India Pale Ale - Selin's Grove Brewing Company

India Pale Ale
No picture uploaded.

Selin's Grove Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: rdrummer on 05-09-2004)

heddar33, Sep 11, 2012

whartontallboy, Nov 14, 2011

jordanmiller, Nov 15, 2011

HopHeadRyan, Aug 02, 2013
4.97/5  rDev +15%

A - Pours an inch of fluffy off-white head that has decent retention and leaves gobs of sticky lacing as it recedes. The beer is clear and has a dark golden-orange hue.

S - The aroma on this beer really knocks me off my feet. It's very pungent with a mixture of fruitiness, flowers and a light spiciness.

M - Light to medium in body with good carbonation. It's got a semi-creamy finish.

T - The beer begins with a citrus kick combined with a little bit of peach flavor. A blast of fruitiness hits next(can't pick out one particular fruit, just like the nose) followed by some pine and herbal bitterness. It's got a good malt backbone that keeps the beer balanced.

I had heard very good things about this beer and fortunately it lived up to the hype. This is one of the best IPAs I've tried. I'm kicking myself for not making the trip to Selin's Grove sooner. This one is well worth seeking out.

boralyl, Aug 06, 2011
4.93/5  rDev +14.1%

appearance: medium gold color with a relatively long lasting head (could have perhaps lingered longer). Good clarity.

aroma: when I pick up an IPA and get a whiff of the aroma and it smells like i'm in the midst of a flower garden it is one of my greatest beer experiences. this beer met that challenge. onlookers think I am strange but I may spend minutes just taking in such an aroma and commenting on it before even drinking any of the beer. High floral hop aroma, using a variety of hops.

taste: after reveling on the hop aroma I was not disappointed in finally tasting this beer. Key for me in an IPA is balance. This beer achieved that. There was a high citrusy (and fruity) hop flavor that was very smooth and clean with the malt perfectly balanced in the background. This hop flavor gradually disappeared so that there was not the harsh lingering aftertaste which I have experienced with far too many attempts by other brewers in an IPA. Medium-dry finish.

mouthfeel: medium-light bodied teetering on a razor-sharp edge of a possible slight astingency from all the hops. Carbonation right on. Medium amount of alcohol warming, not at all overdone.

drinkability: highly recommended for the refreshing quality, the up front floral hop aroma, and the continuing pleasurable balance and finish in the taste.

This is cleary one of the best IPA's i've had in the eastern U.S. and probably equals the two best IPA's that I have tried in the northwest U.S. Highly recommended. Wish I had an endless stream of this beer.

Beerquester, Aug 05, 2006
4.9/5  rDev +13.4%

On tap @ the brewpub 7/31

Hazy amber body with a finger of foamy head. Decent retention and lots of lacing. Amazing aroma on this IPA, all kinds of citrus and floral billow from the glass. Tastes almost as good as it smells, which says alot after you've taken a whiff of ale.

Nice burst of citrus in the mouth upfront, with more of an earthy finish. A pretty well balanced IPA though. Medium bodied, lighter on the carbonation gives it a slightly creamy texture.

This is one exceptional IPA! Although my growler didn't have quite the same appeal as my glasses at the pub, this is simply one of the best beers ive had to date, quite possibly the best IPA sampled.

prdstmnky, Aug 13, 2011
4.88/5  rDev +13%

I rarely find anything that I don't like at this local brewpub, but the IPA is an exceptional example of the style. It pours a rich, golden color with the huge, white head that would be expected of an IPA. The lacing was heavy and long lasting.

The aroma is one of the hops with the citrusy undertones that is expected. It has a slighly spicy aroma that is hard to place.

The taste is predominantly hoppiness with the bitterness that can be expected but with a balancing fruitiness. The lingering affect, hower, is one of hoppiness. I'm a hops nut so this beer was perfect for me. It is crisp and clean in the mouth with a very rich finish that is normally present in higher ABV beers. I could drink this for hours, and I brought home a growler of it that I will hitting in a day or two.

rdrummer, May 09, 2004
4.88/5  rDev +13%

Appearance: Beautiful deep cloudy orange body with a one finger white creamy head.

