Phoenix Kriek - Selin's Grove Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: Sammy on 05-06-2007

4.97/5  rDev +14.8%

Growler acquired via trade with tgncc...THANKS TOM!!! Rusty penny/burnt tangerine pour with crimson highlights and a rather sizable eggshell head that left a spot or two inside the glass. Aroma begins subtle but develops significantly as it warms. Nose shows apple, cinnamon, tart cherry skin, lemon zest, and brown sugar. Dangerously drinkable and quite surprised by the 8% ABV. Lots of fruit, cherry, cinnamon spice, buttermilk biscuit, toffee, and honey. Amazing combination of sweet and sour. Tart finish. This was a FANTASTIC beer. Totally lived up to the hype. AMAZING!!!

4.8/5  rDev +10.9%

I was seriously bowled over with joy to be able to land this one. It first crossed my radar I want to say about a month ago and I knew this was going to be a hard pull for me. Whenever something is draft or growler only it lands a bit of difficulty, but not to be deterred, the wonderful Avalon came through for me again. This growler was kept cold until 08/25/2009 when I had the time to fully enjoy it. Poured into multiple pint glasses, it was all but destroyed last night saving for one pint I am saving for my Mother in law as she is a big fan of the style.
Appearance 5 - Perfect. End of story. Ruby red tinted brown in color with an enormous head of pinkish foam that came up to at least three inches over the top of the glass. Just an enormously good pour. The head settled down in a few minutes but it never really got much lower then about an inch and a half, and that was even pushing it, this thing was seriously a beast. Tons of sticky lace coating he sides and just an enormous overall look to it. To say I was impressed would again be another understatement.
Aroma 5 - Like tart cherry pie, or as close as you could get to it. Simply sublime. Rich notes of tart cherries, hints of almost currant, touches of raspberries and a nice bit of spice balanced in to it. Warming brings out a subtle sweetness that nearly knocks me out for the count.
Taste 4.5 - Such a warm and open flavor. Coating would be another great word for it. I just kept going back and back again and again, I really just could not get enough of this one.  Each sips more and more complex. Rich cherry flavor, touches of light cinnamon, a boozy note as it warms, with a really huge fruit profile. Unstoppable with its flavor, this was just literally outstanding in nearly every way possible. As it comes up near room temperature the subtle notes of warm brown sugar mixes with a tart, sour cherry to produce such a wonderfully complex flavor I am beside myself. Fades out slowly to just a touch of dry sour notes as it finishes.
Feel 5 - Again perfect. From the first frothy sips I took that tickled the nose from the copious head of foam on top, to the last, well carbonated drops that roll across the tongue letting you pull every last drop of flavor from this perfect, perfect beverage.
Drinkability 5 - Outstanding, this is 8%, not possible. I was getting through this faster then most IPA's and it never really felt like it caught up with me at all. Outstanding in every possible way. I was beyond impressed here, I was mesmerized.
Overall how are people not freaking over this one? One of the best examples of the style I have ever had, easily top 3 fruit beers I have ever had. This was just outstanding. If it were bottled I would have a cellar full of it. Just that good and worth every single sip. Please go get this one, you will not regret it.

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%

A-Deep, dark crimson with reddish brown highlights. Medium off-white purplish tinged head lasts long through the glass leaving nice lacing.

S-Tart cherries(really?) and a nice underlying sweetness with the suggestion of Belgian candi sugar and raisin/plum.

T-Tart cherries grab the tounge and NEVER let go! An underlying sweetnes keeps this from heading into Cantillon territory and keeps it crisp through and through. This is all about the cerries and nothing else.

M-Medium bodied and a bit syrupy but never cloying. The sharp, crsip tartness prevents that form happening.

D-A strong contender for all time favorite SGB seasonal offering....but then again so is RazzMerry and Pumpkin! I simply cannot get enough of this brew when it is available. I often have one or two and then start doing mixes with wahatever is on tap...like Kriek and Shade Mountain or Kriek/Stealth or....let my imagination run wild!

4.74/5  rDev +9.5%

Another ridiculous growler shared by MasterSki!

Pours a ruby red with a very, light pink head and ample lacing.

The smell is like the inside of a Hostess Cherry Pie. Very much more sweet/tart than sour. Smells absolutely amazing! It's almost an oven-fresh, cooling on the window sill type of smell.

Wow! The taste is even better! I'm now picking up a spiciness you would get from a crumble topping on a dutch apple pie. Slight cinnamon, allspice and crunchy oats. The cherries return as the beer warms... but for awhile, I get that mixed apple/cherry cobbler medley. I've never had something quite like this! Refreshing and a tiny bit sour. Exceptional!

