India Pale Ale - Nebraska Brewing Company

India Pale AleIndia Pale Ale

Nebraska Brewing Company visit their website
Nebraska, United States

Beer added by: beerhobo22 on 07-03-2009

Our India Pale Ale has a pronounced hop bitterness and wonderful hop aroma. The taste immediately gives away the high hop characteristics with malt aspects playing second fiddle to this fantastic example of the style.

2.74/5  rDev -28.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I do love Nebraska's cans - especially these heavy duty pull-tabs that take the entire top off. Purchased at a local Austin, TX bottle shop and served cold into a pilsner glass.

6.9% ABV. 72 IBU. Expectations are above average given this is hopped with Citra. Reviewed live as an IPA per the label. No best before or canned on date.

No bubble show forms as it's poured.

HEAD: 2 fingers wide. Off-white colour. Beautifully frothy, with a sticky smooth even consistency and a great supple soft appearance. Leaves a light coating of lacing on the sides of the glass as it recedes. Retention is great - about 7-8 minutes.

BODY: Deep translucent transparent copper of above average vibrance. Has caramel and brown hues. Even some orange too. Clean, with no visible yeast particulate or hop sediment.

Appears well-carbonated. Overall, it's a nice appearance for an IPA, but it isn't unique or special looking. I do like that it's a bit darker and more interesting than your standard clear copper IPA body.

AROMA: Pine, tangerine, hop resins, and grapefruit comprise the attractive hop profile, with ample caramalt and pale malt in there to balance the hop bitterness with sweetness - though in this case, it seems they might have gone a bit overboard with the caramalt. It's a biteen floral and has a fleeting hint of spiciness - perhaps a bit of rye malt found its way into the grain bill? In any case, this aroma suggests a coating, sticky brew with a pine-forward hop profile, but it fails to showcase Citra hops adequately. Or maybe this is just an old can, and I'm suffering from Nebraska's oversight at not putting a date on it?

Aromatic intensity is below average; it's a biteen muted.

TASTE/TEXTURE: Caramalt heavy to its detriment, assaulting the drinker with too much sweetness - a flaw in flavour that is particularly problematic alongside this ale's coating, sticky feel. Together they give this an almost candy-like sweetness which eclipses the hop flavours. Hopwise, though, it's not much to speak of - especially considering Citra was used. I don't get any citrus, grapefruit, or even fresh floral notes, and instead find only some pathetic pine and weak resinous characteristics.

There's a bit more happening here, but not much. Just some generic pale malt notes and some malt syrup. It's a painfully simple, shallow build for an IPA, and fails to showcase Citra - which is one of my favourite hops. Flavour intensity and duration are average. It's just a weak, somewhat insipid brew.

No yeast character, egregious off-notes, or overt booze comes through.

The mouthfeel is as much a shrug as the taste. It's coating, smooth, wet, lightly creamy, and unrefreshing with a medium body and average thickness. It could definitely be worse - i.e. if it were syrupy or scratchy or something - but there's definite room for improvement. A lighter body and a more oily feel would be a start. Overall presence on the palate is merely average. This texture fails to elevate the beer.

OVERALL: The most memorable aspect of my experience drinking this beer was opening the special pull-tab can. Unfortunately the contents are less interesting than the container. Disappointingly dull work from Nebraska, though it is possible this is an older can. Still Nebraska's fault for not date-coding. I'll reserve judgement on this until I can try it fresh on-draught, but as-is it's a rather forgettable mundane stab at an IPA. This is the kind of schlock I expect in a no-name regional brewery's variety box.

High C- (3,519 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -3.9%

Bought in a can. Dark Amber color. Good head on the pour into a glass and nice lacing while drinking. I'd say slightly above average IPA. Would buy again. (154 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a traditional pint. Great copper-ish color, strong head with good retention. Spotty lacing, Don't think this is quite fresh (couldn't find any dating on the can, bought as a single), but still has some hop presence against the malt bill. Pleased by the mouthfeel--I expected this to be thinner. Would love to get fresh the next time I'm near Papillion. (364 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -36.6%

Was looking forward to trying this. I was very disappointed. Bought a six pack. Drainpoured the one I opened. Will give the rest away...a mess of flavors.. (155 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a pale, brassy-copper in color, and with excellent clarity. A pale tan head tops it and leaves a nice, sticky ring of Brussels lace as it falls. Looks good so far.

Nose is a full-on hop blast; Ruby Red grapefruit, lemon zest, and a piney zing. Yeast is there, but lighter. A touch of darker and crystal malt.

