Hub City Brown Ale - Hub City Brewing Company

poor

Hub City Brewing Company
Iowa, United States

English Brown Ale |  4.30% ABV

Our Brown Ale is a medium-bodied beer in the traditional English style. It has a pale brown color with hints of nut and caramel. This beer has a light, clean flavor and smooth finish with just a hint of sweetness, perfect for warm summer days.

(Beer added by: Deuane on 08-20-2008)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by Lemke10:
3.4/5  rDev +30.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I bought a Hub City 6-pack sampler from Woodman's in Janesville, WI for $7.79 in Spring 2011.

Pours a semi-dark brown color with a cream colored head of foam that doesn't stick around too long. There's a scent of sweet cocoa and chocolate malts as well as some hops. Taste starts off rather promising with a bold chocolate nutty flavor but quickly goes away. Some sweet carmel malts in the mix and it leaves a nice after taste on the tounge. Decent and something new to try from Iowa but that's about it.

Lemke10, Jul 03, 2011
2.5/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Reviewed from notes consumed 8/6/09

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a standard water glass. Firm pour calls fourth virtually zero head. No lace. Color is a slightly muddied very light brown.

Nose- Slight sweetness, nuttiness, mild caramel.

Pallate- Very mild caramel, some sourness. Very disappointing.

Mouthfeel- Tart, mildly carbonated.

Drinkability- Not great.

Kraken, Sep 23, 2009
2.35/5  rDev -10%

For a while now I have been excited to see all the beer activity going on in small towns across Iowa. I thought I had lucked out when on a recent trip to Des Moines I had the chance to stop a the store and grab a few 6 packs before heading home. Well, I have to admit I was very disappoited with my foray into rural brewing. I poured this into a pint glass. It had no head at all, thus no lacing. Its taste and mouthfeel were both watery. I got none of the hoppiness that others here have described,almost no flavor at all. The experience can be best summed up as drinking a watered down Newcastle. As I write this I am begining to think this may have been an old package (no date on the bottles or the carrier).

beerbrains, Apr 24, 2009
2.25/5  rDev -13.8%

NBMLove, Apr 16, 2012
3.28/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear, copper/amber color. 1/4 inch head of an off-white color. Slight retention and poor lacing. Smells of yeast, sweet malt, slight hops, and slight citrus. Fits the style of an American Brown Ale. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp with an average carbonation level. Tastes of hops, yeast, slight citrus, and a faint sweet malt background. Overall, not near the malt flavor I'm become accustomed too, but overall a drinkable beer. It just doesn't remind me of a Brown.

WoodBrew, Apr 05, 2012
3.45/5  rDev +32.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On-tap at William's in Uptown. My pint appeared dark amber (not brown). It was a simple, but drinkable brown ale. There was a mix of nutty chestnut and cashew with mild cocoa for the flavor with a like caramel sweetness in the background. The body is light and beer goes down very easy, but this isn't enough beer for a brown ale.

tempest, Jan 11, 2010
3.45/5  rDev +32.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured a hazy copper color with a big thick foamy head, long lasing almost rootbeer float like head.

Had a sweet caramel malt nose mixing in with a tangy copper odor, along with some funky yeast.

The flavor is dominated by a slightly sweet toffee malt body with a bit of grainy bread and some chocolate hints. Has the same metallic coppery finish as their golden ale along with some funky yeast flavors.

The mouthfeel is ultra carbonated with a medium body.

A solid drinkable brown ale.

bashiba, Feb 24, 2009
2.65/5  rDev +1.5%

Pours a clear, reddish amber color (Brown Ale huh???) with half inch of white head that slowly settles to a thick cap. A little lacing is left on the glass. Has a carmelish and fruity aroma that does not scream brown ale to me. Taste likewise is confusing. Carmel malt and slightly fruity. Has a caustic aftertaste that is not pleasant. Nothing remarkable about the body but it has nice carbonation. Not a horrible beer but as a brown ale it is a failure. If they called this an amber ale I could almost go along with giving it a B rating. A cheap beer that you can pawn off on your leaching buddies.

morimech, Apr 10, 2010
2.4/5  rDev -8%

Poured from 12oz bottle. Review from notes.

A- Pours a amberish brown color. Half finger off white head dies rather quickly. Light whisps of lacing on the sides of the glass fall back into the beer.

S- Light chocolate malts along with a toasted caramel malt give way to most of the nose. There is a light grainy scent from time to time. A dash of brown sugar in the ending and this beer is done for in the nose department. Average at best.

T- Nice caramel malts in the front of the beer with a light toasted taste to them. A light darker fruit flavor gets covered by a metallic taste from about the middle of the beer to the ending. This really killed anything from the middle on with this beer.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is alright for the beer. Metal is all I can taste and is left on the palate for awhile after each sip. No real alcohol drying on the palate. Flavors are off and no real clean taste to this beer at all.

