El Jefe's Hefeweizen - South Street Brewery

South Street Brewery visit their website
Virginia, United States

Hefeweizen |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: Todd on 06-10-2003)

redfox405, Sep 17, 2013

Jadjunk, Apr 27, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

Amyliz4, Jan 20, 2012
3.65/5  rDev -2.4%

On tap at the brewpub in July 2009.

Pours a cloudy yellow color with a slight white head and not too much lacing. Nose brings some fairly strong clove and spice notes. A moderate amount of banana. The taste is some slight wheat as well as clove, banana, and hints of bubblegum. Moderate body with good carbonation. Was a nice, drinkable brew after a long summer day.

Thorpe429, Oct 26, 2010

The beginning of a day of entering backlogs!

A: A murky blonde fog... Quite a surprisingly creamy white head.

S: Quite a strong scent of clove on the nose. Nice wheat aromas and a creamy kinda sweetness.

T: Wow... Truly a German style - a nice, full flavour of banana and clove with almost a soft kiss of honey towards the finish.

M + D: A medium body, a bit slick, with just the slightest touch of residue felt on the back of the tongue on finish. Quite a pleasant surprise... I have traditionally found myself a little underwhelmed by offerings here... This has changed that opinion.

Proteus93, Mar 22, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +11.8%

This is my first review, so I hope it won't be awful. Anyway...

I was definitely surprised by this beer, especially since they have it on tap so infrequently. Not that this means its bad, but its good enough to be around all the time, if you ask me. Very very cloudy and golden, with a thin white head (probably lacking due to the lemon they added for me), with some thin lacing. Smelled strongly of cloves and banana. taste was almost overpowering with banana and a bit of cloves, it made me feel like I was getting my daily allowance of potassium, but I couldn't stop drinking it. Slightly dry mouthfeel and bitter aftertaste. Very drinkable and refreshing, I'd drink this every day if it were bottled. Very different from many wheat beers I've had, but in a very good way.

spiffylubes, Jul 27, 2005
4.1/5  rDev +9.6%

Part of sampler tray at the brew pub. This was my favorite beer of the sampler. Server as a cloudy orange color with slight white head. Smell is of cloves and corriander. Taste is large with cloves with a nice dryness in the background. Mouthfeel is nice and dry, more than I usually find with this style. A truly enjoyable drink.

tgbljb, Jul 09, 2005
4.22/5  rDev +12.8%

This beer was a hazy yellow color and formed a bubbly white head that left some nice lace as it subsided. An aroma of hops, clove and corinader. A flavor of hops, clove and corindar. A very refreshing finish. This is one of the best renditions of a German style hefe that I have seen a American brewer create. It really surprised me.

Wildman, Jun 10, 2003