Deep Seven IPA - McCann's Food & Brew

pDev: n/a
McCann's Food & Brew
Minnesota, United States

American IPA |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: ZAP on 01-06-2008)
3.5/5  rDev n/a

4/5  rDev n/a

3.3/5  rDev n/a

Pours ½ finger of creamy white head. Color is a hazed golden orange.

Aroma: Light grassy and floral hops with some biscuit and bready malts. It does have a light amount of citrus.

Taste: More hops here than in the nose. Very grassy and floral-like. Sine biscuit malts show again. Decent IPA flavors, but a bit malty.

Mouthfeel: Bitter and creamy. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends sticky.

Overall, this was a fairly average ipa. Some nice hops here. Somewhat drinkable. I could drink this again if I was a local to the area.

4.47/5  rDev n/a

As amber as can be, with some serious head retention and lace. Deep aroma of toffee and fragrant hops. Slight nutty malt flavour ships a hefty dose of citric and woody hops across the tongue. Faint toffee is followed by a bracingly dry bitter in the finish. Seemingly full bodied if not for the ample hop bitterness. Pungent juicy hops and well defined malts linger long after the glass is emptied. Really a world class IPA! Perhaps in this world of tropical fruit bombs and psychedelic acid trips, this would be considered more of an "English" IPA, and I accept that. I really accept that! More please.

4.05/5  rDev n/a

Re-review. Brewer says this is version 2...

This has been cleaned up nicely. Still a definite English style IPA...toffee is prevalent....but a real nice perfume-like, floral hop aroma...also a bit of sweet mandarin orange citrus.

Lighter bodied but perhaps by design. Not a negative in my mind but something to note.

If you are looking for a bitter, IPA this is not it. This IS a tasty english style IPA that to me borders on an esb...at least some of the esb's I've tried...You don't see a lot of IPA's like this one...everyone wants the biggest, bitterest IPA around....I've got nothing against that but a quality beer in this style is a refreshing change of pace.

I would definitely drink this again. I'm glad I bought another growler.

---
1-6-08 Review=3.5
A-Impressive copper with a big frothy off white head. The head continues to grow as it sits....a lot of carbonation bubbles present..seems charged up and this is from a pour from a growler.(Poured a second glass and this is definitely a little airy)

S-Floral hop aroma.and some strong rustic/earthy notes...fine cigar tobacco(very interesting)...toasted malts are also evident at first and then toffee..the aroma really evolves as you drink it and as it warms...at the end of glass one the only thing I could smell was the unique cigar tobacco...after pouring glass #2 I am back to smelling the toasted malts and more basic earthy hoppiness.

T-Not a west coast style IPA in my opinion....definitely leans towards an english style IPA....earthy hops are up front....malt is toffee and biscuity...finish is dry..

M-Medium bodied....dry finish....

D-It's nice to see an IPA in this style....different than most which is a good thing in my eyes. Certainly well made and interesting but not memorable in my eyes. Some may like this more than others..it is a relatively assertive Engligh style IPA. I would recommend trying this one because it is certainly a little different than some of the basic brew pub IPA''s....

Deep Seven IPA from McCann's Food & Brew
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.