India Pale Ale - Selin's Grove Brewing Company

India Pale Ale
No picture uploaded.

Selin's Grove Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: rdrummer on 05-09-2004)
4.3/5  rDev -0.2%

Growler obtained via Growling at the Moon from ClockworkOrange. Thanks for the opportunity.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1/8" beige head over the cloudy orangey amber brew. Head quickly disperses to an uneven layer of bubbles, with extremely sticky lasting lace. Aroma is dominantly piney hops, with some citrus notes.

Taste starts sweet, a quick shot of lemon in the middle, then a long intense ride of piney hops to the bitter end. Mouthfeel is reasonably smooth, and drinkability is very easy. Great stuff.

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

a: This was a slightly cloudy amber orange color. It was served to me with a short frothy white head.

s: Beautiful combination of orange zest and pine with a hint of something floral. Minimal malt sweetness.

t: Mirrors the smell, very fresh tasting. I love that piny orange combination.

m: Full bodied with creamy carbonation.

d: I wish I could get an IPA like this on a regular basis in Lancaster county.

3.75/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Reviewed 4/25/08. Poured from Growler (received in GatM from JKRAMER17801) to Selin's Grove glass.

A: Amber/orange pour with apparent carbonation giving way to 2 finger off white head.
S: Piney hops, malted nose, with hints of mild orange.
T: Piney hops continue here. An earthy quality, manifested as hay/dust, is noted.
M: Dry overtone, but creamy. Slightly oily from hops.
D: Very smooth and enjoyable. Nice hoppiness without demanding your attention.

4.33/5  rDev +0.5%

Thanks go out to my secret Santa Deuane my growler poured into my Selin's Grove pint glass produced very little head maybe a wisp of lace. This was on top of a hazy amber colored brew.

The aromas are incredible some of the best I have experienced in an IPA and the first time I can truly say I grabbed an orange note in a brew. Nice floral hops to this brew as well

Flavors are great citrus, orange and grapefruit. There is enough sweetness from the caramel malts to balance it off. Medium mouthfeel but the carbonation was a little lacking I think I chock that up to the growler

This is a very drinkable IPA more on the sweet side of the balance but close to being perfect. A true recommend in my book. Thanks again Santa

Disclaimer some of my score I know is because of the growler would love to try it fresh

4.43/5  rDev +2.8%

Growler acquired in trade from kramer17801 thanks!.

Poured a deeper and hazy golden amber color with a smaller sized off white head. Aromas of pine, grapefruit, and light caramel. Oddly enough, the aroma reminded me of a tuna sushi hand roll (not sure why that came to mind, hmmm, I'll have to go get some sushi tomorrow - could be, I'm just hungry and love sushi). Tastes of pine, citrus (oranges), caramel, and had a grapefruit bitter finish.

Notes from 2/9/07

4.68/5  rDev +8.6%

Thanks go out to deuane for sending this in growling at the moon.

A: Nice slightly hazy copper color. Poured with a half finger of white head. For a growler that is not bad. Excellent lacing.

S: Wonderful nose. Tons of citrus. Oranges. A very nice floral hop note as well. Almost like orange blossoms. One of if not the best single I PA noses I have experienced.

T: Right off the bat a huge hop bitterness tempered by this awesome blast of oranges and citrus. There is a nice moment of malt in the middle of the beating my tongue is taking from the hops. The mouthfeel is part of the taste as it is just so crisp and nice.

M: Sticky. Just a great mouthfeel. It feels like a 10% DIPA. I love it when things like this happen.

D: All day long. While certainly too strong to session I know this growler is in borrowed time. Between the two of us it is only a matter of time. This is right up there with Masala Mama for me in terms of a DIPA being condensed into a single IPA. I would definitely seek this beer out again.