Sweet-prickly and spicy on the first sip -- the spiciness from the hops, of course. Reasonably smooth and creamy mouthfeel, medium-bodied... and gently warming at 6.9%.

A really nice, lingering bitterness accentuates the mouthfeel, the heat, and the lightly-sweet character of this one.

For lack of* a better "all-in" descriptor, Two Hearted: If you like that classic brand, you will like this one as well, but it is a touch cleaner, meaning a little bit less yeast character, a little brisker on the palate.

It's a winner, for sure.

*And I'm feeling a bit lazy, and... damn! That can went down so quickly that I need to run to the 'fridge for a cold one, STAT!

Poured into a tulip from the can. There's a date code on the bottom in yellow, splotchy inkjet ink, but I'll be damned if I can read it in this light... (1,144 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Burnished copper colored with a low frothy head of dimpled off-white foam that settles out quickly to a low cap. Aroma of tangerine and mango, some subtle piney notes.

Big hop flavors upfront, lots of citrus, grapefruit rind, and sappy pine, with some floral notes. Good malt balance rides beneath, but the hops keep punching their way to the surface. Hop flavor lingers long, piney notes linger. Even mouthfeel, creamy and full, but finishes semi-tingly. Very good beer. (477 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +11%

Another gift from my son in Texas, this beer was poured from the can that has a wide mouth lid, something I haven't seen before in a can. Into the glass it gives off a great aroma of a glen of pine trees. It has a dark amber appearance, almost brownish, with an off-white head that is thick and long lasting with a trail of lacing left behind as the beer is consumed. The first sip delivers the resiny aromatics on the tongue, the Citra hop flavor coming thru clearly. It is followed immediately by some bitterness, which is a bit sharp. That bitterness leaves the mouth quickly for a clean finish. And afterward you can use the can as a pencil holder! (654 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

An all around good IPA. Good color, nice head and impressive head. Pine hops and some citrus are apparent in the taste and the feel is awesome, leaving you wanting more!!!!!!!!!. Nice balance and great beer, Nebraska !!!!!!!! (225 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +11%

Woooooooh! This stuff is good! It's been in my truck Since lunch and has been calling my name ever since. Finally got home and let me tell you...... I dont know if its my location but this is fresh......also i got a freakin' frothy monster of a head on this beast and a lacing that sticks like spideys web! Good job Nebraska Brew! Cant wait for another one of your creations! (375 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Another picked up at the Pour House in PT,WA. Poured into 10oz goblet. Poured a clean, clear honey-gold color with just a thin cap of white head that had low retention and lacing.

The aroma featured nice, bright hops, mostly citrus, with just a slight hint of malt. Pretty similar on the tongue, but the hops are bigger and totally dominate the palate. There was bitter finish that bordered on unenjoyable.

The body was on the light-medium side of the scale for the style, and had a dry finish. Drinkability was OK, that harshness on the back would probably preclude me from having 2 in a row, but I would drink this again. Overall, a solidly typical example of the style, worth trying if you see it, not worth seeking out. (725 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz can

clear golden copper color, bright white head that fades. earthy, piney hop aroma. slightly sweet malt flavor, with hop flavor that is okay, but doesn't totally jive. mouthfeel is a bit sticky, thin to medium. medium to high carbonation. (253 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours dark amber with a small head. There is mild lacing. The opening at the top of the can is different. It pops open the entire top, so it was odd pouring that into a glass. Not sure if that had anything to do with the lack of head. Has a strong malty, piney, hoppy aroma. The malt seems a little watered down on taste, though. There is a strong piney hop at the end with a nice piney aftertaste. The maltiness still persists through the end, though. Tasty IPA, nonetheless. (485 characters)

Had this on tap, super fresh. West Coast styled IPA. Has some floral and spice notes that are interesting. One of the better IPA's brewed in Nebraska. (150 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz can purchased at 99 Bottles in Federal Way, Washington, for $1.83. No freshness date. Admittedly, this is a ticker beer, grabbed because I’d never had a beer from Nebraska. The blurb on the can only mentions Citra hops, but it’s not explicitly stated that it is a one-hop beer. It IS stated that the beer is ”beautifully Nebraskan,” but I suspect it’s also beautifully Yakimaian. I also suspect it is contract-brewed, as it states it was brewed in “La Vista, NE,” not in Papillon.

Poured a semi-clear coppery amber color, with a good-sized, creamy, off-white head that took several minutes to settle.