Smell: WOW lots of fresh grapefruit,orange peel, fresh floral armona also with some spicy malt

Taste: It is the best IPA/DIPA in my 2cents and I had some pretty good IPA's such as blind pig,pliny,abner,sculpin etc. The citrus blast hits you first of bitter grapefruit,sweet peaches and mango and than some piney hops and also some spicey hops,but than it evens out with some sweet malts.

Mouthfeel:very creamy and smooth

Overall:This beer is a classic IPA/DIPA and will stand up to any IPA/DIPA out there!

eagles22, May 26, 2011
4.83/5  rDev +11.8%

Tasted on draft at the AWESOME Selinsgrove Brewing Co. and in a take-home growler.

Appearance - Pours a nice amber-ish color with an off-white head. Excellent head life and lacing throughout the glass. An excellent looking brew.

Smell - Smells of a beautiful array of hops and citrus-like notes. A boquet, almost flowery smell to it that really got me excited to dive into this beer. One of the best smelling IPAs I have sampled.

Taste - Wow. I can't even begin to explain how good this is. A very nice collection of hoppy flavors mixed with a sweetness that is not over-bearing. Gives you a hop punch, but also lets you down easy with a sweeter, smooth finish. A testament to IPAs!! (Note: I think the brewer said it contained Amarillo, Crystal, Tettnanger, and another hop).

Mouthfeel - This one is bitter and sweet, not very offensive to the tongue. Just a smooth ride all the way through.

Drinkability - I had 3 half-pints and a Growler of this to go. The alcohol isn't terribly high and the flavor of this beer is so good, you'll have to go back to this well very often. Just an excellent beer.

Interesting side note: I drank what was left in my growler last night. Came to work today and was using the rest room (deuce)...the entire bathroom smelled like the hops in this IPA. It was totally awesome. Go and drink this beer!!

Edwin, Jul 14, 2004
4.8/5  rDev +11.1%

Take a good beer and then make it better....most of the time that means putting on the hand pull and for this beauty of an IPA that is exactly what happens.

A-Slightly hazy complete with small bits of hops bright orange copper. A small bright white head levitates on top and holds strong leaving spotty lace.

S-Sniff, sniff, sniff, all day long. The fresh, citrus, floral blast is a treat.

T-BAM! Hops and no question followed by a sweet malt blancing act. An incredible act of hop goodness and malt sweetness.

M-The cask serving makes this one rich and creamy. A luscious brew that makes me yearn for more.

D--All day long. A treat to have on cask. Grab it whenever the opportunity presents itself. An absolutley fantastic brew made even that much better being served on cask.

Deuane, Oct 22, 2008
4.8/5  rDev +11.1%

Growler shared by Chaney. Thanks Brandon!

A: Hazy orange with a healthy, half inch of head that possesses good retention and leaves some decent lacing on the tulip glass.

S: Whoa! I can already tell this is going to be awesome. Citrus and hop aromas as fresh and alluring as can be.

T: I am truly floored. This beer blew my expectations out of the water. Delicious flavors of apricot, oranges, tangerines, nectarines, grapefruit, floral notes, and fresh hop flavor. Just wow.

M: Medium bodied with a beautifully bitter, slightly tart finish.

D: While I was drinking this beer, it was literally hard to focus on anything else. I could drink a growler of this by myself, and I know I'd be catching the drips at the end. I really, really like this beer...a lot!

Huhzubendah, Dec 22, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +10.6%

On tap at the brewpub.

A-Pours a beautiful, moderately hazy orange amber. The perfect color, to me, for an IPA. Can't wait to dig in.

S-Wow! A burst of resinous, piney hops explodes from the glass. You can tell this was tapped today. So fresh, and so inviting. Oh, some malt backbone peeks through once you get past the hops.

T-Excellent balanced flavor, though pine and citrus hops still dominate a bit. Plenty of sweet malt to keep the flavor in check.

M-Medium bodied and rather dry.

D-Outstanding. Full of flavor, great balance. Why did I not get a growler for me?

HV

sholland119, Jun 15, 2009
4.75/5  rDev +10%

Whilst snagging a growler of their triple for AKSmokedPorter, I quickly noticed this gem on the beer engine and promptly ordered a pint.

