Braaaiins! - Spring House Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  7.10% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: guzzle211 on 10-02-2010

Our pumpkin ale is brewed with generous amounts of real pumpkin blended into the mash. The subtle fresh pumpkin flavor is enhanced by the addition of a touch of traditional autumn spices and sweet dough, thus creating a beer with an orange amber color, warm pumpkin aroma, a bold malt center and a crisp finish. We are proud to offer you a balanced and delectable fall treat. Suitable for zombies.
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 232 | Reviews: 34
4.32/5  rDev +13.4%

With crust! At the Lancaster taproom.

A: The pumpkin is an amber brown color, still clear. A thin head comes with the pour.

S: The look is appropriate, the nose is where things get good. The crusted version brings graham with a vengeance. A lactic aroma that nicely mirrors whipped cream adds a new dimension. Beyond those two aspects, there are pumpkin spices but they te

4.7/5  rDev +23.4%

This is the standard against which I will hold all other pumpkin beers. On tap at the Spring House. This is liquid thanksgiving. Clove, cinnamon, nutmeg and an intensely full mouthfeel along with prominent pumpkin flavor make this one of the greatest autumn beers I've had the pleasure of tasting.
The alcohol content, while perfect for the style, isn't noticeable on the palate but warms you nicely on a cool autumn night. I can't sing the praises of this one enough. SH beers aren't always homeruns but the spirit of innovation is admirable and this one is a grand slam. I'm proud to have these guys in my city.

4.04/5  rDev +6%

This is the latest batch that was brewed with pie crust. I am reviewing that version. I have had the original and it was just an average pumpkin ale. You have to try the newest batch!

A - Served with a clear, yet dark copper body...the one finger head was white in color and receded to a wispy cap then a solid ring...some lacing

S - Not only do you have a huge pumpkin pie spice presence but there is that underlying aroma from the pie crust that actually makes this smell like the real deal...sweet vanilla can also be detected pretty easily...Deaune described it as french toast, and I can't argue with that

T - Those same players in the nose carry over to the flavor...you get a huge dose of vanilla, pie crust (graham cracker), and pumpkin pie spices...all of those flavors roll around on your palate and you really think you just took a bite, not a drink, of something...as you swallow, some earthy hop flavors come forward as well as the fleshy pumpkin...I wish the vanilla or spices would have ended the beer

M - Medium bodied...pumpkin and hop flavors come out at the finish...earthy finish

O - This is the way Braaaiins! should be made...I loved the addition of the pie crust and I'm guessing extra vanilla as well...the nose was amazing, but I wish those flavors would have carried themselves through the entire beer

3.73/5  rDev -2.1%

I had this on-tap at the taproom in Lancaster. Poured into a sample glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear red amber with a layer of off white head, fades to a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Reminds me of pumpkin cheese cake. Creamy, bready, cinnamon and pumpkin.

Taste: There is some pumpkin and pie spice up from. Huge taste of graham cracker crust. Sweet spice in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: A very different pumpkin ale. The graham cracker notes were a welcome addition. Creamy smell was a bit weird. I think I enjoyed this one. Love the name!

4.07/5  rDev +6.8%

2011 batch, on-tap at the Spring House Taproom in Lancaster. Poured into a 10 oz miniature nonic pint glass.

A: Rustic copper colored body with some lighter golden orange hues around the edge. A small white head disappeared rather quickly and left almost nothing expect a thin ring. No lace to speak of.

S: Huge spice notes, nutmeg and touch of cinnamon. A really doughy and crusty pumpkin pie crust comes through, along with hints of graham cracker. Perhaps a bit of pumpkin is on the end but certainly isn't the focus of this beer.

T: As with the nose, the graham cracker and pie crust is the center of attention, and it's really good. I'm not sure if I've ever had a Pumpkin Ale that focused on this aspect but it works really well. The spices are back to complement, this time with more cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg towards the back end.

M: A bit watery, though fairly bubbly and lively. It does make this extremely easy drinking in terms of body but I would have liked just a bit more character, still not bad at all.

This was one of the more interesting Pumpkin Ales I've sampled and certainly one worth trying. I can't speak for the past batches but this one is quite tasty. It's a completely different spectrum and focus for the style, something of which works really well.

4.12/5  rDev +8.1%

Via growler pour on 12/6/10.

A - Emerged from the growler as a rusty medium copper/orange-colored liquid with amber hues and a minimal off-white head that reduced to a thin ring of retention.

S - Pumpkin spices are apparent, especially nutmeg, but also cinnamon and earthy spices. This pumpkin ale also displays a bready malt character reminiscent of pie crust. This is also one of the only pumpkin ales I've come across with some kind of noticeable hop aroma, and suggests mild tea-like and herbal, earthy notes.

