Bourbon Cask Porter - Selin's Grove Brewing Company

pDev: n/a
Selin's Grove Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Porter |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 02-08-2006)
Reviews by OldFrothingSlosh:
4.6/5  rDev n/a
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Another trip to Pennsylvania took me right past Selin's Grove Brewing Company and (of course) that means another delicious lunch (and dinner the next night) at a true gem of a brewpub.

Seeing the Bourbon Cask Porter on, I was at first hesitant, as some of my previous bourbon cask-aged beers have been less than tasty for me. I was...um....glad I tried it.

Per the beer menu:

"Our porter aged in an oak bourbon cask which imparted delicate smok vanilla-like aromas and flavors of muted licorice with notes of alcohol, black pepper, and charred oak."

Simply stunning on tap. Inky darkness with hints of cherry wood in the edges. T-H-I-C-K tan-colored head resists any efforts to go away. Lacing of the glass is superb. Aromas are caramel-coffee-chocolate-whiskey-char....all at once. Flavor? See description above. Their porter with just a hint of "bourbony" flavors, some smoke-n-char, and a peppery-vanilla finish. Amazing meld of flavors, with the bourbon character playing a very small, yet definitely noticed role. Thick on the palate, full-bodied, low-medium carbonation. Drinkability is off the scale. Sadly, I had no way to refrigerate a growler (brought 2 with) during my stay in PA. This is stellar.

Notes: Knowing that I am moving to Pennsylvania and will be within 15 minutes of this place makes me a very, VERY happy camper. I see LOTS and LOTS of growlers from this place in my future.

Do yourself a favor and obtain some beer from this place.

4.65/5  rDev n/a

Another rarity from the archives...

A-Black pour with a small, creamy tan head that receded to a thin ring. Lovely lacing left behind.

S-Inhale....sheer extacy. Inhale....ohhhh! Wow! It is amazing what a short time of barrel aging will do to a brew. This has taken White Horse Porter to a new level! Bourbon up front with chocolate and roasted malt notes in the background.

T-White Horse Porter up front with a gentle,loving bourbon kiss from the time spent in the cask. A great job not to overwhelm the porter with toomuch alcohol.

M-Medium body and oh so creamy with the cask delivery.

D-Crazy good. Amazing what a time in a barrel will do! This was a special treat to savor. Big thanks to Steve H. and Jeff for securing the barrel and of course to Steve L. for putting this together.

Bourbon Cask Porter from Selin's Grove Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.