Grapefruity-and-piney-scented hops dominated the nose. I picked up a little bit of caramelly maltiness, but it was definitely a minority portion of the aroma.

Thick, grapefruity hop flavor was what first hit the tastebud beachhead, with more bitter, piney hop flavors in a significant supporting role. This is definitely a “fruit-forward” IPA, but it’s still well-balanced, with a good ratio of bitterness to sweetness. It is a thick, almost syrupy hoppiness, however, and there’s not as dry a finish as many IPAs I’ve had.

Medium bodied, with a sticky, resiny and oily mouthfeel.

Not sure I would want to session this, but it’s a pretty good “West Coast IPA” from the Midwest. I would drink this again if I encountered it locally. (1,372 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +5.7%

Clear amber copper color with a thin head with medium retention, but with a constant plate.
Delicious tropical aroma with notes of passion fruit, peaches, honey, mango, some caramel, grapefruit, cantaloupe melon and pine.
Balanced flavor with notes of caramel and toasted malt, pine, flowers, grapefruit marmalade, spices, mango, resins and tea bags. Dry aftertaste with a long lasting bitterness.
Medium body with a mild carbonation.
Very balance and complete IPA. Nice piney and citrusy hops backed by a solid malty base. (523 characters)

Out of a can, let it be know Nebraska Brewing Co. has changed the can game with the widest-mouth pull-top. Head nonexistent. Dark copper color. Aroma is citrus and piney hops through and through. Citra hops dominate the flavor with a great balance of hop taste, bitterness and malty sweetness. Mouthfeel is pleasantly sticky. Great beer! (337 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +2.6%

Good, solid IPA. Pours from a can into a pint glass. Nice clear light copper color with a small white head. Averager retention and good bands of lacing on the glass.

Pretty decent aroma of citrus hops with a little pine resin.

Taste is very good. Citrus hops up front, then resiny piney hops and a very little caramel malt. Solid flavor, nice bitterness.

Mouthfel is crisp and full for an IPA. Bitterness level is high and there are some balancing caramel malts.

A very enjoyable IPA. (492 characters)

I grew up in Nebraska. So I saw this and just had to get it. I'll be brief. Beautiful dark amber color. Smells wonderful typical tropical citrus scents. Taste follows the smell with a pronounced bitterness that lingers for a day and a half. Thick creamy mouth fell like an imperial. Just a damn good IPA. Buy it without worry (325 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +3.1%

Stylish can! One of those wide-mouth tops. I still poured it.

A: 3.5 - Clear copper color with pretty much no head.
S: 4.0 - Lots of resiny hops. Gobs even.
T: 4.0 - Nice amount of bitterness, but more importantly, loads of hop flavor, piney, resinous, somewhat grassy. The hops pretty much cover up whatever light malt there is, and the finish is quite dry.
M: 3.75 - Neutral texture, light for strength.
O: 4.0 - Nothing too special, but this is solid IPA craftsmanship, and very drinkable. (494 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Chuckanut pint glass. Pours a medium coppery amber with a thin white head that dissipates to patches and light lacing. Aroma of caramel malt, mild citrus and mild grassy hops. Flavor is caramel malt, light citrus and fresh mown prairie grass and hay, light lemon. Finishes with a somewhat earthy and herbal hop bitterness that is much more intense than expected from the mild start. Medium bodied. I was a little underwhelmed by my first taste of this, but there is something about the hop bill here and its balance with the malt body that is very appealing. The finish is more than satisfactorily bitter and flavorful. Very nice balance and ultimately great taste. I will try this again, which is not something I say about a lot of non-west coast IPAs these days. (779 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +8.4%

This IPA is quite similar to others I've had, namely Finest Kind, maybe Hop Devil, and others so immediately it's pretty good.
It's got a nice popping citrus nose leading to an opening of lemon and tangerine, followed by a pronounced caramel malt backbone.
Pine bitterness is mild to average, while drinkability is moderate to high. This one doesn't do anything I haven't sampled before, but
does lean towards a West Coast IPA that can be knocked back at will... (466 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -8.4%

Pours a clear dark orange-brown with a foamy beige head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Thin rings of lace line the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, earth, citrus fruit, and citrus zest aromas. Taste is much the same with earth, citrus zest, and grapefruit juice flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with a nice balance of earth and citrus forward hop characteristics.

Serving type: can. (603 characters)

I know that I picked these CANs up in Philly to further The CANQuest ™, but I CANnot remember whether they came from Pinocchio's or The Foodery (Northern Liberties). Either way, they are nice CANs!

