The Astounding She Monster Mango IPA - Spring House Brewing Company

The Astounding She Monster Mango IPAThe Astounding She Monster Mango IPA

Spring House Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: Kegatron on 03-28-2011

Our juiciest beer features ripe mango and tropical hop aroma on the nose followed by a mild bitterness from the Citra and Falconer's Flight hops and some alcohol warmth to balance out the sweetness of the fresh mango.
to view more.
Ratings: 288 | Reviews: 34
2.92/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Looks great. Very little nose, & the taste doesn't resemble mango at all. It's just a smooth & average IPA. It's good for that, but doesn't justify the "mango" in the name.

Picked up a single of this brew at my local establishment, Civera's Deli in Drexel Hill. Interesting concept going with mango and it was recommended by a friend of mine, so let's see how it goes.

Appearance: Pours a dark, straw-like, but also deep orange body. Amber coloring, with a touch of brown towards the bottom, but stays amber throughout. Head is about an inch and a half that dissipated quicker than I wanted. Could be the age possibly. Does leave a nice lacing on the way down.

Smell: Upon first inspection, I do get the slight hint of mango and other citrus-like scents. Could also be the hops. Pretty deep tropical aromas come through. Further inspection reveals and finishes off with a cantaloupe scent.

Taste: First sips reveal a balanced, not so complex flavor that is mostly dominated by pine-like hops. Maybe a bready-like malt character that is very obvious and almost dominating. Mango is ever so slightly present with some other tropical hops. Cantaloupe is also present and is somewhat sweet on the way down. Kind of a let-down.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation and somewhat medium body. Finishes slightly dry.

Overall: Coming into this brew, I was excited to check out something from a small brewery and new/interesting. Kind of a let-down. I guess my expectations were set too high? It was good for an IPA, but had too much of a pine and bready flavor. Balanced, but too average. I may recommend to a friend, but I probably won't have again

Very nice IPA. It has a nice mango nose.

3.79/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: A bit of a bubble show produces a thick head that caps the amber liquid; nice retention and a fair amount of splashy lace is left behind

Smell: Floral and sweet tropical fruit tones - as much cantaloupe as there is mango

Taste: Shortbread malt up front with tropical fruit flavors developing, in the middle; it doesn't scream mango as much as it does cantaloupe but there is mango in there, for sure; the finish is rather sweet

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Overall: Like everyone else, I try to drink my IPAs fresh but somehow this managed to sit in my cellar for about nine months; still, while it wasn't as hoppy as I am sure it was when fresh, I got the general idea and I still rather enjoyed it

Thanks, justanewby, for the opportunity

4.42/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

had this in a flight at the tasting room yesterday and was fairly impressed (my notes scored this one in the 4.25+ range) so i nabbed a bottle for closer inspection. enjoyed from a TB batch 2 22oz snifter.

a - brew pours a transparent yellow orange with a nice frothy classic ipa head. the lace coated the glass as the head dissipated. some nice visible carbonation.

s - nose is excellent. the mango really compliments a classic lush resiny tropical hoppy ipa.

t/m - as the nose suggests, a lush mango infused tropical dank hoppy ipa. really tasty and REALLY drinkable. super refreshing, i could drink this all day. full bodied and massively flavorful. nice carbonation. feels big enough to be an imperial, but it is not which makes it really stand out to me.

o - a winner. i'm surprised by the lackluster scores on this one. i am just as impressed with the bottle as i was when i tried it in the flight. if i was local, i would drink this beer constantly. LOVE it.

Pours a light orange color with good clarity. Aroma of citrus and tropical fruit, soft mango. In the taste, tropical citrus and a hint of mango, but not at the forefront. Strong bitterness and pineapple, with mango in the finish. Medium bodied with solid carbonation. Overall, this is much more of an ipa than a fruit beer, and it's for the best. This is solid.

3.88/5  rDev +2.1%

Obtained through a trade with Afroman, thanks duder! Pours a dark orange-amber with a frothy off-white head.

Smells of fermented fruit, with slight whiffs of cantaloupe, accompanied by a nice hoppy bitterness.

I was hoping for more cantaloupe here, but the taste of the fermentation came through stronger than any scent of fresh cantaloupe could balance so I was a little let down, but still tasty don't get me wrong!

Felt like a mouthful of cantaloupe that has been sitting at 80 degrees under a mattress in a jar would taste like after 2 months, not that great, but the flavor character makes up for it.

Overall a mediocre IPA, but very glad to get a chance to try it. I'll have to travel east sometime and make a stop at the brewery to taste it fresh as I'm sure that could have something to do with it.

3.47/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served on tap. Has a dark amberish color with a 1 inch head. Smell is kind of mild, hops, touch of mango. Taste is well balanced malts and hops, light bitterness, slight sweetness, really not getting much in the way of mango. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a pretty good beer.

3.87/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bomber > Tulip Glass

A - Hazy dark red, burgundy color with one finger of foamy off white head, no lacing.
S - The aroma flourishes once this thing warms up, lots of ripe mango, some toasted bread, a little hint of alcohol, some really herbal traces in it too.
T - Again the mango flavor shines once it reaches lukewarm temperatures, but while initially there, it gets buried under this massive malt attack. Almost nutty, its kind of a roasted malt, but unfortunately it doesnt let the mango be the star for more than the initial taste. Some earthy hop bites do stand up to the malt, but nothing significant.
M - Very chewy in texture, leaves the palate on the bitter dry side.
O - Spring house can have a real winner, if they change around the hops, and do an overhaul on the malt. If anything I'd actually call this an Imperial Red Ale. The color is wrong, and for the most part the malt dominates the hops. Though I was glad to have gotten this beer.

3.79/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A - Just shy of a finger's worth of plush light khaki colored audibly fizzy head... Limited retention gives way to a mostly full veil of lace and a slight collar... The color is a deep dark resiny amber... A limited number of slightly sluggish carbonation bubbles rise throughout...

S - The nose is much more delicate than I had anticipated... First up are a moderately potent citrusy hop goodness... Next comes the sweet mango just as if I had cut into one... There is a solid malt base that lingers beneath the surface... First is the slightly sweet caramel followed by rich doughy notes...

T - The mango sweetness never materializes on the palate... Instead your hit with a fairly potent array of hoppiness... First is strong pungent pine notes... Next are some floral notes... There is a mild citrus presence that is buried way beneath the surface... The malty balance alluded to on the nose is also MIA... There is also a slight medicinal presence on the finish... Not bad by any means, just not what I was expected...

M - On the fuller side of medium bodied... A slight bit of crisp bubbly carbonation... Perhaps a bit thin... Dry and slightly astringent throughout...

D - Not a great American IPA... Not a bad American IPA... This one is situated somewhere squarely in the middle... My largest complaint is that other than the aroma, the mango alluded to in the name of the brew is mostly missing in action... The end result is an average to slightly above average American IPA and the craft beer world is loaded with those...

4.16/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

At first I did not believe I would enjoy this brew but to my surprise it was very delicious. I really enjoyed the taste. It was not too fruity or too heavy. It was not as bitter as I thought so it was a little easier to drink. When the percentage of alcohol read 7.7% how could I resist? I had two.

4.17/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Spring House is one of my favorite Brewery's. The labels and art work is great. Very creative names. Just seem like some fun people. Being a local brewery, I don't understand why I can't find the Mango IPA around me in central PA.

Appearance: Nice, reddish, orange color. Makes me think of mango's.

Smell: Citrus, mango, hops, sweetness

Taste: Definitely mango. That's the point right? In the top three as far as IPA's I've had. Not extremely bitter. A plus for me.

Mouthfeel: Nice carbonation. But goes down smooth

Overall: I'd rate this right up with with 90 Minute from Dogfish Head. Again, I wish I could find more of this in my area. I can find other various Spring House brews, but I had to go to the TapRoom in Lancaster to have on tap and take a bomber home with me.

4.22/5  rDev +11.1%

DATE TASTED: October 31, 2013... GLASSWARE: Maudite snifter... OCCASION: Halloween beer drinking while listening to Bloom-Shipp on the radio... APPEARANCE: dark ruby-brown body; sparse, arching lacing spawned from two-finger off-white head... AROMA: sharp, highly citric hops--a bit of bubblegum and tangerine/mango--flavorful...PALATE: medium-to-full bodied mouthfeel that laces the tongue and warms the throat--full of fortitude...TASTE: fruity, zesty, teeth-rattling hops that coat and clot the mouth with pears, mangoes and apples...OVERALL: more spoils of fantasy sports from Ryan; besides bragging rights, I am treated to some of PA's better micros, and though Conestoga is not a brewery I've sampled before, it will be one I seek bombers from in the future, considering the substantial quality of this fruit bomb of an IPA ...

3.87/5  rDev +1.8%

Mango IPA? Are they growing mangos in the Lancaster area now? Wouldn’t have expected that. Not quite the tropical zone there and all.
Very dark off the pour. Almost in brown ale territory. Nose is very much like a mango. The floral and fruity fragrance is there. Flavor carries much of the same. Hops seem to be very earthy and oily in general. Hard to tell with the mango flavor covering things, but that’s what seems to come off. Smooth feel. Easy enough to drink. And an interesting production. Nothing mind blowing, but it’s a nice beer.

3.55/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into an over-sized wine glass. Could not find a date on the bottle.

Pours a dark amber color with a nice 1 finger thick white head. Much darker than I expected. I was sure it would be a lighter color. Really love the label art from Spring House and this one is no exception. Would still like to see a visible date and the abv.

Aroma's of dank earthiness, strong malts and assertive hops. Not picking up on any mango in the aroma at first, however after it warms up it starts to come out more.

More of an East Coast style IPA, dark and earthy and assertive on the palate. Would enjoy a little less abrasive hops and more of a fruitiness you would get from a mid-west style IPA, like a Double Trouble. Getting more of a lemony taste, just not getting the mango out of this one at all

Very full mouthfeel lots of hops and malts very little carbonation. Lingering assertive hops on the tip of the tongue. Not picking up on the alcohol at all.

Overall this is a good East Coast IPA. I would really like to have the mango come out more since it is right on the label, because if it wasn't I would not be able to pick it out at all. I guess I was expecting much more than what I got out of it. Still a tasty offering from a fairly local brewery. Lancaster area is just blowing up with some good breweries as of late and that makes me happy. Still one to try whether you can taste the mango or not.
Cheers!

3.75/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

On tap at Tj's in Paoli.
Golden amber in color with excellent, bright white lacing and decent head retention.
Aroma is a tad faint for what I was expecting, but more of the mango shows up after it warms a little bit.
Taste is very enjoyable. Not a mango punch in the face, but a very solid addition/complement to the style. Spring House has a darker, more malty IPA and this was no exception, but the fruit added a little more sweetness, which I enjoyed because it helped cut down on the bitterness.
Finished very clean. Carbonation spot on and no detection of the alcohol. Very easy drinking here once your palate gets used to the minor sweet aspect of this one.
Very solid execution from Spring House. Looking forward to the day they kick this up a notch.

3.91/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

I have no idea what the rest of these reviewers are smoking...this beer drew my attention thanks to the mango ingredient. I hate fruit in my beer, but I LOVE mangoes. I did not even hesitate. The first tip to my lips made me say wow! It is a full bodied IPA with a powerfully not too sweet flavor of mango. The front end flavor has the tropical body with the back end ending in a familiar bitterness of my IPA that I love to drink. Granted you will only need two of these during a sitting, it will be full of flavor. Thanks Spring House for a great idea. I plan to clone this beer but taper back the IBU's to make it more drinkable as soft ale.

3.53/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

A-dark amber with a non existent head, just white around the edge

S-faint scent of aged grains and spices. has a fruityness that could pass for some mango, but it's not very apparent.'

T-comes in with a mild flavor of grains and hops and maybe some mango, if that's what you tell me it is. it definitely does have a sticky bitterness to it that sticks to your tongue for awhile. it's a mellow flavor that doesn't really leave an impression, but also has no negative flavors to it.

M-medium creamy carbonation with a creamy finish

O-this is a really average IPA. i bought it because I thought the idea of a mango IPA sounded interesting. it's definitely a fun beer to drink and the bomber won't go to waste, but there isn't anything here that makes me suggest anyone else to buy it nor would i buy it again.

3.15/5  rDev -17.1%

$7.75 bomber from Abe's.

Bright amber body with slight chill haze. Plentiful carbonation streams. Three fingers of billowing off-white foam.

Big mango aroma. Comes across as fresh fruit rather than juice.

Extra sweet beginning. Could use a little depth. Plenty of juicy fruit, but the mango seems to be sitting on top of he beer rather than integrated into the beer. Not much bitterness to balance all the fruit.

Mouthfeel is on the wimpy side for an IPA.

Interesting idea, but comes off as just ok at best.

3.67/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: The beer is dark, dirty, cloudy. I LOVE it, no unnecessary filtering or clarifying, the beer is perfectly imperfect.

Smell: Mangoes. Mangoes. Mangoes.

Taste: Starts with a mango kick in the mouth. Finishes hoppy. It's kind of weird when the two powers combine into mangohop. It kind of works, kind of. But I keep drinking for the mango front and hoppy finish.

Mouthfeel: Not to heavy, not too thin, just right.

Overalll: Am interesting summer beer. Could not drink more than one every so often, but a neat beer to try once.

4.09/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

on tap at the Taproom in Lancaster - served in imperial pint

Fully clouded ruby red grapefruit-orange pour with a one-finger topping of creamy white head. Fades out into some rings of patchy lacing on the glass.

A tropical wave of mangos, pineapples and grapefruits. Hoppy and fruity with soft sweetness and a soft malt presence. Light alcohol glow as well.

Fruity and bitter right up front with plenty of tropical tones and juicy hops. Cornucopia of mango, pineapple and grapefruit with pithy citrus. Milder malt backbone with toasted grain and soft sweetness. Finishes hoppy and juicy on the tongue.

Medium body, well carbonated, bitter and fairly aggressive on the palate. Really pleasant and impressive tropical fruit-forward IPA - I could have had another but there were too many other beers I wanted to try here.

3.67/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This poured out as a nice clear amber color with a cream colored head on top. The retention on this one was pretty solid as well as the lacing. The smell of the beer was moderately hoppy with a big sweetness on the nose... I wasn't able to pick up on much Mango. Not sure why? The taste is malty with a very subtle fruitiness to it with the hops following up in the finish. The mouthfeel was medium bodied and nicely carbonated. Overall I feel this one could have used more of the fruit in it but maybe I just needed to try it as my first beer of the night also. Either way it's a pretty good brew and odds are I would buy it again.

4.18/5  rDev +10%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

22oz bomber.
I poured this into a glass, it has a deep orange color body with a nice white head that retains it self for a while. The smell has a light citrus aroma with a hop smell also coming through. The taste has a sweetness up front, then the hop hits the back of the tongue. The hoppy ness of this beer is like a pale ale, but very tasty. I don't get alot of mango but the sweetness is there.
It has a great mouthfeel, leaves a nice after taste on the tongue. Overall a really good ipa.

4.09/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Served on tap in a snifter

Appearance- The beer is served a deep golden honey color with a small just off white head. The head has a good level of retention slowly fading over time to leave a nice level of lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma is bready and hoppy. The hop is mainly of a citrus nature with grapefruit and lemon, but has other smells of a earthy hop as well. Mixed with the hop and the bread are some notes of tropical fruits (tangerine, mango and papaya) giving it a nice sweet and hoppy aroma overall.

Taste – The taste begins with a sweet fruit flavor of tangerine, mango and papaya with some caramel sweetness as well. At the start the tangerine dominates the sweeter fruit flavors, but this changes more toward the end. Upfront there is also a bit of breadiness that fades as the flavor advances, with a hop flavor of a citrus grapefruit upfront as well. At the start the hop is more on the mild side, but this changes more toward the middle and the end of the taste as the grapefruit hop intensifies in nature and is joined by a bit of an earthy taste. The earthy and grapefruit hop make a nice combo that at the end come with the mango sweetness now overtaking the tangerine. At the finish the total combination of transitions results in a rather bitter hoppy but fruity flavor to be left on the tongue.

Mouthfeel- The body of the beer is on the slightly thicker and creamier side with a carbonation level that was very average. It is quite nice for the style as it nicely complemented both the fruit and hop flavors of the brew.

Overall- A rather tasty IPA overall with a good fruitiness but a nice bitterness as well. Well worth a try.

3.55/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

First had: on tap at the Taproom, Lancaster, PA

A hazy, golden-orange liquid with a small fizzy head that receded to a ringlet; minimal lacing. Aroma contained a good bit of mango, as promised, sweet and malty, with a light hoppiness. Came off more as an APA than an IPA in both smell and taste. Mango and citrus zest in the taste, sweet, but not cloying, a solid bready malt base, hops being more muted than crisp. Medium body, moderately chewy, easily drinkable. Good, but not quite what I'm looking for in an IPA.

to view more.