India Pale Ale - Selin's Grove Brewing Company

Selin's Grove Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: rdrummer on 05-09-2004

4.97/5  rDev +15%

A - Pours an inch of fluffy off-white head that has decent retention and leaves gobs of sticky lacing as it recedes. The beer is clear and has a dark golden-orange hue.

S - The aroma on this beer really knocks me off my feet. It's very pungent with a mixture of fruitiness, flowers and a light spiciness.

M - Light to medium in body with good carbonation. It's got a semi-creamy finish.

T - The beer begins with a citrus kick combined with a little bit of peach flavor. A blast of fruitiness hits next(can't pick out one particular fruit, just like the nose) followed by some pine and herbal bitterness. It's got a good malt backbone that keeps the beer balanced.

I had heard very good things about this beer and fortunately it lived up to the hype. This is one of the best IPAs I've tried. I'm kicking myself for not making the trip to Selin's Grove sooner. This one is well worth seeking out.

4.92/5  rDev +13.9%

appearance: medium gold color with a relatively long lasting head (could have perhaps lingered longer). Good clarity.

aroma: when I pick up an IPA and get a whiff of the aroma and it smells like i'm in the midst of a flower garden it is one of my greatest beer experiences. this beer met that challenge. onlookers think I am strange but I may spend minutes just taking in such an aroma and commenting on it before even drinking any of the beer. High floral hop aroma, using a variety of hops.

taste: after reveling on the hop aroma I was not disappointed in finally tasting this beer. Key for me in an IPA is balance. This beer achieved that. There was a high citrusy (and fruity) hop flavor that was very smooth and clean with the malt perfectly balanced in the background. This hop flavor gradually disappeared so that there was not the harsh lingering aftertaste which I have experienced with far too many attempts by other brewers in an IPA. Medium-dry finish.

mouthfeel: medium-light bodied teetering on a razor-sharp edge of a possible slight astingency from all the hops. Carbonation right on. Medium amount of alcohol warming, not at all overdone.

drinkability: highly recommended for the refreshing quality, the up front floral hop aroma, and the continuing pleasurable balance and finish in the taste.

This is cleary one of the best IPA's i've had in the eastern U.S. and probably equals the two best IPA's that I have tried in the northwest U.S. Highly recommended. Wish I had an endless stream of this beer.

4.89/5  rDev +13.2%

On tap @ the brewpub 7/31

Hazy amber body with a finger of foamy head. Decent retention and lots of lacing. Amazing aroma on this IPA, all kinds of citrus and floral billow from the glass. Tastes almost as good as it smells, which says alot after you've taken a whiff of ale.

Nice burst of citrus in the mouth upfront, with more of an earthy finish. A pretty well balanced IPA though. Medium bodied, lighter on the carbonation gives it a slightly creamy texture.

This is one exceptional IPA! Although my growler didn't have quite the same appeal as my glasses at the pub, this is simply one of the best beers ive had to date, quite possibly the best IPA sampled.

4.87/5  rDev +12.7%

Appearance: Beautiful deep cloudy orange body with a one finger white creamy head.

Smell: WOW lots of fresh grapefruit,orange peel, fresh floral armona also with some spicy malt

Taste: It is the best IPA/DIPA in my 2cents and I had some pretty good IPA's such as blind pig,pliny,abner,sculpin etc. The citrus blast hits you first of bitter grapefruit,sweet peaches and mango and than some piney hops and also some spicey hops,but than it evens out with some sweet malts.

Mouthfeel:very creamy and smooth

Overall:This beer is a classic IPA/DIPA and will stand up to any IPA/DIPA out there!

4.85/5  rDev +12.3%

I rarely find anything that I don't like at this local brewpub, but the IPA is an exceptional example of the style. It pours a rich, golden color with the huge, white head that would be expected of an IPA. The lacing was heavy and long lasting.

The aroma is one of the hops with the citrusy undertones that is expected. It has a slighly spicy aroma that is hard to place.

The taste is predominantly hoppiness with the bitterness that can be expected but with a balancing fruitiness. The lingering affect, hower, is one of hoppiness. I'm a hops nut so this beer was perfect for me. It is crisp and clean in the mouth with a very rich finish that is normally present in higher ABV beers. I could drink this for hours, and I brought home a growler of it that I will hitting in a day or two.