From the CAN: "World Class in Every Glass"; "Our West Coast inspired India Pale Ale is rich in flavor and abundant in citrus-like, piney, and resiny aromatics created through a wonderful infusion of Citra hops. Completely refreshing with assertive, bordering on aggression, crisp bitterness. Beautifully Nebraskan."; "CANs: Infinitely Recyclable (SM)".

I swear that I heard an elephant trumpet in the distance when I Crack!ed this brimful CAN open! If it is charging, then I need to have an inverted Glug going before it gets here. My tour guide, Raj, is exhorting me, "Sahib, sahib!" as though I CAN make this happen any faster. The two fingers of rocky, mountainous, light-tan head that formed following the pseudo-cascade have inspired me! We must head for the Himalayas and Kangchenjunga to escape this beast. Raj is initially reluctant, but when he sees the enormity of this animal, he CANcedes to my way of thinking. Sticky lacing has begun to form on the peaks of the glass as we begin our ascent. The air is clean and my nose tickles with the redolent smell of pine resin, but it is not enough to throw the pachyderm punk off of our scent. It just keeps coming like a runaway steamroller! Its color was odd, matching the beer as Amber to Deep Amber (SRM = > 9, < 13). My clarity was like the beer's: NE-quality-plus. I could see our future and it was not a pretty sight if the elephant was to catch up with us. Raj passes me the communal glass and I take a hearty draught from it to soothe my jangled nerves. Phew! I get a blast of grapefruit citrusiness and piney resinousness on my tongue, which is literally breathtaking. CANbined with the view, the altitude, my adult-onset asthma, the exertion and the intensity of the hops, I CANnot breathe! Raj notes my difficulty and we take a different tack, heading back down the mountain and away from the plodding pachyderm that has been dogging our heels. Raj assures me that it is slow to stop and slower to turn, so we have a chance, but we must pray that it does not overtake us on the descent since its momentum will enable it to easily catch us. I take another deep draught to calm my nerves, noting its medium mouthfeel this time, along with the cool mintiness from the hops. The finish was as dry as the altitudinal air that surrounded us. As we approached the base, Raj spotted a grove of trees and we took cover behind the largest one. Reaching into my backpack, he pulled out the bag of salted peanuts that I had along to eat as a snack with the beer and threw them out in front of the tree. The elephant, smelling the legumes, came charging for them and in its haste and blind fury, ran smack into the tree, knocking itself unconscious. Raj and I scuttled away, afraid that the tree might fall from the impact, but it held, and we returned to the village for more beer and salty snacks. (3,056 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +10.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a tall pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a deep amber orange with a moderate amount of bubbles. Big three finger off white head with decent retention. Leaves a good amount of lacing.

Smell: A crisp, juicy, and earthy hop forward aroma with hints of citrus and grass. Citrus hop hints of grapefruit, orange peel, pineapple, lemon, mango, and melon. Earthy and floral hops with hints of pine resin and grass. Solid malt backing with hints of sweet caramel, biscuit, yeast, and cracker. A pretty solid aroma.

Taste: Like the smell indicates, a juicy and piney hop forward taste with good notes of citrus, pine, and grass. Upfront citrus hops with notes of orange peel, grapefruit, lemon zest, pineapple, mango, and melon. Solid presence of earthy and floral hops with a dank presence of pine resin and grass. Good sweet malt backing with notes of caramel, grains, biscuit, and yeast. A pretty good taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Crisp, juicy, and pretty smooth with a drying finish.

Overall: A very solid West Coast style IPA. Good notes of citrus and pine with a solid malt presence. (1,160 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +11%

A: medium amber ale - crystal clear - centered into a pint, produced a towering head of off-white foam; some head retained throughout, lotsa lace down the glass

S: big aromas of citrus and pine - floral and bright; underscored by deeper notes of rich grain, wet with caramelized sugars

T: the hop bill asserts up front - Citra hop action brings the citric pith, suggesting dark grapefruit; pine resin chewiness and sweetness as hop and malt meld; hop-forward but the malts are present enough to support the bitterness

M: creamy and slick, but bittering as hell; some bitter pine-resin coat on the tongue leaves a "must-have-more" aftertaste; medium body, ample carbonation fuzz

O: whatta great little beer! From brewers I only knew for their "big boy" reserve series bottles comes a lean and tight IPA, crisp and easy-drinkin', full o' flavor with a nice clean aroma. I'm gonna go big here 'cuz I'm a fan of Citra hops. Regardless, grab some. (946 characters)

India Pale Ale from Nebraska Brewing Company