Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

The Astounding She-Monster Mango I.P.A. | Spring House Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |

The Astounding She-Monster Mango I.P.A.The Astounding She-Monster Mango I.P.A.

Spring House Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Our juiciest beer features ripe mango and tropical hop aroma on the nose followed by a mild bitterness from the Citra and Falconer's Flight hops and some alcohol warmth to balance out the sweetness of the fresh mango.

Added by Kegatron on 03-28-2011

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews: 40 | Ratings: 345
4.42/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

had this in a flight at the tasting room yesterday and was fairly impressed (my notes scored this one in the 4.25+ range) so i nabbed a bottle for closer inspection. enjoyed from a TB batch 2 22oz snifter.

a - brew pours a transparent yellow orange with a nice frothy classic ipa head. the lace coated the glass as the head dissipated. some nice visible carbonation.

s - nose is excellent. the mango really compliments a classic lush resiny tropical hoppy ipa.

t/m - as the nose suggests, a lush mango infused tropical dank hoppy ipa. really tasty and REALLY drinkable. super refreshing, i could drink this all day. full bodied and massively flavorful. nice carbonation. feels big enough to be an imperial, but it is not which makes it really stand out to me.

o - a winner. i'm surprised by the lackluster scores on this one. i am just as impressed with the bottle as i was when i tried it in the flight. if i was local, i would drink this beer constantly. LOVE it.

4.32/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My first time visiting the Spring House Taproom in Lancaster with my girlfriend. Mango IPA, holy hell that sounds delicious, served in a 12 ounce snifter glass.

A: Clear, light copper colored body with a slightly off-white (perhaps even white) head. Nothing but a thin retention ring around the edges of the glass with almost no lacing. Some little patches here and there but nothing great.

S: Mango forward nose with loads of juicy mango, citrus fruits, orange oils and ginger. A grainy malt backbone shows up towards the end of the aroma but the citrusy hops and mango are the focus of this beer.

T: Loads of delicious mangoes control the palate, along with very West Coast-esque citrus hops. The bitterness here is quite moderate, not overdone, and my girlfriend who generally doesn't like bitter beers was a fan of this. The finish is somewhat dry though quite fruity. I feel like this beer has an amazing balance of citrusy hops and enough fruity flavors to strike an incredibly diverse profile.

M: Medium-bodied, prickly carbonation enough to provide a wonderful body with really great delivery to the entire palate. I wish all IPAs had this same mouth feel, simple great.

This is one IPA that is seriously fruit-forward, and in terms of mangoes it works extremely well. I think the citrus qualities play very well with the hops and give this a balanced body and flavor. One IPA I could literally see myself drinking daily. Outstanding and it's a shame this isn't bottled to share.

4.22/5  rDev +9.9%

DATE TASTED: October 31, 2013... GLASSWARE: Maudite snifter... OCCASION: Halloween beer drinking while listening to Bloom-Shipp on the radio... APPEARANCE: dark ruby-brown body; sparse, arching lacing spawned from two-finger off-white head... AROMA: sharp, highly citric hops--a bit of bubblegum and tangerine/mango--flavorful...PALATE: medium-to-full bodied mouthfeel that laces the tongue and warms the throat--full of fortitude...TASTE: fruity, zesty, teeth-rattling hops that coat and clot the mouth with pears, mangoes and apples...OVERALL: more spoils of fantasy sports from Ryan; besides bragging rights, I am treated to some of PA's better micros, and though Conestoga is not a brewery I've sampled before, it will be one I seek bombers from in the future, considering the substantial quality of this fruit bomb of an IPA ...

4.18/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

22oz bomber.
I poured this into a glass, it has a deep orange color body with a nice white head that retains it self for a while. The smell has a light citrus aroma with a hop smell also coming through. The taste has a sweetness up front, then the hop hits the back of the tongue. The hoppy ness of this beer is like a pale ale, but very tasty. I don't get alot of mango but the sweetness is there.
It has a great mouthfeel, leaves a nice after taste on the tongue. Overall a really good ipa.

4.17/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Spring House is one of my favorite Brewery's. The labels and art work is great. Very creative names. Just seem like some fun people. Being a local brewery, I don't understand why I can't find the Mango IPA around me in central PA.

