Saison De Peche - Selin's Grove Brewing Company

Selin's Grove Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

The name refers to the "season of peach". This brew IS NOT a saison (as in the style) with peaches.

(Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 09-05-2005)
4.43/5  rDev +5.7%

On tap at the Selins Grove Brew Pub.

I was going to get a growler of this, but it kicked on my pour (at least I had the change to get some!).

Poured a medium and hazy golden color with a small sized white head. Aromas of peaches with some citrus. Tastes of peaches (lot more than the aromas), citrus, and some spiciness. Started out sweet and ended in a nice peach tart finish. I usually hate peaches, but this one worked for me and damn, I wish I was able to get a Growler of it.

Notes from 10/26/08

hopdog, Nov 17, 2008
3.95/5  rDev -5.7%

64oz Growler

I was lucky enough to receive this growler today in a great trade with Kegatron, thanks Heath! Selin's Grove Peche Saison gurgles from the filled to the brim growler into my tulip a hazy apricot orange. The haziness is enough to keep me from seeing through the glass. A two finger clean white head formed on the first pour but fell rather quickly to a skimming and small ring. The second pour had a little better retention and thin sheet lacing down the glass.

The nose is right there between a fruit beer and saison. I'm not completely sure which way this beer leans. The peach shows some sweet and some tart in the nose as it's the first thing to hit me out of the glass. The saison flits around underneath the peach with hints of tart green apple wafting through here and there. Faint earthiness lays down the base of this peach infused saison with some white pepper sprinkled in for good measure. The nose of this beer is very appetizing but I would have liked to see a little more of the saison coming through in the nose.

Luckily the saison comes through more in the flavor then in the aroma. Green apple mingles with the peaches and creates a fruitiness I've never come across before. The peach is more tart then sweet and the tartness actually grows as this beer works through the mouth. There's a faint earthiness that's barely detectable before a residual sweetness washes over my tongue quickly mid palate. The tartness kicks in on the backend and swallow. This is an interesting saison.

The mouthfeel of this beer doesn't have that perfect mouthfeel of the best saisons but it does have an incredible dryness on the swallow that leaves me parched while the tartness takes hold. The body is fairly light and the carbonation pretty mellow for a saison. At this point I've come to expect different things then a normal saison.

This growler is going down the hatch no problem. Peche Saison would be one of those perfect outdoor summer sippers, and even though it just cooled down here it's still hard to put down the glass.

This is my first taste of Selin's Grove and hopefully not my last. I really like the idea behind this beer and they did a great job putting it together. If I had any complaint, which is just me being too picky for my own good, it would be that the peach seems to overtake the saison at times. Thanks for the generous growler Heath!

joe1510, Oct 30, 2008
4.68/5  rDev +11.7%

On tap at the SGB on 10/4/08. Served in a goblet.

Pours a hazy, deep, burnt orange with about 3/4 of a finger of brite-white head. Solid retention that flares up nicely, leaving a huge cascade of lacing that sticks absolutley to the sides of the glass. Hello? Fresh peach tartness just dominates the nose, with some additional yeasty funk that compliments the tartness and keeps things interesting.

The taste is just succulent fresh peach characacter that literally tastes like someone just squeezed some right into the glass. The peach taste is fairly tart but there is also some underlying sweetness under there that pulls some of the sour back. Much like the aroma, there is also just a tingle of funk in the back that livens things up and keeps this from becoming one-note from all of the peach taste. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a smooth and creamy feel that carries all of that tanginess well. Finishes with a smack of crisp tartness that has you licking your lips.

Wow! Wow! Wow! Another beautiful work of art of a fruit beer from the SGB. Fresh and incredibly tasty and I love how the Saison aspects gave this some extra oompth. My mouth is just salivating thinking of this stuff.

Kegatron, Oct 07, 2008
4.6/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured a hazy straw gold with amber hues. Thin and frothy off-white head has good retention and leaves nice lacing. Smells of wheat, sugar, peaches, yeast, and spice. Tastes of sweet, tart peaches right from the start followed by a touch of cinnamon and other spices. All balanced out with a nice malt presence and some sour funk. Medium in body with good carbonation. Smooth and creamy with a nice amount of sweetness and sourness to entertain the mouth. Selin's Grove rarely disappoints with their fruity beers and this one is right up there amongst the best of them. Low in alcohol and extremely drinkable.

HopDerek, Oct 06, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

Wow!! had on tap at SG on 9/25/08.

This is one damn tasty Saison, maybe my favorite that I have had to date. Not one normally for the fruit beers, this one has proven me wrong.

Poured into its goblet a hazy, slightly peachy, golden color. What I loved about the smell was the peach. As in, real peach. Just enough of it to that I assured myself I wouldn't take a sip and think I had Kool aid. The rest of the aroma was a very mild, yeast, peach, candy, and maybe some natural spiceness from the yeast. Very much standard saison fare with a peach kicker

This saison brings all the flavors together in one juicy bouquet of awesome. I could see this being an amazing saison w/o the peach as well, and the peach just adds a very refreshing aspect to the whole experience.

Now accepting all generous growler offers from lucky PA residents, because I didn't have the smarts to grab one there.

On another note, for my last beer of the night they have a short list of "popular mixes". Out of curiously I had the Peach Saison/Organic Triple blend and MY GOD I was in triple peach heaven. I highly suggest it for something different.

naproxen, Sep 30, 2008
4.72/5  rDev +12.6%

Growler into goblet on 9/28/08.