I went back for another pour of this as it absolutely knocked my socks off! A perfect summer beer. Thanks to Alex for another amazing, hard-to-obtain beer!

4.7/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sampled from Growler (on several occasions).

Poured a dark reddish / brown color with a smaller sized off white head. Aromas of light sour/tart cherries, woody and caramel. All around cherry pie filling. Tastes of sweet and tart cherries with some vanilla (mmmm, cherry pie with vanilla ice cream). Nice tart and light puckering finish.

Notes from 10/9/06

4.68/5  rDev +8.1%

Huge thanks to KRAMER17801 for getting this one for me.

64 oz. growler poured into my Selin's Grove goblet.

I've heard a lot of good things about this brew. If I'm drinking a bloody colored beer, I might as well watch a bloody movie. Planet Terror it is.

Pours a blood-ruby hue with a fluffy half finger off-white head that has a hint of pink which dies down to a paper thin layer that lasts throughout. Very nice lacing left on the sides, almost a wall of foam remains clinging to the glass. Sour cherry and cherry cobbler in the nose, not overpowering by any means which makes this very pleasant to sniff. A fair amount of malt and woody aromas as well. Taste blows me away. First sip reminds me so much of my grandma's cherry pie. Fresh cherries on the tongue with a buttery pie crust as well. Much sweeter flavor than the nose leads you to believe, I love it. Aftertaste has a bit of vanilla and honey which pairs up perfectly with the cherries. This has a bit more thickness than the New Glarus Belgian Red with a creamy medium body. Carbonation is pretty smooth, very fitting for this beer. Is this really 8%? Good lord I know a few ladies who would melt over this treat. Hmm, I need to make a few phone calls ;) Selin's Grove keeps pumping out excellent beers, keep it up! I've been down there once, and I definitely need to make it there again...SOON!

edit: I can't stop licking my lips!!

4.65/5  rDev +7.4%

On tap at the brewpub. Served in a goblet.

Pours a deep, clear ruby color with a thin, off-white (with a purplish tint) head. Retains well around the edges of the goblet and leaves some thin wisps of foam across the top that leaves some nice swathes of lace that slide down the sides. The aroma is dominant tones of both candied and tart cherries, vanilla and caramel sweetness, and a light sense of heat.

The taste is more vanilla and cinnamon notes up front that meld into a fantastic blast of cherry tartness and is then followed by a tingling hop bitterness. Finishes with a sticky mix of hops and tart bitterness. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a nice creamy feel. There is a slight presence of heat but it's not really stinging in anyway, just adding a slight beef to the body.

One of my favorite seasonals at the SGB, this is more reminiscent of a New Glarus Fruit beer than a traditional sour Kriek. That's OK though, as it makes the beer much more accessible and drinkable while still being completely awesome. Get up there and try this stuff now!

4.65/5  rDev +7.4%

Pours a deep ruby color with about one finger of white fluffy head that didn't last long.

The scent is dominant of sweet cherries, some notes of sweet sugar.

The taste is of sweet cherries at first but then turns to tart as it finishes. There is also a notable presence of biscuity malt and vanilla that makes this taste like cherry pie.

Medium body, smooth and a little sticky, moderate carbonation.

This was a delicious beer, full of flavor and well balanced. I would definitely go for this again.

4.62/5  rDev +6.7%

Growler thanks to MasterSki poured into a red wine glass. Thanks again, Alex!

A-Pours a muddled dark pink rose with subtle eggshell colored head.

S-Alex hit it right: Straight up cherry juice, though I picked up hints of apple as well as some clove.

T-Wow! Such a unique tart cherry flavor that overpowers just about any other aspect of the beer. However, I was really getting a ton of biscuit and spice and felt like I was drinking pureed cherry pie. Just plain awesome.

M-Relatively full-bodied, mild carbonation, but I was fine with that from the growler. This left a buttery slick finish on my tongue, which only accentuated my impression of liquid cherry pie.

O-Well, this is by no means a kriek, but there is some subtle sourness and that sounds so much better than "cherry beer." This was easily one of the best fruit beers I've had and would drink a whole growler of this easily.

4.62/5  rDev +6.7%

Growler into multiple wine glasses shared with my wife. This brew appears a perfectly polished clear, deep ruby red color with a fizzy creamy pink tinted head that quickly dissolves to nothing. A light swirl releases some bubbles but not enough to recharge the head. A faint amount of tiny spotty lace clings to the glass.