D- This beer had potental and I would like to try a batch that isn't...well...off in flavor. I've had a couple offerings from Hub City and it looks like they either brew a good beer or else don't come close to what they were doing.

alleykatking, Dec 01, 2010
2.53/5  rDev -3.1%

This pours IPA orange, not really brown ale at all. A flaccid skim of bubbles strain to form on the surface. Aroma is strange, sweet with sulfur and grain.

Odd sulfury flavor, just off with some astringency and sweet husky grain. An upleasant watery grainy mess. Muddled with no distinct flavors. Not looking forward to drinking the rest of this, or ever seeking out again. Glad this was a single bottle.

emerge077, Dec 29, 2009
2.68/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle poured into an imperial pint. No date or info.

Thanks to Beerwolf77 for bringing me four of this brewery's beers from a vaca! Starting with this guy.

A - I got more head from pouring Samuel Adams Utopias than this! What gives?! An absolute disaster to start with, nothing but a small ring of off-white foam rests on the clear amber-brown colored beer.

S - Light notes of cocoa do nothing to mask the adjunct grainy aroma. Toasted amber malts are in there too as well as this port-barrel hint that's actually quite nice, even if it is wayyyy off for what this beer should smell like. Hints of brown sugar and maple syrup on the finish. I'm going back and fourth over the aroma being off and the fact I actually kinda like it that way.

T - Toasted amber malts have good flavor initially. That goes away pretty quickly though. It turns into a grainy, husky finishing flavor.

M - Medium-bodied but thin with no carbonation. It's even a little slick on the tongue. It finishes dry and slightly metallic.

D - I don't really understand what's going on with this beer. It seems like it's either off, or just poorly made, or maybe a combination of both. The flavor is just odd. It's not awful, but it does need a lot of work. I just finished bottling my second 'real' batch of beer, a Brown Ale, that's far better than this. I'm a little worried about the other three...

BeerFMAndy, Oct 11, 2010
3.9/5  rDev +49.4%

A - Golden brown with a finger of foam, lacing ring present

S - Brown sugar and caramel malts, couldn't pick up any hop presence

T - Medium bodied, taste the caramel with hints of brown sugar. Can't taste any hops

M/D - A pretty tasty brew, I recommend this brew and will purchase again. It was a pretty well balance brew. Medium bodied that sat really smooth. Could pass off as a session brew.

FreshmanPour77, Apr 30, 2010
1.35/5  rDev -48.3%

Dark amber in color more than a light brown. There is some light lacing and a rim of foam. Some prickle can be seen where the light shines through. The nose is earthy with some malt tones and a gentle grain character. The nose more like wine than beer. Some sharp notes in the flavor are a major turnoff, especially in a brown ale. A highly grainy attack. Some nut tones are able to come through somehow. It seems to be undermalted in my opinion. Almost as if they used half the grain and malt and twice the water. The malt really struggles to hold up to the grain flavors and the sharp acidic tones. Way lighter and sharper than I expected when I bought a six pack of a brown ale while in Iowa. Ugh. I am not crazy about it. I shouldn't have reviewed it yet. . .maybe some schlub will want to try one of the four I have left.

Ragingbull, Jul 29, 2009
2.75/5  rDev +5.4%

Clear orange amber..not the color I expest from a Brown ale with a creamy tan head. Dark cherries and caramel in the aroma with some herbal hop notes. While not a bad tasting beer, Hub City Brown is not true to the style at all, this beer tastes more like an Amber or even an O-fest than a Brown ale. Caramel and a hint of fresh strawberry and floral hops. Medium light bodied. Sorry, this beer is not a Brown ale.

biggred1, Jun 07, 2011
2.4/5  rDev -8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

A - Caramel, copper brown. Really light for a brown ale. Small creamy off white head. Average retention that fades into a thin creamy lace.

S - Strong metallic and apple aromas. Smells a lot like an amber ale or a cider and less like a brown ale. A lot of tartness and some spicy aroma. Not a horrible aroma but definitely not like any other brown ale I've had.

T - Similar to the nose with a good amount of caramel and funky apple taste. Some metallic flavor on the finish. Some slightly off dark fruit flavors as well. A bit off tasting with an odd funky and mineral taste. Doesn't really taste much like the brown ale taste that I was expecting.

M - Lighter body with a fair amount of carbonation. A bit thin and watery feel with a bit of a slickness.

D - Not all that drinkable. Just not balanced very well and has some funky, off flavors.

Notes: Not what I was expecting for a brown ale. The flavors just seemed a bit off. The flavors aren't really offensive, they just aren't all that appealing. Probably one you could skip.