Appearance: Nice, reddish, orange color. Makes me think of mango's.

Smell: Citrus, mango, hops, sweetness

Taste: Definitely mango. That's the point right? In the top three as far as IPA's I've had. Not extremely bitter. A plus for me.

Mouthfeel: Nice carbonation. But goes down smooth

Overall: I'd rate this right up with with 90 Minute from Dogfish Head. Again, I wish I could find more of this in my area. I can find other various Spring House brews, but I had to go to the TapRoom in Lancaster to have on tap and take a bomber home with me.

4.16/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

At first I did not believe I would enjoy this brew but to my surprise it was very delicious. I really enjoyed the taste. It was not too fruity or too heavy. It was not as bitter as I thought so it was a little easier to drink. When the percentage of alcohol read 7.7% how could I resist? I had two.

4.15/5  rDev +8.1%

Overall a nice well balanced IPA, Smooth and drinkable. The mango doesn't really show up until the beer warms a bit around second pour from bottle (22oz). When it does it is very good, delicious and very complimentary to base malts and hops. Nice beer. Spring House continues to make good tasting and interesting beers. Will have again if opportunity arises.

4.09/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Served on tap in a snifter

Appearance- The beer is served a deep golden honey color with a small just off white head. The head has a good level of retention slowly fading over time to leave a nice level of lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma is bready and hoppy. The hop is mainly of a citrus nature with grapefruit and lemon, but has other smells of a earthy hop as well. Mixed with the hop and the bread are some notes of tropical fruits (tangerine, mango and papaya) giving it a nice sweet and hoppy aroma overall.

Taste – The taste begins with a sweet fruit flavor of tangerine, mango and papaya with some caramel sweetness as well. At the start the tangerine dominates the sweeter fruit flavors, but this changes more toward the end. Upfront there is also a bit of breadiness that fades as the flavor advances, with a hop flavor of a citrus grapefruit upfront as well. At the start the hop is more on the mild side, but this changes more toward the middle and the end of the taste as the grapefruit hop intensifies in nature and is joined by a bit of an earthy taste. The earthy and grapefruit hop make a nice combo that at the end come with the mango sweetness now overtaking the tangerine. At the finish the total combination of transitions results in a rather bitter hoppy but fruity flavor to be left on the tongue.

Mouthfeel- The body of the beer is on the slightly thicker and creamier side with a carbonation level that was very average. It is quite nice for the style as it nicely complemented both the fruit and hop flavors of the brew.

Overall- A rather tasty IPA overall with a good fruitiness but a nice bitterness as well. Well worth a try.

4.09/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

on tap at the Taproom in Lancaster - served in imperial pint

Fully clouded ruby red grapefruit-orange pour with a one-finger topping of creamy white head. Fades out into some rings of patchy lacing on the glass.

A tropical wave of mangos, pineapples and grapefruits. Hoppy and fruity with soft sweetness and a soft malt presence. Light alcohol glow as well.

Fruity and bitter right up front with plenty of tropical tones and juicy hops. Cornucopia of mango, pineapple and grapefruit with pithy citrus. Milder malt backbone with toasted grain and soft sweetness. Finishes hoppy and juicy on the tongue.

Medium body, well carbonated, bitter and fairly aggressive on the palate. Really pleasant and impressive tropical fruit-forward IPA - I could have had another but there were too many other beers I wanted to try here.

4.06/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Spring House B.C. just recently began CANning this cute little monster & when I had an extra CAN or two of something else in trade, this was offered in return!

From the CAN: "Ale Brewed With Mango". A Rexam CAN, no less!

