Cosmic Monster - Spring House Brewing Company

Spring House Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

Cosmic Monster is a rustic Belgian style strong ale that is balanced with a generous addition of fresh fruit. This beer is fermented with real, pureed blackberries and then aged to perfection over fresh raspberries. Its balance of robust malt and fruit flavors make it a beer that is as refreshing as it is complex.

(Beer added by: yourefragile on 01-15-2010)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by Hellabeerguzzler:
3.7/5  rDev +10.4%

Overall I found this beer perfectly delightful. I had it on tap and took a bomber to go. Among other quads I would rank this lower but I'm not interested in what's on the label. I didn't think the raspberry was bad at all (and I normally despise a flavored beer). I'm not going to go on about how it looked because it was served in a snifter and retained a reasonable head with some mild lacing. Was not very boozy but I will admit a little warm but hey, still better than your average beer and zoinks! I think maybe 11 or 12 percent. It went quite well with my Clark Griswald Hot Dog. Another decent offering from Spring House.

Hellabeerguzzler, Sep 06, 2012
3.2/5  rDev -4.5%

Having enjoyed the 7 Gates in the past, I picked up a large bottle of the B Sides "Cosmic Monster" on a whim. Nice label.

Unfortunately, I didn't know it was made with fruit until I tasted it and looked at the other reviews here on B.A. (Note to Matt: you need to submit a statement of process to the TTB, and they'll let you know how you need to label it, i.e. - "ale brewed with fruit"; some people might be allergic).

The cork pulled out with a cute 'pop'. As I poured it, very little head formed. I tried to rough it up a bit, and brought up a finger thick lid of off-white froth. That dropped readily, leaving behind an average collar (topped by a pleasant ring of sticky lace along the glass above it), and a thin island of whispy foam across the surface. It does leave some nice sheets of lace with each sip; and holding it to the light, it displays a hazy, deep-amber orange body. Still, I don't see many rising bubbles, and after tasting it I can tell you that it's at a low carbonation level. Hmmm... I guess I should have left this one in the cellar for a few more months. Oh well, carbonation isn't everything, and in a Belgian-style quad it should still be OK.

The aroma is fruity and candyish, kind of like fruit roll-ups. I get a blend of red raspberry, cherry and apricot. It's floral as well, and the alcohol is readily apparent. In fact, it's very sugary sweet and hot. I hate to say it, but it's at least slightly reminiscent of Four Loko (I forget which flavor). Fortunately some of the Belgian yeast phenolics make their way through and save the day.

The flavor pretty much follows the aroma, and it's a 50/50 mix of raspberry/cherry and apricot that's saturated with booze. I'm hesitating to believe that it's just 10.8%, yet I guess that's possible as there's really not much body to it. It finishes dry, thanks to the sugar-dispersing alcohol. It's a bit chalky (perhaps due to the yeast), and there's a minor bit of spent hop flavor and phenolic spice left over in the finish.

Drinkability is limited, but I have hopes that the next bottling of this will be drastically improved.

NeroFiddled, Jan 25, 2011
3.23/5  rDev -3.6%

On tap @ Union Jacks (Boyertown, PA) on 2/13/10. Served in a tulip glass.

Pours a clear golden copper, with a thin covering of smooth looking bright-white head. This retains with a thin foamy ring around the edges of the glass, leaving a decent cascade of spotty froth behind in it's wake. The aroma has not shortage of sweet raspberry action going on with it, while some light spicy hop character rides right along with it. Some light bready sugars give up some extra sweetness in the nose, while yeast in the background adds a touch of sharpness.

Lots of raspberry flavor here in the taste as well, which has a syrupy sweet texture to it. This is backed up by sugars and an almost cereal grain feel to the malts. Some gritty earthy hops in the back give the finish a deep dryness, which is further amplified by the yeast. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a fairly mellow and creamy feel to the carbonation. I'm not sure of the ABV on this but it overall feels like it's coming off a bit light and could use some more beef to it.