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured a clear caramel amber color with 2 fingers of creamy white head. Great retention with good sticky lacing wisps. Smells of citrus fruits, pine, caramel, and dried grass. Tastes of grapefruit and oranges up front then some honey glazed biscuit, and caramel malt before a nice dry grassy hop and pine needle finish. Medium in body, very creamy and smooth with a pleasant bitterness. Selin's Grove IPA is always a treat, and finding it on cask is definitely worth a few rounds while it lasts.

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

Take a good beer and then make it better....most of the time that means putting on the hand pull and for this beauty of an IPA that is exactly what happens.

A-Slightly hazy complete with small bits of hops bright orange copper. A small bright white head levitates on top and holds strong leaving spotty lace.

S-Sniff, sniff, sniff, all day long. The fresh, citrus, floral blast is a treat.

T-BAM! Hops and no question followed by a sweet malt blancing act. An incredible act of hop goodness and malt sweetness.

M-The cask serving makes this one rich and creamy. A luscious brew that makes me yearn for more.

D--All day long. A treat to have on cask. Grab it whenever the opportunity presents itself. An absolutley fantastic brew made even that much better being served on cask.

4.58/5  rDev +6.3%

I've had this beer many times but I think that this may have been the first time that I've had it on cask. Or maybe not. I can't remember! Anyway, this is the first time that I've reviewed it as such.

Served on cask via hand pump at the brewpub on 10/19/08.

Pours a clear copper (with some bits of hoppy sediment floating along the bottom) and a thin layer of brite-white foamy head. The retention, while foamy, hangs tough, leaving a nice cascade of spotty lacing behind. The aroma is a mellow yet pungent mix of pine and floral hops with notes of spice and citric fruits with some underlying accents of caramel malts. Pretty freaking nice!

Much like the aroma, the taste is deceptively mellow from the cask conditioning remaining smooth and chill but still provides a tingling medley of resinous hops, all kinds of tangy citric fruits, and backing caramel malts. The bitter hangover on the palette is dry, long, lingering and well...pretty darn nice. The mouthfeel is exceedingly smooth and easy going on cask with a carbonation that spreads out and then effortlessly slides down the throat.

How do you take an all around awesome beer and make it better? Serve it cask conditioned of course! It can be rare to find this at the brewpub (heck finding the regular draft IPA has been hit or miss lately!) so jump on it if you see it. You won't be disappointed!

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

Served on-tap at the brewpub.

A: The ale is a coppery brown color, darker than not with an unfiltered haziness that obscures the light. A finger of head nicely laces for the first 1/4th of the glass.

S: The nose drips with hops, a lupulin delight. Citrus dominates with a wide spectrum of fruity hops.

T: The ale is wonderfully bitter, just like Olde Frosty and Old Snafu. The hoppiness builds off of the caramel malts (therefore no dark malt flavors) with orange peel, grapefruit and pineapple. The bite of the hops never waivers or backs off, remaining robust throughout.

M: A deliciously hoppy ale that keeps the tastebuds at attention. A great beer.

D: How does a small brewpub in Selinsgrove, PA make the best IPAs that I've ever had? I could belly up to the bar all day with this one.

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

made the trip again, so far from my philly home to this hidden gem in where-am-I? PA- selinsgrove.
The Selinsgrove brewery is a hidden gem, maybe the best brewery you have never been towith some of the most well crafted beer that you have never have had the pleasure to drink. I pity you, I do because the beer here is sublime, pure pleasure and endliss bliss in a glass...
The flagship for me is the IPA, does it get any fresher or more local with the hops out the back door from where I sit at the bar. Very clear with a silky head, beautiful copper color, oh so enticing in the glass, I admire for a split second and then I smell, the bouquet oh the aroma, AMAZING! and the first sip, wonderful depth, such a balanced bitterness, as good in my palate's mind and in my beermemory as those pints of masala mamma, for those in the know with this wonderful beer, I tell you very, very similar.... great balance, exceptional moutfeel and bitterness. the ultimate drinking pleasure for moi, and I think maybe worth the 100+ mile trip to what seems the ends of the known world to me.
In all seriousness an exceptional beer from a hidden gem of a place that is worth seeking out as a destination beer establishment. Take my word- or Michael Jackson's whose authograph and reccomendation hangs on the wall. top ten places and top ten beer in the keystone state.

