Braaaiins! - Spring House Brewing Company

Spring House Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  7.10% ABV

Availability: Fall

Our pumpkin ale is brewed with generous amounts of real pumpkin blended into the mash. The subtle fresh pumpkin flavor is enhanced by the addition of a touch of traditional autumn spices and sweet dough, thus creating a beer with an orange amber color, warm pumpkin aroma, a bold malt center and a crisp finish. We are proud to offer you a balanced and delectable fall treat. Suitable for zombies.

(Beer added by: guzzle211 on 10-02-2010)

Mrs_Mayhem, Sep 27, 2014

Travcofarms, Oct 18, 2013

UncleNeighborChris, Dec 09, 2012

pvequalsnrt, Nov 19, 2011

NonicPanic, Dec 03, 2013

WuBByG999, Sep 01, 2014

First off, Fall is my absolute favorite time of year which means there are so many different beers to try. For me, I stuck with the pumpkin brews. In my quest for the best pumpkin beer, I have tried over ten different tasty beers. NOTHING tops Braaaiins! There is some sort of vanilla hint and a perfectly smooth pumpkin taste. NOTHING compares. Grab one before it's too late!

mjvu11, Nov 07, 2013

X4smurf20x, Sep 21, 2014
4.8/5  rDev +23.4%

Serving: Draft
Location: White Rose Bar & Grill, York, PA

Story:
---
I frequent White Rose Bar & Grill often, not just for their great food, but for their amazing beer selection. In addition to the usual suspects, White Rose rotates through a good deal of craft-beer from the local area as well as national favorites. At any point in time, they likely have a dozen or so craft beers.

Bear in mind, I am a HUGE pumpkin beer fan and it's really my favorite 'style' (if we can call it that). On this particular fall night, I was looking over the beer list and noticed a few pumpkin beers. However, what I didn't notice was an insert into the menu that spoke of a new special beer from Spring House Brewing Company, named Braaaiins! In fact, my girlfriend was the one to notice this insert and after reading the description proclaimed, "I know what you are getting," which was a bold statement. I scoffed at her proclamation, until I read the description myself and instantly bellowed at the waitstaff to bring me this beer at once.

Before I dive into the particulars, I must inform you, this is my ALL time favorite Pumpkin beer, and I've had hundreds, seriously. I loved this beer so much that I immediately pulled out my phone and emailed their brewer to praise him for such an amazing brew. This is something that I had never done before and something I've never done since.

---
Appearance:
---
A traditionally golden orange beer, not entirely clear, but certainly not cloudy. The beer poured with a small, yet smooth head, that just barely lingered. Little lace was found.

---
Smell:
---
The smell was unbelievable. So much so, that if you closed your eyes, your brain would be in disbelief that a real pumpkin pie was not sitting in front of you. The most prominent scent is pumpkin, something that is sadly not always true for a "pumpkin" beer. The flavors that will grace your nose, ever so slightly, will include cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, and a surprise ingredient that will remind you of crust or gram-cracker.

---
Taste:
---
Pumpkin Pie in a glass. It literally cannot be explained any other way. This is the closest to real pumpkin pie you can get without putting a slice in a blender! A strong pumpkin flavor, followed by the perfect hint of spices, cinnamon and nutmeg. The batch even has a flavor of crust that pulls through at the end. It's just creamy enough for you to imagine a dollop of whip cream as you reach for another sip.

---
Mouthfeel:
---
Shockingly light for such a heavy flavored ale. This beer swirls lightly around the pallet, before leaving a smooth, dry finish. This beer is a really easy drinker!

---
Overall:
---
In my opinion, this is the absolute BEST Pumpkin Beer. If you ever have a chance to try this masterpiece, don't pass it up. This extreme flavor powerhouse will wash your Thanksgiving down smoothly, even if it isn't Thanksgiving!

wrayjustin, Aug 09, 2013

prdstmnky, Jun 28, 2013

Rizzy17, Sep 29, 2012

DrDietz, Sep 13, 2014

mickeyartery, Aug 22, 2014

wanderlust389, Aug 07, 2013

samsteff, Jul 07, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +22.1%

This is the standard against which I will hold all other pumpkin beers. On tap at the Spring House. This is liquid thanksgiving. Clove, cinnamon, nutmeg and an intensely full mouthfeel along with prominent pumpkin flavor make this one of the greatest autumn beers I've had the pleasure of tasting.
The alcohol content, while perfect for the style, isn't noticeable on the palate but warms you nicely on a cool autumn night. I can't sing the praises of this one enough. SH beers aren't always homeruns but the spirit of innovation is admirable and this one is a grand slam. I'm proud to have these guys in my city.

HossMcGraw, Oct 18, 2011

canawler, Nov 02, 2013
4.64/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Serving:

On-Tap

Appearance:

This beer had a smooth amber color. The gradient of the color transitioned nicely from a lighter amber color to a darker orange/brown (amber) color. The beer was not cloudy and poured nicely into the glass.

Smell:

This beer had the smell of Pumpkin pie. From the crust all the way to the spices that go into a pumpkin pie. I could smell the cinnamon, nutmeg, and aroma of pumpkin pie. When I closed my eyes and smelled this beer, I could imagine a nice cold piece of pumpkin pie in front of me.

Taste:

As with the smell, the taste of this beer was as if I were eating a piece of pumpkin pie. I could taste the cinnamon, the nutmeg, the pumpkin, and a hint of crust. This aspect of the beer is why I enjoy it so much. It's like liquid pumpkin pie.

The establishment that I visited, Holy Hound Taproom, had dipped the rim of the glass in cinnamon sugar.

The only thing that I could say against this beer, is that when the initial batches are released the beer has a hopier taste. It is not exactly what you would expect; however, as the season moves on the beer seems to balance out and the hoppy taste is lessened. It only alters the flavor a little, being a little more bitter, however, either way this beer is still excellent from the beginning of the season until the end.

Mouthfeel:

This beer is refreshing and pleasant to the pallet. It is medium bodied and goes down smooth.

Overall Thoughts:

I have tried a lot of pumpkin beers and I have to say this one is by far the best. Sadly, most of them don't have the pumpkin taste that I would expect from a pumpkin beer. I am happy to have found a pumpkin beer that is noteworthy and actually taste like pumpkin. If you haven't tried Braaaiins!, then you absolutely need to. This beer is definitely good all year long from a warm summer's day to a cool winters day. Braaaiins' makes it feel like it is Thanksgiving all year 'round.

wraynathan, Aug 10, 2013