Braaaiins! - Spring House Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  7.10% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: guzzle211 on 10-02-2010

Our pumpkin ale is brewed with generous amounts of real pumpkin blended into the mash. The subtle fresh pumpkin flavor is enhanced by the addition of a touch of traditional autumn spices and sweet dough, thus creating a beer with an orange amber color, warm pumpkin aroma, a bold malt center and a crisp finish. We are proud to offer you a balanced and delectable fall treat. Suitable for zombies.
first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast

First off, Fall is my absolute favorite time of year which means there are so many different beers to try. For me, I stuck with the pumpkin brews. In my quest for the best pumpkin beer, I have tried over ten different tasty beers. NOTHING tops Braaaiins! There is some sort of vanilla hint and a perfectly smooth pumpkin taste. NOTHING compares. Grab one before it's too late! (376 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +21.6%

Serving: Draft
Location: White Rose Bar & Grill, York, PA

Story:
---
I frequent White Rose Bar & Grill often, not just for their great food, but for their amazing beer selection. In addition to the usual suspects, White Rose rotates through a good deal of craft-beer from the local area as well as national favorites. At any point in time, they likely have a dozen or so craft beers.

Bear in mind, I am a HUGE pumpkin beer fan and it's really my favorite 'style' (if we can call it that). On this particular fall night, I was looking over the beer list and noticed a few pumpkin beers. However, what I didn't notice was an insert into the menu that spoke of a new special beer from Spring House Brewing Company, named Braaaiins! In fact, my girlfriend was the one to notice this insert and after reading the description proclaimed, "I know what you are getting," which was a bold statement. I scoffed at her proclamation, until I read the description myself and instantly bellowed at the waitstaff to bring me this beer at once.

Before I dive into the particulars, I must inform you, this is my ALL time favorite Pumpkin beer, and I've had hundreds, seriously. I loved this beer so much that I immediately pulled out my phone and emailed their brewer to praise him for such an amazing brew. This is something that I had never done before and something I've never done since.

---
Appearance:
---
A traditionally golden orange beer, not entirely clear, but certainly not cloudy. The beer poured with a small, yet smooth head, that just barely lingered. Little lace was found.

---
Smell:
---
The smell was unbelievable. So much so, that if you closed your eyes, your brain would be in disbelief that a real pumpkin pie was not sitting in front of you. The most prominent scent is pumpkin, something that is sadly not always true for a "pumpkin" beer. The flavors that will grace your nose, ever so slightly, will include cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, and a surprise ingredient that will remind you of crust or gram-cracker.

---
Taste:
---
Pumpkin Pie in a glass. It literally cannot be explained any other way. This is the closest to real pumpkin pie you can get without putting a slice in a blender! A strong pumpkin flavor, followed by the perfect hint of spices, cinnamon and nutmeg. The batch even has a flavor of crust that pulls through at the end. It's just creamy enough for you to imagine a dollop of whip cream as you reach for another sip.

---
Mouthfeel:
---
Shockingly light for such a heavy flavored ale. This beer swirls lightly around the pallet, before leaving a smooth, dry finish. This beer is a really easy drinker!

---
Overall:
---
In my opinion, this is the absolute BEST Pumpkin Beer. If you ever have a chance to try this masterpiece, don't pass it up. This extreme flavor powerhouse will wash your Thanksgiving down smoothly, even if it isn't Thanksgiving! (2,884 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +19.3%

This is the standard against which I will hold all other pumpkin beers. On tap at the Spring House. This is liquid thanksgiving. Clove, cinnamon, nutmeg and an intensely full mouthfeel along with prominent pumpkin flavor make this one of the greatest autumn beers I've had the pleasure of tasting.
The alcohol content, while perfect for the style, isn't noticeable on the palate but warms you nicely on a cool autumn night. I can't sing the praises of this one enough. SH beers aren't always homeruns but the spirit of innovation is admirable and this one is a grand slam. I'm proud to have these guys in my city. (614 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Serving:

On-Tap

Appearance:

This beer had a smooth amber color. The gradient of the color transitioned nicely from a lighter amber color to a darker orange/brown (amber) color. The beer was not cloudy and poured nicely into the glass.

Smell:

This beer had the smell of Pumpkin pie. From the crust all the way to the spices that go into a pumpkin pie. I could smell the cinnamon, nutmeg, and aroma of pumpkin pie. When I closed my eyes and smelled this beer, I could imagine a nice cold piece of pumpkin pie in front of me.

