Bourbon Cask Porter - Selin's Grove Brewing Company

pDev: n/a
Selin's Grove Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Porter |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 02-08-2006)
4.65/5  rDev n/a

Another rarity from the archives...

A-Black pour with a small, creamy tan head that receded to a thin ring. Lovely lacing left behind.

S-Inhale....sheer extacy. Inhale....ohhhh! Wow! It is amazing what a short time of barrel aging will do to a brew. This has taken White Horse Porter to a new level! Bourbon up front with chocolate and roasted malt notes in the background.

T-White Horse Porter up front with a gentle,loving bourbon kiss from the time spent in the cask. A great job not to overwhelm the porter with toomuch alcohol.

M-Medium body and oh so creamy with the cask delivery.

D-Crazy good. Amazing what a time in a barrel will do! This was a special treat to savor. Big thanks to Steve H. and Jeff for securing the barrel and of course to Steve L. for putting this together.

4.6/5  rDev n/a
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Another trip to Pennsylvania took me right past Selin's Grove Brewing Company and (of course) that means another delicious lunch (and dinner the next night) at a true gem of a brewpub.

Seeing the Bourbon Cask Porter on, I was at first hesitant, as some of my previous bourbon cask-aged beers have been less than tasty for me. I was...um....glad I tried it.

Per the beer menu:

"Our porter aged in an oak bourbon cask which imparted delicate smok vanilla-like aromas and flavors of muted licorice with notes of alcohol, black pepper, and charred oak."

Simply stunning on tap. Inky darkness with hints of cherry wood in the edges. T-H-I-C-K tan-colored head resists any efforts to go away. Lacing of the glass is superb. Aromas are caramel-coffee-chocolate-whiskey-char....all at once. Flavor? See description above. Their porter with just a hint of "bourbony" flavors, some smoke-n-char, and a peppery-vanilla finish. Amazing meld of flavors, with the bourbon character playing a very small, yet definitely noticed role. Thick on the palate, full-bodied, low-medium carbonation. Drinkability is off the scale. Sadly, I had no way to refrigerate a growler (brought 2 with) during my stay in PA. This is stellar.

Notes: Knowing that I am moving to Pennsylvania and will be within 15 minutes of this place makes me a very, VERY happy camper. I see LOTS and LOTS of growlers from this place in my future.

Do yourself a favor and obtain some beer from this place.

Bourbon Cask Porter from Selin's Grove Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.