The Martians Kidnap Santa! (Egg Nog Stout) - Spring House Brewing Company

The Martians Kidnap Santa! (Egg Nog Stout)The Martians Kidnap Santa! (Egg Nog Stout)

Spring House Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Stout |  8.30% ABV

Rich, creamy stout with an extra dose of holiday cheer.

(Beer added by: orangesol on 10-12-2013)
3.4/5  rDev -10.5%

bradrigby, A moment ago
3.9/5  rDev +2.6%

Tried this a few times now. It's pretty good, but my thoughts may be affected by my loving of both stouts & egg not. Oddly, it tastes better when you drink it straight from the bottle :/
Still, a decent offering from Spring House.

MorgothBauglir, Yesterday at 09:07 PM
3.75/5  rDev -1.3%

LoveStout, Yesterday at 07:28 PM

Afroman, Yesterday at 04:25 PM
3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

timmy2b, Yesterday at 12:07 PM
4.14/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I generally despise these over-spiced seasonal concoctions, which seem to be there just to get a visceral reaction out of you. And let's face it, while Martians kidnapping Santa is a provocative name, it doesn't scream quality to me. It just says "cheesy advertising." That being said, I'll give it a whirl. What the heck. Spring House The Martians Kidnap Santa! Egg Nog Stout (try saying that three times fast), on tap at a Greek/Mediterranean style restaurant, poured into a standard pint glass:

Appearance: Charcoal soot topped by a dirty brown head that sinks fairly quickly into the muck. No lacing.

Aroma: Hints of cinnamon, nutmeg, egg nog, but not in your face. Okay, this might not be so bad. The stout aroma is there, the malts present.

Taste: Hmmmm. I have to taste that again. I'm not sure what I think. Hmmm... Okay, the egg nog is present, but mostly as an aftertaste. What comes through is quiet, but robust maltiness. The flavors of spices don't overpower the stout. You know what, I'm fairly impressed!

Mouthfeel: Medium body with some frothiness on the tongue, as well as carbonation at the back of the throat. Again, not half bad. I've had several swallows of this so far, and I am pleasantly surprised (and so it my tongue)!

Overall: You could probably tell I was leery about this brew before I gave it a try. But I'm glad I did, after all. It's a decent stout topped off with some Christmastime egg noggy spirit that doesn't over-sensationalize the core of the product. Okay, I'm sold. I guess the Martians kidnapped me too!

Doctor_Bogenbroom, Wednesday at 07:02 PM

deapokid, Oct 29, 2014
4.87/5  rDev +28.2%

TrackcoachLVPA, Oct 27, 2014
3.78/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Pours pitch black with just a hint of fudge around the edge; a modest tan head fritters away rather quickly; spotty lacing

Smell: Smells of nog but not egg and by that I mean that the spices are there - nutmeg, cinnamon, etc., but it doesn't waft egg nog; underneath, there are roast and coffee tones

Taste: The spices jut forward and what I missed in the aroma appears in the tastebuds - the egg nog; underneath, the roasty stout flavors build; after the swallow, the chocolate takes over and there is some burnt coffee in the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate carbonation

Overall: An interesting gimmick beer that I thought I would enjoy more than I did; the egg nog and stout elements tended to clash more than I hoped they would

Thanks, justanewby, for the opportunity

brentk56, Oct 19, 2014