4.82/5  rDev +11.6%

Tasted on draft at the AWESOME Selinsgrove Brewing Co. and in a take-home growler.

Appearance - Pours a nice amber-ish color with an off-white head. Excellent head life and lacing throughout the glass. An excellent looking brew.

Smell - Smells of a beautiful array of hops and citrus-like notes. A boquet, almost flowery smell to it that really got me excited to dive into this beer. One of the best smelling IPAs I have sampled.

Taste - Wow. I can't even begin to explain how good this is. A very nice collection of hoppy flavors mixed with a sweetness that is not over-bearing. Gives you a hop punch, but also lets you down easy with a sweeter, smooth finish. A testament to IPAs!! (Note: I think the brewer said it contained Amarillo, Crystal, Tettnanger, and another hop).

Mouthfeel - This one is bitter and sweet, not very offensive to the tongue. Just a smooth ride all the way through.

Drinkability - I had 3 half-pints and a Growler of this to go. The alcohol isn't terribly high and the flavor of this beer is so good, you'll have to go back to this well very often. Just an excellent beer.

Interesting side note: I drank what was left in my growler last night. Came to work today and was using the rest room (deuce)...the entire bathroom smelled like the hops in this IPA. It was totally awesome. Go and drink this beer!!

4.79/5  rDev +10.9%

Growler shared by Chaney. Thanks Brandon!

A: Hazy orange with a healthy, half inch of head that possesses good retention and leaves some decent lacing on the tulip glass.

S: Whoa! I can already tell this is going to be awesome. Citrus and hop aromas as fresh and alluring as can be.

T: I am truly floored. This beer blew my expectations out of the water. Delicious flavors of apricot, oranges, tangerines, nectarines, grapefruit, floral notes, and fresh hop flavor. Just wow.

M: Medium bodied with a beautifully bitter, slightly tart finish.

D: While I was drinking this beer, it was literally hard to focus on anything else. I could drink a growler of this by myself, and I know I'd be catching the drips at the end. I really, really like this beer...a lot!

4.77/5  rDev +10.4%

Whilst snagging a growler of their triple for AKSmokedPorter, I quickly noticed this gem on the beer engine and promptly ordered a pint.

Holy shit.

This is just amazing on cask. Color is a cloudy, soft-looking honey-copper in color. T-H-I-C-K off-white head sticks to my nose during the first (of many) shnoz dunks into the glass. Near-complete lacing of the glass.

Aromas are outstanding. Even with the muted character I tend to perceive when drinking a casked beer, the hop notes of this beer spill out of the glass, run down the sides, and slowly creep along the bar. Pine oil, orange juice, spice...it's in there.

For a casked beer, this one was only slightly muted in terms of the hops avalanche that run amuck on your palate. There's some chewy caramel sweetness making a feeble effort to balance. Finish is mouth-puckering. So very hoppy. And so very good. Ever so close to giving this a 5.

So soft on the palate, yet the flavor packs such a punch. 1...er...2...er...3 pints consumed before I knew it. Combined with a pretzel (giddyup! The wife-type unit LOVES the pretzels!) and some nice conversation with a local, I think I have found Nirvana.

4.77/5  rDev +10.4%

Take a good beer and then make it better....most of the time that means putting on the hand pull and for this beauty of an IPA that is exactly what happens.

A-Slightly hazy complete with small bits of hops bright orange copper. A small bright white head levitates on top and holds strong leaving spotty lace.

S-Sniff, sniff, sniff, all day long. The fresh, citrus, floral blast is a treat.

T-BAM! Hops and no question followed by a sweet malt blancing act. An incredible act of hop goodness and malt sweetness.

M-The cask serving makes this one rich and creamy. A luscious brew that makes me yearn for more.

D--All day long. A treat to have on cask. Grab it whenever the opportunity presents itself. An absolutley fantastic brew made even that much better being served on cask.