A - Opaque peachy/salmon-colored body with thin white head that left polka-dotted lacing down the glass.

S - Subtle peach aroma with a mild sourness and a bit of funk.

T - Tastes like biting into a ripe peach with a mild tartness. Alcohol is virtually undetectable.

M - Syrupy but not viscous, with a smooth texture. Carbonation is subtle and not too fizzy. Finish is warm and dry.

D - Artful combination of peaches and a farmhouse ale. The tartness offsets the sweetness, resulting in a very well-balanced brew.

brewslut, Sep 28, 2008
4.72/5  rDev +12.6%

On tap at SGB on 9/27/08. Served in a 14oz. goblet.

A - Cloudy peach-colored body with orange and copper hues and half a finger of creamy white head that settled into a ring of retention but flared up with each agitation. Head also left a nice coating of sticky lacing around the glass.

S - Subtle nose with fresh peaches, sugar, some funky yeast and a touch of spice. Faint alcohol presence as well.

T - The sweetness of the fresh peach and the sour tartness of the yeast really works well together. There is only an inkling of funk in the backend, and virtually no bitterness at all. Some earthy aspects emerge in the finish, but overall this brew is all about juicy peach complemented by a sour tartness. Beautiful!

M - Creamy, smooth body with just enough carbonation to provide a bit of prickly texture on the palate. Finishes with a pleasant tart sourness in contrast to the sweetness on the tongue.

D - All I can say is... FINALLY! I have been waiting so long to try this, and it definitely exceeded my expectations. Wow! The flavor of this brew is absolutely amazing. Simply one of the best fruit beers I've ever had. Huge props to Steve and Heather for creating this sweet nectar of the Gods!

ffejherb, Sep 28, 2008
4.72/5  rDev +12.6%

Thanks to Deaune for providing this growler.

Pours a nice orange hue that is indicative of the large amount of peach incorporated into this ale, a small amount of lacy white bubbles persist on top.

A sniff leaves little doubt this is peach but the odor complex and not overpowering

The taste is sweet at the start but mellows with more than a hint of tartness and dryness that finish quite nicely with some residual astringency.

Mouthfeel is excellent with a crip dryness nicely balancing the sweet and tart flavors.

Drinkability--too bad I have but one growler, this is one of the few beers I refuse to share with my brother, it is just that good.

sailbretthd, Sep 28, 2008
4.53/5  rDev +8.1%

This is a beautiful beverage. Poured from a growler into a large red wine glass, this beer maintains the pale orangey copper color found on the inside of an over-ripened peach. It's quite reminiscent (in color; not clarity consistency) of the canned peach nectar. A thin ring white bubbles encircle the perimeter of the glass and swirl into the middle on each sip.

The aroma is subtle but a small swirl of the glass brings up fermenting wine esters, giving off both acidic and alcohol aromas. There isn't an overwhelming peach scent.

The flavor is slightly sweet up front, and quickly turns with a tangy, tartness. There is a terrific mouthfeel to this beer - it is a little thick across the tongue accompanied by a fleeting bite of carbonation. The tartness feels dry on the teeth and a leaves an astringency feel on the roof of my mouth (not in a bad way at all!)

This is a delightful treat. My thanks to Deuane for making the extra effort to bring this home!

SierraGS, Sep 28, 2008
4.45/5  rDev +6.2%

A-Brilliant golden orb of hazy Tequila Sunrise colored beer. Thanks to Jeff for the T.S. reference.

S-A faint and slight mustiness and then nothing but the zing of peaches.

T-WOW! Fresh, tart peaches. Almost like a peach lambic but not quite that tart. Nowhere near as sweet as last years offering. I am wondering if a little bit o' Brett got thrown into this batch!

M-Light bodied and super crisp/tart. A nice underlying fruit sweetness keeps everything in check.

D-R U Kidding? The tartness in this years batch only adds to it's crack-a-bility! A stellar beer I have been waiting with baited breath for all year. Thank goodness it did not disappoint!

Deuane, Sep 27, 2008
2.58/5  rDev -38.4%

Presentation: Available On-Tap at the Selin’s Grove Brewery during a quiet Saturday afternoon visit. Shared this one with BA Erica, sampled from a Goblet as this was listed as a ** on the Menu which meant that it was a Special and not available in the larger glass sizes or even growlers.

Appearance: Pale gold body with finely attenuated bubbles which cling to the surface but never completely disappear. Minimal carbonation but enough to lend life.

Nose: Reminded me of the hit you get when you open a Tin of Peaches for the first time. Fruit salad finish with a little sweetness.

Taste: The entrance is clean and pretty crisp but soon the fleshy peaches completely take over this brew, they just totally annihilate anything that was previously there. I managed to some grain and breaded yeast but it was fleeting. Akin to drinking a carbonated version of the sweetened juice from a tin of peaches. I’m sure some will really enjoy this but the sweetness of the peaches just put me off this one.

Mouthfeel: Reasonably carbonated but a little low on life. Has a shallow feel at first but the peach sweetness just takes control, this does help to bolster this one in the backend.

Drinkability: Tried a couple of tastes, but I got to grips with this one first time around. Distinctive but just too “Peachy” - is that a word!?

Overall: Glad I shared this one. The idea of a Peche Saison sounds great, but whilst this one had plenty of Peche it was lacking in the Saison, so ultimately this one failed to live up to my expectations, it was just too sweet for my liking. Not bad, but a little girlie, if that doesn’t sound offensive.

TheLongBeachBum, Sep 05, 2005