I Crack!ed her open and turned her upside down for the Glug. Lots of wailing & screaming aCANpanied by the rising of three fingers of dense, rocky, tawny head with good retention. Once she settled down, I had enough sticky lacing to hold me over until my next beerthday. Color was an oh-so-slightly-hazy Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9), suggesting that her lair may not have its own filtration system. It pains me to report this, but I have been working with Doctor Who & Torchwood in an effort to deflect their attention away from me. You see, repeated forays into the CANned Minhas world have turned me into The Cyberleader, but I only change form when drinking a Minhas Craft Brewery beer so that I am undetectable in the interim. I am strengthening my guise by reporting all other monsters as I come in CANtact with them. A final shake of the CAN released a load of lees that had been in hiding. I would suggest that if clarity is your goal, deCANt this Monster slowly. Nose smelled heavily of mango, like She was wearing it as perfume. Mmmm. Astounding! Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, but prickly with a good bit of carbonation and a tad of fusel alcohol warmth on the tongue. She was clearly not going to be CANsumed without putting up a modicum of resistance. It is of no matter to me. She will be CANverted like so many others! Her finish was smooth, bitter as befits those who resist, but satisfying. I will be gathering these Monsters as quickly & as copiously as I CAN, lest any escape!

4.01/5  rDev +4.4%

This was the second batch of Mango IPA. A pint at the Taproom sometime in August.

A - Served with a hazy, deep orange body...the head was small and faded quickly...it settled into a spider web cap...not much lacing left behind

S - This one is sweet and loaded with juicy mango...it's pretty one dimensional but it's a great nose...reminded me of a candle

T - The sweetness sticks around from start to finish just as the nose suggested...the hops come in towards the back end of the beer...there is fleshy mango in the middle and it actually comes across a little earthy...these flavors are reminding me of Fruity Pebbles

M - Medium bodied...mild bitterness...sweet, but not cloying...cereal finish

O - I heard this was a step up from the first attempt...I'm a fan of this beer...a great nose with some great flavors going on...like I said it smelled like a candle and tasted like Fruity Pebbles...I'd order this one again

Great mango IPA the smell is more pronounced than the taste but it is still very well integrated for an IPA. Worth the price for a 3 dollar can which I am glad Spring house is doing since bombers were 8-9 dollars each. Give it a try!

Pours a light orange color with good clarity. Aroma of citrus and tropical fruit, soft mango. In the taste, tropical citrus and a hint of mango, but not at the forefront. Strong bitterness and pineapple, with mango in the finish. Medium bodied with solid carbonation. Overall, this is much more of an ipa than a fruit beer, and it's for the best. This is solid.

Picked up a single of this brew at my local establishment, Civera's Deli in Drexel Hill. Interesting concept going with mango and it was recommended by a friend of mine, so let's see how it goes.

Appearance: Pours a dark, straw-like, but also deep orange body. Amber coloring, with a touch of brown towards the bottom, but stays amber throughout. Head is about an inch and a half that dissipated quicker than I wanted. Could be the age possibly. Does leave a nice lacing on the way down.

Smell: Upon first inspection, I do get the slight hint of mango and other citrus-like scents. Could also be the hops. Pretty deep tropical aromas come through. Further inspection reveals and finishes off with a cantaloupe scent.

Taste: First sips reveal a balanced, not so complex flavor that is mostly dominated by pine-like hops. Maybe a bready-like malt character that is very obvious and almost dominating. Mango is ever so slightly present with some other tropical hops. Cantaloupe is also present and is somewhat sweet on the way down. Kind of a let-down.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation and somewhat medium body. Finishes slightly dry.

Overall: Coming into this brew, I was excited to check out something from a small brewery and new/interesting. Kind of a let-down. I guess my expectations were set too high? It was good for an IPA, but had too much of a pine and bready flavor. Balanced, but too average. I may recommend to a friend, but I probably won't have again

3.98/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured gently at 47°F from a 12oz can (canned on 10Feb16) into a Spiegelau IPA glass. Consumed on 26Mar16.
LOOK: Pours with three fingers worth of dense, white foam. At 35 seconds, the foam becomes rocky and poruous. Within 2 and a half minutes, the head has receded to a fingers worth, leaving behind a moderate amount of very thick lacing. Honey orange in color with a high amount of cloudiness. There is a large quantity of both small and medium-sized rising bubbles. Lacing is high in quantity and both thick and very thick.
SMELL: Very strong aromas of mango, peach, papaya, and apricot nearly suffocate the mild aromas piney hops and white bread, but I love it.
TASTE: Strong piney hop flavors surprisingly are the first that dance upon my tongue. I was not expecting this given the smell. Strong mango, peach, apricot, papaya and bitter hop flavors immediately roll out. I'm somewhat disappointed that the fruit flavors aren't as prevalant as they are in the smell. And I'm very disappointed that this has so much bitterness. Lastly, mild white bread flavors enter and bring a malt balance to the hop explosion as all previous flavors persist.
FEEL: Somewhere between medium-bodied and full-bodied. Carbonation levels are moderate. Goes down somewhat smooth and creamy. Finishes with a strong and unpleasant dryness.