The aroma of this brew is a deep combination of mixed types of cherries. A nice mixture of sweet, tart and earthy cherry scents are leaning towards the pitted aspect and overly ripe in nature. The collective smell of the cherries easily makes its way into medicinal territory. As the brew warms up, the solid cherry aroma gives way to some subtle spices like cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg and faint clove.

The taste is deep cherry flavoring that covers the full spectrum of what you would experience while sitting and eating a bowl of fresh cherries. Some tastes are sweet, some tangy and tart others are deep and earthy to almost herbal. There is a pleasant spiced aspect to this brew that keeps it from being just an alcohol cherry juice brew. The spices come across to me like nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla and clove. An earthy flavor and minor herbal bitterness contrasts the tartness and sweetness of the cherry flavor keeping everything in a pleasant balance. With so much cherry flavoring, it is hard for this brew not to come off medicinal in nature. It does at times remind me of luden's cough drops, however it is strikingly more enjoyable.

This brew is slightly heavier than medium bodied with a light amount of carbonation. On tap this brew is lightly carbonated and as it transpires to the growler gets even lighter with the carb level. I dont know if I want to fault this brew for being too lightly carbonated as I think the light carbonation gives a much thicker feel that is very much reminiscent of the whole eating cherries experience that I get while I am drinking this. The alcohol is masterfully hidden here. I don't really have a sweet tooth for beers and I am not a huge fan of fruited beers, but there is just something about the Selinsgrove offerings that have me hooked. I absolutely hate paying $30 for a growler fill but honestly, after a glass of this I remember why I do it. At times, a couple of sniffs and sips suggest belgian yeast but it doesn't directly come off like that. I wish I knew Heather and Steve's secret for pulling this one off.

4.62/5  rDev +6.7%

Thanks to gunhaver for this one.

A: Pours a nice darker shade of reddish brown with some pink tones showing through. Small off white head no lace.

S: Wonderful aromas of dark tart cherries, with hints of sweet cherry candy and oak.

T: Taste is married to the aromas. Sweet and tart cherries, oak, and a touch of spice. Tasty as a hell I want my own growler of this one.

M: Medium in body, mild carbonation tasty... great.

D: A wonderful beer. I have heard great things about this one.... for good reason I may add.

4.62/5  rDev +6.7%

Special thanks to Brad (ygtbsm94) for bringing a growler of this to a tasting.

I got another growler from SamuelJackson45 and got to try it again on a fresh palate!

A: Pours a dark, dark, yet semi-transparent red (crimson) color with about a half inch head that quickly dissipated.

S: Fresh cherries, with beet-sugar style sweetness and a tingle of nuttiness deep down.

T: It reminded me a New Glarus Belgian Wisconsin Red, but not nearly as tart. This was pretty much cherry pie in a glass. I'm still in awe of how they did this.

M: Lacing galore, sweet without being in your face, and the carbonation is nice and bubbly.

D: Who doesn't like cherries? This kind of brew is can easily approach cherry cough syrup territory. This one avoids that in spades!

4.6/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

On tap at the brewpub.

A-Pours a ruby brown with a creamy, pink-tinged head. Great retention and lacing.

S-Sour cherry is the dominant aroma with a hint of cream.

T-Very rich creaminess with tart cherries and some vanilla.

M-Silky, light and creamy.

D-The best fruit beer I have ever had. Great flavors and mouthfeel. Very enjoyable.

4.57/5  rDev +5.5%

Hand-bottle acquired via trade.

Pours an amber brown color with a small off-white head. The aroma is resplendent with ripe tart cherries. There is an elegant simplicity to this aroma, it is straightforward with no pretentiousness.

The flavor shows more tart cherries, cherry pit, and plenty of mouth-puckering sour cherries. This kinda reminds me of Cantillion Blabaer in its approach, Phoenix does for cherries what Blabaer does for blueberries, very elegant.

The palate is silky smooth, the finish is long and tart.

Its hard to believe this is an American brew and not one of the great Euros. Selins Grove has done it right. Great quaff. Try it.

4.53/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Growler shared by ygtbsm94. Thanks Brad!

A: Ruby hued with a gigantic tan head that coats the glass in lacing.

S: The aroma is more subtle than the taste. Scents include cherries, cherries, cherries with hints of cherry pie and cherries. Oh, yeah I almost forgot...cherries. It's really that simple.

T: Cherries, fresh from the tree. The beer is sweet but not cloying. This is without a doubt my favorite fruit beer that isn't sour. It's very drinkable and enjoyable. Other beers of this ilk often quickly become cloying and lose their appeal. Not the case with this well-crafted gem.

M: Smooth and tasty. Great carbonation level, especially from a growler.

D: Surprisingly easy to drink, as the beer has considerable sweetness. One would think the beer would become cloying, but it's just so tasty I keep going back for more.

4.52/5  rDev +4.4%

Tasting with Agent Zero.

Growler into my Narke tulip.

The beer pours a dark plum/marroon, with a light tope head that doesn't raise much, not a ton going on here...The aroma is super sweet, lots of sweet cherries that have a candy/medicinal quality. Light tartness. Its pretty nice, could use a little more tartness to even it out better...The taste is sweet light tart but good, after awhile a little too sweet, its almost sticky like candy. Again with a litlte more tartness this would be great...The feel is really nice, almost stickyness in the mouth....It starts out easy to drink, but after a glass overwhelmed by sweetness. Good thing I split this with three people. This is good for a glass but thats it.

Overall, this is a really good, a total fruit beer not much of a lambic quality at all. Very similar to NG Belgian Red. I would recommend this for any fruit beer fans.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

When I saw that this was on tap recently and I knew that my wife was going to be passing through Selinsgrove to visit I a friend, I had to get a growler. Luckily she was down with the idea. The growler was filled Sunday afternoon and I first sampled this beer that evening.

Upon opening the growler I was greeted with a huge pop! These swing top growlers really work great.

The beer poured a dense, deep red color into my tulip glass with a nice pink frothy head. There is some really thick lacing down the sides of the glass and it, along with the head lasted awhile.

The nose this fine beer gives you a fresh rush of tart cherries that is very pleasing to the nose and will be even more pleasing to the taste buds. The taste is more of the same. Nice big fresh cherries that just lingers in the mouth and leaves a sweet and sour taste on my tongue that make you want more. There are also some citrus and peppery notes in this beer as well. Like northyorksammy mentioned in his review, this beer does have an organic taste to it which would fit the Selins Grove profile as they have a few organic beers that are really tastey. I am sad to report that my growler is almost empty but we will be back for more.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Thanks for this one, Barry. Phoenix Kriek pours a turbid cherry red, the color of black cherry skins. A tall two finger head rises and quickly settles to a thin blanket, which shows nice retention. The aroma is bursting with fresh, ripe cherries. There's not much actual beer character to this one, it's all fruit with a hint of spice (allspice and nutmeg, perhaps). The taste follows suit; the cherry character is massive and completely overwhelms any trace of malt, but it exhibits plenty of depth in itself. It's sweet, but not overly - the finish dries the palate slightly, and there's a light tartness, making this easy to quaff. Delicious stuff, it's reminiscent of Belgian Red from New Glarus, but not nearly as syrupy sweet.

4.47/5  rDev +3.2%

First had: on tap at the brewpub

Easily my favorite brew from SG. Wow. They call it a kriek, but their description clearly says that it is not a lambic, but instead something closer to a Flanders sour.

Poured a deep reddish-mahogany, moderately hazy but still mostly see-through; a small layer of bubbles that quickly reduced to a ringlet. Aroma of freshly squeezed/crushed black cherries, mixed with honey and mead. Taste simply blew me away...pure, full-blown cherry pie, more sweet and pulpy than tart, and I could swear I even tasted the doughy crust; afterthoughts of nutmeg. Smooth mouthfeel, on the heavier side of medium bodied, chewy, and really just awesome from start to finish.

4.47/5  rDev +3.2%

Big thanks to stakem for sending this one out!

Poured into LA tulip. Glad I found out this one isn't a kreik because it isn't brewed with wild yeast. So rating this as a fruit beer.

Pours about a finger of light pink hued khaki head. Fades to a thick ring. Doesn't leave hardly any lace. Color is a hazed dark cherry red with a slight brown hue to it.

Aroma: Cherries and then some. There is a nice oak flavor here that adds a layer I really enjoy. The cherries are mellow and not tart/sour. Very clean and earthy. Mainly just a lot of fruits, but very well done.

Taste: Reminds me a bit of WI Belgian Red. The cherries are slightly tart here, but barely. Very fresh and earthy. Has some light yeast flavors. It does have some spice flavors that I didn't pick up in the nose which add a nice layer to the cherries. Not too sour or tart, but sweet in a good way.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and slightly tart. Pretty refreshing feel to it. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends with a cherry candy flavored aftertaste, slightly dry but clean.