Taste:

As with the smell, the taste of this beer was as if I were eating a piece of pumpkin pie. I could taste the cinnamon, the nutmeg, the pumpkin, and a hint of crust. This aspect of the beer is why I enjoy it so much. It's like liquid pumpkin pie.

The establishment that I visited, Holy Hound Taproom, had dipped the rim of the glass in cinnamon sugar.

The only thing that I could say against this beer, is that when the initial batches are released the beer has a hopier taste. It is not exactly what you would expect; however, as the season moves on the beer seems to balance out and the hoppy taste is lessened. It only alters the flavor a little, being a little more bitter, however, either way this beer is still excellent from the beginning of the season until the end.

Mouthfeel:

This beer is refreshing and pleasant to the pallet. It is medium bodied and goes down smooth.

Overall Thoughts:

I have tried a lot of pumpkin beers and I have to say this one is by far the best. Sadly, most of them don't have the pumpkin taste that I would expect from a pumpkin beer. I am happy to have found a pumpkin beer that is noteworthy and actually taste like pumpkin. If you haven't tried Braaaiins!, then you absolutely need to. This beer is definitely good all year long from a warm summer's day to a cool winters day. Braaaiins' makes it feel like it is Thanksgiving all year 'round. (1,931 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +9.6%

With crust! At the Lancaster taproom.

A: The pumpkin is an amber brown color, still clear. A thin head comes with the pour.

S: The look is appropriate, the nose is where things get good. The crusted version brings graham with a vengeance. A lactic aroma that nicely mirrors whipped cream adds a new dimension. Beyond those two aspects, there are pumpkin spices but they te (374 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Received in a trade and poured into a standard tulip.

A - crystal clear super light gold hue with a thin wispy head that fades to leave, well wisps! 4

S - Aromas of vanilla galore, light spices, nice vegetative pumpkin, almost creamsicle like. Very pleasant 4.5

T - Taste is similar to the nose, for a delicious brief flash. Wonderful vanilla and pumpkin, the spices ate super super subtle which I really love, almost an orange note. Odd, but tasty. 4.25

M - Mouthfeel is nicely carbonated, slightly creamy, works well with the flavours. 4.25

O - Overall this beer was really interesting. Very orange creamsicle like with nice faint pumpkin pie spice and good vegetative pumpkin, solid. 4.25

Serving Type: Bottle (719 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +7.6%

First had: on tap at Pinocchio's, Media, PA

Served in a tulip, clear, orange-brown color, with a half inch or so of foamy white head; decent retention and lacing. Aroma really can't be beat: sweet and sugary, vanilla, cheesecake complete with graham crust. Taste isn't quite as impressive, but it's still damn good. You get the vanilla and pumpkin cheesecake, graham crust and all, cinnamon and allspice, backed up with caramel malts and a woody, bitter, vegetal element that came in near the end, a blend of pumpkin flesh and earthy hops, I'd say. Overall, I'd say this was quite comparable to Southern Tier Pumking, especially in the way it finished more fleshy and bitter, but I definitely liked the aroma on this one better. Medium body, pretty smooth, pleasant and easily downable. (787 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +6.6%

On-tap at Mari's 6 Pack in reading Pa.
Review from notes
It had a nice copper color body with a nice white head on it. The aroma was of pumpkin pie spices and some graham cracker notes. The taste had a nice blast of spices up front but didn't over power the pumpkin or the graham cracker taste. This beer blew me away, the mouth feel was very nice not to watery but not thick either. Overall this is a great pumpkin beer and defentlly in my top 5 pumpkin beers. (461 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +5.6%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle in to a tulip.

A- Pours a hazy light brown body with some orange hues, topped by an inch and a half of soapy white head that settles to a dense cap.

S- Sweet cinnamon and lots of maple syrup. Very faint pumpkin in the background.

T- Not as deeply rich as the nose would suggest. No single flavor dominates, but pumpkin and spice are there as expected. The notable part of the taste is the hop presence. This bitterness and floral presence adds a great deal to the flavor.

M- Medium feel, medium carbonation. The finish is dryer than most.

O- Solid offering. Would enjoy again. (609 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +4.6%

Served on-tap at the Tasting Room. This is the version with pie crust added to it. Reviewed from notes.

A - Pours bright orange with a small white head leaving small trails of lace down the glass.

S - Smells of pumpkin pulp, cinnamon, graham cracker crust, and vanilla. With the addition of the crust this has become one of the better smelling pumpkin beers I have come across.

T - Starts off with a ton of vanilla and pumpkin pulp quickly giving way to a generous amount of "thanksgiving" spices, caramel malt and the every present graham crackers.

M - Medium body with plenty of flavor and moderate carbonation. Body is a slightly weird mix of pulp and crust, I am not sure why but it just seems to work.

O - This one is pretty good, and is only getting better each time they make it. I will definitely give it another try next year. (840 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +4.6%

Via growler pour on 12/6/10.

A - Emerged from the growler as a rusty medium copper/orange-colored liquid with amber hues and a minimal off-white head that reduced to a thin ring of retention.

S - Pumpkin spices are apparent, especially nutmeg, but also cinnamon and earthy spices. This pumpkin ale also displays a bready malt character reminiscent of pie crust. This is also one of the only pumpkin ales I've come across with some kind of noticeable hop aroma, and suggests mild tea-like and herbal, earthy notes.

T - Initial flavor boasts a nice blend of pie spices with a slight burnt crust character that is pretty damn delicious. I am really digging the malty pie crust aspect of this beer, and it works really well with the tinge of earthy hops. I love the finish. There's pumpkin flesh, moderate spiciness and that delicious crusty presence.

M - Medium bodied with a light syrupy texture, perhaps a tad watery overall. Carbonation is moderate and not too prickly or overbearing. Finishes with a hint of bitterness and mild spiciness on the palate.

D - I'm going to give this beer some love. Nothing overpowers the flavor here, yet it retains a very authentic flavor without being too overly spicy, which is a downfall with many other pumpkin ales. The crusty malt character really shines here and I found this to be an excellent example of what can be done with a pumpkin beer. (1,390 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

A-orange amber color with a nice off-white head and decent lacing

S-pumpkin, caramel malt, cinnamon, nutmeg

T-pumpkin, nutmeg, cinnamon, little vanilla, caramel malt, hint of hops in the background

F-medium body with moderate carbonation, smooth

O-one of the better pumpkin beers, not overly sweet which let's the base flavors shine (337 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +3.3%

2011 batch, on-tap at the Spring House Taproom in Lancaster. Poured into a 10 oz miniature nonic pint glass.

A: Rustic copper colored body with some lighter golden orange hues around the edge. A small white head disappeared rather quickly and left almost nothing expect a thin ring. No lace to speak of.

S: Huge spice notes, nutmeg and touch of cinnamon. A really doughy and crusty pumpkin pie crust comes through, along with hints of graham cracker. Perhaps a bit of pumpkin is on the end but certainly isn't the focus of this beer.

T: As with the nose, the graham cracker and pie crust is the center of attention, and it's really good. I'm not sure if I've ever had a Pumpkin Ale that focused on this aspect but it works really well. The spices are back to complement, this time with more cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg towards the back end.

M: A bit watery, though fairly bubbly and lively. It does make this extremely easy drinking in terms of body but I would have liked just a bit more character, still not bad at all.

This was one of the more interesting Pumpkin Ales I've sampled and certainly one worth trying. I can't speak for the past batches but this one is quite tasty. It's a completely different spectrum and focus for the style, something of which works really well. (1,287 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.25

Aroma smells of cinnamon and spice, with a hint of pumpkin. Dark amber/orange color with nice foam. Average mouthfeel for this style, but the sweet flavors rule right from the get-go.

Great, sweet flavor that reminds me of sweet potato casserole on Thanksgiving day. Tons of cinnamon and nutmeg spice, with sweet pumpkin/yam flavors. Really a delicious dessert beer. (367 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +2.5%

This is the latest batch that was brewed with pie crust. I am reviewing that version. I have had the original and it was just an average pumpkin ale. You have to try the newest batch!

A - Served with a clear, yet dark copper body...the one finger head was white in color and receded to a wispy cap then a solid ring...some lacing

S - Not only do you have a huge pumpkin pie spice presence but there is that underlying aroma from the pie crust that actually makes this smell like the real deal...sweet vanilla can also be detected pretty easily...Deaune described it as french toast, and I can't argue with that

T - Those same players in the nose carry over to the flavor...you get a huge dose of vanilla, pie crust (graham cracker), and pumpkin pie spices...all of those flavors roll around on your palate and you really think you just took a bite, not a drink, of something...as you swallow, some earthy hop flavors come forward as well as the fleshy pumpkin...I wish the vanilla or spices would have ended the beer

M - Medium bodied...pumpkin and hop flavors come out at the finish...earthy finish

O - This is the way Braaaiins! should be made...I loved the addition of the pie crust and I'm guessing extra vanilla as well...the nose was amazing, but I wish those flavors would have carried themselves through the entire beer (1,332 characters)

Look: Poured into a snifter because my tulips are dirty. Reddish amber in color. Poured with a 1-2 finger head which was retained for sometime and never really quite goes away completely.

