HopAnomaly - Reserve Series Aged In French Oak Chardonnay Barrels - Nebraska Brewing Company

HopAnomaly - Reserve Series Aged In French Oak Chardonnay BarrelsHopAnomaly - Reserve Series Aged In French Oak Chardonnay Barrels

Nebraska Brewing Company visit their website
Nebraska, United States

Belgian IPA |  10.60% ABV

Beer added by: Onslow on 03-21-2010

An artful creation which began with our HopAnomaly Belgian-Style IPA, enhanced by a 6 month maturation in French Oak Chardonnay Barrels. This version of Hop God is a fascinating, big, bold Belgian-style Tripel hopped in very high amounts to concentrate citrus, grapefruit and floral aromatics in the nose. The addition of Chardonnay barrel aging adds further dimension and oak tannins to an already wonderfully complex Ale – bringing to mind tropical fruits and peach. We know of nothing that compares – enjoy!

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of HopAnomaly - Reserve Series Aged In French Oak Chardonnay Barrels Alström Bros
4.35/5  rDev +7.4%

From a growler from The Brass Tap, Greenfield, WI:

Pours hazed golden amber with a thin head. Trailing lace slides does the glass with some sticking.

The smell is of chardonnay grapes, oak/vanilla, caramel and spicy hops.

The taste is of chardonnay grapes, oak, caramel, cotton candy. Sweetness is balanced by a lasting spicy/herbal hop bite in the finish.

It is creamy smooth. Alcohol is hardly detectable. It has a full body without being too thick.

Dangerously drinkable. It has a strong "Belgian"character. Hops really come through in the finish, but adjusts slowly to it in a balancing way. Great use of the barrels. A wonderful, enjoyable work of brewing art. (670 characters)

1.49/5  rDev -63.2%

If I wanted to drink something that tasted like a cheap bottle of chardonnay than I would buy a cheap bottle of chardonnay. I'd avoid it. I hate that beer has become so pretentious, and now we have people rating this sour white grape flavored beer with an overall score of 91 and 94!!!! Are you kidding me? (306 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

We pop a 750mL. emblazoned with the former label of “Hop God” into our King Sue tekus. It shows a golden pumpkin coloring, and puts forth a finger and a half’s worth of a head. The latter is creamy and soapy, but retains only briefly before sinking into a dense ring at the junction of the liquid and the glass. Lacing is chunky and mountainous. No haze or sediment is noted, and carbonation appears to be lighter. The aroma is shockingly tart and sour, offering up notes of white vinegar acidity, sweet Chardonnay grape skin and wine, cleanly old and dusty French oak, soft banana esters, manure and barnyard funk, lemon zest, phenolic clove, sweet Belgian yeastiness, hearty maltiness of pale grain, wheat, and lighter pilsy grit, perfumed floral hoppiness, tangerine flesh, white sugar, and chlorine. Holy phenols, Batman!! The taste is not at all what we had expected following that aromatic showing. The tartness threw us for a loop there. We hang our heads, resigning to notes of massive Belgian graininess of biting pilsner, pale, amber, and dusty English varietals, sweet banana esters, rumbly and spicy phenolic clove bitterness, intensely drying oakiness, tire and latex rubbery bite, chardonnay grape sugars, herbal and green grassy hoppiness, wildly fusel booze, cloying white sugar and honeycomb sweetness, vanilla bean, dried cherry fruitiness, candied almonds, earthy mossiness, cider vinegar acidity, hot horseradish fumes, and lemon skin. The aftertaste brings crushing tsunami waves of phenolic and chardonnay wine bitterness. The body is medium to full, and the carbonation is lightly medium. Each sip gives nice slurp and smack, and more oiled foam and froth, without robust creaminess. The mouth is left astringently dried and puckered following an initial scathing coolness of phenols and booze. The abv is warming and present, and the beer functions as more of a sipper.

Overall, this is one of the most impressive uses of wine barreling we’ve ever encountered. The chardonnay flavoring just pours off of the oak, blending with the warming, bold graininess of a surprisingly bitter base tripel. The result is rather mixed however. You find cloying sugars clashing with the most intensely puckering and bittering phenols around, all with this grapey wine and ethanol flavoring that never fully clicks for us. The biggest surprise here is that nose. It tends towards the wild side, more so than either a Belgian IPA or a tripel (it’s hard to nail this down stylistically, as so many things are mentioned on the bottle, contrasting with what we actually get). That is probably why we felt so discombobulated through the flavoring and beyond. You never quite know where you are with this beer, and it leaves you questioning your own basic knowledge of beer. As our introduction to Nebraska Brewing Company, this has certainly piqued our interest. (2,898 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured from a 750ml into a FW snifter.