3.96/5  rDev +3.1%

On tap at Spring House Taproom on 4/1/11.

A - Extremely muddy-looking, opaque liquid akin to unfiltered apple cider with no head whatsoever. Looks more like freshly squeezed fruit juice instead of beer.

S - Fresh mango aroma with a hint of herbal and citrus hop notes. Nose is quite fruity but not overly sweet or malty at all.

T - Flavor is immensely fruity with a juicy citrus flair and lots of mango backed by a wheat bread malt character. Finishes with a healthy dose of herbal and grassy hop bitterness amid more juicy, citrusy attributes.

M - Juicy and bittersweet with prickly carbonation at first, but then settles. Quite bitter in the backend, with the bitterness lingering on the palate for a while. There is also a decent amount of acidity, resulting in some mild mouth pucker.

D - Pretty damn tasty fruit IPA with a pretty fresh, authentic mango character. There's quite a bit of hops in there, too. Very solid but not amazing. Looking forward to some tweaking to this recipe.

3.91/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

I have no idea what the rest of these reviewers are smoking...this beer drew my attention thanks to the mango ingredient. I hate fruit in my beer, but I LOVE mangoes. I did not even hesitate. The first tip to my lips made me say wow! It is a full bodied IPA with a powerfully not too sweet flavor of mango. The front end flavor has the tropical body with the back end ending in a familiar bitterness of my IPA that I love to drink. Granted you will only need two of these during a sitting, it will be full of flavor. Thanks Spring House for a great idea. I plan to clone this beer but taper back the IBU's to make it more drinkable as soft ale.

3.9/5  rDev +1.6%

a: This was a slightly hazy golden honey color, It was served to me with a small, sticky cap.

s: Sweet, sugary caramel, citrusy hops with hints of lemon, and a fairly strong whiff of fresh mango.

t: The mango flavor was surprisingly strong, a very pleasant surprise. It worked with with the sweet bready malts and bitter, tingly citrus.

m: Fairly heavy with prickly carbonation.

o: Very solid overall, a little more fresh citrus and a bit less bitterness would dial it in for me.

3.89/5  rDev +1.3%

L - Golden-orange. Frothy heads reduces to patches in 3 minutes. Looks a-ok.
S - Big ripe (over-ripe?) mango, syrupy sweetness, clean citrus in there as well. Big aroma, pungent, interesting.
T - Bitter melon, big mango without being too sweet, pine mingled with caramel. Fruity. Bitter pine dominates the aftertaste.
F - Medium body, good carbonation.
O - The mango is happening, but it's not sweet. Big aroma and flavor, kinda funky but I would have it again. Cheers!

3.88/5  rDev +1%

Obtained through a trade with Afroman, thanks duder! Pours a dark orange-amber with a frothy off-white head.

Smells of fermented fruit, with slight whiffs of cantaloupe, accompanied by a nice hoppy bitterness.

I was hoping for more cantaloupe here, but the taste of the fermentation came through stronger than any scent of fresh cantaloupe could balance so I was a little let down, but still tasty don't get me wrong!

Felt like a mouthful of cantaloupe that has been sitting at 80 degrees under a mattress in a jar would taste like after 2 months, not that great, but the flavor character makes up for it.

Overall a mediocre IPA, but very glad to get a chance to try it. I'll have to travel east sometime and make a stop at the brewery to taste it fresh as I'm sure that could have something to do with it.