Smell: Butterscotch and candy. Yes. I'm having a hard time getting pumpkin in the aroma. Butterscotch is very very strong to my nose. Maybe I'm losing my mind.

Taste: Again, butterscotch, with cinnamon and nutmeg. I'm getting just a slight touch of pumpkin at the end. But to me, pumpkin is not a dominate flavor in this ale.

Feel: Medium bodied, easy to drink. Carbonation is on my preferable levels, which is medium.

Overall: I really like this beer. I would NOT think this is a pumpkin ale if blind testing this beer. So maybe It's hitting it's mark as far as being a pumpkin ale, but it is good regardless. I was really looking forward to this beer, as Spring House is one of my favorites, but it's not at all what I was expecting. (928 characters)

Killer pumpkin ale. Sprint House has once again stamped their unique touch on another beer style.

Nose has this interesting presence that reminds me of a pumpkin flavored Jello brand pie with cool whip topping.

Taste in no where near the nose. It'c much more hearty and tamed than initially thought. Strong natural pumpkin presence with nutmeg and tame cinnamon & vanilla along with a good malt presence and hint of backing hops and dare I say citrus zest to round it out.

Mouthfeel is thin into medium bodied which makes this almost too easily drinkable. Only real letdown is the lack of carbonation.....I'd like to see just a bit more.

Overall this is an excellent Pumpkin representation and a top 5 of the style for me. (727 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

Appearance – The beer pours a lightly hazed orange-copper color with a two finger head of an off white color. Seen within the brew are some particulates with tons of carbonation bubbles seen streaming up through the body of the beer. The head has a fantastic level of retention, slowly fading to leave a moderate level of lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma is rather strong of a roasted pumpkin smell with some hints of a bready nature mixed within. Lots of big sweet smells are there as well being mostly of a caramel and vanilla nature, but also containing some smells of toffee and a bit of molasses. Along with the pumpkin and sweet, so too comes the pumpkin pie spices, with aromas of nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, and clove all present.

Taste – The taste begins with a nice roasted pumpkin flavor mixed with some notes of breadiness. Some caramel sweetness and well as a bit of toffee are in the taste as well creating a moderately sweeter flavor for the brew; at least upfront. Soon after the initial taste and enhancing as the flavors advances are flavors of the spices that were detected in the nose, with nutmeg and clove being the strongest. The sweeter flavors begin losing ground however as the flavor advances leaving a slightly drier taste in the middle of the flavor profile. Some flavors of earth and a bit of hay come to the tongue more toward the end of the taste. These are accompanied by a slight enhancement of the roasted pumpkin flavor as well as the sweetness which had dwindled in the middle of the taste. In the end with the mix of flavors that is present in the flavor profile ends up leaving a lightly sweetened and spiced and rather strongly roasted pumpkin flavor to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel -The body of the beer is on the slightly thicker and creamier side with a carbonation level that is one the higher side. The thickness is quite nice for the pumpkin flavors of the brew with the carbonation level helping to accentuate the lighter sweet flavors, giving them just enough of a presence to keep the brew drinkable but not overly sweet.

Overall –A nice pumpkin brew that was not overly sweet, but yet had a nice balanced roasted and spiced flavor. There was just enough sweetness to enhance and compliment the spice and roasted pumpkin flavors. (2,349 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A - Three finger's worth of big rich creamy froth with a delicate slightly rocky cloud like top that is light khaki in color... Excellent retention... The body is a very light gleaming copper with a faint glow about it... A slight bit of micro bubbled rapidly paced carbonation... Gobs of lacing cling to the sides of the glass...

S - A very intriguing aroma... A definitive spice character leads the nose, but one that is not typical for the style - very potpourri like which is a bit odd, but quite alluring after a couple of whiffs... Fresh gourd pulp... Roasted pumpkin seeds... Graham crackers... A light caramel component as well... Oddly, even some orange Gatorade mixed as well...