A- Golden colored with a small white head. Really looks inviting...

S- White wine...maybe a little pepper and spice.

T- Again, white wine, a little light fruit...very summery...don't know why I'm drinking this now in the middle of a rainy SoCal night. I want some apple slices and cheese with it. On the finish there's a bit of oak, reminds me I'm drinking a beer.

M- Very bubbly...very light, it feels good.

O- Need to do this next summer out by the pool. I feel like I'm in Napa Valley at a wine tasting. Quite enjoyable. (568 characters)

So, I was at the Nebraska Brewing Co. last night and was told that they couldn't sell me this delicious beer. Apparently they received a cease an desist letter from a brewery in Tennessee with the naming rights to HOP GOD...smh. There will be NO more HOP GOD in Nebraska EVER!! So I called half of the liquor stores in the city before I finally found one that had a bottle, four bottles to be exact, bought em all. Best $80 I have ever spent. If you can find this beer BUY IT. (476 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Interesting brew served in a 6 oz glass at the White Oak Tavern in Ellicott City Md. Weak nose but citrus and grape must scents. Smooth mouth feel with minimal carbonation and limited bitterness of hops. Chardonnay flavor is noticeable with slight lingering aftertaste. (269 characters)

A-golden orange color with a nice white head and decent lacing

S-slightly sweet malt, herbal, oak, white wine, belgian yeast

T-grainy malt, herbal, light caramel, oak, yeast, white wine, little grape and apple, mild bitter finish

F-medium body with moderate carbonation, crisp

O-enjoyed the barrel characteristics and the beer was very drinkable in spite of the abv (369 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bought this tonight here in Ithaca NY, at Finger Lakes Beverage Center (really great store). No one in the store at the time had tried the beer, so they asked me to let them know what I thought. This is what I thought:

Hi, I bought Hop God Last night. You asked me to let you know what I thought. First, my nose is almost completely dead from childhood allergies, so I require a beer that really stands up to notice anything. This one does. Pours a beautiful cloudy gold, with a moderate head (I poured it pretty cold). Nice lacing, etc. First thing was, I got citrus on the nose. It's got to be strong, for me to smell at all. A little bit grapefruity on the tongue. It's hard to quantify the mouth feel, it's pretty bright and then hangs around with what I think is a citrusy aftertaste. There is actually enough going on with this beer, the hops aren't really the biggest thing, at least for me, but for a hop freak such as myself, they are still there. I don't think it said so on the label, but at 10 it's certainly it's a double. Also, it's clearly Belgian yeast, with some sour coming through. Anyway, I think the alcohol fits nicely, but I'm accustomed to drinking nines and tens anyway. All in all, I do like this beer. it's interesting – sometimes that's a curse I guess, but not here I think. If I had a complaint at all, it is that it's a little bit heavy on the citrus (disclaimer – I dislike citrus is in general). I would buy it again, though. (1,463 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A: The beer is hazy golden yellow in color and has some hints of amber hues along with aclight amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a finger high bright white head that died down but consistently left a thin head covering the surface and lots of lacing down the sides of the glass.
S: Light to moderate aromas of Chardonnay are present in the nose from the wine barrel aging.
T: Much like the smell, the taste is dominated by flavors of Chardonnay from the barrel aging.
M: It feels medium-bodied and a bit crisp on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: The wine barrel aging lends nice flavors of Chardonnay, but this overpowers the taste of the underlying Belgian IPA. (698 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From the 750mL bottle into a snifter.

My pour produces a massive head that resembles a root beer float. Cloud-like fluff shoots above the rim of the bottle and forms peaks. The liquid is a cloudy orange and resembles a witbier. Light carbonation trickles upwards and their are large tufts of lace scattered all about the snifter. It's a sexy beer.

This beer is very Belgian. It's heavily yeasty with the fruits and peppers that accompany. The nose really suggests a saison to me. Tartness is present too. I like what I'm smelling but I'm curious where the hops are. Perhaps that citrus I'm detecting is hop-related. I'm even smelling some salt like a gose.

Taste-wise, this beer has a grape-like character, plenty of citrus notes and pepper and yeasty notes like a Belgian. I get some aggressive grapefruit and the sensation on the upper palate that this brings. I even get some of that citrus peel. Whatever hops are here, they seemingly only add to the citrus and don't add any danknss or other hops flavor. As the beer warms I begin to get more sweet maltiness too.

Especially as the beer wars, I get an incredible amount of sensations on the tongue. This beer has yeasty effervescence, tartness, and the bitter dryness of biting into a grapefruit.

A pretty tasty brew here. There's a lot going on, between citrus adn malt and Belgian yeast and saison-like sensations. It's a lot to enjoy. (1,401 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -6.9%

On tap at Max's in Baltimore. From notes.

A - Cloudy dark golden pour with one finger of white head. Good carbonation, great lace rings and a film of retention.

S - White wine barrel. Not much else. Nice, but I'd like to know I'm drinking a beer, not it's barrel.

T - Hops are there for sure. Wine barrel funk and acidity, honey, fruity hops. Quite nice.

M - Nice carbonation, full body, thick feel, alcohol and bitterness to finish.

O/D - Good. Intense and worth the time to sip it. Not as much IPA character as expected, but it was nice. (544 characters)

Hazy, golden-amber pour, with a wispy white head and medium-sized collar; some tracks of lacing on the glass. In the nose, Belgian yeast and obvious Chardonnay aromas, herbal hoppiness and pale malt sweetness. Pretty much delivered what was promised in the taste department: Belgian yeast complimenting pale malts, vinous flavors, stone fruits, notes of oak and light hop bitterness into the aftertaste. Medium body, moderate carbonation, pretty easily drinkable, with the higher ABV well-concealed. Nice overall. (513 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

750ml bottle into a Chimay goblet. Thanks to my cousin for the Christmas gift!

A: Pours a hazy amber color. The head is a one finger white shade. While its retention isn't the best, it's both beautifully creamy and leaves a decent ring of lacing on the glass.

S: Very fruity. Intensely fruity, actually. Apples, grapes, pears, oranges, and grapefruit all intertwine on the nose, with a building bubblegum character coming out the more it warms up. The barrel character is moderately strong without being overpowering. One disappointing feature is that I don't pick up much hoppiness, apart from some of the citrusy characteristics blending within the esters. Otherwise, this is an excellent example of a barrel aged tripel, at least on the nose.

T: From the start, the esters hit the palate immediately with strong bubblegum, apple, and pear. It's on the finish where the hop profile makes itself known. They're more citrusy than piny, and that's good. The finish is also loaded with a clean oak characteristic - this feature is actually quite powerful, almost overly so. Wait not almost, definitely overly so. The toasted oak flavors run roughshod everything else when sufficiently warmed up. Getting past that, it's a solid brew.

M: Surprisingly on the clean side, with the barrel characteristics doing a good job of drying it out. The tannins are a bit harsh, actually - it's too dry in my mind. On the plus side, there's very little in the way of prevalent alcohol.

O: Clearly, this isn't much of an IPA, Belgian-style or otherwise: the hops are only a slight addition here, playing second fiddle to the barrel character. This is a perfect example of an over-barreled beer - the base beer pretty much cowers in fear of the chardonnay barrels. It's a reasonable beer, but considering how much this brewery charges, I'm having a lot of trouble recommending this one (except to barrel lovers, that is). (1,909 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

At $30 a big bottle, it was not worth it. I've heard people say they seem these bottle for less than $20 but most say all their brews are over priced. This beer is good, don't get me wrong, it just doesn't live up to its name. Hop God...I expected more hops.

It is a great looking beer. Poured into big wine glass, nice brownish yellow with a good head, good retention, and great lacing. Not that bubbly but has a few here and there coming up from the bottom.

It is very smooth and has lots of citrus notes, very grapefruity. It is quite easy to drink. It just doesn't give me the zing that other trippels do.

At 10%, I couldn't taste the alcohol at all which is nice.

THis beer is worth trying, even more so if the price is right. (737 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -13.6%

Sent by sholland119 as part of the Blind Beers BIF, this was reviewed blind.

Pours from the 750-ml bottle a murky hue the color of grapefruit pulp. It's highly carbonated -- I have to tone down the pour because the fizz almost came up over the glass. I get about two inches of fluffy off-white head and tons of webbed lacing when I'm done.

Funky nose. Lemon peel, pear, floral hops, lots of barnyard funk. Gotta be some Brett in this one. Peppery phenols.

In the flavor: Floral hops, bitter grapefruit, white pepper, a hint of sweet pear. Mostly dry, and it's all permeated with bretty funk. A little alcohol flavor as well.

Smooth, silky medium body, high carbonation, pinching the tongue. Not as much fizz as the appearance would suggest. Definite alcohol numbness on the tongue and heat in the throat.

Balanced, peppery, funky. Lots of great hop flavor and bitterness, nice use of funky yeast. (901 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +2.5%

this is a very interesting brew, my second from nebraska brewing, and as impressive, if not more impressive, than the apricot saison. the pour in this is hazy and more yellow than golden. it has an inch or so of pure white wispy head that settles a bit, but is easily reproduced with a twirl of the glass. the nose is more wild yeast than Belgian yeast specifically, taking on some late summer farmy elements. the hops aren't as in my face as I expected them to be in a beer named hop god. they are tropical fruity and citric, but not hardly bitter at all, which allows the complexity of the yeast to fully develop on the palate. some fresh cut grass in here, and some drying straw, its definitely a summer drink. very active carbonation and only a light malt body give this beer a lot of life, and the fact that it is over 10% abv is almost impossible to detect. this was a real treat, many thanks to claystation for sharing it with me! I have to get my hands on more of their stuff, both ive tried have been absolutely fantastic. this is proof that the Midwest isn't all bad... (1,079 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -0.7%

Hop God opens to full Belgian nose, bursting with bananas and cloves, and supplemented with a bevy of fruit esters, including white grape, apricot, berry, cherry, kiwi, and even touches of pineapple. Smidgens of confectioner’s sugar add a super sweet edge, with brown sugar and vanilla bringing in more sweet textures. Grains bring in bits of toast and baguette, as well as faint remnants of wet wheat and whole wheat dough, but the breads are quite faint, and mainly serve to help bring the sugars into relief. The oak barrel aging adds oaky notes, and bits of the Chardonnay have also seeped into the beer, adding fruity grape notes, like sparkling sweet champagne. For all of the beer’s 101 IBUs, what is noticeably missing from the nose is the expected hop bomb; instead, the hops add delicate rosewater and grapefruit overtones. As a whole, the beer smells delicious, and in many ways is far closer to fruity champagne than beer, with the banana and clove Belgian notes being the main detractor from this impression. What is mostly apparent is the intensity of the sugars, the bottle rim not only sticky, but the fruit esters more full and complex than in several lesser beers combined. The beer is perhaps overly sugary, or at least in need of a stronger secondary aroma to help balance things out, but is still alluring.

On the tongue, the hops are out in full force, attacking the tongue with an unexpected ferocity, pink grapefruit, grapefruit rind, pine resin, and dandelion stem mixing with citrusy pineapple, fermented apple cider, and berry vodka to burn the tastebuds and singe the nosehairs. The intensity of this initial impression cannot be overstated, especially after the delicate and sugary-sweet nose: this beer singes and curls the toes, not only with massively bitter hops, but tart fruits and heavy swaths of alcohol vapor. Rarely has a beer been so different from aroma to taste. Subsequent sips reveal more sugary fruit esters, including cherry, orange, apricot, and the expected banana and clove Belgian notes. Toast crust, wet wheat, and rising wheat dough also add further complexity, as do touches of oaky white grapes. But it is the massive hop/citrus/alcohol blast that easily wins out, dominating the other flavors and occupying perhaps ninety percent of the flavors, and continuing to eat away at the tastebuds long, long after the beer has been swallowed. Mouthfeel is medium, and carbonation is medium to medium-high.

Overall, if the taste of the beer had more closely resembled the aroma, this would have been an amazing beverage. However, on the tongue, the hops simply overwhelm everything, and combine with the high ABV to produce a hop-and-vodka martini overtone that so heavily dominates the beer as to make most of the other flavors quite difficult to detect. The beer is definitely out of balance because of this, to such an extent that even hopheads might have a problem. (2,922 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very thick, rich head, almost like it had nitrogen rather than carbonation. The head settles slowly, leaving a dense dome in the center of the glass. Chunky but spotty lace on the glass. Cloudy liquid with a dirty gold color.

Complex aromas of creamy (lactose?) pale malts. Some Belgian yeast nose. Peppery hop, too.

Starts with a rich barley flavor. Holding the liquid in my mouth, a subtle carbonation shows up preventing the beer from getting coy. Just prior to the swallow, the alcohol is notable, oily and warming. The swallow and aftertaste is all hop and alcohol. The hop portion is bittering without any strong spiciness. In a word: Complex. (651 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I had this on tap at Holy Hound, hesitated to enter a review, but had 5.5oz in a snifter and enjoyed it so, why not?

The color is deep amber like an apricot with thin ring of beading ,there is no lace stickage. The smell is floral and phenolic with mild vinous odor. The feel is mildly tannic with high bitterness and slight spice from the yeast and semi-high carbonation.

This is a very interesting blend of Belgian IPA with some wine-barrel influence adding to the complexity in general, very phenolic and bitter with some mild tropical and vinous elemments. Overall I was more than pleased with the flavor and intensity, I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys hoppy Belgians, not over the top with bitterness to the extent that you can't get the wine barrel in the flavor profile, highly enjoyable. (810 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +16%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy golden from a 750ml bottle into an Odell goblet/tulip glass with about a 1-2 finger frothy, white head.

S- Chardonnay grapes, lemon, fleshy citrus (pineapple, pear, green apple) and vanilla/oak

M- Strong carbonation allows Hop God (barrel aged) to seep into the taste-buds nicely and allow all of the flavors to titivate the palate.

T- This is where the barrel-aging shines. Huge amounts of everything: bitter citrus (grapefruit and orange rind, fleshy tropical fruits (pineapple, granny smith apple, apricot)...and oh yeah, you'll also get a heavy dose of bitterness.

O- Redefines what a beer can be...this brew is unique and squarely bridges the chasm between (white) wine and beer...this is exceptional.

Although primarily a Brewpub, they do things right...If you are passing through...try it, if you can get it, buy it! Tyson Arp and Co. are doing really great things with beer! (900 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -14.6%

I love it when brewers take a good beer and age it in something, hopefully something that imparts even more complexity in a complimentary way.

Unfortunately for me, while the chardonnay from the barrel does shine through it simply doesn’t compliment the enormous hoppiness in a pleasing way. It’s like two different tart flavors vying for your attention at the same time. It confused my taste buds and made the beer taste skunky (it wasn’t skunked).

It’s a huge, complex beer with DIPA level hops, tart and citrusy. The aroma is complex hops and wine, almost Belgian in character, which combine into something not entirely pleasant (I think there’s a reason wine doesn’t use hops). There’s a malt backbone to level things out just enough. But this beer bites back. Medium thickness. Beautiful copper looking beer with thick off white head that settles into lace.

A good DIPA with chardonnay notes is what it is. Maybe it took me off guard, seemed to get better as I went (I actually winced a little though, not something I do often with beer). I drank the 25 oz bottle over two days and enjoyed it more on the second. Perhaps it needed to breathe! (1,167 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured from the bottle into a snifter, the IPA was a golden color with an modest white head. Retention around the sides of the glass evident. A wine-like aroma with a certain measure of hops dominated the aroma. In the interest of honesty, it smell more like wine than beer. The initial taste had a sour grape-like potency. It was not overly sour as to dominate the taste, but it was certainly at the front. Notes of grapefruit, peach, and the hops were also evident. The peach comes out a little more in the aftertaste, with modest grapefruit, yields to a warming sensation on the back of the throat. The mouthfeel was not as thick as I would have liked, but it worked. Overall, I am not sure Hop God was worth the price tag. However, I would certainly drink it again is somebody else picked up the bill. (805 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -6.9%

Bottle pour from Wowcoolman’s tasting.

Pours a hazy orange with a foamy beige head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is sour of malt, grain, citrus fruit, floral aromas, and some spices. Taste is much the same with a mild herbal hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with a better smell than taste in my opinion. (502 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -13.6%

Notes from a tasting on 8/15. thanks to totoropanda for bringing this one out.

a - murky orange with a thin head.

s - smells belgian. some oak notes.

t - tastes belgian chardonay, not hoppy. some oak notes. white wine. a bit funky of a mix.

m - pretty belgiany with a bit of a bitter afterbite in the finish.

o - overall decent, nothing crazy. (348 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: An impressive pour - looks like a real Belgian, with three fingers of foam sitting atop the clear amber liquid; copious amounts of lace are left behind

Smell: Oaky, chalky, tropical fruits and white wine grapes - is this a beer I am smelling?

Taste: Tropical fruits (pineapple and lemon) with an undertone of honey, up front; building vinous astringency by mid-palate; plenty of oak, chalk, white wine grape and acetic sourness in the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation; slightly creamy

Overall: I have had mixed results with the previous Nebraska beers I have tasted but this one really delivers the goods; definitely worth the high price of admission (689 characters)

HopAnomaly - Reserve Series Aged In French Oak Chardonnay Barrels from Nebraska Brewing Company