3.87/5  rDev +0.8%

Mango IPA? Are they growing mangos in the Lancaster area now? Wouldn’t have expected that. Not quite the tropical zone there and all.
Very dark off the pour. Almost in brown ale territory. Nose is very much like a mango. The floral and fruity fragrance is there. Flavor carries much of the same. Hops seem to be very earthy and oily in general. Hard to tell with the mango flavor covering things, but that’s what seems to come off. Smooth feel. Easy enough to drink. And an interesting production. Nothing mind blowing, but it’s a nice beer.

3.87/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bomber > Tulip Glass

A - Hazy dark red, burgundy color with one finger of foamy off white head, no lacing.
S - The aroma flourishes once this thing warms up, lots of ripe mango, some toasted bread, a little hint of alcohol, some really herbal traces in it too.
T - Again the mango flavor shines once it reaches lukewarm temperatures, but while initially there, it gets buried under this massive malt attack. Almost nutty, its kind of a roasted malt, but unfortunately it doesnt let the mango be the star for more than the initial taste. Some earthy hop bites do stand up to the malt, but nothing significant.
M - Very chewy in texture, leaves the palate on the bitter dry side.
O - Spring house can have a real winner, if they change around the hops, and do an overhaul on the malt. If anything I'd actually call this an Imperial Red Ale. The color is wrong, and for the most part the malt dominates the hops. Though I was glad to have gotten this beer.

3.85/5  rDev +0.3%

A pint glass at the taproom.

A: This is the murkiest ale I've ever had. Resembling pumpkin pulp in a glass, the ale is completely opaque. An amber color aside from the pulp, this is a seriously unusual color. No head or lace to speak of.

S: The nose is hoppy with pleny of malt and fruit in support. Citrus, both in the mango and hop formats are in strong supply.

T: IPA forward, mango in the back. Reminds me of that old t-shirt at Boscov's, "Liquor in the front, poker in the rear." As a kid that was hilarious... The hoppiness is plentiful, a citrus mix with the mango. The fruit is more of a side effect, an add-on taste. No doubt though, the mango is there asa bright addition.

M: The mouthfeel is malty as much as it is citrusy. The mango is a pleasant addition. The ale fills the niche between Seven Gates and Beyond the Gates.

3.84/5  rDev 0%

Half pint at SH Tap Room

Pours a turbid, pulpy unfiltered dark brown/amber color with a transient cream colored head that leaves little lacing. This beer looks...unique. Aroma is herbal and citrus hoppy forward with a light tropical fruit (mango) sweetness. Little hop or earthy presence in the nose; overall very fresh, ripe and sweet. Flavor is very similar in profile to all of the other Spring House IPAs, particularly in the dry and earthy finish. Body is juicy and citric hoppy with a light mango/tropic sweetness that reveals itself as the beer warms and feels like an afterthought floating on top of the strong grapefruit hop flavor. Mouthfeel is medium thick, fairly bittering and dry in the finish. Overall, refreshing and enjoyable fresh, but this reminds me of Seven Gates and Beyond the Gates a little too much for me to enjoy this as a standalone, unique IPA.

3.79/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A - Just shy of a finger's worth of plush light khaki colored audibly fizzy head... Limited retention gives way to a mostly full veil of lace and a slight collar... The color is a deep dark resiny amber... A limited number of slightly sluggish carbonation bubbles rise throughout...

S - The nose is much more delicate than I had anticipated... First up are a moderately potent citrusy hop goodness... Next comes the sweet mango just as if I had cut into one... There is a solid malt base that lingers beneath the surface... First is the slightly sweet caramel followed by rich doughy notes...

T - The mango sweetness never materializes on the palate... Instead your hit with a fairly potent array of hoppiness... First is strong pungent pine notes... Next are some floral notes... There is a mild citrus presence that is buried way beneath the surface... The malty balance alluded to on the nose is also MIA... There is also a slight medicinal presence on the finish... Not bad by any means, just not what I was expected...

M - On the fuller side of medium bodied... A slight bit of crisp bubbly carbonation... Perhaps a bit thin... Dry and slightly astringent throughout...

D - Not a great American IPA... Not a bad American IPA... This one is situated somewhere squarely in the middle... My largest complaint is that other than the aroma, the mango alluded to in the name of the brew is mostly missing in action... The end result is an average to slightly above average American IPA and the craft beer world is loaded with those...

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast