Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Phoenix Kriek - Selin's Grove Brewing Company

Phoenix KriekPhoenix Kriek

Selin's Grove Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: Sammy on 05-06-2007

4.13/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

The couple really nailed this one. Reddish with lace and a whisp of head. Perfect sour cherry taste, amazing, as good or better than a Belgian kriek. Real cherry with krieks. Medium plus mouhfeel, and a bit of above average carbonation which doesn't detract. Would like another glass in a month. Very organic tasting like real fruit was squeezed in just last night.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a beautiful, bright ruby red with a nice light pink head and good amounts of lacing.

S: Strong cherries. Good amount of sweetness with a bit of sourness in there, more likely from the cherries than from any critters. A bit of an earthiness to it as well.

T: Strong cherries and a bit of earthiness. Hints of some Christmas-type spices, but not too much. Perhaps a touch of cinnamon.

M: Medium body with good carbonation. Sweet without being too cloying. Had no idea this was 8% until I looked.

D: Very, very drinkable all around. Definitely rivals the fruit beers of New Glarus, and is near the top of my list. With that said, I think Selin's Framboise is better.

3.75/5  rDev -13.4%

Bottle courtesy of Miver (handbottle): Poured a deep clear reddish color ale with some limited carbonation (due to the handbottling). Aroma of sour cheery with some light cough syrup notes. Taste is a nice mix between some sour cherry with some notes of oak and tart and some limited sweetness. I was slightly disappointed by the cough syrup notes that I could pick-up through the tasting. Nice body with no apparent alcohol. Well done but I could do without the cough syrup. Makes me want to take a road trip and taste the beer on site.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Thanks for this one, Barry. Phoenix Kriek pours a turbid cherry red, the color of black cherry skins. A tall two finger head rises and quickly settles to a thin blanket, which shows nice retention. The aroma is bursting with fresh, ripe cherries. There's not much actual beer character to this one, it's all fruit with a hint of spice (allspice and nutmeg, perhaps). The taste follows suit; the cherry character is massive and completely overwhelms any trace of malt, but it exhibits plenty of depth in itself. It's sweet, but not overly - the finish dries the palate slightly, and there's a light tartness, making this easy to quaff. Delicious stuff, it's reminiscent of Belgian Red from New Glarus, but not nearly as syrupy sweet.

4.02/5  rDev -7.2%

Thanks Alex for busting out this growler over the weekend.
Review transcribed from notes.

Deep reddish brown, hazed with suspended granular yeast sediment. The head fizzled off fast, leaving a seemingly still, glassy surface. Looked and smelled like cherry juice. The empty glass had a little funk to it, but the beer itself was straight up cherry juice.

Flavor is all cherry too, not especially complex and a bit one dimensional. A mild tartness, maybe 2.5/10 on the sour scale. Dry in the end, preceded by some natural sweetness from the fruit. Slight hint of alcohol at room temperature, but no evidence when cold. Feel was a bit thin and juice-like, needed more carbonation. Pretty easy to drink, and overall refreshing. More of a cherry beer than Kriek.

4.8/5  rDev +10.9%

I was seriously bowled over with joy to be able to land this one. It first crossed my radar I want to say about a month ago and I knew this was going to be a hard pull for me. Whenever something is draft or growler only it lands a bit of difficulty, but not to be deterred, the wonderful Avalon came through for me again. This growler was kept cold until 08/25/2009 when I had the time to fully enjoy it. Poured into multiple pint glasses, it was all but destroyed last night saving for one pint I am saving for my Mother in law as she is a big fan of the style.
Appearance 5 - Perfect. End of story. Ruby red tinted brown in color with an enormous head of pinkish foam that came up to at least three inches over the top of the glass. Just an enormously good pour. The head settled down in a few minutes but it never really got much lower then about an inch and a half, and that was even pushing it, this thing was seriously a beast. Tons of sticky lace coating he sides and just an enormous overall look to it. To say I was impressed would again be another understatement.
Aroma 5 - Like tart cherry pie, or as close as you could get to it. Simply sublime. Rich notes of tart cherries, hints of almost currant, touches of raspberries and a nice bit of spice balanced in to it. Warming brings out a subtle sweetness that nearly knocks me out for the count.
Taste 4.5 - Such a warm and open flavor. Coating would be another great word for it. I just kept going back and back again and again, I really just could not get enough of this one.  Each sips more and more complex. Rich cherry flavor, touches of light cinnamon, a boozy note as it warms, with a really huge fruit profile. Unstoppable with its flavor, this was just literally outstanding in nearly every way possible. As it comes up near room temperature the subtle notes of warm brown sugar mixes with a tart, sour cherry to produce such a wonderfully complex flavor I am beside myself. Fades out slowly to just a touch of dry sour notes as it finishes.
Feel 5 - Again perfect. From the first frothy sips I took that tickled the nose from the copious head of foam on top, to the last, well carbonated drops that roll across the tongue letting you pull every last drop of flavor from this perfect, perfect beverage.
Drinkability 5 - Outstanding, this is 8%, not possible. I was getting through this faster then most IPA's and it never really felt like it caught up with me at all. Outstanding in every possible way. I was beyond impressed here, I was mesmerized.
Overall how are people not freaking over this one? One of the best examples of the style I have ever had, easily top 3 fruit beers I have ever had. This was just outstanding. If it were bottled I would have a cellar full of it. Just that good and worth every single sip. Please go get this one, you will not regret it.

4.3/5  rDev -0.7%

Thanks to a very generous BA in Pennsylvania for sending me growler.

A: The pour is a dark red color with some light haziness. The head is fluffy and off-white.

S: Tons of sweet and mildly tart pie cherries in the nose. A hint of chocolate, surprisingly, and a nice spiced character.

T: The flavor is so nearly like New Glarus Wisconsin Belgian Red, but not as cloying. Again, tons of dark cherries that have a nice sweet flavor with hints of tartness. A nice nutmeg and all-spice flavor that is different, but enjoyable.

M: The body is medium with perhaps a slight tendency toward syrup due to the low carbonation.

D: Overall, I really enjoyed this. Like I said, similar to the Wisconsin Belgian Red but easier to drink.

4.65/5  rDev +7.4%

On tap at the brewpub. Served in a goblet.

Pours a deep, clear ruby color with a thin, off-white (with a purplish tint) head. Retains well around the edges of the goblet and leaves some thin wisps of foam across the top that leaves some nice swathes of lace that slide down the sides. The aroma is dominant tones of both candied and tart cherries, vanilla and caramel sweetness, and a light sense of heat.

The taste is more vanilla and cinnamon notes up front that meld into a fantastic blast of cherry tartness and is then followed by a tingling hop bitterness. Finishes with a sticky mix of hops and tart bitterness. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a nice creamy feel. There is a slight presence of heat but it's not really stinging in anyway, just adding a slight beef to the body.

One of my favorite seasonals at the SGB, this is more reminiscent of a New Glarus Fruit beer than a traditional sour Kriek. That's OK though, as it makes the beer much more accessible and drinkable while still being completely awesome. Get up there and try this stuff now!

4.47/5  rDev +3.2%

First had: on tap at the brewpub

Easily my favorite brew from SG. Wow. They call it a kriek, but their description clearly says that it is not a lambic, but instead something closer to a Flanders sour.

Poured a deep reddish-mahogany, moderately hazy but still mostly see-through; a small layer of bubbles that quickly reduced to a ringlet. Aroma of freshly squeezed/crushed black cherries, mixed with honey and mead. Taste simply blew me away...pure, full-blown cherry pie, more sweet and pulpy than tart, and I could swear I even tasted the doughy crust; afterthoughts of nutmeg. Smooth mouthfeel, on the heavier side of medium bodied, chewy, and really just awesome from start to finish.

4.45/5  rDev +2.8%

From 08/26/10 notes. Had at a local DC tasting.

a - Pours a murky, dark red color with 1 inch of white head and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of tart cherries and dark fruits, as well as spices.

t - Tastes of sweet cherries, tart dark fruits, spices, and fruity malts. Not too sweet or sour.

m - Medium body and low carbonation, very easy to drink.

d - I thought this was a very good fruit beer; it reminded me of Belgian Red a lot. Lots of sweet and tart cherries and dark fruits, I would love to get some more of this. Insanely easy to drink as well.

4.39/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to both BAs who went out their way to try to get this to me - wish the Selin's Grove staff had been a little more informed, as it greatly would have reduced the confusion. Served in a FoBAB mini-pint glass.

A - Pours with a half-finger of pink-tinged foam, that eventually settles to a thin collar and a touch of haze. Not a ton in the way of lacing. The body is cherry-red color with some orange-brown notes as well. Hazy, but not totally opaque, with some slow-moving bubbles in there.

S - Cherry juice. That's pretty much it. I think there's some beer in the periphery, but this smells like straight-up pressed cherries (i.e. the unsweetened juice in the organic section - not the cough syrup-esque flavor). Thankfully not overly saccharine, and with a touch of tart bite to it.

T - Again, we've got straight-up cherries. Maybe some lightly toasted grain as well. There seems to be a bit of spice character that evokes pie, but I'm not sure if I'm just projecting here. Incredibly juice-like, but with "no sugar added" (this has been converted to alcohol by enterprising yeast).

M - Dry, tart finish - just like real fruit. Not overly sticky. Medium body with light but active carbonation. No discernible alcohol.

D - I liked this, but not quite as much as the Framboise. I had two small (8oz) glasses, and then hit up the growler again later. It never gets cloying, which is pleasant and I was shocked by the 6.5%. Feels less diabetic than Belgian Red. However, I wish Selin's Grove would do away with the "Kriek" in the title as its a real misnomer - if you're expecting sourness look elsewhere.

4.39/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I just happened to be going to the Brewpub when they announced that this years batch was going on. Lucky me!! Served on-tap into a goblet.

A - Pours ruby red with a thick, creamy, one finger tall pink head leaving spotty lacing down the glass.

S - The aroma is very sweet. Smells of tart cherries, candied sugar, light spice, and some pie crust dryness toward the end. A bit dull at first but once it warmed up there is no doubt what is in this one.

T - Starts off with a nice dose of candied sweetness quickly being enveloped by the tart cherries that permeate every inch of this beer. Some vanilla, light spice, and graham cracker crust lend a bit of contrast but this one really is all about the cherries. Finish is a mix of dryness and candied sugar sweetness, lingering for some time.

M - Medium body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Sweet, dry, feel with plenty of lingering sweetness in the finish.

O - This truly is one of the best desert beers out there. It has so much rich flavor but it never gets to the point of being overwhelming. Easily one of the best fruit beers.

4.13/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured from a growler into a pint glass. I was very excited to get this one. Carbonation is always a concern of mine when dealing with a growler, but not this time, carbonation of this beer is high high high. Beer is red in color and completely clear. The head is what and leaves a lot of lacing on the glass. Looks great.

Aroma is a little weak. The provider of the growler warned us that this one was weaker than the other one he had opened a month ago even though they were kept cold. I can detect some cherries in there though. Even diminished the aroma is good.

Beer has a medium to low body. Overall light tasting. Good cherry flavor, nice sourness overall to the beer. Some good citric qualities throughout. Drinkability is high (I could have taken down this entire growler myself) and mouthfeel is great. The carbonation helps to carry the sour notes throughout the palate. I would love to try this on draft sometime.

4.47/5  rDev +3.2%

Big thanks to stakem for sending this one out!

Poured into LA tulip. Glad I found out this one isn't a kreik because it isn't brewed with wild yeast. So rating this as a fruit beer.

Pours about a finger of light pink hued khaki head. Fades to a thick ring. Doesn't leave hardly any lace. Color is a hazed dark cherry red with a slight brown hue to it.

Aroma: Cherries and then some. There is a nice oak flavor here that adds a layer I really enjoy. The cherries are mellow and not tart/sour. Very clean and earthy. Mainly just a lot of fruits, but very well done.

Taste: Reminds me a bit of WI Belgian Red. The cherries are slightly tart here, but barely. Very fresh and earthy. Has some light yeast flavors. It does have some spice flavors that I didn't pick up in the nose which add a nice layer to the cherries. Not too sour or tart, but sweet in a good way.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and slightly tart. Pretty refreshing feel to it. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends with a cherry candy flavored aftertaste, slightly dry but clean.

Overall, I am very impressed with this one. I am already getting towards the end of my second glass and not getting sick of it. Very drinkable. One of the best fruit beers I have had. I am very glad I got to try this one.

4.62/5  rDev +6.7%

Growler into multiple wine glasses shared with my wife. This brew appears a perfectly polished clear, deep ruby red color with a fizzy creamy pink tinted head that quickly dissolves to nothing. A light swirl releases some bubbles but not enough to recharge the head. A faint amount of tiny spotty lace clings to the glass.

The aroma of this brew is a deep combination of mixed types of cherries. A nice mixture of sweet, tart and earthy cherry scents are leaning towards the pitted aspect and overly ripe in nature. The collective smell of the cherries easily makes its way into medicinal territory. As the brew warms up, the solid cherry aroma gives way to some subtle spices like cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg and faint clove.

The taste is deep cherry flavoring that covers the full spectrum of what you would experience while sitting and eating a bowl of fresh cherries. Some tastes are sweet, some tangy and tart others are deep and earthy to almost herbal. There is a pleasant spiced aspect to this brew that keeps it from being just an alcohol cherry juice brew. The spices come across to me like nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla and clove. An earthy flavor and minor herbal bitterness contrasts the tartness and sweetness of the cherry flavor keeping everything in a pleasant balance. With so much cherry flavoring, it is hard for this brew not to come off medicinal in nature. It does at times remind me of luden's cough drops, however it is strikingly more enjoyable.

This brew is slightly heavier than medium bodied with a light amount of carbonation. On tap this brew is lightly carbonated and as it transpires to the growler gets even lighter with the carb level. I dont know if I want to fault this brew for being too lightly carbonated as I think the light carbonation gives a much thicker feel that is very much reminiscent of the whole eating cherries experience that I get while I am drinking this. The alcohol is masterfully hidden here. I don't really have a sweet tooth for beers and I am not a huge fan of fruited beers, but there is just something about the Selinsgrove offerings that have me hooked. I absolutely hate paying $30 for a growler fill but honestly, after a glass of this I remember why I do it. At times, a couple of sniffs and sips suggest belgian yeast but it doesn't directly come off like that. I wish I knew Heather and Steve's secret for pulling this one off.

4.53/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Growler shared by ygtbsm94. Thanks Brad!

A: Ruby hued with a gigantic tan head that coats the glass in lacing.

S: The aroma is more subtle than the taste. Scents include cherries, cherries, cherries with hints of cherry pie and cherries. Oh, yeah I almost forgot...cherries. It's really that simple.

T: Cherries, fresh from the tree. The beer is sweet but not cloying. This is without a doubt my favorite fruit beer that isn't sour. It's very drinkable and enjoyable. Other beers of this ilk often quickly become cloying and lose their appeal. Not the case with this well-crafted gem.

M: Smooth and tasty. Great carbonation level, especially from a growler.

D: Surprisingly easy to drink, as the beer has considerable sweetness. One would think the beer would become cloying, but it's just so tasty I keep going back for more.

3.9/5  rDev -9.9%

Named Phoenix Kriek

Growler sampled approximately 1 week after being filled, May 2007
Pours with an opaque, quite hazy, dark purple, yet still cherry red color. The pour from the growler easily summons forth a three-finger thick, pinkish, light tan colored head. The aroma is quite cherry driven; chewy-cherry skin notes lend a fullness to the dominant sweet cherry candy-like nose. The aroma really reminds me of the cherry character in a well made batch of cherry ice-cream. My guess is that these are not sour cherries, but they still smell fairly enticing in this beer.

The beer is lightly sweet up front, but thankfully not sticky or syrup-like in texture or sweetness. There is a nice level of tartness here, though not to the level of a Lambic. The chewy cherry skin character from the aroma is in the flavor, though not quite as prominent as in the nose. There seems to be a hint of plastic phenolics character that is lying just underneath the surface here; it is just barely noticeable though. This beer is very cherry focused, somewhat similar (perhaps even inspired by) to New Glarus Belgian Red, though I don’t think it is quite as sweet, nor as tannic & chewy as that beer. The beer is fairly well carbonated, which adds a touch of zesty prickly character. This helps to lighten the thick chewy character a bit. I do like that this beer is fairly thick & rich; it makes it sort of like a dessert, but not necessarily a sweet one.

This is quite a nice beer, I would love to see this fermented more towards the Lambic side of the spectrum, but that would ruin the hearty desert quality of this beer.

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

Hazy rose color with tiny CO2 streams slowly rising to the top. A 1 finger, creamy head with pink tones fades into a mild cap. Scattered spots of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of tart cherries, cranberries, citrusy, with notes of melons, cider, and spice.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas with a tart cherry standing out among the mix.
Mouthfeel is sticky, medium bodied, sweet tart, and apple cider sticking to the lips with a lingering on the middle of the tongue.

4.32/5  rDev -0.2%

A growler filled last Sunday, 19-Jun. Happy father's day indeed, seeing this on tap at the brewpub.

A: The ale looks like a glass of black cherry juice, dark with a distinct reddish hue. The darkness leaves the ale opaque. A half finger of white head rustled up on pour but quickly disappeared.

S: Cherries, cherries and more cherries. Sweet with a subtle natural variation, the ale sings. Very sweet but not cloying. An amazing nose, sweet and firm but all cherry and sugars.

T: Each sip is cherry pie, the sweet cherries and crusty bread. The cherries are the centerpiece, spicy with a few stray sour flavors. Biscuit provides the crusty side, paling against the cherries though. Spices, some cinnamon and brown sugar and vanilla, add to the festivities. Drying at times, the finish leaves juicy cherry remnants to marinate in my mouth.

M: The spicy base and cherries are nice. My only complaint is that the sweetness is very filling, making this growler a challenge. Don't get me wrong, I'm up for it. A treat and well worth the higher price tag.

4.52/5  rDev +4.4%

Tasting with Agent Zero.

Growler into my Narke tulip.

The beer pours a dark plum/marroon, with a light tope head that doesn't raise much, not a ton going on here...The aroma is super sweet, lots of sweet cherries that have a candy/medicinal quality. Light tartness. Its pretty nice, could use a little more tartness to even it out better...The taste is sweet light tart but good, after awhile a little too sweet, its almost sticky like candy. Again with a litlte more tartness this would be great...The feel is really nice, almost stickyness in the mouth....It starts out easy to drink, but after a glass overwhelmed by sweetness. Good thing I split this with three people. This is good for a glass but thats it.

Overall, this is a really good, a total fruit beer not much of a lambic quality at all. Very similar to NG Belgian Red. I would recommend this for any fruit beer fans.

4.18/5  rDev -3.5%

orangesol sent me a growler of this. Thank you, Nate.

Pouring a dark reddish mahogany with nice reddish highlights. There's a dense, tan head with great retention and nice lacing. The nose has an outstanding fruit character. Rich, ripe tart cherries with a definite baking spice character (allspice or nutmeg?) . This is a wonderful expression of pure fruit.
The palate opens with a blend of sweetness and tartness, with a ton of fruit flavor. Ripe, tart cherries with a full berry palate. There's a definite cherry skin like chewy tannin character. Along with the tannins, there's a touch of allspice on the finish. Not as sweet as the New Glarus Belgian Red, this has a moderate sweetness without the intense puree character that the BR has. A touch sweet on the finish, this has some tartness as well. Medium-light in body with soft carbonation, I really like the mouthfeel. Excellent stuff, I can see drinking a ton of this. Thank you again, Nate!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Growler shared with me by Koopa at Captain Lawrence. Thanks Dennis!

A-pours a slightly hazed amber color with a white head that has hues of orange.

S-the nose is light, faint sweet cherry with some earthy notes, the sourness is light but present and enjoyable.

T-the sweet fruit is quite tasty and very enjoyable, sourness is again light but apparent and nicely integrated. The tartness of the cherry holds up in the back giving a great soft fruit balance.

M-smooth and crisp with a medium to full body that feels quite nice in the mouth. hint of driness in the finish.

D-this is a great fruit beer, it is straight forward ripe fruit balanced by a light tartness. very tasty and very well done. probably the best beer i sampled at CL and that includes the Duck Duck Gooze.

3.83/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This beer is an extremely sweet version of a kriek. No tartness or sourness. Loaded with sweet cherry flavor that does not taste fake, it tastes very authentic. Not much else complexity or other flavors, just a huge cherry fruit beer, but it does that pretty well. A medium bodied beer with low carbonation levels. It is a sipper, because it is pretty sweet. Still enjoyable and glad that I finally got to try this beer. It has been on my wants list for at least 3 years or longer. This is my first beer from Selin's Grove and look forward to visiting them this summer!

4.2/5  rDev -3%

Thanks to jrallen34 for hooking me up with this.

A - Pours a deep ruby red/maroon with a small head that left some spots on it. Head receded into a nice ring. Nice looking beer.

S - Deep cherry smell on this and a little bit of wood. Smells very sweet, almost like a dessert.

T - This is a very impressive tasting beer. Huge deep cherry flavor, I almost get notes of chocolate, as in chocolate covered cherries. It's quite a bit like New Glarus WBR. Not tart at all, very candy sweet.

M - Lighter side of medium bodied, very sticky. Goes down smoothly.

D - Pretty good, for something so sweet I was able to do a couple glasses out of the growler. Good stuff, great dessert beer, and a nice drinker regularly as well.

4.38/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hand bottle from a leaky growler courtesy of the awesome Steasy66. Cheers, bruh!

Appearance. Pours a murky, rusty red-amber. Topped with an absolutely massive, billowy khaki head that takes a good while to settle.

Smell. Dark juicy cherry, faint bit of dusty yeast reminiscent of NG. Cherries smell pretty real and ripe.

Taste. Very intense cherry juice, and a ton of it. Juicy and sour, just the right amount of sweetness that the fruit would have. There's a hint of cinnamon and almond, but this one is all about the cherry. No booze detected, dangerous.

Mouthfeel. Medium body, strong carbonation.

Overall. Wow, stellar fruit beer. Always seems weird to call some north american cherry beer a kriek, but when it's this tasty who the fuck cares! Killin' it, Ryan.

Phoenix Kriek from Selin's Grove Brewing Company