Phoenix Kriek - Selin's Grove Brewing Company

Phoenix KriekPhoenix Kriek

Selin's Grove Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: weeare138 on 06-29-2007)
3.73/5  rDev -13.5%

Bottle courtesy of Miver (handbottle): Poured a deep clear reddish color ale with some limited carbonation (due to the handbottling). Aroma of sour cheery with some light cough syrup notes. Taste is a nice mix between some sour cherry with some notes of oak and tart and some limited sweetness. I was slightly disappointed by the cough syrup notes that I could pick-up through the tasting. Nice body with no apparent alcohol. Well done but I could do without the cough syrup. Makes me want to take a road trip and taste the beer on site.

Phyl21ca, Apr 24, 2008
4.72/5  rDev +9.5%

Huge thanks to KRAMER17801 for getting this one for me.

64 oz. growler poured into my Selin's Grove goblet.

I've heard a lot of good things about this brew. If I'm drinking a bloody colored beer, I might as well watch a bloody movie. Planet Terror it is.

Pours a blood-ruby hue with a fluffy half finger off-white head that has a hint of pink which dies down to a paper thin layer that lasts throughout. Very nice lacing left on the sides, almost a wall of foam remains clinging to the glass. Sour cherry and cherry cobbler in the nose, not overpowering by any means which makes this very pleasant to sniff. A fair amount of malt and woody aromas as well. Taste blows me away. First sip reminds me so much of my grandma's cherry pie. Fresh cherries on the tongue with a buttery pie crust as well. Much sweeter flavor than the nose leads you to believe, I love it. Aftertaste has a bit of vanilla and honey which pairs up perfectly with the cherries. This has a bit more thickness than the New Glarus Belgian Red with a creamy medium body. Carbonation is pretty smooth, very fitting for this beer. Is this really 8%? Good lord I know a few ladies who would melt over this treat. Hmm, I need to make a few phone calls ;) Selin's Grove keeps pumping out excellent beers, keep it up! I've been down there once, and I definitely need to make it there again...SOON!

edit: I can't stop licking my lips!!

BeerTruth, Apr 19, 2008
4.08/5  rDev -5.3%

On tap at SGB on 4/6/08.

A - Violet/plum-colored body with thin pink ring around the rim of the glass. Minimal carbonation.

S - Tart black cherry pie filling and berry fruit with a hint of vanilla and honey. Pomegranate? Touch of alcohol as the liquid warmed.

T - Black cherry sweetness and tartness with some vanilla notes and honey sweetness. Finish is quite bitter and akin to pomegranate fruit. Flavor is sweet, tart and bitter all in one.

M - Medium body with a fairly prickly, bubbly personality. Sticky mouthfeel with a tartness that makes the mouth pucker up. Pretty long-lasting bitterness with some sweetness on the tongue.

D - Finally got to try this much talked-about brew from SGB. More complex than I had anticipated. While I prefer the Razzmerry, this is also quite nice.

ffejherb, Apr 06, 2008
4.68/5  rDev +8.6%

On tap at the brewpub. Served in a goblet.

Pours a deep, clear ruby color with a thin, off-white (with a purplish tint) head. Retains well around the edges of the goblet and leaves some thin wisps of foam across the top that leaves some nice swathes of lace that slide down the sides. The aroma is dominant tones of both candied and tart cherries, vanilla and caramel sweetness, and a light sense of heat.

The taste is more vanilla and cinnamon notes up front that meld into a fantastic blast of cherry tartness and is then followed by a tingling hop bitterness. Finishes with a sticky mix of hops and tart bitterness. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a nice creamy feel. There is a slight presence of heat but it's not really stinging in anyway, just adding a slight beef to the body.

One of my favorite seasonals at the SGB, this is more reminiscent of a New Glarus Fruit beer than a traditional sour Kriek. That's OK though, as it makes the beer much more accessible and drinkable while still being completely awesome. Get up there and try this stuff now!

Kegatron, Apr 01, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

Served in a goblet. Poured a clear rich ruby red color with pink hues, thin off-white head with good lacing. Smells of cinnamon and other spices, vanilla, cherries, and slight grassy hop notes. Tastes much like it smells, cinnamon and sugar up front with a solid tart cherry backbone, and an ever so slight hoppy finish that comes out more as it warms up. Medium in body with good carbonation, really tart with some spices thrown in. Another fantastic beer from Selins Grove, though I don't think I would want more than 1 in a sitting.

HopDerek, Mar 31, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +0.5%

Hand bottled and shared by weeare138.

In the line up of sours we had this Kriek was not very sour. It is fruity and a bit candy like. I like it though. It reminded me more of New Galaurs fruit beers that Hanssens Oude Kriek though it certainly falls in the middle.

Appearance: pour an attractive dark read color with pink edges that show through in the hue of the head as well.

Smell: Cherry candy fruity with a wood attribute and a touch of caramel.

Taste: I was getting more Jolly Rancher candy and apples, than harsh lactic sour notes. To me it is a bit on the sweet side but if I were Selin's Grove I would find that a safer route to go as well. There are other red fruits and berries and a and certainly a tart element though this is one my wife would drink next to her Lindemans.

Mouthfeel: Sugary. A bit too much so for my personal preference but it is certainly not bad. Smooth and full.

Drinkability: I believe for thew person who like there Lambic sweet, like my wife, this would be a drinkable beer. Personally I prefer them a bit more sour.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Phatz, Oct 16, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +0.5%

Served on tap at the brewpub. Arrived in a tulip glass a beautiful deep purple/red color with about two fingers of pinkish tan, fluffy foam. Aromas of dark, sour cherries, baking spices, as well as some pleasant sweet and sour notes. Tastes of tart, sour cherries and a slight hint of pepper and cinnamon. The tartness gives way to a pleasant cherry sweetness that rushes over the tongue. Somewhat full in body as well as a little crisp and dry with a mild alcohol burn. A notch or two above medium in carbonation. This is a chewy beer, and rightfully so since SGBC does not filter any of their beers. A really excellent offering.

ClockworkOrange, Jul 06, 2007
4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

Hazy rose color with tiny CO2 streams slowly rising to the top. A 1 finger, creamy head with pink tones fades into a mild cap. Scattered spots of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of tart cherries, cranberries, citrusy, with notes of melons, cider, and spice.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas with a tart cherry standing out among the mix.
Mouthfeel is sticky, medium bodied, sweet tart, and apple cider sticking to the lips with a lingering on the middle of the tongue.

weeare138, Jun 29, 2007
3.9/5  rDev -9.5%

Named Phoenix Kriek

Growler sampled approximately 1 week after being filled, May 2007
Pours with an opaque, quite hazy, dark purple, yet still cherry red color. The pour from the growler easily summons forth a three-finger thick, pinkish, light tan colored head. The aroma is quite cherry driven; chewy-cherry skin notes lend a fullness to the dominant sweet cherry candy-like nose. The aroma really reminds me of the cherry character in a well made batch of cherry ice-cream. My guess is that these are not sour cherries, but they still smell fairly enticing in this beer.

The beer is lightly sweet up front, but thankfully not sticky or syrup-like in texture or sweetness. There is a nice level of tartness here, though not to the level of a Lambic. The chewy cherry skin character from the aroma is in the flavor, though not quite as prominent as in the nose. There seems to be a hint of plastic phenolics character that is lying just underneath the surface here; it is just barely noticeable though. This beer is very cherry focused, somewhat similar (perhaps even inspired by) to New Glarus Belgian Red, though I don’t think it is quite as sweet, nor as tannic & chewy as that beer. The beer is fairly well carbonated, which adds a touch of zesty prickly character. This helps to lighten the thick chewy character a bit. I do like that this beer is fairly thick & rich; it makes it sort of like a dessert, but not necessarily a sweet one.

This is quite a nice beer, I would love to see this fermented more towards the Lambic side of the spectrum, but that would ruin the hearty desert quality of this beer.

Gueuzedude, Jun 13, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

When I saw that this was on tap recently and I knew that my wife was going to be passing through Selinsgrove to visit I a friend, I had to get a growler. Luckily she was down with the idea. The growler was filled Sunday afternoon and I first sampled this beer that evening.

Upon opening the growler I was greeted with a huge pop! These swing top growlers really work great.

The beer poured a dense, deep red color into my tulip glass with a nice pink frothy head. There is some really thick lacing down the sides of the glass and it, along with the head lasted awhile.

The nose this fine beer gives you a fresh rush of tart cherries that is very pleasing to the nose and will be even more pleasing to the taste buds. The taste is more of the same. Nice big fresh cherries that just lingers in the mouth and leaves a sweet and sour taste on my tongue that make you want more. There are also some citrus and peppery notes in this beer as well. Like northyorksammy mentioned in his review, this beer does have an organic taste to it which would fit the Selins Grove profile as they have a few organic beers that are really tastey. I am sad to report that my growler is almost empty but we will be back for more.

ggaughan, May 08, 2007
4.18/5  rDev -3%

The couple really nailed this one. Reddish with lace and a whisp of head. Perfect sour cherry taste, amazing, as good or better than a Belgian kriek. Real cherry with krieks. Medium plus mouhfeel, and a bit of above average carbonation which doesn't detract. Would like another glass in a month. Very organic tasting like real fruit was squeezed in just last night.

Sammy, May 06, 2007