T - Initial flavor boasts a nice blend of pie spices with a slight burnt crust character that is pretty damn delicious. I am really digging the malty pie crust aspect of this beer, and it works really well with the tinge of earthy hops. I love the finish. There's pumpkin flesh, moderate spiciness and that delicious crusty presence.

M - Medium bodied with a light syrupy texture, perhaps a tad watery overall. Carbonation is moderate and not too prickly or overbearing. Finishes with a hint of bitterness and mild spiciness on the palate.

D - I'm going to give this beer some love. Nothing overpowers the flavor here, yet it retains a very authentic flavor without being too overly spicy, which is a downfall with many other pumpkin ales. The crusty malt character really shines here and I found this to be an excellent example of what can be done with a pumpkin beer.

2.94/5  rDev -22.8%

Poured from Growler to pint glass.

A- pours a deep copper with orange tint at the edge of the glass. A rich white head lingers throughout, leaves little lacing to speak of.

S- Fantastic pumpkin aroma at the beginning, however I get a mineral, almost metallic sent that is more or less off-putting.

T- The pumpkin taste offered by Braaaiins! is certainly a welcome change from many other beers who's taste becomes highly expected when brewed in a mediocre fashion. There is also a flavour of cinnamon that complements the pumpkin very nicely and hangs on the breath long after the drink is finished. What prevents this beer from being great is the occasional flare of a metallic flavour about halfway through the sip, however, I find it comes and goes throughout the drink.

M- Mouthfeel is solid, the beer offers a medium-light body and generally nice composition, but again, I find nothing exceptional, and moreover the metallic taste keeps me from truly enjoying it.

D- Again, the metallic quality of this beer knocks it down from being a quite good beer to overwhelmingly mediocre. I will finnish the remainder of the beer, but would be reluctant to get it again. While a nice change of pace, and certainly worth the try, there are many other better beers Spring House has to offer.

*NOTE- MUCH better fresh from tap.

2.9/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

64 oz growler into a pint glass. Huge thanks to Stakem for picking me a growler of this up on a recent trip to the brewery.

Pours a crystal clear copper, with a finger of off-white foamy head that even looks like it might be a light mocha color depending on the angle. This retains with a creamy layer of fizz that has a good flare-up to it and leaves some patchy swathes of suds down the sides of the glass. The aroma isn't too bad, with a mix of sticky malt and some pumpkin flavor. A festive smelling layer of spice glides along underneath, as does some light feeling green herbal tones. This isn't super robust or anything but manages to keep itself together.

The taste is where things get pretty dicey. This is mostly sweet up front with notes of bready grains (and maybe even a little bit of sweet toffee as well) with a flush of spices coming out across the back. Unfortunately there is a mix of earthy bitterness and raw vegetable feel to the pumpkin meat here that gives the finish on this a dirty and gritty presence in the finish that is honestly pretty darn off-putting (especially as this warms). There is also a mineral taste here, which I think mixes with that aforementioned harsh finish to also add an almost medicinal feel as well. The mouthfeel medium bodied, with a smooth crispness that prickles the tongue which would be fine except that it also unfortunately really helps bring out some of that unpleasant character as well. I'll try not to hold that against the actual feel though.

Quite the puzzling little Pumpkin Ale here, as I know what I experienced with the first couple glasses of this even though most of the other reviews that I have seen so far haven't mentioned it (or at least to the degree that I tasted). To the beer's credit though, I will say that I went back to the growler the next night to reinvestigate things and even though that same medicinal raw veggie and earth finish was still there, it did seemed lessened this time around and not nearly as abrasive. So I don't know. Maybe this isn't as horrible as I had originally thought but I do think that this one definitely needs some tweaking.

3.86/5  rDev +1.3%

Was able to have this on tap at the brewery last night.

A: dark, aged copper/brown

S: the smell betrays the tastiness of this beer in my opinion. The nose picks up strong notes of water that was used to boil earthy vegetables (go figure!) with a slight hint of spice. I was skeptical based on smell, but was very pleasantly surprised.

T: A real solid brew! The strong earthiness in the nose does not dominate the taste at all. There is 'real' pumpkin taste that is complimented by very subtle and appropriate spices. No liquid pumpkin pie here, just a rock solid ale that happens to be made with pumpkins.

M/F: smooth but with the right amount of carbonation, easy on the tongue and palate, no trace of alcohol

D: I typically do not care for pumpkin ales, and I really do not like spiced-up brews that taste like a melted Yankee candle, and this brew doesn't even come close to that stereotypical nastiness. I could have easily drank several of these. I'm giving it a 4.5 in drinkability because this is one of the most drinkable and repeatable Pumpkin Ales I've tasted

I know that this recipe will be fine-tuned over time, but I really hope that the brewer (Matt) doesn't give in to the commercial masses and turn this into something like all the other scratch-n-sniff sticker-smelling, liquid pie spice bombs that are out there. This is a rock solid brew that could be enjoyed year round.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »