Hop God - Reserve Series Aged In French Oak Chardonnay Barrels - Nebraska Brewing Company

Hop God - Reserve Series Aged In French Oak Chardonnay BarrelsHop God - Reserve Series Aged In French Oak Chardonnay Barrels

Nebraska Brewing Company visit their website
Nebraska, United States

Belgian IPA |  10.10% ABV

Contained within this bottle is an artful creation which began with our Hop God Belgian-Style IPA, then enhanced by a 6 month maturation in French Oak Chardonnay Barrels. This version of Hop God is a fascinating, big, bold Belgian-style Tripel hopped in very high amounts to concentrate citrus, grapefruit and floral aromatics in the nose. The addition of Chardonnay barrel aging adds further dimension and oak tannins to an already wonderfully complex Ale - bringing to mind tropical fruits and peach. We know of nothing that compares - enjoy!

(Beer added by: Onslow on 03-21-2010)
Reviews by Neffbeer:
Neffbeer

4.03/5  rDev -2.2%

750ml bottle poured into a tulip.

A: It pours a glowing golden amber with an orange hue. Rocky white head with great retention and a ton of lacing, spectacular.

S: The chardonnay barrel jumps out first. There is no mistaking where this beer came from! Some hints of peach and other fruits follow closely behind.

T: Big oak flavor with a hint of peaches and sweet malt. Dry to the bone with a clean bitter finish. The wine barrels have really taken over this beer in a good way.

M: It is light and fluffy with plenty of carbonation.

D: This is quite a drinkable beer for 10%. I had this beer when it was first released and it has changed beyond recognition 6 months later.

01-12-2011 04:12:39 | More by Neffbeer
Sintech

Nebraska

So, I was at the Nebraska Brewing Co. last night and was told that they couldn't sell me this delicious beer. Apparently they received a cease an desist letter from a brewery in Tennessee with the naming rights to HOP GOD...smh. There will be NO more HOP GOD in Nebraska EVER!! So I called half of the liquor stores in the city before I finally found one that had a bottle, four bottles to be exact, bought em all. Best $80 I have ever spent. If you can find this beer BUY IT.

08-01-2014 12:53:20 | More by Sintech
AmericaGWShark

Georgia

07-29-2014 16:00:08 | More by AmericaGWShark
Azeotrope

07-23-2014 00:23:53 | More by Azeotrope
MDHopster

4.35/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Interesting brew served in a 6 oz glass at the White Oak Tavern in Ellicott City Md. Weak nose but citrus and grape must scents. Smooth mouth feel with minimal carbonation and limited bitterness of hops. Chardonnay flavor is noticeable with slight lingering aftertaste.

07-20-2014 01:55:31 | More by MDHopster
MDDMD

A-golden orange color with a nice white head and decent lacing

S-slightly sweet malt, herbal, oak, white wine, belgian yeast

T-grainy malt, herbal, light caramel, oak, yeast, white wine, little grape and apple, mild bitter finish

F-medium body with moderate carbonation, crisp

O-enjoyed the barrel characteristics and the beer was very drinkable in spite of the abv

07-11-2014 17:57:43 | More by MDDMD
BearMittens

07-09-2014 04:50:09 | More by BearMittens
spoonhawk

Iowa

07-02-2014 03:44:58 | More by spoonhawk
mobius024

4.48/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bought this tonight here in Ithaca NY, at Finger Lakes Beverage Center (really great store). No one in the store at the time had tried the beer, so they asked me to let them know what I thought. This is what I thought:

Hi, I bought Hop God Last night. You asked me to let you know what I thought. First, my nose is almost completely dead from childhood allergies, so I require a beer that really stands up to notice anything. This one does. Pours a beautiful cloudy gold, with a moderate head (I poured it pretty cold). Nice lacing, etc. First thing was, I got citrus on the nose. It's got to be strong, for me to smell at all. A little bit grapefruity on the tongue. It's hard to quantify the mouth feel, it's pretty bright and then hangs around with what I think is a citrusy aftertaste. There is actually enough going on with this beer, the hops aren't really the biggest thing, at least for me, but for a hop freak such as myself, they are still there. I don't think it said so on the label, but at 10 it's certainly it's a double. Also, it's clearly Belgian yeast, with some sour coming through. Anyway, I think the alcohol fits nicely, but I'm accustomed to drinking nines and tens anyway. All in all, I do like this beer. it's interesting – sometimes that's a curse I guess, but not here I think. If I had a complaint at all, it is that it's a little bit heavy on the citrus (disclaimer – I dislike citrus is in general). I would buy it again, though.

06-30-2014 01:19:55 | More by mobius024

smithj4

04-26-2014 22:40:10 | More by smithj4
metter98

3.94/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A: The beer is hazy golden yellow in color and has some hints of amber hues along with aclight amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a finger high bright white head that died down but consistently left a thin head covering the surface and lots of lacing down the sides of the glass.
S: Light to moderate aromas of Chardonnay are present in the nose from the wine barrel aging.
T: Much like the smell, the taste is dominated by flavors of Chardonnay from the barrel aging.
M: It feels medium-bodied and a bit crisp on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: The wine barrel aging lends nice flavors of Chardonnay, but this overpowers the taste of the underlying Belgian IPA.

04-26-2014 22:38:08 | More by metter98
HoppyBastard2

04-20-2014 16:59:04 | More by HoppyBastard2
ONovoMexicano

New Mexico

4.26/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From the 750mL bottle into a snifter.

My pour produces a massive head that resembles a root beer float. Cloud-like fluff shoots above the rim of the bottle and forms peaks. The liquid is a cloudy orange and resembles a witbier. Light carbonation trickles upwards and their are large tufts of lace scattered all about the snifter. It's a sexy beer.

This beer is very Belgian. It's heavily yeasty with the fruits and peppers that accompany. The nose really suggests a saison to me. Tartness is present too. I like what I'm smelling but I'm curious where the hops are. Perhaps that citrus I'm detecting is hop-related. I'm even smelling some salt like a gose.

Taste-wise, this beer has a grape-like character, plenty of citrus notes and pepper and yeasty notes like a Belgian. I get some aggressive grapefruit and the sensation on the upper palate that this brings. I even get some of that citrus peel. Whatever hops are here, they seemingly only add to the citrus and don't add any danknss or other hops flavor. As the beer warms I begin to get more sweet maltiness too.

Especially as the beer wars, I get an incredible amount of sensations on the tongue. This beer has yeasty effervescence, tartness, and the bitter dryness of biting into a grapefruit.

A pretty tasty brew here. There's a lot going on, between citrus adn malt and Belgian yeast and saison-like sensations. It's a lot to enjoy.

04-19-2014 03:44:19 | More by ONovoMexicano

03-30-2014 22:02:59 | More by 2GOOFY
CrummyLuke

4.75/5  rDev +15.3%

03-20-2014 14:05:47 | More by CrummyLuke
Hop God - Reserve Series Aged In French Oak Chardonnay Barrels from Nebraska Brewing Company