FreshHawk, Aug 29, 2010
1.45/5  rDev -44.4%

What In The Hell?

The beer is a disaster.

Much to light, transparent for a Brown. I can see right through it. Nice head retention and lacing though, so I have to give credit for that.

Smell is exceptionally sweet. Gets your attention--even from a distance.

I don't know if it's the worst beer I've ever had (see SA Cranberry Lambic), but it's in the conversation. Bizarre. Extremely tart! Made me pucker my lips. Literally tastes like orange juice after you've just brushed your teeth.

Remarkably bad.

PaleAlien2, Mar 22, 2009
2.8/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle obtained in a sampler.

A: Pours light amber to red. Definitely uncharacteristic of a brown ale. I've had red's darker than this. Zero-head. Wondering if I got a bad bottle as most other posts have a decent head present.

S: Slight off-putting sweetness but notes of roasted malt, caramel and chocolate.

T: I get the roasted malt and chocolate first. There's very little hop bitterness present on the back end. Slight metallic which I had in their golden ale as well.

M: Under-carbed (again bad bottle-theory).

D: I would say this is somewhat drinkable over a mid-long session provided you enjoy the beer.

I however did not. It's not a terrible beer but not good. Big point loss with the color. C'mon people brown ale's should be BROWN and not clear. So far Hub City is 0/2 with me.

BehindtheFinBrew, Jun 12, 2009
2.42/5  rDev -7.3%

A - Pours a clear amber/red. Not brown as advertised. Head is 1 inch off-white orange that dissipates quickly and leaves no lacing.

S - As I was pourig this beer, I got a whiff from a foot away that reminded me of being at the baseball game with my dad in the 70's smelling the cheap ballpark beer from the glass he was drinking.

When I stuck my nose in the glass I experienced a sensation similar to sniffing horseradish except mixed with a background of roasted malt and fruity graininess. Not overly pleasant, but the aroma does seem to mellow with time out of the bottle.

T - Taste is not so good either, sort of mouth puckering and sour with hints of roasted malt and breadiness. It too seems to improve as the beer breathes.

M - Thin and puckering, sour.

D - Not really drinkable for me.

Overall - I am having a hard time differentiating this beer from the Hub City Amber Ale. The main difference is that I may be able to finish this beer as it seems to get better as it sits in the glass.

ghebel, Mar 18, 2009
2.83/5  rDev +8.4%

a: pours a brown color with about a half inch of head that disappears quickly leaving no trace of lace around the edge of the glass see through lots of carbonation
s: caramel malty sweetness hints of earthy hops
t: caramel malt sweetness very sweet brew
m: light bodied beer with a lot of carbonation

overall, this is not a beer that i would buy again

happygnome, Dec 02, 2009
3.15/5  rDev +20.7%

Light brown color, almost like a red or amber ale, with thin white head and decent lacing.

Faint sweet malty/nutty smell with cooked veggies.

Watery taste, brown sugar/caramel malt, but not much else is there.

Mouthfeel is a bit thinner than I'd like, but passable, which pretty much sums up this beer all around. Not bad, but doesn't stand out in any way.

Tasted on 7/29/08.

tmitch75, Nov 30, 2008
3.5/5  rDev +34.1%

mike727, Feb 03, 2012

Tone, Oct 22, 2009

nmann08, Dec 04, 2011
2.9/5  rDev +11.1%

Appearance: Red-amber-brown with a half-finger of off-white foam.

Smell: I get fruit, dried apricots and sweetness.

Taste: Initially sweetness, caramel, but then tart with more dried apricot-like fruit. I want to say complex, but I think it's just unbalanced.

Mouthfeel: Medium.

Drinkability: For about 1/2 the bottle I thought...okay, this isn't at all bad. But by the end the unbalanced flavor was a bit off-putting.

JackieTH, Aug 16, 2010
3.15/5  rDev +20.7%

This beer took twenty minutes to pour. A torrent of foam exploded out of the bottle the second I opened it. Upon pouring one once of liquid into the glass the entire glass was full of foam. That foam took minutes to recedes enough for me to continue pouring. Another once poured, another glass full of foam. The process repeated until the whole of the beer was poured. The color of the beer is brownish amber and cloudy. The aroma is of faint caramel with a hint of barnyard. The over-carbonated head really gets in the way of the aroma. The taste is of a sour brown ale. I'm sure this beer is infected, but it tastes good nonetheless. There are some nice chocolate and caramel notes with some mild funkiness. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and nearly flat. Overall, I'm really surprised this beer is drinkable given its condition. I actually like the taste quite a bit, and if the aroma wasn't so hidden by foam I could really get into this beer. As is I'll just have to content myself with the knowledge that infected beers can actually taste good on rare occasions.

KarlHungus, Oct 15, 2010