Overall, I am very impressed with this one. I am already getting towards the end of my second glass and not getting sick of it. Very drinkable. One of the best fruit beers I have had. I am very glad I got to try this one.

4.46/5  rDev +3%

Growler courtesy of kramer on RB (thanks man!). Pours a hazy reddish brown color with a nice 2 finger head. Head is slight tan and forms a nice little "coaster" on top as it settles. The aroma is very much ripe cherry and almost a wood like quality that I can't put my finger on. Not tart smelling by any means but more like sweet cherries. The taste is very nice; starting slightly tart and transitioning nicely to a sweet cherry flavor. Not too sweet though to be overpowering. Mouthfeel is light/medium. Very much a fruit beer as opposed to a true kriek. Very good. Right up there with New Glarus fruit beers which I am most familiar with. As for drinkability, I pretty much drank the whole growler in a day.

4.45/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Selin's Grove

A: Deep blood red body. Large inch plus pinkish head. Good retention with gorgeous sheet-like lacing.

S: Dank cherries. Slightly sweet with a ton of tartness. Some other dark fruit notes are muted in the background. Warming spice notes as well.

T: Beautiful. A wonderful balance of sweet and tart. Since this isn't a true lambic, its a bit sweeter than something like a Cantillon Kriek. Despite the sweetness, it is not medicinal at all. Again warming spices like cinnamon are present in the background. Each sip is just a tad different than the sip before. Nice.

M: Medium to full bodied. Solid carbonation, but not to the point of fizzy. A little pucker and some nice lingering sweetness. Ultimately, a little thicker than I'd prefer.

D: An intense and tasty experience. Glad to be able to make the trek out to the pub and get a few glasses and growlers.

4.45/5  rDev +2.8%

From 08/26/10 notes. Had at a local DC tasting.

a - Pours a murky, dark red color with 1 inch of white head and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of tart cherries and dark fruits, as well as spices.

t - Tastes of sweet cherries, tart dark fruits, spices, and fruity malts. Not too sweet or sour.

m - Medium body and low carbonation, very easy to drink.

d - I thought this was a very good fruit beer; it reminded me of Belgian Red a lot. Lots of sweet and tart cherries and dark fruits, I would love to get some more of this. Insanely easy to drink as well.

4.44/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to chase2634 for this. Poured into a snifter.

3.5 A: Lightly hazed deep amber mahogany color. Just a small touch of carbonation. Seems like the growler didn't keep it's seal.

4.5 S: A deep mixture of cherry. Sweet, prime of the ripe black cherry. Tart, hard red cherry. A touch of booze, but not hot. More like a the way a cheap, overly sweet brandy is boozy. This is a lot like NG BR, but the fruit isn't as in-your-face powerful and thus allows the base beer to also be discernable. The malts give a neutral sweetness and are grainy overall. Quite nice.

4.5 T: Taste is naturally dominated by cherry. The sweet fruitiness outweighs the tart by a good margin. I would liken it to a cherry pie made from cans. Intense cherry throughout, which covalesce to produce a light medicinal vibe. A slight tart bite on finish. Again, grainy malts. Light nutmeg spiciness. Very good.

4.5 M: Heavier medium body. Surprisingly, the carbonation is adequate. Rich and slightly chewy, the way this beer should be.

4.5 D: To make a good fruit beer, the brewer needs to really commit to the fruit. This does just that. Perfect beer for the cherry lover who wants a break from Belgian Red.

4.44/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Phoenix Kriek has a deep red colored body with a light red head. Fair retention leads to a few bits of lacing here and there.

The aroma is packed with cherries that showcase both sweetness and tartness. The aroma is basically just cherry juice, but it is delightful; not sugary or cloying, just the suggestion of fresh pressed cherries.

The flavor really focuses on the cherry flavors also. Fresh pressed cherries provide fair amounts of sweetness and tartness to go along with the cherry flavors. The sweetness is nowhere near cloying, and the tartness is a natural cherry type of tartness, and has nothing to do with wild yeast. Underneath the cherry there is just a touch of light malt, but it is barely noticeable.

This beer has some prickly carbonation, but a fairly big body. I like it, this beer could be a dessert.

The more I drink of this beer, the more I feel like I want more. At no point does it become syrupy or creamy. It is loaded with smooth, natural cherry flavors. It reminds me a bit of Wisconsin Belgian Red.

Phoenix Kriek from Selin's Grove Brewing Company