Phoenix Kriek - Selin's Grove Brewing Company

Phoenix KriekPhoenix Kriek

Selin's Grove Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: weeare138 on 06-29-2007)

Afroman, Sep 07, 2014

aasher, Feb 09, 2012

yergermeister, Apr 18, 2012

thebouch01, Nov 14, 2011

StarryNight74, Jun 25, 2012

philerman, Jul 25, 2014

ten1965, May 20, 2012
4.97/5  rDev +15%

Growler acquired via trade with tgncc...THANKS TOM!!! Rusty penny/burnt tangerine pour with crimson highlights and a rather sizable eggshell head that left a spot or two inside the glass. Aroma begins subtle but develops significantly as it warms. Nose shows apple, cinnamon, tart cherry skin, lemon zest, and brown sugar. Dangerously drinkable and quite surprised by the 8% ABV. Lots of fruit, cherry, cinnamon spice, buttermilk biscuit, toffee, and honey. Amazing combination of sweet and sour. Tart finish. This was a FANTASTIC beer. Totally lived up to the hype. AMAZING!!!

BOLTZ7555, May 29, 2011
4.78/5  rDev +10.6%

I was seriously bowled over with joy to be able to land this one. It first crossed my radar I want to say about a month ago and I knew this was going to be a hard pull for me. Whenever something is draft or growler only it lands a bit of difficulty, but not to be deterred, the wonderful Avalon came through for me again. This growler was kept cold until 08/25/2009 when I had the time to fully enjoy it. Poured into multiple pint glasses, it was all but destroyed last night saving for one pint I am saving for my Mother in law as she is a big fan of the style.

Appearance 5 - Perfect. End of story. Ruby red tinted brown in color with an enormous head of pinkish foam that came up to at least three inches over the top of the glass. Just an enormously good pour. The head settled down in a few minutes but it never really got much lower then about an inch and a half, and that was even pushing it, this thing was seriously a beast. Tons of sticky lace coating he sides and just an enormous overall look to it. To say I was impressed would again be another understatement.

Aroma 5 - Like tart cherry pie, or as close as you could get to it. Simply sublime. Rich notes of tart cherries, hints of almost currant, touches of raspberries and a nice bit of spice balanced in to it. Warming brings out a subtle sweetness that nearly knocks me out for the count.

Taste 4.5 - Such a warm and open flavor. Coating would be another great word for it. I just kept going back and back again and again, I really just could not get enough of this one.  Each sips more and more complex. Rich cherry flavor, touches of light cinnamon, a boozy note as it warms, with a really huge fruit profile. Unstoppable with its flavor, this was just literally outstanding in nearly every way possible. As it comes up near room temperature the subtle notes of warm brown sugar mixes with a tart, sour cherry to produce such a wonderfully complex flavor I am beside myself. Fades out slowly to just a touch of dry sour notes as it finishes.

Feel 5 - Again perfect. From the first frothy sips I took that tickled the nose from the copious head of foam on top, to the last, well carbonated drops that roll across the tongue letting you pull every last drop of flavor from this perfect, perfect beverage.

Drinkability 5 - Outstanding, this is 8%, not possible. I was getting through this faster then most IPA's and it never really felt like it caught up with me at all. Outstanding in every possible way. I was beyond impressed here, I was mesmerized.

Overall how are people not freaking over this one? One of the best examples of the style I have ever had, easily top 3 fruit beers I have ever had. This was just outstanding. If it were bottled I would have a cellar full of it. Just that good and worth every single sip. Please go get this one, you will not regret it.

mikesgroove, Aug 26, 2009
4.78/5  rDev +10.6%

A-Deep, dark crimson with reddish brown highlights. Medium off-white purplish tinged head lasts long through the glass leaving nice lacing.

S-Tart cherries(really?) and a nice underlying sweetness with the suggestion of Belgian candi sugar and raisin/plum.

T-Tart cherries grab the tounge and NEVER let go! An underlying sweetnes keeps this from heading into Cantillon territory and keeps it crisp through and through. This is all about the cerries and nothing else.

M-Medium bodied and a bit syrupy but never cloying. The sharp, crsip tartness prevents that form happening.

D-A strong contender for all time favorite SGB seasonal offering....but then again so is RazzMerry and Pumpkin! I simply cannot get enough of this brew when it is available. I often have one or two and then start doing mixes with wahatever is on tap...like Kriek and Shade Mountain or Kriek/Stealth or....let my imagination run wild!