Utterly sublime.... cheers!

4.68/5  rDev +8.6%

Extremely hazy and cloudy as well, though no sediment or floaties were visible. A huge two finger high head of white foam then rose up over the top of it and stayed for what seemed loke forever before relenting down to a thin pillow of white and more then adequate side glass lace.

The aroma had to be one of the bigggest pine hop bombs I have ever tried. Just loads of rich thick resin like smell coming off of this. A touch of malty sugar tries to break through, but this is a hop bomb. Slight smell of alcohol at first as well. The flavor was wonderful, utterly perfect for the style. Thick sticky medium bodied ale that literally was so thick with hop resin it coated your teeth. This was a monster. Some light sweet sugar cashing in the middle, but overall really just a full on flavor explosion of resin. Great super bitter dry finish that really just seeled the deal for me. Long drawn out hop flavor, this was just that good for me. The alcohol was not too hight, though it was noticeable and I was able to finish the growler in a night, thought it was a bit pushing it towards the end.

Overall I would say this is one of the single best IPAs I have ever had. I t was just a hop monster from start to finish with a rich feel and flavor that I really could not tire of. I would have to recommend this one to anyone who loves IPA's.

4.08/5  rDev -5.3%

Was able to partake in Nated0gg's growler from the growling at the moon, thanks for the opportunity.

A- Darkish golden amber with a 1 finger head with modest lacing.

S- Sweet pine resin, candied orange peels, some sweet malt.

T- Mild piney grapefruit with mingled sweetness that lingers.

M- Moderate body almost with a creaminess to it.

D- Slightly sweet for an IPA, but very, very enjoyable.

4.38/5  rDev +1.6%

It's hard to rate this one low on appearance because I've been drinking it for so long and love it SO MUCH that every time I see it in a glass, it looks like heaven! The color is a medium amber with an orange tint. The brilliant hops give of a lovely floral aroma of pine and grapefruit, and a slight grassy or earthiness. The flavor is absolutely enjoyable, and the malt-to-hop balance makes this a flawless example all session IPAs should live up to. It is slightly astringent, with soft carbonation. I can't get enough of this, and the only way to enjoy it more is on cask!

4.45/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Sampled on tap at the brewpub with my lunch. Arrived a rather cloudy golden light amber color with about two fingers of head that left a nice, sticky lace on the inside of the glass. Smells initially of fresh, fruity, hops followed by a nice dose of sweet malt to balance it out. Tastes of mild caramel malts, sticky, but clean, followed by fruity, citrusy hops. Medium in body but slightly over carbonated (as evidenced by me and confirmed by the bartender - she was having a hard time filling growlers of it). Nicely done.

update - just had a couple of fresh glasses at the brewpub. Super fresh, hoppy aroma and flavor. Excellent drinkability.

4.1/5  rDev -4.9%

On tap at the brewpub. Orange-grapefruit colour with lace sheets. Wonderful aroma of orange and grapefruit fresh juice. Well malted, understated carbonation. Taste is orange and grapefruit. A long finish. Soft mouthfeel, typically easy to drink Selin Grove.

4.22/5  rDev -2.1%

Sampled on-tap at Selin's Grove Brewing Company.

A - Pours a semi-clear amber-copper with medium carbonation and a foamy white head.

S - Abundantly hoppy with some citrus and sweet pine notes in the background. Smells very inviting.

T - All the dominant flavors perfectly balance each other - bitterness is met with sweet malt and piney hops by citrus. The end result is a very hoppy, clean beer.

M - Medium body with a bitter finish that leaves you wanting more.

D - BA Deuane put this very well before I took my first sip - "there's nothing spectacular about this IPA...everything works so well together that it makes the perfect balance." This held very true - I couldn't ask for more from an IPA. The alcohol can definitely creep up on you, as it is so drinkable...but other than that, I very much enjoyed this beer.

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

Whilst snagging a growler of their triple for AKSmokedPorter, I quickly noticed this gem on the beer engine and promptly ordered a pint.

Holy shit.

This is just amazing on cask. Color is a cloudy, soft-looking honey-copper in color. T-H-I-C-K off-white head sticks to my nose during the first (of many) shnoz dunks into the glass. Near-complete lacing of the glass.

Aromas are outstanding. Even with the muted character I tend to perceive when drinking a casked beer, the hop notes of this beer spill out of the glass, run down the sides, and slowly creep along the bar. Pine oil, orange juice, spice...it's in there.

For a casked beer, this one was only slightly muted in terms of the hops avalanche that run amuck on your palate. There's some chewy caramel sweetness making a feeble effort to balance. Finish is mouth-puckering. So very hoppy. And so very good. Ever so close to giving this a 5.

So soft on the palate, yet the flavor packs such a punch. 1...er...2...er...3 pints consumed before I knew it. Combined with a pretzel (giddyup! The wife-type unit LOVES the pretzels!) and some nice conversation with a local, I think I have found Nirvana.

4.93/5  rDev +14.4%

appearance: medium gold color with a relatively long lasting head (could have perhaps lingered longer). Good clarity.

aroma: when I pick up an IPA and get a whiff of the aroma and it smells like i'm in the midst of a flower garden it is one of my greatest beer experiences. this beer met that challenge. onlookers think I am strange but I may spend minutes just taking in such an aroma and commenting on it before even drinking any of the beer. High floral hop aroma, using a variety of hops.

taste: after reveling on the hop aroma I was not disappointed in finally tasting this beer. Key for me in an IPA is balance. This beer achieved that. There was a high citrusy (and fruity) hop flavor that was very smooth and clean with the malt perfectly balanced in the background. This hop flavor gradually disappeared so that there was not the harsh lingering aftertaste which I have experienced with far too many attempts by other brewers in an IPA. Medium-dry finish.

mouthfeel: medium-light bodied teetering on a razor-sharp edge of a possible slight astingency from all the hops. Carbonation right on. Medium amount of alcohol warming, not at all overdone.

drinkability: highly recommended for the refreshing quality, the up front floral hop aroma, and the continuing pleasurable balance and finish in the taste.

This is cleary one of the best IPA's i've had in the eastern U.S. and probably equals the two best IPA's that I have tried in the northwest U.S. Highly recommended. Wish I had an endless stream of this beer.

4.33/5  rDev +0.5%

On tap at the SGB on a recent visit. The beer poured a solid amber color with a thin white head that lasted for a bit of time. The nose of this beer is a very preasant, a floral hop character that is strong and fresh with some citrus notes as well. The taste does not dissapoint with a piney hop lick that is tamed a bit with the grapefruit and lemon character of this one. There is also a good balance with a pleasant malt backbone to round things out. The mouthfeel is perfect for a hop head as this IPA does not disappoint and provides a fine drinking experience.

4.2/5  rDev -2.6%

Appearance- Medium amber in color. minimal head (at least on this pour) with little or no lacing activity.

Smell- Strong hop smell as it should have. Hope oils are particularly noticeable. Decent amount of grapefruit-like flavors that I expect in a good IPA.

Taste- Again, hops are most prevalent. Grapefruit/hop-oily flavors come through fairly strong. Hints of citrus.

Mouthfeel- slightly under carbonation on this one, but other than that it's good.

Drinkability- Excellent. A very quaffable brew.

4.38/5  rDev +1.6%

Presentation: Available On-Tap and Cask at the Selin’s Grove Brewery during a quiet Saturday afternoon visit. I sampled it from the Beer Engine on Cask.

Appearance: A very pale copper body with some hesperidia orange when backlit. Smooth white creamy head at first, but it relaxes to a thin bubbled covering that never quite gives in. Nice levels of conditioning, a tip of the glass shows that there is enough life in this Cask offering to reveal that it is fresh.