4.77/5  rDev +10.4%

made the trip again, so far from my philly home to this hidden gem in where-am-I? PA- selinsgrove.
The Selinsgrove brewery is a hidden gem, maybe the best brewery you have never been towith some of the most well crafted beer that you have never have had the pleasure to drink. I pity you, I do because the beer here is sublime, pure pleasure and endliss bliss in a glass...
The flagship for me is the IPA, does it get any fresher or more local with the hops out the back door from where I sit at the bar. Very clear with a silky head, beautiful copper color, oh so enticing in the glass, I admire for a split second and then I smell, the bouquet oh the aroma, AMAZING! and the first sip, wonderful depth, such a balanced bitterness, as good in my palate's mind and in my beermemory as those pints of masala mamma, for those in the know with this wonderful beer, I tell you very, very similar.... great balance, exceptional moutfeel and bitterness. the ultimate drinking pleasure for moi, and I think maybe worth the 100+ mile trip to what seems the ends of the known world to me.
In all seriousness an exceptional beer from a hidden gem of a place that is worth seeking out as a destination beer establishment. Take my word- or Michael Jackson's whose authograph and reccomendation hangs on the wall. top ten places and top ten beer in the keystone state.

Utterly sublime.... cheers!

4.75/5  rDev +10%

On tap at the brewpub.

A-Pours a beautiful, moderately hazy orange amber. The perfect color, to me, for an IPA. Can't wait to dig in.

S-Wow! A burst of resinous, piney hops explodes from the glass. You can tell this was tapped today. So fresh, and so inviting. Oh, some malt backbone peeks through once you get past the hops.

T-Excellent balanced flavor, though pine and citrus hops still dominate a bit. Plenty of sweet malt to keep the flavor in check.

M-Medium bodied and rather dry.

D-Outstanding. Full of flavor, great balance. Why did I not get a growler for me?

4.72/5  rDev +9.3%

Served on tap at the brewpub

A- pours a dark orange with a one finger white head. Because of the low lighting, I can't get a great look at it...so, default grade

S- aroma is of very powerful citrus. Yummy

T- very juicy. Lots of tropical fruits...mostly mango. Wonderful

M- medium bodied

O- this is fantastic. The keg kicked maybe two hours after we got there, so I couldn't order a second pint or get a couple of growlers. Whenever you see this on tap at SG, you should get it.

4.69/5  rDev +8.6%

Thanks go out to deuane for sending this in growling at the moon.

A: Nice slightly hazy copper color. Poured with a half finger of white head. For a growler that is not bad. Excellent lacing.

S: Wonderful nose. Tons of citrus. Oranges. A very nice floral hop note as well. Almost like orange blossoms. One of if not the best single I PA noses I have experienced.

T: Right off the bat a huge hop bitterness tempered by this awesome blast of oranges and citrus. There is a nice moment of malt in the middle of the beating my tongue is taking from the hops. The mouthfeel is part of the taste as it is just so crisp and nice.

M: Sticky. Just a great mouthfeel. It feels like a 10% DIPA. I love it when things like this happen.

D: All day long. While certainly too strong to session I know this growler is in borrowed time. Between the two of us it is only a matter of time. This is right up there with Masala Mama for me in terms of a DIPA being condensed into a single IPA. I would definitely seek this beer out again.

4.68/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I stopped in for dinner and got this beer with my chili. It looked like any other glass of beer I've had placed in front of me by the waitresses of these eating establishments. I bypassed the smell and took a nice gulp of this beer. It was delicious. It was smooth, malty, and silky. I was instantly enamoured with this beer and wanted more of its delicious taste. At that moment I finally realized how Edmund felt when taking Turkish delight from the white witch. I got a growler to go and will be going back to fill it up. The taste comes out best when served a little warmer than most, about 50 degrees. This beer is my number 1 for taste.

4.68/5  rDev +8.3%

Wow, this is just an exceptional IPA that I would love to try on cask sometime. The appearance is perfect. Hazy orange amber with a nice cap of thick white foam. The aromas are of spicy hops. They seem to be Cascades and Centennials, but i've been wrong before when guessing hops. The taste is all about spicy fresh hops. There are some good citrus flavors, and a bit of a piney taste in the mix as well. The malts are their as well. Bready and lovely in the background. The finish is dry and hop=ubrup inducing with all the resiny goodness that this brew pumps out at you. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and drinkability is exceptional. The carbonation levels of this one are just perfect, making it the ultimate session IPA. I want more.

4.65/5  rDev +7.6%

Extremely hazy and cloudy as well, though no sediment or floaties were visible. A huge two finger high head of white foam then rose up over the top of it and stayed for what seemed loke forever before relenting down to a thin pillow of white and more then adequate side glass lace.

The aroma had to be one of the bigggest pine hop bombs I have ever tried. Just loads of rich thick resin like smell coming off of this. A touch of malty sugar tries to break through, but this is a hop bomb. Slight smell of alcohol at first as well. The flavor was wonderful, utterly perfect for the style. Thick sticky medium bodied ale that literally was so thick with hop resin it coated your teeth. This was a monster. Some light sweet sugar cashing in the middle, but overall really just a full on flavor explosion of resin. Great super bitter dry finish that really just seeled the deal for me. Long drawn out hop flavor, this was just that good for me. The alcohol was not too hight, though it was noticeable and I was able to finish the growler in a night, thought it was a bit pushing it towards the end.

Overall I would say this is one of the single best IPAs I have ever had. I t was just a hop monster from start to finish with a rich feel and flavor that I really could not tire of. I would have to recommend this one to anyone who loves IPA's.

4.59/5  rDev +6.2%

On nitro-tap at SGB on 11/24/10. This was apparently put on nitro by mistake, so only a few select people in the brewpub were able to sample this treat before Steve the brewer quickly pulled this off and put it back on a standard tap line. Lucky me!

A - Hazy orange liquid with a thick dollop of creamy froth on top that stood two fingers high and reduced to a thin patch but deposited a foamy web of lacing all around the glass.

S - Amazing hop nose with equal parts citrus, pine and resin. Mmmmm... just a really pungent, fresh hop nose with a hint of sweet malt and alcohol to round out the aroma. Usually I find that a nitro-dispensed IPA has a somewhat muted hop aroma, but not this guy!

T - The potent blend of citrusy and piney hops produces a resinous hop bite in the initial flavor, but is balanced effectively by a sweet malt backbone consisting of caramel and bready notes.

M - Creamy and smooth mouthfeel with a moderate hop bite that persists but doesn't linger for too long on the palate. Finish is mildly sweet with a wash of bitterness on the tastebuds.

D - This was one of those times when I was in the right place at the right time. This was so good that it needs to go back on nitro at some point. Delicious!

4.57/5  rDev +5.8%

I've had this beer many times but I think that this may have been the first time that I've had it on cask. Or maybe not. I can't remember! Anyway, this is the first time that I've reviewed it as such.

Served on cask via hand pump at the brewpub on 10/19/08.

Pours a clear copper (with some bits of hoppy sediment floating along the bottom) and a thin layer of brite-white foamy head. The retention, while foamy, hangs tough, leaving a nice cascade of spotty lacing behind. The aroma is a mellow yet pungent mix of pine and floral hops with notes of spice and citric fruits with some underlying accents of caramel malts. Pretty freaking nice!

Much like the aroma, the taste is deceptively mellow from the cask conditioning remaining smooth and chill but still provides a tingling medley of resinous hops, all kinds of tangy citric fruits, and backing caramel malts. The bitter hangover on the palette is dry, long, lingering and well...pretty darn nice. The mouthfeel is exceedingly smooth and easy going on cask with a carbonation that spreads out and then effortlessly slides down the throat.

How do you take an all around awesome beer and make it better? Serve it cask conditioned of course! It can be rare to find this at the brewpub (heck finding the regular draft IPA has been hit or miss lately!) so jump on it if you see it. You won't be disappointed!

4.57/5  rDev +5.8%

On tap at the brewpub today after a rather decadent tasting.

A: Crystal clear witha thin white head with good retention and nice lacing.

S: Sharp pine hops, just so dank and herbal-y. No real malt apart from a touch of caramel presence, this one is all about the hops. Plenty of aroma and flavoring, with some good bitterness.

TL Opens up with a massive hop flavor, dank and resiny with an excellent, pleasing bitterness. Very mild malt character , this beer is all hops - bitter, aroma and flavor. Finishes with a beautiful bitterness, not too much, not too little.

M: Light with a lot of resiny hops and an excellent dry and bittering finish. The bitterness is not abrasive, as evidenced by the 3 pints I drank.

D: Exceptionally drinkable. Two hours after my half pint at the brewpub, I split a growler with a friend and still wanted more.

4.55/5  rDev +5.3%

On tap at the brewery

Appearance: Cloudy orange, decent head.

Nose: Big tropical fruits on the nose with a tiny bit of flaky croissant malt in the background. Kinda unassuming from the aroma.

Taste: The first sip blew me away. Tons of mango, pineapple, grapefruit up front that fades into a subtle toasty malt. Its complex with layers and layers of different hop flavors. Stayed intensely flavorful and intriguing until the last drop.

Mouthfeel: spot-on, no complaints.

Overall: I'd go ahead and call this one of my top IPAs period. It's criminally under-rated thanks to the size and location of the brewery but it makes the 2.5 hour drive from Philly worthwhile.

4.53/5  rDev +4.9%

A - Two fingers worth of off-white colored head this is so rich and creamy it appears to have been whipped... Decent retention gives way to a full lacing... A lightly bronzed golden color... Significant hazing... Minimal carbonation... Loads of lacing coats and encircles the entire glass after each and every sip...

S - Sweet citrus at the forefront... Pineapple... Tropical fruits... Some subtle floral notes... Deep down with in is a strong malt graham cracker like base...

T - The citrus subsides a bit on the palette though it's still dominate... It mixes with some piney hop resins... There even seems to be a bit of spice mixed in... A solid malty bread base lies beneath once you get past the hops...

M - On the lighter side of medium bodied... Ultra smooth... Creamy and lush from start to finish... Minimal carbonation... Even and consistent...

D - Outstanding in all facets... Wham bam thank you mam, may I have another... One of the most well rounded American IPAs that I have ever encountered... So good, I brought a growler home and got through it in one evening and still wanted some more... Loaded with hops, but never bitter... Exceptional...

brewpub draft

a: pint glass serving, the ipa is a deep amber in color with a dark tan head, showing good retention and some lace

s: lively hop nose with a slew of earthy pine and citrus rind hops and a touch of tropical on the underside, fresh orange and tangerine, resin, pale malts with some caramel sweetness form a backbone, great start

m: a low to moderate carbonation and medium body combine into a smooth, creamy mouthfeel

t: a punch of earthy pine hops upfront with big notes of fresh citrus, some tropical notes underneath, sappy tree boughs and fresh orange rind, toasted pale and some caramel malts, full flavored and balanced, a great bitterness begins midway and builds to the finish

o: just an all around great ipa, assertive but balanced and solidly east-coast, awesomely drinkable

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Thanks Urbancaver and CooperEllis! This was better than I expected.

A. Pours a very pretty blood orange with foamy white head.

S. Mango, grapefruit, other tropical fruits, and lots of beautiful floral notes.

T. Citrus, pine resin, tropical fruit, and a nice fruity sweet malt backbone. A bit of earthiness. Interesting and complex. A great IPA.

M. Thick and luscious.

D. Supremely drinkable. A huge fan of this one.

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Pours a very pretty reddish orange. A bit of white head. One of the prettiest beers I've had in a while. Smells nicely hoppy with a touch of malty sweetness. Lots of citrus and pine and grapefruit on the nose and tongue. Very thick and complex. Something earthy as well. Subtle but very nice. Overall a really complex, thick, viscous ipa that is truly top notch

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Growler shared by Thorpe, thanks, long time want of mine.

Beer poured into a Bruery tulip. Beer is amber to red and mostly clear with a decent head and low carbonation. Spotty lacing.

Beer smells sweet but not malty, strong but not alcoholic, and very very hoppy, nice grapefruit and strong aromas, I like this beer already.

Beer is medium to light in body and creamy in the mouth. Minimal sweetness up front with some hoppiness on the back. The midpalate is a little fruity with the grapefruit and other mild citrus flavors, not as earthy as some of these IPAs but the hops are nice and its easy drinking. yeah, I would have this again.

India Pale Ale from Selin's Grove Brewing Company