Deuane, Aug 16, 2008
4.75/5  rDev +10%

Another ridiculous growler shared by MasterSki!

Pours a ruby red with a very, light pink head and ample lacing.

The smell is like the inside of a Hostess Cherry Pie. Very much more sweet/tart than sour. Smells absolutely amazing! It's almost an oven-fresh, cooling on the window sill type of smell.

Wow! The taste is even better! I'm now picking up a spiciness you would get from a crumble topping on a dutch apple pie. Slight cinnamon, allspice and crunchy oats. The cherries return as the beer warms... but for awhile, I get that mixed apple/cherry cobbler medley. I've never had something quite like this! Refreshing and a tiny bit sour. Exceptional!

I went back for another pour of this as it absolutely knocked my socks off! A perfect summer beer. Thanks to Alex for another amazing, hard-to-obtain beer!

rudylaw, Jul 24, 2010

DrDietz, Oct 22, 2014

bigfnjoe, Jun 13, 2013

Lamdawg420, Apr 30, 2014

iL0VEbeer, May 20, 2014

NearTheGrove, Jan 02, 2013
4.72/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sampled from Growler (on several occasions).

Poured a dark reddish / brown color with a smaller sized off white head. Aromas of light sour/tart cherries, woody and caramel. All around cherry pie filling. Tastes of sweet and tart cherries with some vanilla (mmmm, cherry pie with vanilla ice cream). Nice tart and light puckering finish.

Notes from 10/9/06

hopdog, Nov 17, 2008
4.72/5  rDev +9.3%

Huge thanks to KRAMER17801 for getting this one for me.

64 oz. growler poured into my Selin's Grove goblet.

I've heard a lot of good things about this brew. If I'm drinking a bloody colored beer, I might as well watch a bloody movie. Planet Terror it is.

Pours a blood-ruby hue with a fluffy half finger off-white head that has a hint of pink which dies down to a paper thin layer that lasts throughout. Very nice lacing left on the sides, almost a wall of foam remains clinging to the glass. Sour cherry and cherry cobbler in the nose, not overpowering by any means which makes this very pleasant to sniff. A fair amount of malt and woody aromas as well. Taste blows me away. First sip reminds me so much of my grandma's cherry pie. Fresh cherries on the tongue with a buttery pie crust as well. Much sweeter flavor than the nose leads you to believe, I love it. Aftertaste has a bit of vanilla and honey which pairs up perfectly with the cherries. This has a bit more thickness than the New Glarus Belgian Red with a creamy medium body. Carbonation is pretty smooth, very fitting for this beer. Is this really 8%? Good lord I know a few ladies who would melt over this treat. Hmm, I need to make a few phone calls ;) Selin's Grove keeps pumping out excellent beers, keep it up! I've been down there once, and I definitely need to make it there again...SOON!

edit: I can't stop licking my lips!!

BeerTruth, Apr 19, 2008
4.7/5  rDev +8.8%

Pours a deep ruby color with about one finger of white fluffy head that didn't last long.

The scent is dominant of sweet cherries, some notes of sweet sugar.

The taste is of sweet cherries at first but then turns to tart as it finishes. There is also a notable presence of biscuity malt and vanilla that makes this taste like cherry pie.

Medium body, smooth and a little sticky, moderate carbonation.

This was a delicious beer, full of flavor and well balanced. I would definitely go for this again.

BeerCon5, May 31, 2012
4.68/5  rDev +8.3%

On tap at the brewpub. Served in a goblet.

Pours a deep, clear ruby color with a thin, off-white (with a purplish tint) head. Retains well around the edges of the goblet and leaves some thin wisps of foam across the top that leaves some nice swathes of lace that slide down the sides. The aroma is dominant tones of both candied and tart cherries, vanilla and caramel sweetness, and a light sense of heat.

The taste is more vanilla and cinnamon notes up front that meld into a fantastic blast of cherry tartness and is then followed by a tingling hop bitterness. Finishes with a sticky mix of hops and tart bitterness. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a nice creamy feel. There is a slight presence of heat but it's not really stinging in anyway, just adding a slight beef to the body.

One of my favorite seasonals at the SGB, this is more reminiscent of a New Glarus Fruit beer than a traditional sour Kriek. That's OK though, as it makes the beer much more accessible and drinkable while still being completely awesome. Get up there and try this stuff now!