T - The spices are again at the forefront and coat the tongue evenly... Lots of clove... A little bit cinnamon... Perhaps some nutmeg... The fresh pumpkin is next... Again roasted pumpkin seeds... Some caramel sweetness... The finish has a slightly burnt crust character to it...

M - Medium bodied... Sleek... Light carbonation... Even and consistent... The finish is a bit on the dry side...

D - Overall not a bad Pumpkin Ale... The appearance and aroma are top notch... The taste and mouthfeel are slightly above average... The end result is an overall success that I try to enjoy each autumn... When the beer is this good, I have no problem supporting the "drink local" directive... (1,382 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bomber into a Brewer's Art goblet. Moderate hand. No identifiable date on the bottle.

A: Hazy, cider-colored body with 1/2 finger of rich, almost white, head. Ok retention. Light lacing.

S: Very sweet nose, strong vanilla, marshmellow, caramel, circus peanuts (!). Lighter baking spice, nutmeg. Trace pumpkin. Brown sugar. Pretty unique.

T: Dry malt and spice open up. Transitions to a hop-fueled bitterness for a rather dry finish. The key word here is "dry". Surprisingly so, given the nose. Pretty clean for the style. Lingering bitterness and baking spice in aftertaste.

M: Moderate carbonation and medium to light body. Faint creaminess.

O: There are some interesting things happening here, flavor-wise. High potential, but unfortunately, there is a bit too much hop going on here. I think the bitterness detracts a bit, but this is still a fine brew.

Prost! (905 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -2%

Was able to have this on tap at the brewery last night.

A: dark, aged copper/brown

S: the smell betrays the tastiness of this beer in my opinion. The nose picks up strong notes of water that was used to boil earthy vegetables (go figure!) with a slight hint of spice. I was skeptical based on smell, but was very pleasantly surprised.

T: A real solid brew! The strong earthiness in the nose does not dominate the taste at all. There is 'real' pumpkin taste that is complimented by very subtle and appropriate spices. No liquid pumpkin pie here, just a rock solid ale that happens to be made with pumpkins.

M/F: smooth but with the right amount of carbonation, easy on the tongue and palate, no trace of alcohol

D: I typically do not care for pumpkin ales, and I really do not like spiced-up brews that taste like a melted Yankee candle, and this brew doesn't even come close to that stereotypical nastiness. I could have easily drank several of these. I'm giving it a 4.5 in drinkability because this is one of the most drinkable and repeatable Pumpkin Ales I've tasted

I know that this recipe will be fine-tuned over time, but I really hope that the brewer (Matt) doesn't give in to the commercial masses and turn this into something like all the other scratch-n-sniff sticker-smelling, liquid pie spice bombs that are out there. This is a rock solid brew that could be enjoyed year round. (1,408 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -2%

Bomber > Tulip

A - Cloudy amber with some floating yeast two fingers of thick creamy khaki head, little lacing
S - Candied sweet potato, pumpkin, sweet caramel malt, smells very sugary.
T - Taste isnt as sweet as the aroma leads you to believe, but its still on the sugary side. Lots of sweet pumpkin pie flavor, no pie crust flavors though, a little bit of vanilla comes through.
M - Kinda creamy but a little thin too.
O - Not the usual pumpkin beer I'm used to, very fresh and sweet pumkin flavor. Reminds me of sweet potato casarole a lot for some reason. (560 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours orange/amber with a white soapy head. Aroma of pumpkin, graham, and vanilla. Pumpkin flavor with hint of spice,vanilla,caramel, and graham. Strong cinnamon flavor to the point that it almost overpowers the other spices and vanilla This years version is markedly improved over previous years. (297 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Been holding on to this one for a little bit. Figured I may as well get to it.

Nice looking, but minimal head. The flavor is nice. Not sure if several months have toned it down a bit. If so, I suggest this for all pumpkin ales. It's a nice firm accent, but an accent all the same. Nice level of spices; again, an accent. A bit of a floral thing that I could use less of. But overall, it's a nice one. Been quite some time since I've had a pumpkin beer. Which is mainly due to fear of all the crappy ones out there. (515 characters)

3.81/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had a sample at SN Beer Camp Philly

A-Pours orange amber with a small off-white head. Spotty lacing.

S-Aroma of pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg and some vanilla.

T-Flavor of vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg,clove, and hint of pumpkin.

M-Mouthfeel medium body and low carbonation.

O-Overall this beer smells better than it taste. Could be more fuller on the mouthfeel. (360 characters)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast