Phoenix Kriek - Selin's Grove Brewing Company

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: Sammy on 05-06-2007

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
4.65/5  rDev +7.4%

Pours a deep ruby color with about one finger of white fluffy head that didn't last long.

The scent is dominant of sweet cherries, some notes of sweet sugar.

The taste is of sweet cherries at first but then turns to tart as it finishes. There is also a notable presence of biscuity malt and vanilla that makes this taste like cherry pie.

Medium body, smooth and a little sticky, moderate carbonation.

This was a delicious beer, full of flavor and well balanced. I would definitely go for this again.

4.68/5  rDev +8.1%

Huge thanks to KRAMER17801 for getting this one for me.

64 oz. growler poured into my Selin's Grove goblet.

I've heard a lot of good things about this brew. If I'm drinking a bloody colored beer, I might as well watch a bloody movie. Planet Terror it is.

Pours a blood-ruby hue with a fluffy half finger off-white head that has a hint of pink which dies down to a paper thin layer that lasts throughout. Very nice lacing left on the sides, almost a wall of foam remains clinging to the glass. Sour cherry and cherry cobbler in the nose, not overpowering by any means which makes this very pleasant to sniff. A fair amount of malt and woody aromas as well. Taste blows me away. First sip reminds me so much of my grandma's cherry pie. Fresh cherries on the tongue with a buttery pie crust as well. Much sweeter flavor than the nose leads you to believe, I love it. Aftertaste has a bit of vanilla and honey which pairs up perfectly with the cherries. This has a bit more thickness than the New Glarus Belgian Red with a creamy medium body. Carbonation is pretty smooth, very fitting for this beer. Is this really 8%? Good lord I know a few ladies who would melt over this treat. Hmm, I need to make a few phone calls ;) Selin's Grove keeps pumping out excellent beers, keep it up! I've been down there once, and I definitely need to make it there again...SOON!

edit: I can't stop licking my lips!!

4.62/5  rDev +6.7%

Growler thanks to MasterSki poured into a red wine glass. Thanks again, Alex!

A-Pours a muddled dark pink rose with subtle eggshell colored head.

S-Alex hit it right: Straight up cherry juice, though I picked up hints of apple as well as some clove.

T-Wow! Such a unique tart cherry flavor that overpowers just about any other aspect of the beer. However, I was really getting a ton of biscuit and spice and felt like I was drinking pureed cherry pie. Just plain awesome.

M-Relatively full-bodied, mild carbonation, but I was fine with that from the growler. This left a buttery slick finish on my tongue, which only accentuated my impression of liquid cherry pie.

O-Well, this is by no means a kriek, but there is some subtle sourness and that sounds so much better than "cherry beer." This was easily one of the best fruit beers I've had and would drink a whole growler of this easily.

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

Served in a goblet. Poured a clear rich ruby red color with pink hues, thin off-white head with good lacing. Smells of cinnamon and other spices, vanilla, cherries, and slight grassy hop notes. Tastes much like it smells, cinnamon and sugar up front with a solid tart cherry backbone, and an ever so slight hoppy finish that comes out more as it warms up. Medium in body with good carbonation, really tart with some spices thrown in. Another fantastic beer from Selins Grove, though I don't think I would want more than 1 in a sitting.

4.05/5  rDev -6.5%

Thanks to my buddy Dave for sharing this growler. Poured into my ccb tulip.

A: Pours a very dark almost blood red color. A nice finger of fluffy slightly pink head appears then fades to a thin rim. Leaves some sticky lace.

A: Sweet and tart cherries all the way with hints of raspberries, graham crackers, and strawberries. Really just like a can of cherry pie filling.

T: Cherry explosion in my mouth! Sweet syrupy cherry juice, with notes of citrus hops, raspberries, and sweet malts. The brew finishes tart and dry.

M: Medium body, good amount of carbonation.

D and overall impression: drinkability is a touch lower due to the overpowering sweetness, but I could have a couple of glasses. Overall this is a soild brew, and one I wouldn't mind having as a dessert beer. Skal.

4.03/5  rDev -6.9%

Nice ruby red appearance with an off white head...excellent lacing. Sour cherry taste with a light spice. Mild drying in the mouth with a medium feel. This is very drinkable for the style. Very tasty but I must say that I prefer WI Belgian Red if I had to choose based on the style.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

When I saw that this was on tap recently and I knew that my wife was going to be passing through Selinsgrove to visit I a friend, I had to get a growler. Luckily she was down with the idea. The growler was filled Sunday afternoon and I first sampled this beer that evening.

Upon opening the growler I was greeted with a huge pop! These swing top growlers really work great.

The beer poured a dense, deep red color into my tulip glass with a nice pink frothy head. There is some really thick lacing down the sides of the glass and it, along with the head lasted awhile.

The nose this fine beer gives you a fresh rush of tart cherries that is very pleasing to the nose and will be even more pleasing to the taste buds. The taste is more of the same. Nice big fresh cherries that just lingers in the mouth and leaves a sweet and sour taste on my tongue that make you want more. There are also some citrus and peppery notes in this beer as well. Like northyorksammy mentioned in his review, this beer does have an organic taste to it which would fit the Selins Grove profile as they have a few organic beers that are really tastey. I am sad to report that my growler is almost empty but we will be back for more.

4.22/5  rDev -2.5%

I think when Selins Grove uses the word Kriek they meant the Dutch definition for a specific cherry, not necessarily the sour cherry lambic. This is not a sour Kriek, but is accurately described as a fruit beer. To really dumb it down, its like a sweet fermented cherry juice.

The appearance is a beautiful ruby red with a dark pink fluffy head. Not much clarity, but a beautiful color non the less.

