Atomic Raygun - Spring House Brewing Company

good

Spring House Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  8.30% ABV

Atomic Raygun Imperial Red is a big, aggressively hopped Red Ale. It starts out with piney aromas and citrus flavors courtesy of the generous hops, and finishes with a nice rich, malty sweetness that balances the crisp hop bitterness.

(Beer added by: ffejherb on 03-26-2009)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by akorsak:
3.78/5  rDev +4.7%

Thanks to Deuane for grabbing this growler for me.

A: The amber ale is doesn't mislead. It is an amber color that matches a bottle or growler in shade. A thick yellow-tinted white head leaves rocky head that laces near the mouth of the glass.

S: An ample hop profile drips with spicy citrus notes. The hops don't overrun the ale though, the malt profile is very similar to Seven Gates only turned up to 11.

T: The ale starts as a hop bomb, dripping with thick bitterness. Citrus flavors and pepper are very spicy, flavorful but biting. Mid-sip, the ale transitions to a malt-laden behemoth. Caramel malts are sweet and stand out in contrast to the sharp bite of the hops.

M: The mouthfeel is at once bitter and sweet with a malt profile that is Seven Gates on steroids.

D: I concur with Deuane, tone down the spice and add some floral spice and this ale would really work.

akorsak, Mar 28, 2009

Dawkins, Sep 23, 2013
3.9/5  rDev +8%

64 oz brewery fresh growler into a pint glass.

Pours a deep clear amber with 2 big foamy fingers of light caramel colored head. Thinner yet frothy retention hangs tough, leaving some light spotty lacing back. The aroma is floral and VERY spicy. It's actually hard to tell if this all coming from the hops or if there is an extra little something else in there at work. I'm sure it is all from the hops, but you get my drift. A splash of citrus and some sticky smelling bready caramel imparts a deeply sweet underlying tang to the nose.

The taste starts with a nicely aggressive hop bite to it, with the spiciness running rampant the whole way through. The malts which are present are no slouch either, with sweet toffee character and some more toasty and burnt malts, which unexpectedly (in a good way) adds an extra layer of bitterness to this. Roast and spice lingers long on the tongue with a dry feel. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a carbonation that spreads out up front and then prickles up a bit towards the back of the swallow. The ABV of this is nicely hid as well, leaving only just a bit of warmth on the breath with each sip.

I've got to concur with some of the other reviewers of this. Tweak up the spice profile a bit and we've got something special on our hands, as I thought that this was very solid as is. It's great to see some more new styles emerging out of the Spring House barn.

Kegatron, Jun 18, 2009

mdillon86, Jul 14, 2012

hoppymcgee, Jun 10, 2013

DrBier, Aug 07, 2014
3.75/5  rDev +3.9%

jjd315, Oct 06, 2013

ShanePB, Jun 03, 2013
3.48/5  rDev -3.6%

I had this on-tap at the taproom in Lancaster. Poured into a sample glass.

Appearance: Pours a reddish brown with a light tan head that fades to a ring.

Smell: A mild smell overall. Smokey malt and some dark fruit.

Taste: I thought this would be very sweet, but it isn't. Some smoke along with caramel malt and some faint fruity notes. The finish is bitter from hops.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with smooth carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: Good red ale. I thought the smoke hint was pleasant and a nice addition. Would have another.

oline73, Oct 01, 2011

jholland, Sep 12, 2014

smokeypeat, Oct 19, 2013
3.88/5  rDev +7.5%

Growler fill at the brewery.
Not a fan of the name, but I am a fan of the brew. Pours into my pint glass with a full off-white/tan head. Lacing is good and retention is adequate. Color is a deep red/brown that is pretty dark, letting little light through. Smell is hoppy and fresh but not very bold. Palate lives up to the imperial billing. Citrus hops upfront and a strong caramel malt backbone. Booze is well hidden and the hop bill gives the finish a bitter bite. Medium bodied with plenty of carbonation and a clean, dry finish. This is a very drinkable and tasty ale.

JunkYardJake, Oct 05, 2010
2.7/5  rDev -25.2%

Bottle consumed at a recent DC area tasting. Served in a SAVOR snifter.