Holy shit.

This is just amazing on cask. Color is a cloudy, soft-looking honey-copper in color. T-H-I-C-K off-white head sticks to my nose during the first (of many) shnoz dunks into the glass. Near-complete lacing of the glass.

Aromas are outstanding. Even with the muted character I tend to perceive when drinking a casked beer, the hop notes of this beer spill out of the glass, run down the sides, and slowly creep along the bar. Pine oil, orange juice, spice...it's in there.

For a casked beer, this one was only slightly muted in terms of the hops avalanche that run amuck on your palate. There's some chewy caramel sweetness making a feeble effort to balance. Finish is mouth-puckering. So very hoppy. And so very good. Ever so close to giving this a 5.

So soft on the palate, yet the flavor packs such a punch. 1...er...2...er...3 pints consumed before I knew it. Combined with a pretzel (giddyup! The wife-type unit LOVES the pretzels!) and some nice conversation with a local, I think I have found Nirvana.

OldFrothingSlosh, Oct 04, 2006

ASTASOLLILJA, Sep 18, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +10%

Served on tap at the brewpub

A- pours a dark orange with a one finger white head. Because of the low lighting, I can't get a great look at it...so, default grade

S- aroma is of very powerful citrus. Yummy

T- very juicy. Lots of tropical fruits...mostly mango. Wonderful

M- medium bodied

O- this is fantastic. The keg kicked maybe two hours after we got there, so I couldn't order a second pint or get a couple of growlers. Whenever you see this on tap at SG, you should get it.

bigfnjoe, Oct 16, 2011

DNICE555, Oct 19, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +10%

made the trip again, so far from my philly home to this hidden gem in where-am-I? PA- selinsgrove.
The Selinsgrove brewery is a hidden gem, maybe the best brewery you have never been towith some of the most well crafted beer that you have never have had the pleasure to drink. I pity you, I do because the beer here is sublime, pure pleasure and endliss bliss in a glass...
The flagship for me is the IPA, does it get any fresher or more local with the hops out the back door from where I sit at the bar. Very clear with a silky head, beautiful copper color, oh so enticing in the glass, I admire for a split second and then I smell, the bouquet oh the aroma, AMAZING! and the first sip, wonderful depth, such a balanced bitterness, as good in my palate's mind and in my beermemory as those pints of masala mamma, for those in the know with this wonderful beer, I tell you very, very similar.... great balance, exceptional moutfeel and bitterness. the ultimate drinking pleasure for moi, and I think maybe worth the 100+ mile trip to what seems the ends of the known world to me.
In all seriousness an exceptional beer from a hidden gem of a place that is worth seeking out as a destination beer establishment. Take my word- or Michael Jackson's whose authograph and reccomendation hangs on the wall. top ten places and top ten beer in the keystone state.

Utterly sublime.... cheers!

sublimesipping, Aug 04, 2008

yourefragile, Nov 01, 2013

NearTheGrove, Jan 02, 2013
4.68/5  rDev +8.3%

Extremely hazy and cloudy as well, though no sediment or floaties were visible. A huge two finger high head of white foam then rose up over the top of it and stayed for what seemed loke forever before relenting down to a thin pillow of white and more then adequate side glass lace.

The aroma had to be one of the bigggest pine hop bombs I have ever tried. Just loads of rich thick resin like smell coming off of this. A touch of malty sugar tries to break through, but this is a hop bomb. Slight smell of alcohol at first as well. The flavor was wonderful, utterly perfect for the style. Thick sticky medium bodied ale that literally was so thick with hop resin it coated your teeth. This was a monster. Some light sweet sugar cashing in the middle, but overall really just a full on flavor explosion of resin. Great super bitter dry finish that really just seeled the deal for me. Long drawn out hop flavor, this was just that good for me. The alcohol was not too hight, though it was noticeable and I was able to finish the growler in a night, thought it was a bit pushing it towards the end.

Overall I would say this is one of the single best IPAs I have ever had. I t was just a hop monster from start to finish with a rich feel and flavor that I really could not tire of. I would have to recommend this one to anyone who loves IPA's.

mikesgroove, May 14, 2008