Kegatron, Apr 01, 2008
4.68/5  rDev +8.3%

JHansen, Sunday at 02:01 AM
4.65/5  rDev +7.6%

Growler thanks to MasterSki poured into a red wine glass. Thanks again, Alex!

A-Pours a muddled dark pink rose with subtle eggshell colored head.

S-Alex hit it right: Straight up cherry juice, though I picked up hints of apple as well as some clove.

T-Wow! Such a unique tart cherry flavor that overpowers just about any other aspect of the beer. However, I was really getting a ton of biscuit and spice and felt like I was drinking pureed cherry pie. Just plain awesome.

M-Relatively full-bodied, mild carbonation, but I was fine with that from the growler. This left a buttery slick finish on my tongue, which only accentuated my impression of liquid cherry pie.

O-Well, this is by no means a kriek, but there is some subtle sourness and that sounds so much better than "cherry beer." This was easily one of the best fruit beers I've had and would drink a whole growler of this easily.

ChrisPro, Jul 26, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +7.6%

Growler into multiple wine glasses shared with my wife. This brew appears a perfectly polished clear, deep ruby red color with a fizzy creamy pink tinted head that quickly dissolves to nothing. A light swirl releases some bubbles but not enough to recharge the head. A faint amount of tiny spotty lace clings to the glass.

The aroma of this brew is a deep combination of mixed types of cherries. A nice mixture of sweet, tart and earthy cherry scents are leaning towards the pitted aspect and overly ripe in nature. The collective smell of the cherries easily makes its way into medicinal territory. As the brew warms up, the solid cherry aroma gives way to some subtle spices like cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg and faint clove.

The taste is deep cherry flavoring that covers the full spectrum of what you would experience while sitting and eating a bowl of fresh cherries. Some tastes are sweet, some tangy and tart others are deep and earthy to almost herbal. There is a pleasant spiced aspect to this brew that keeps it from being just an alcohol cherry juice brew. The spices come across to me like nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla and clove. An earthy flavor and minor herbal bitterness contrasts the tartness and sweetness of the cherry flavor keeping everything in a pleasant balance. With so much cherry flavoring, it is hard for this brew not to come off medicinal in nature. It does at times remind me of luden's cough drops, however it is strikingly more enjoyable.

This brew is slightly heavier than medium bodied with a light amount of carbonation. On tap this brew is lightly carbonated and as it transpires to the growler gets even lighter with the carb level. I dont know if I want to fault this brew for being too lightly carbonated as I think the light carbonation gives a much thicker feel that is very much reminiscent of the whole eating cherries experience that I get while I am drinking this. The alcohol is masterfully hidden here. I don't really have a sweet tooth for beers and I am not a huge fan of fruited beers, but there is just something about the Selinsgrove offerings that have me hooked. I absolutely hate paying $30 for a growler fill but honestly, after a glass of this I remember why I do it. At times, a couple of sniffs and sips suggest belgian yeast but it doesn't directly come off like that. I wish I knew Heather and Steve's secret for pulling this one off.

stakem, Jun 27, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +7.6%

Thanks to gunhaver for this one.

A: Pours a nice darker shade of reddish brown with some pink tones showing through. Small off white head no lace.

S: Wonderful aromas of dark tart cherries, with hints of sweet cherry candy and oak.

T: Taste is married to the aromas. Sweet and tart cherries, oak, and a touch of spice. Tasty as a hell I want my own growler of this one.

M: Medium in body, mild carbonation tasty... great.

D: A wonderful beer. I have heard great things about this one.... for good reason I may add.

tpd975, May 27, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +7.6%

Special thanks to Brad (ygtbsm94) for bringing a growler of this to a tasting.

I got another growler from SamuelJackson45 and got to try it again on a fresh palate!

A: Pours a dark, dark, yet semi-transparent red (crimson) color with about a half inch head that quickly dissipated.

S: Fresh cherries, with beet-sugar style sweetness and a tingle of nuttiness deep down.

T: It reminded me a New Glarus Belgian Wisconsin Red, but not nearly as tart. This was pretty much cherry pie in a glass. I'm still in awe of how they did this.

M: Lacing galore, sweet without being in your face, and the carbonation is nice and bubbly.

D: Who doesn't like cherries? This kind of brew is can easily approach cherry cough syrup territory. This one avoids that in spades!

Chaney, Nov 07, 2010