India Pale Ale - Selin's Grove Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

Selin's Grove Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: rdrummer on 05-09-2004

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 154 | Reviews: 84
4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

3.88/5  rDev -10%

I had this at the Brew Pub. Served in a sample glass.

Appearance: The beer pours a clear golden amber color with a layer of off white head that fades to a ring around the pour.

Smell: I'm getting a citrus peel hop bitterness right off the bat. This one smells quite heavy with some malt sweetness and alcohol along with the hops. Perhaps a bit muddles.

Taste: Definitely an east coast IPA. The hop bitterness mauls the tongue, but I feel it could be a bit more refined. Very aggressive citrus hops maul the tongue. There is a mild fruity note here along with the hops. The finish is quite bitter.

Mouthfeel: The body is medium with lots of carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: This beer isn't what I expected, especially after trying the pale ale. The hop bitterness just assaults the tongue, but it needs to be held back a bit. Good but not great.

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

First time I've been able to try this brew. All the other times I've been to SGB it's been out so I'm pretty excited.

A: Bright orange-gold with a slight haze for the color. Pours with two fingers of white head that dissipates into a tiny patchwork on top. Almost no lacing to speak of.

S: All over the board with hops here! Some initial flowery smell up front followed by piney goodness and a hint of tropical fruits (grapefruit, pineapple)

T: Once again all hops here. A lot of the flowery and piney flavors from the nose come in here. The malt is there just enough to provide a backbone for this beer but it is all about hoppy goodness here. Not the bitterness you might expect with just a little bitterness up front, which gets washed away pretty quickly. Finishes nice and dry.

M: Medium mouthfeel here. Still lets you know you are drinking a beer but doesn't get in the way of the flavor:

O: Another winner from SGB. If you happen to be in the pub when this is on, you should definitely grab a pint of it. Great example of an IPA that doesn't try to wow you with IBU's.

3.75/5  rDev -13%

3.92/5  rDev -9%

on tap at the brewpub on 9/28

A good looking pint, deep amber, small head which dissipated quite quickly. Not too much carbonation

Smell was nice and hoppy, though oddly enough I felt I got more from the APA earlier.

Taste was what you would expect from a good IPA, really got into the crevices of the mouth, leaving that "aahhh" feeling.

Overall, a good one, could see a session on just this alone.

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

4.45/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

All too often I find beers I have wanted to try for a very long time end up being a letdown. Or, I just build them up so much without realizing that I have tried so many beers that I may be setting the bar way too high.

This IPA does not disappoint. Intense, consistent, and thorough in flavor profile. I was not bothered by having a whole growler of this to have to drink.

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours a deep golden color with about 1/2 finger of creamy white head with decent retention.

The scent is of citrus hops, bitter floral hops, and fruit.

The taste is of bitter hops, citrus fruits, some spice notes.

Medium body, much smoother and more creamy than most IPA's, low carbonation.

I really enjoyed this IPA, the flavor was nice and well balanced and the unusual smoothness of the beer made it a very easy drinker.

3.5/5  rDev -18.8%

3.79/5  rDev -12.1%

Took this growler out to LA for the Bruery Barrel Age Tasting get together. I've had this a few times but just getting to a review of it.

A - super hazy orange color. I couldn't believe how much yeast was in suspension here. My buddies thought there was cottage cheese in it.

S - smells of mild citrus rind and wet grass. Not a huge nose to it like you would expect from a supposed top 10 IPA.

T - it does taste pretty good. Lots of orange fruit flavor. Reminds me of that Tampico juice my parents used to buy when I was a kid.

M - not much carbonation on this. I'm sure it had to do with being a growler and the transport of it from PA to L.A.

O - it's a good easy drinking IPA, but not really what I'd hoped for when I tried it. I can think of many ipa's I'd rather have.

4.25/5  rDev -1.4%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
India Pale Ale from Selin's Grove Brewing Company