Pours a moderate amber-brown color with a really thin off-white head and no lacing as it goes down. The nose is a bit strange. There are some good hoppy notes there as well as some bready malt; however, there's a strange offness to the back-end of the profile, reminding me a bit of clothes that have been left in the washer for too long. This continues in the flavor, which does have the components of a nice beer with some good American hops, but the off flavor really kills things. Same goes for the mouthfeel, which is saved by some bitterness. Not a big fan, though I'd certainly try this again to see if it was a problem with this bottle/batch, as I have enjoyed everything else from Spring House in the past.

Thorpe429, Mar 31, 2011
3.78/5  rDev +4.7%

Served in a tulip glass at the Blue Dog Pub.

A- Deep red/mahogany- very nice rich color, slightly opaque. Thin head that quickly became a thinner lace film. Light lacing through consumption.

S- The one downside of this brew was the almost lack of definable aroma. Hints (subtle) of hops, grapefruit, but it was an effort to put words to the very limited smells.

T- Good medium hoppy edge, slight malt, but the finish has a sharper bitter twinge.

M- Medium body, not too flat not too fizzy.

D- I liked this brew- a nice red alternative to IPA, kinda like "Arrogant Bastard Light" (sorry, Stone). Not too heavy, good flavor.

CraftAleRookie, May 25, 2010

SickNukes, Jun 01, 2012

pvequalsnrt, Nov 19, 2011

nmann08, Nov 24, 2011
3.85/5  rDev +6.6%

The construction paper told me to pour it into a pint glass or a mug, and I dislike mugs for the most part. Thus, after having a bitchfit prying off the cage from the cork as well as removing the cork, I poured this mama jama into my pint glass.

A- Nice concentric rings of creamy eggshell white lacing. Decent finger's worth of head generated from a moderate aggressive pour. Very poofy. I'm talking loofah bubbles around the edges combined with some dry gum emulsion collar. Many streams of bubbles apparent from the lily pads on top. Very deep brown body. Almost soy sauce like that has a tad bit of coca-cola dilution. Hard to see through, almost impossible to discern the murky depths.

S- Oh the caramel on this. So sweet, so delicious. Its like I drizzled it all over the edges of my glass and dipped an apple slice in for good measure. Nice medium sweetness fruit characteristics. Something sharp but not ethanolic sharp. Moreso berries. A nice grassy hop body here?

T- Opens a blast of apple sweetness and crisp hop presence. Some caramel sweetness... actually a lot of caramel sweetness brings me to the middle chorus. After that its a bit bitter right in the center to finish transition.

Finish is all bitter all the time. Residual sticky pine bitterness. Just lays down a blanket like a dirty hobo and asks you don't kick him.

Some roasty notes in the middle. Had a flashback of morning coffee, but it can't be.

M/D- smooth, fluid, and lively. A bit thinner than I like most of my beers to be, but I can't fault it too much here. Lingering power is astronomically annoying for the hops. I find it in the cracks of my lips, around my teeth, on my soft palate... Its not that I hate that bitter build-up and crescendo... its just that I hate it turns my drinking into a micro-managed operation that I must drink it slower.

It was a nice change-up from what I've been having lately. Very flavorful on the opening, interesting transition segment that is oddly clean and than blasting off to bitter town which is dirty as fudge. Gritty even on the back end. The alcohol is stealthy. Halfway through my glass I realized I had hit a solid buzz. This guy has to be 8%+ for the way I'm feeling off of just that.

I couldn't figure out what this bad boy is. I'm leaning towards amber ale? It was too hoppy to be a brown ale, and it could be just a catchall strong ale I suppose... but I'm going with some type of Imp Amber.

Khazadum, Feb 25, 2011
2.75/5  rDev -23.8%

mikeincharleston, Sep 18, 2013

E1D0L0N, Jul 16, 2013
3.75/5  rDev +3.9%

curmudgeon236, Mar 12, 2014

A-Brilliant, deep, reddish copper with a thick light tan head that reduced and settled to a thin cap that left decent lace.

S-Bright floral and spicy hops come out strong and bright on top of a mildly sweet bed of sweet caramel malt.

T-Bitter, sharp spicy hop notes dominate on top of a strong malt backbone of sweet caramel and a bit of toasted bread. notes. Subtle citrus notes in the background.

M-Medium bodied with a long lasting spicy bitterness.

D-A well done brew that could become great with a change in the hop profile,IMHO. While a meager touch of citrus came through somewhere....this was mainly a spicy hopped malt vehicle, which is not my favored profile.

Deuane, Mar 26, 2009