Phoenix Kriek - Selin's Grove Brewing Company

Phoenix KriekPhoenix Kriek

Selin's Grove Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: weeare138 on 06-29-2007)
4.18/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

The couple really nailed this one. Reddish with lace and a whisp of head. Perfect sour cherry taste, amazing, as good or better than a Belgian kriek. Real cherry with krieks. Medium plus mouhfeel, and a bit of above average carbonation which doesn't detract. Would like another glass in a month. Very organic tasting like real fruit was squeezed in just last night.

4.4/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a beautiful, bright ruby red with a nice light pink head and good amounts of lacing.

S: Strong cherries. Good amount of sweetness with a bit of sourness in there, more likely from the cherries than from any critters. A bit of an earthiness to it as well.

T: Strong cherries and a bit of earthiness. Hints of some Christmas-type spices, but not too much. Perhaps a touch of cinnamon.

M: Medium body with good carbonation. Sweet without being too cloying. Had no idea this was 8% until I looked.

D: Very, very drinkable all around. Definitely rivals the fruit beers of New Glarus, and is near the top of my list. With that said, I think Selin's Framboise is better.

3.73/5  rDev -13.7%

Bottle courtesy of Miver (handbottle): Poured a deep clear reddish color ale with some limited carbonation (due to the handbottling). Aroma of sour cheery with some light cough syrup notes. Taste is a nice mix between some sour cherry with some notes of oak and tart and some limited sweetness. I was slightly disappointed by the cough syrup notes that I could pick-up through the tasting. Nice body with no apparent alcohol. Well done but I could do without the cough syrup. Makes me want to take a road trip and taste the beer on site.

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%

4.78/5  rDev +10.6%

I was seriously bowled over with joy to be able to land this one. It first crossed my radar I want to say about a month ago and I knew this was going to be a hard pull for me. Whenever something is draft or growler only it lands a bit of difficulty, but not to be deterred, the wonderful Avalon came through for me again. This growler was kept cold until 08/25/2009 when I had the time to fully enjoy it. Poured into multiple pint glasses, it was all but destroyed last night saving for one pint I am saving for my Mother in law as she is a big fan of the style.

Appearance 5 - Perfect. End of story. Ruby red tinted brown in color with an enormous head of pinkish foam that came up to at least three inches over the top of the glass. Just an enormously good pour. The head settled down in a few minutes but it never really got much lower then about an inch and a half, and that was even pushing it, this thing was seriously a beast. Tons of sticky lace coating he sides and just an enormous overall look to it. To say I was impressed would again be another understatement.

Aroma 5 - Like tart cherry pie, or as close as you could get to it. Simply sublime. Rich notes of tart cherries, hints of almost currant, touches of raspberries and a nice bit of spice balanced in to it. Warming brings out a subtle sweetness that nearly knocks me out for the count.

Taste 4.5 - Such a warm and open flavor. Coating would be another great word for it. I just kept going back and back again and again, I really just could not get enough of this one.  Each sips more and more complex. Rich cherry flavor, touches of light cinnamon, a boozy note as it warms, with a really huge fruit profile. Unstoppable with its flavor, this was just literally outstanding in nearly every way possible. As it comes up near room temperature the subtle notes of warm brown sugar mixes with a tart, sour cherry to produce such a wonderfully complex flavor I am beside myself. Fades out slowly to just a touch of dry sour notes as it finishes.

Feel 5 - Again perfect. From the first frothy sips I took that tickled the nose from the copious head of foam on top, to the last, well carbonated drops that roll across the tongue letting you pull every last drop of flavor from this perfect, perfect beverage.

Drinkability 5 - Outstanding, this is 8%, not possible. I was getting through this faster then most IPA's and it never really felt like it caught up with me at all. Outstanding in every possible way. I was beyond impressed here, I was mesmerized.

Overall how are people not freaking over this one? One of the best examples of the style I have ever had, easily top 3 fruit beers I have ever had. This was just outstanding. If it were bottled I would have a cellar full of it. Just that good and worth every single sip. Please go get this one, you will not regret it.

4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

Thanks to a very generous BA in Pennsylvania for sending me growler.

A: The pour is a dark red color with some light haziness. The head is fluffy and off-white.

S: Tons of sweet and mildly tart pie cherries in the nose. A hint of chocolate, surprisingly, and a nice spiced character.

T: The flavor is so nearly like New Glarus Wisconsin Belgian Red, but not as cloying. Again, tons of dark cherries that have a nice sweet flavor with hints of tartness. A nice nutmeg and all-spice flavor that is different, but enjoyable.

M: The body is medium with perhaps a slight tendency toward syrup due to the low carbonation.

D: Overall, I really enjoyed this. Like I said, similar to the Wisconsin Belgian Red but easier to drink.