The smell is of the sweetest cherries with a small hint of vinegar tartness. It has lots of sweetness in it that starts the salivating. Just a great tart cherry smell that reminds me of a cherry jam or jelly.

Thankfully the taste is not as overbearingly sweet as I imagined it to be. It has a great cherry jam flavor, no artificial flavors here at all. Not very complex, but for a fruit beer it is crafted beautifully. Towards the end of the growler I was getting some syrup and sugary notes, but nothing overbearing.

The beer has a great gravity and great carbonation with it. Overall a treat. A great dessert beer if there ever was one.

4.74/5  rDev +9.5%

Another ridiculous growler shared by MasterSki!

Pours a ruby red with a very, light pink head and ample lacing.

The smell is like the inside of a Hostess Cherry Pie. Very much more sweet/tart than sour. Smells absolutely amazing! It's almost an oven-fresh, cooling on the window sill type of smell.

Wow! The taste is even better! I'm now picking up a spiciness you would get from a crumble topping on a dutch apple pie. Slight cinnamon, allspice and crunchy oats. The cherries return as the beer warms... but for awhile, I get that mixed apple/cherry cobbler medley. I've never had something quite like this! Refreshing and a tiny bit sour. Exceptional!

I went back for another pour of this as it absolutely knocked my socks off! A perfect summer beer. Thanks to Alex for another amazing, hard-to-obtain beer!

4.08/5  rDev -5.8%

Growler shared by Ray.

Beer poured out with a fair amount of carbonation. It looked a bit like an actual kriek, minus the darker head on it. The smell reminds me of a cherry cinnamon apple pie with maybe even nutmeg. Taste seemed to follow through with the aroma with a brilliant tart black cherry flavor coming though.

I enjoyed this one a lot. It was never cloyingly sweet, even after a few glasses. It's actually refreshing and has a thin mouthfeel. I find this to be head and shoulders above Belgian Red and just a bit better than Raspberry Tart.

4.4/5  rDev +1.6%

Tasted from a growler. Pours red amber with an average tan head that leaves minimal lace. Nose is tart kirsch with a hint of cinnamon, pie crust, and a slightly sour aroma. It smells almost like a fresh cherry pie. Flavor is very similar with baked cherries, cinnamon, good acidity and a nice tart and sour component. The body is medium but sticky with average carbonation and a nice long finish that is dominated by sour cherries and cinnamon spice. This beer is spectacular.

4.38/5  rDev +1.2%

Drank on Saturday at the brewpub and then again on Sunday from a growler that I took home with me. On a side note, a great beer festival at Selinsgrove on Sat. Put this on your calendar if you have never attended.

Poured from a growler into my Selinsgrove goblets.

A - Beautiful ruby/garnett red with a small head rising on top. Just looking at it you get the idea that this might be really good. Deep ruby color, just magnificent.

S/T - The natural thing to do is to compare this to the New Glarus Belgian Red. Whereas the red has a distinct cherry pie taste to me and is less tart, the Phoenix hits you with the wonderful smell and taste of cherries but a bit on the puckery side. Not sour by any means, but a little more tart and edgy than the Belg Red from NG. Just wonderful.

M - Very nice, nothing really noteworthy here. Good balance and carbonation.

D - Not something that I could drink all day long but it is an exceptional beer to have with dessert.

Selinsgrove rarely disappoints and this is an outstanding beer. I actually thought this was similar to their Framboise this year but with cherry instead of rasberry.

I can't wait for the fall and the pumpkin ale. If you are close, check out a wonderful pub that makes wonderful beers.

4.05/5  rDev -6.5%

Had this to start off a wonderful night at the Selin's Grove Brewery. Served in a 14 oz goblet.

A: Deep cherry red. No head at all when it got to me maybe just a little bit around the edges of the glass.

S: Smells strongly of fresh cherries, almost as if they had just been crushed in front of me.

T: If you didn't guess that it tasted strongly of cherries then you haven't been reading the first part of this. Cherries, cherries, cherries. It almost doesn't taste like a beer until the very end when you get just a little bit of bite on the back of your tongue. You could have told me that it was cherry juice though and I wouldn't have been surprised. Different than anything I've had before but very tasty for sure.

M: A bit syrupy. Big in your mouth though but I wasn't a huge fan of the syrup feel it had.

O: This was my first attempt at a Kriek and I was very happy. Not something that I would drink all of the time but I would definitely go back to it if I were in the mood. Highly recommended.

4.57/5  rDev +5.5%

Hand-bottle acquired via trade.

Pours an amber brown color with a small off-white head. The aroma is resplendent with ripe tart cherries. There is an elegant simplicity to this aroma, it is straightforward with no pretentiousness.

The flavor shows more tart cherries, cherry pit, and plenty of mouth-puckering sour cherries. This kinda reminds me of Cantillion Blabaer in its approach, Phoenix does for cherries what Blabaer does for blueberries, very elegant.

The palate is silky smooth, the finish is long and tart.

Its hard to believe this is an American brew and not one of the great Euros. Selins Grove has done it right. Great quaff. Try it.

4.97/5  rDev +14.8%

Growler acquired via trade with tgncc...THANKS TOM!!! Rusty penny/burnt tangerine pour with crimson highlights and a rather sizable eggshell head that left a spot or two inside the glass. Aroma begins subtle but develops significantly as it warms. Nose shows apple, cinnamon, tart cherry skin, lemon zest, and brown sugar. Dangerously drinkable and quite surprised by the 8% ABV. Lots of fruit, cherry, cinnamon spice, buttermilk biscuit, toffee, and honey. Amazing combination of sweet and sour. Tart finish. This was a FANTASTIC beer. Totally lived up to the hype. AMAZING!!!

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last