I missed this one last summer and was glad to be able to get another shot at trying it but ultimately, I was left wanting more. The raspberry aspect of this was fine but the rest of the flavors (especially in the taste) left me wanting more depth and richness. I'm hoping that Matt revisits this one, as so far he has done a great job of tweeking his recipes for the better the 2nd time around.

Kegatron, Feb 16, 2010
1.45/5  rDev -56.7%

This might be the worst beer I've ever had. This is no way resembles a quad and was virtually undrinkable. I had to wash it down with my wife's miller lite to get the taste out of my mouth. It looks nice in the glass, but that's where it stops. It smells fruity at first and then something familiar comes to mind...robotussin. The taste is the same very sweet at first with a strong cough syrup aftertaste that doesn't go away. I was really disappointed having had good experiences with their other beers.

louballs, Sep 01, 2012
3.5/5  rDev +4.5%

A - A half fingers worth of visibly fizzy slightly off white colored head... The most minimal of retention gives way to an uneven constantly changing lace and a very thin collar... A bright amber color with a distinct orange hue... A cyclone of small bubbled swirling carbonation rises in the center of the glass with some stray larger carbonation bubbles rising else where sporadically...

S - Very subdued... Faint whiff of raspberries... Some non-descript fruit juice... Subtle candied sugars... A little too timid for my liking...

T - Fresh raspberries... Some apple... Belgian yeast... A touch of wheat... Honey... Candied sugars... Cherries... A bit of booze... The finish is a bit medicinal...

M - Medium bodied... Slightly sticky... Brisk carbonation... A bit chalky... Starts slightly juicy and finishes with a sharp dryness...

D - An interesting take on the Quad style, but a bit underwhelming... A bit too artificial for my liking... I've come to expect more from Springhouse and fine this offering slight dissappointment... A bit cloying... Confusing for the style...

philbe311, Mar 26, 2011
3.75/5  rDev +11.9%

DrBier, Aug 07, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -3%

ShanePB, Jun 03, 2013
2.78/5  rDev -17%

I had this on-tap at the taproom in Lancaster. Poured into a sample glass.

Appearance: Pours a slightly cloudy reddish amber color with hardly any head at all.

Smell: Fruit, fruit, and more fruit. Some bubble gum and malt.

Taste: Like chewing a piece of juicy fruit. Raspberry and bubble gum along with some banana. Sweet alcohol in the finish.

Mouthfeel: The body is on the thicker side with tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: Too sweet. I thought it was pretty weird and I wouldn't order it again.

oline73, Oct 01, 2011
3.28/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at TJs...
Appears a pale gold with a small white cap. Tiny spots of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of honey, mango, passion fruit, and citrus.
Taste is of the aromas with a near cloying sweetness. I figured it would be sweet but this one is in desperate need of mellowing.
Mouthfeel is medium full bodied, sweet, hot, boozy, and chewy in the finish.

weeare138, Sep 24, 2010

jholland, Sep 12, 2014

smokeypeat, Oct 19, 2013

bigfnjoe, Aug 29, 2013
3.75/5  rDev +11.9%

IPAchris, Aug 19, 2013
3.6/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

First had: on tap at Pinocchio's, Media, PA

Tap list says: "This beer is fermented with real, pureed blackberries and then aged to perfection over fresh raspberries."

Poured a delightful copper-yellow with a thin whitish head that left a little lace before disappearing almost entirely. Sweet biscuity aroma infused with raspberries, and an obvious floral hop presence. Very tasty, obviously lots of raspberries in there, which soon become almost overrun by earthy yeast and hops, and just a hint of alcohol breaking through. Medium mouthfeel, crisp, clean finish, and quite drinkable. I wouldn't say this was very representative of the style in general, so I take a few points off, but it was still tasty overall.

Rifugium, Jun 23, 2011
2.75/5  rDev -17.9%

Too much fruit, not much like a quad. Light bodied and pretty dry, the fruit leaves a kind of tart aftertaste. Doesn't stand up to the likes of St. bernadus or other Belgians.