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Thanks for this one, Barry. Phoenix Kriek pours a turbid cherry red, the color of black cherry skins. A tall two finger head rises and quickly settles to a thin blanket, which shows nice retention. The aroma is bursting with fresh, ripe cherries. There's not much actual beer character to this one, it's all fruit with a hint of spice (allspice and nutmeg, perhaps). The taste follows suit; the cherry character is massive and completely overwhelms any trace of malt, but it exhibits plenty of depth in itself. It's sweet, but not overly - the finish dries the palate slightly, and there's a light tartness, making this easy to quaff. Delicious stuff, it's reminiscent of Belgian Red from New Glarus, but not nearly as syrupy sweet.

4.03/5  rDev -6.7%

Thanks Alex for busting out this growler over the weekend.
Review transcribed from notes.

Deep reddish brown, hazed with suspended granular yeast sediment. The head fizzled off fast, leaving a seemingly still, glassy surface. Looked and smelled like cherry juice. The empty glass had a little funk to it, but the beer itself was straight up cherry juice.

Flavor is all cherry too, not especially complex and a bit one dimensional. A mild tartness, maybe 2.5/10 on the sour scale. Dry in the end, preceded by some natural sweetness from the fruit. Slight hint of alcohol at room temperature, but no evidence when cold. Feel was a bit thin and juice-like, needed more carbonation. Pretty easy to drink, and overall refreshing. More of a cherry beer than Kriek.

4.68/5  rDev +8.3%

On tap at the brewpub. Served in a goblet.

Pours a deep, clear ruby color with a thin, off-white (with a purplish tint) head. Retains well around the edges of the goblet and leaves some thin wisps of foam across the top that leaves some nice swathes of lace that slide down the sides. The aroma is dominant tones of both candied and tart cherries, vanilla and caramel sweetness, and a light sense of heat.

The taste is more vanilla and cinnamon notes up front that meld into a fantastic blast of cherry tartness and is then followed by a tingling hop bitterness. Finishes with a sticky mix of hops and tart bitterness. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a nice creamy feel. There is a slight presence of heat but it's not really stinging in anyway, just adding a slight beef to the body.

One of my favorite seasonals at the SGB, this is more reminiscent of a New Glarus Fruit beer than a traditional sour Kriek. That's OK though, as it makes the beer much more accessible and drinkable while still being completely awesome. Get up there and try this stuff now!

4.4/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to both BAs who went out their way to try to get this to me - wish the Selin's Grove staff had been a little more informed, as it greatly would have reduced the confusion. Served in a FoBAB mini-pint glass.

A - Pours with a half-finger of pink-tinged foam, that eventually settles to a thin collar and a touch of haze. Not a ton in the way of lacing. The body is cherry-red color with some orange-brown notes as well. Hazy, but not totally opaque, with some slow-moving bubbles in there.

S - Cherry juice. That's pretty much it. I think there's some beer in the periphery, but this smells like straight-up pressed cherries (i.e. the unsweetened juice in the organic section - not the cough syrup-esque flavor). Thankfully not overly saccharine, and with a touch of tart bite to it.

T - Again, we've got straight-up cherries. Maybe some lightly toasted grain as well. There seems to be a bit of spice character that evokes pie, but I'm not sure if I'm just projecting here. Incredibly juice-like, but with "no sugar added" (this has been converted to alcohol by enterprising yeast).

M - Dry, tart finish - just like real fruit. Not overly sticky. Medium body with light but active carbonation. No discernible alcohol.

D - I liked this, but not quite as much as the Framboise. I had two small (8oz) glasses, and then hit up the growler again later. It never gets cloying, which is pleasant and I was shocked by the 6.5%. Feels less diabetic than Belgian Red. However, I wish Selin's Grove would do away with the "Kriek" in the title as its a real misnomer - if you're expecting sourness look elsewhere.

3.5/5  rDev -19%

4.13/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured from a growler into a pint glass. I was very excited to get this one. Carbonation is always a concern of mine when dealing with a growler, but not this time, carbonation of this beer is high high high. Beer is red in color and completely clear. The head is what and leaves a lot of lacing on the glass. Looks great.

Aroma is a little weak. The provider of the growler warned us that this one was weaker than the other one he had opened a month ago even though they were kept cold. I can detect some cherries in there though. Even diminished the aroma is good.

Beer has a medium to low body. Overall light tasting. Good cherry flavor, nice sourness overall to the beer. Some good citric qualities throughout. Drinkability is high (I could have taken down this entire growler myself) and mouthfeel is great. The carbonation helps to carry the sour notes throughout the palate. I would love to try this on draft sometime.

4.48/5  rDev +3.7%

First had: on tap at the brewpub

Easily my favorite brew from SG. Wow. They call it a kriek, but their description clearly says that it is not a lambic, but instead something closer to a Flanders sour.

Poured a deep reddish-mahogany, moderately hazy but still mostly see-through; a small layer of bubbles that quickly reduced to a ringlet. Aroma of freshly squeezed/crushed black cherries, mixed with honey and mead. Taste simply blew me away...pure, full-blown cherry pie, more sweet and pulpy than tart, and I could swear I even tasted the doughy crust; afterthoughts of nutmeg. Smooth mouthfeel, on the heavier side of medium bodied, chewy, and really just awesome from start to finish.

4.43/5  rDev +2.5%

From 08/26/10 notes. Had at a local DC tasting.

a - Pours a murky, dark red color with 1 inch of white head and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of tart cherries and dark fruits, as well as spices.

t - Tastes of sweet cherries, tart dark fruits, spices, and fruity malts. Not too sweet or sour.

m - Medium body and low carbonation, very easy to drink.

d - I thought this was a very good fruit beer; it reminded me of Belgian Red a lot. Lots of sweet and tart cherries and dark fruits, I would love to get some more of this. Insanely easy to drink as well.

3.9/5  rDev -9.7%

Named Phoenix Kriek

Growler sampled approximately 1 week after being filled, May 2007
Pours with an opaque, quite hazy, dark purple, yet still cherry red color. The pour from the growler easily summons forth a three-finger thick, pinkish, light tan colored head. The aroma is quite cherry driven; chewy-cherry skin notes lend a fullness to the dominant sweet cherry candy-like nose. The aroma really reminds me of the cherry character in a well made batch of cherry ice-cream. My guess is that these are not sour cherries, but they still smell fairly enticing in this beer.

The beer is lightly sweet up front, but thankfully not sticky or syrup-like in texture or sweetness. There is a nice level of tartness here, though not to the level of a Lambic. The chewy cherry skin character from the aroma is in the flavor, though not quite as prominent as in the nose. There seems to be a hint of plastic phenolics character that is lying just underneath the surface here; it is just barely noticeable though. This beer is very cherry focused, somewhat similar (perhaps even inspired by) to New Glarus Belgian Red, though I don’t think it is quite as sweet, nor as tannic & chewy as that beer. The beer is fairly well carbonated, which adds a touch of zesty prickly character. This helps to lighten the thick chewy character a bit. I do like that this beer is fairly thick & rich; it makes it sort of like a dessert, but not necessarily a sweet one.

This is quite a nice beer, I would love to see this fermented more towards the Lambic side of the spectrum, but that would ruin the hearty desert quality of this beer.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I just happened to be going to the Brewpub when they announced that this years batch was going on. Lucky me!! Served on-tap into a goblet.

A - Pours ruby red with a thick, creamy, one finger tall pink head leaving spotty lacing down the glass.

S - The aroma is very sweet. Smells of tart cherries, candied sugar, light spice, and some pie crust dryness toward the end. A bit dull at first but once it warmed up there is no doubt what is in this one.

T - Starts off with a nice dose of candied sweetness quickly being enveloped by the tart cherries that permeate every inch of this beer. Some vanilla, light spice, and graham cracker crust lend a bit of contrast but this one really is all about the cherries. Finish is a mix of dryness and candied sugar sweetness, lingering for some time.

M - Medium body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Sweet, dry, feel with plenty of lingering sweetness in the finish.

O - This truly is one of the best desert beers out there. It has so much rich flavor but it never gets to the point of being overwhelming. Easily one of the best fruit beers.

4.65/5  rDev +7.6%

Growler into multiple wine glasses shared with my wife. This brew appears a perfectly polished clear, deep ruby red color with a fizzy creamy pink tinted head that quickly dissolves to nothing. A light swirl releases some bubbles but not enough to recharge the head. A faint amount of tiny spotty lace clings to the glass.

The aroma of this brew is a deep combination of mixed types of cherries. A nice mixture of sweet, tart and earthy cherry scents are leaning towards the pitted aspect and overly ripe in nature. The collective smell of the cherries easily makes its way into medicinal territory. As the brew warms up, the solid cherry aroma gives way to some subtle spices like cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg and faint clove.

The taste is deep cherry flavoring that covers the full spectrum of what you would experience while sitting and eating a bowl of fresh cherries. Some tastes are sweet, some tangy and tart others are deep and earthy to almost herbal. There is a pleasant spiced aspect to this brew that keeps it from being just an alcohol cherry juice brew. The spices come across to me like nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla and clove. An earthy flavor and minor herbal bitterness contrasts the tartness and sweetness of the cherry flavor keeping everything in a pleasant balance. With so much cherry flavoring, it is hard for this brew not to come off medicinal in nature. It does at times remind me of luden's cough drops, however it is strikingly more enjoyable.

This brew is slightly heavier than medium bodied with a light amount of carbonation. On tap this brew is lightly carbonated and as it transpires to the growler gets even lighter with the carb level. I dont know if I want to fault this brew for being too lightly carbonated as I think the light carbonation gives a much thicker feel that is very much reminiscent of the whole eating cherries experience that I get while I am drinking this. The alcohol is masterfully hidden here. I don't really have a sweet tooth for beers and I am not a huge fan of fruited beers, but there is just something about the Selinsgrove offerings that have me hooked. I absolutely hate paying $30 for a growler fill but honestly, after a glass of this I remember why I do it. At times, a couple of sniffs and sips suggest belgian yeast but it doesn't directly come off like that. I wish I knew Heather and Steve's secret for pulling this one off.

Phoenix Kriek from Selin's Grove Brewing Company