Nose: Gorgeous nose, citrus, grapefruit and a light lemon hint. Mellow in strength but deep inhalations are enticing.

Taste: Sharp bitterness on the tongue with some juicy citric and grapefruit on the cheeks. Sharp twists of flavor here and there, they are high in strength but they rise and fall smoothly. The merest hint of the 7% is detectable in the finish, but the grapefruit bitterness soon has me forgetting about that.

Mouthfeel: Powder soft carbonation on the palate with rising peaks of hops, bitterness, grapefruit and lemon but it is never spikey in nature. Alcohol lends a hand.

Drinkability: A fantastic libation – this one is perfectly balanced and a real pleasure to drink.

Overall: The longer I live on the West Coast the more appreciative I become of the session-like IPA’s which have poise, balance and balls. If you get of anything at Selin’s Grove – make it the IPA, either that or have fun and try to kick a keg/cask of this one, shouldn’t be too hard.

4.28/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had this on tap at the brewpub.

Taps a slightly hazy (chill haze?) light amber/orange with a orange-tinted, creamy head of small bubbles. The head drops off to coating and a ring after @ 2-3 minutes.Not much in the way of lacing. Slight carbonation evident.

Aroma is citrusy/piney hops, faint pale malt, maybe a little alcohol. Not alot of aroma, but what was there was inviting.

The first flavor is bitterness, but not like overwhelming or anything. Appropriate for style. Then you taste lemony, orangey hops, with maybe a little pine in the back, followed by smooth pale malt, slight toffee, maybe pineapple. Very pleasant. Warmth from alcohol finishes off this well balanced IPA.

Mouthfeel is of great balance, if that's possible. Nothing really stands out. Soft carbonation, bitterness in the back of your throat, creamy malt sweetness, and a nice long warm finish.

This beer is a pounder, if you like IPA's. It would be a perfect "session beer" for the more ABV tolerant people, if you know what I mean.

4.68/5  rDev +8.6%

Wow, this is just an exceptional IPA that I would love to try on cask sometime. The appearance is perfect. Hazy orange amber with a nice cap of thick white foam. The aromas are of spicy hops. They seem to be Cascades and Centennials, but i've been wrong before when guessing hops. The taste is all about spicy fresh hops. There are some good citrus flavors, and a bit of a piney taste in the mix as well. The malts are their as well. Bready and lovely in the background. The finish is dry and hop=ubrup inducing with all the resiny goodness that this brew pumps out at you. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and drinkability is exceptional. The carbonation levels of this one are just perfect, making it the ultimate session IPA. I want more.

4.83/5  rDev +12.1%

Tasted on draft at the AWESOME Selinsgrove Brewing Co. and in a take-home growler.

Appearance - Pours a nice amber-ish color with an off-white head. Excellent head life and lacing throughout the glass. An excellent looking brew.

Smell - Smells of a beautiful array of hops and citrus-like notes. A boquet, almost flowery smell to it that really got me excited to dive into this beer. One of the best smelling IPAs I have sampled.

Taste - Wow. I can't even begin to explain how good this is. A very nice collection of hoppy flavors mixed with a sweetness that is not over-bearing. Gives you a hop punch, but also lets you down easy with a sweeter, smooth finish. A testament to IPAs!! (Note: I think the brewer said it contained Amarillo, Crystal, Tettnanger, and another hop).

Mouthfeel - This one is bitter and sweet, not very offensive to the tongue. Just a smooth ride all the way through.

Drinkability - I had 3 half-pints and a Growler of this to go. The alcohol isn't terribly high and the flavor of this beer is so good, you'll have to go back to this well very often. Just an excellent beer.

Interesting side note: I drank what was left in my growler last night. Came to work today and was using the rest room (deuce)...the entire bathroom smelled like the hops in this IPA. It was totally awesome. Go and drink this beer!!

India Pale Ale from Selin's Grove Brewing Company