop forward taste with good notes of citrus, pine, and grass. Upfront citrus hops with notes of orange peel, grapefruit, lemon zest, pineapple, mango, and melon. Solid presence of earthy and floral hops with a dank presence of pine resin and grass. Good sweet malt backing with notes of caramel, grains, biscuit, and yeast. A pretty good taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Crisp, juicy, and pretty smooth with a drying finish.

Overall: A very solid West Coast style IPA. Good notes of citrus and pine with a solid malt presence. (1,160 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +11%

A: medium amber ale - crystal clear - centered into a pint, produced a towering head of off-white foam; some head retained throughout, lotsa lace down the glass

S: big aromas of citrus and pine - floral and bright; underscored by deeper notes of rich grain, wet with caramelized sugars

T: the hop bill asserts up front - Citra hop action brings the citric pith, suggesting dark grapefruit; pine resin chewiness and sweetness as hop and malt meld; hop-forward but the malts are present enough to support the bitterness

M: creamy and slick, but bittering as hell; some bitter pine-resin coat on the tongue leaves a "must-have-more" aftertaste; medium body, ample carbonation fuzz

O: whatta great little beer! From brewers I only knew for their "big boy" reserve series bottles comes a lean and tight IPA, crisp and easy-drinkin', full o' flavor with a nice clean aroma. I'm gonna go big here 'cuz I'm a fan of Citra hops. Regardless, grab some. (946 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Serving glass: Poured from can into Imperial Pint.

Appearance: Cloudy amber-orange with nice, off-white head and good lacing.

Smell: Sharp citrus that is definitely Citra hops. Some pine, pineapple and a little bit dank as well.

Taste: Very hoppy and juicy, with grapefruit, orange and pineapple. Fairly dank, with notes of marijuana and onion. The finish is quite bitter and piney. I guess there are some malts under there but I wasn't really paying attention to them.

Feel: Moderate carbonation, medium to full that is fairly oily, very dry.

Overall: Excellent IPA that is very juicy and hoppy. Quite underrated IMO. (623 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

a really solid ipa from nebraska brewing here, but all of their stuff has been good, so no surprise at all. an orangey colored version of the style, with a little less than an inch of thick white head. it has a real fruit punchy bouquet to the hops, not so much tropical as citrusy and orchard type fruits, and just enough bitterness. the malt base is middle of the road, a little medium crystal in here for color and smoothness, but mostly pale type malt in here. lots of late kettle hops are responsible for the aromatic explosion of this beer, super hoppy, less conventional varietals, which i like a lot. they have gotten a lot out of the hops here, and although there isnt much bitterness, the beer comes through balanced and robust. maybe colder fermentation has helped make this as smooth and dry as it is, without any real yeast character to the flavor at all. overall quite a good ipa, not as adventurous as the bottled series they have done, but very sturdy beer here. (978 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A: From the can to a standard pint glass, the beer built a solid two finger head. Off white foam that sustained a moderate/long time before leaving spotting lacing on the edge of the glass. The beer is a Light copper with excellent clarity.

S: Mild to moderate grapefruit, mango and candy like hop aroma. Light pine dankness. Caramel and toasty malt character is notable.

T: Medium pine and grapefruit bitterness flows into a medium dank pine hop flavor. The toasty bready malt flavor comes through in the middle. The balance is on the hops but there is a mild sweetness. The finish leaves with the more pine.

M: Carbonation is moderate and the body is also (even though it says west coast style). It feels like there are hop flakes in the glass despite its clear appearance, maybe just my imagination.

O: Not the most aromatic or flavorful IPA out there, but in a can its a good beer to take on a camping/canoing trip. I didn't see a date on the can which is a no-no for me, so this might have had some age on it and not the freshest example (1,047 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours a Amber copper color, finger of off white to tan head, nice lacing

Smell is citrus, pineapple, pine, kiwi, caramel, musty earthy hops, biscuit

Taste is pineapple, pine, bready malt, biscuit, kiwi, some grapefruit and lemon, finishes with a pine sap bitterness

Mouthfeel is medium, heavy scrubbing carbonation, dry finish

Great beer! Love that there is balance to it but the hops still shine. (401 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: clear; bronze colored; 1 finger egg shell head that receded quickly to a ring around the edge of the glass; moderate lacing;

S: pineapple and grapefruit;

T: grapefruit up front, but not as intense as the aroma; caramel malt kicks in mid-palate; finish is grapefruit and a little pine with moderate bitterness;

M: medium bodied; moderate carbonation; dry finish;

O: well balanced; not especially memorable, but enjoyable none the less; (441 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

IPA from Nebraska bought on E 38 St NYC proves we're back to a healthy # of brewers in this land.
Can!

A: A medium brown color, with a short white head that fades slowly, maintains a cap, and laces well.

S: Sweet, caramelized malts, perfumey, floral hops, some cow pies, and some citrus. (a cowboy beer)

T:Follows smell with lots of sweet flavors of caramel and citrus. Then hops bitterness creates a good balance. The hops are plentiful, it's west coast hoppy, with a nice long peppery / sweet finish. Good yin/yang.

M: Smooth, medium body, carbonation, finish slightly sticky.

D: Tasty, peppery, a solid IPA from the plains. Yeee hawwww! (646 characters)

3.81/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz. can

Pours clear amber gold, white film retains indefinitely.

Smells of caramel malt over maple and piney hops.

Tastes of caramel and biscuit malt with piney grapefruit citrus hops that are potent and bitter.

Medium body with stinging carbonation on the roof of the mouth.

A very good, above-average IPA that is tastey and and flavorful. Very enjoyable and worth trying. (383 characters)

India Pale Ale from Nebraska Brewing Company