BradC, Oct 14, 2014

pvequalsnrt, Nov 19, 2011

Morey, Jun 03, 2013
2.85/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

On tap at the Lancaster taproom.

The beer pours a reddish amber color, with fairly good head retention and light lacing. The nose is a bit sweet and tropical, reminding me of Hawaiian punch. It's not terrible, but lord does this beer smell sweet. To no great surprise, this beer is very sweet. I think it's sort of a mess, as I get raspberry, more punch, and then some noticeable alcohol burn in the finish. The combination is a bit hard to take and I'm just not digging it. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, with something of a sweet, cloying, alcoholic finish.

While there are some pleasing attributes to this beer, overall, I just thought it was way to sweet and boozy. Uggghhh....

John_M, Jul 03, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +26.9%

mickeyartery, Sep 02, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -3%

curmudgeon236, Mar 12, 2014
3.38/5  rDev +0.9%

Thanks to LargeSarge for picking up a growler of the latest batch and sharing.

A-Deep, golden kissed copper with a thin off-white head. Head fades to a thin veil and leaves spotty lace.

S-Without question the highlight of this brew for me. Massive amounts of sweet raspberries moderated with a blast of spicy hops. Light, honey sweet, biscuit malt in the background. A quote from Mrs. LargeSarge...This smell like air freshener! I agree...PLEASE Glade, make this!

T-A healthy dose of fresh raspberry flavour up front that starts pleasant but is quickly "ruined" with an overdose of spicy hops and a syrupy sweetness. The finish becomes medicinal at times and reminds me of chewing St. Joseph's Children's Aspirin.

M-Medium bodied, fairly smooth at first but the sharp, biting spicy hop bill builds in and leaves a rather harsh finish at times....this seems to moderate with warming.

D-Has potential but the hop bill needs to be mellowed out to let the raspberry goodness shine through in IMO. The 10+% ABV is well hidden and barley noticeable. I got through my pint but a second was not warranted. We all agreed this would make an excellent marinade for a pork loin. With some alterations I could see this becoming a very desirable beer.

Deuane, Sep 21, 2010

samsteff, Jul 25, 2014
2.88/5  rDev -14%

Served on-tap at the Tasting Room.

A - Pours murky brown with a decent one finger tall white head leaving small strings of lace down parts of the glass.

S - Smells of dark fruits, candied sugar and a medicinal cherry aroma that threatens to overpower everything in its path.

T - Starts off with a TON of cherry syrup that never really fades. Hints of candied sugar, dark fruits and some spicy belgian yeast try to break through but they can only do so much. The booze is apparent from start to finish, combining with the sugar and cherries to linger on the palate long after the finish.

M - Big, Sticky sweet body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Cheery cough syrup feel with plenty of booze throughout.

O - This one is definitely not my cup of tea. I like my Quad's as much as the next person but this one is very syrup like it really ruins it. I won't be having this again.

orangesol, Aug 03, 2012

stakem, Feb 10, 2014
3.45/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

25oz C&C bottle, thanks to Aaron for the bottle, split with oglmcdgl and sourbatchkid.

A- Cosmic Monster lays in the tulip casting a pinkish/orange with some amber red sneaking in as well. A hard pour produced a half inch of burnt sugar colored foam, leaving no stick.

S-This smells exactly like Founder's Rubeaus, it's almost exact. I have not had Rubeaus in a bit but that smell can;t be missed. Raspberry/cherry scent with a belgian yeast strain.

T- Taste is very light for a quad, I would put this in the Imperial fruit beer category based on taste. The 10 percent is pretty well masked until warm. More on the raspberry side of things, semi artificial tasting.

M- Pretty slick, no alcohol involvement, raspberry juice on top of a Belgian strong ale. Whatever hops used just don't make the cut. A hit of vanilla and that's about all.

O- Overall a good beer if you can think outside the box. As a quad it fails, as a go to until Rubeaus/Blushing Monk come back, no, 15 a bottle is steep.

BARFLYB, May 11, 2011