Phoenix Kriek - Selin's Grove Brewing Company

Phoenix KriekPhoenix Kriek

Selin's Grove Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: weeare138 on 06-29-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
MasterSki

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to both BAs who went out their way to try to get this to me - wish the Selin's Grove staff had been a little more informed, as it greatly would have reduced the confusion. Served in a FoBAB mini-pint glass.

A - Pours with a half-finger of pink-tinged foam, that eventually settles to a thin collar and a touch of haze. Not a ton in the way of lacing. The body is cherry-red color with some orange-brown notes as well. Hazy, but not totally opaque, with some slow-moving bubbles in there.

S - Cherry juice. That's pretty much it. I think there's some beer in the periphery, but this smells like straight-up pressed cherries (i.e. the unsweetened juice in the organic section - not the cough syrup-esque flavor). Thankfully not overly saccharine, and with a touch of tart bite to it.

T - Again, we've got straight-up cherries. Maybe some lightly toasted grain as well. There seems to be a bit of spice character that evokes pie, but I'm not sure if I'm just projecting here. Incredibly juice-like, but with "no sugar added" (this has been converted to alcohol by enterprising yeast).

M - Dry, tart finish - just like real fruit. Not overly sticky. Medium body with light but active carbonation. No discernible alcohol.

D - I liked this, but not quite as much as the Framboise. I had two small (8oz) glasses, and then hit up the growler again later. It never gets cloying, which is pleasant and I was shocked by the 6.5%. Feels less diabetic than Belgian Red. However, I wish Selin's Grove would do away with the "Kriek" in the title as its a real misnomer - if you're expecting sourness look elsewhere.

07-25-2010 19:11:42 | More by MasterSki
emerge077

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

Thanks Alex for busting out this growler over the weekend.
Review transcribed from notes.

Deep reddish brown, hazed with suspended granular yeast sediment. The head fizzled off fast, leaving a seemingly still, glassy surface. Looked and smelled like cherry juice. The empty glass had a little funk to it, but the beer itself was straight up cherry juice.

Flavor is all cherry too, not especially complex and a bit one dimensional. A mild tartness, maybe 2.5/10 on the sour scale. Dry in the end, preceded by some natural sweetness from the fruit. Slight hint of alcohol at room temperature, but no evidence when cold. Feel was a bit thin and juice-like, needed more carbonation. Pretty easy to drink, and overall refreshing. More of a cherry beer than Kriek.

07-25-2010 04:24:23 | More by emerge077
rudylaw

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

Another ridiculous growler shared by MasterSki!

Pours a ruby red with a very, light pink head and ample lacing.

The smell is like the inside of a Hostess Cherry Pie. Very much more sweet/tart than sour. Smells absolutely amazing! It's almost an oven-fresh, cooling on the window sill type of smell.

Wow! The taste is even better! I'm now picking up a spiciness you would get from a crumble topping on a dutch apple pie. Slight cinnamon, allspice and crunchy oats. The cherries return as the beer warms... but for awhile, I get that mixed apple/cherry cobbler medley. I've never had something quite like this! Refreshing and a tiny bit sour. Exceptional!

I went back for another pour of this as it absolutely knocked my socks off! A perfect summer beer. Thanks to Alex for another amazing, hard-to-obtain beer!

07-24-2010 14:20:33 | More by rudylaw
Gtreid

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

Thanks to my buddy Dave for sharing this growler. Poured into my ccb tulip.

A: Pours a very dark almost blood red color. A nice finger of fluffy slightly pink head appears then fades to a thin rim. Leaves some sticky lace.

A: Sweet and tart cherries all the way with hints of raspberries, graham crackers, and strawberries. Really just like a can of cherry pie filling.

T: Cherry explosion in my mouth! Sweet syrupy cherry juice, with notes of citrus hops, raspberries, and sweet malts. The brew finishes tart and dry.

M: Medium body, good amount of carbonation.

D and overall impression: drinkability is a touch lower due to the overpowering sweetness, but I could have a couple of glasses. Overall this is a soild brew, and one I wouldn't mind having as a dessert beer. Skal.

07-24-2010 10:49:20 | More by Gtreid
jrallen34

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%

Tasting with Agent Zero.

Growler into my Narke tulip.

The beer pours a dark plum/marroon, with a light tope head that doesn't raise much, not a ton going on here...The aroma is super sweet, lots of sweet cherries that have a candy/medicinal quality. Light tartness. Its pretty nice, could use a little more tartness to even it out better...The taste is sweet light tart but good, after awhile a little too sweet, its almost sticky like candy. Again with a litlte more tartness this would be great...The feel is really nice, almost stickyness in the mouth....It starts out easy to drink, but after a glass overwhelmed by sweetness. Good thing I split this with three people. This is good for a glass but thats it.

Overall, this is a really good, a total fruit beer not much of a lambic quality at all. Very similar to NG Belgian Red. I would recommend this for any fruit beer fans.

07-23-2010 19:07:29 | More by jrallen34
Sean9689

4.43/5  rDev +3%

Growler shared by Alex (Masterski) into FoBaB tasting glass.

A - Pours a dark cherry red color, light fizzy cream colored head, small ring and some light bubbles remain on top.

S - Cherries (obv), tart/sour (cherries again), spice, graham cracker crust. Very nice!

T - Sour/tart cherries, sweet cherries, call it anyway you want, lots of cherries. Not overpowering, just right, yum. Some spice on the finish that sticks with you.

M - Light, slight carbonation, dry(ish) finish.

D - I like this better when compared to the New Glarus fruit beers. Easy to drink for the style and if you're into fruit beers, it's a must-try.

07-23-2010 17:13:18 | More by Sean9689
AgentZero

4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

Thanks to jrallen34 for hooking me up with this.

A - Pours a deep ruby red/maroon with a small head that left some spots on it. Head receded into a nice ring. Nice looking beer.

S - Deep cherry smell on this and a little bit of wood. Smells very sweet, almost like a dessert.

T - This is a very impressive tasting beer. Huge deep cherry flavor, I almost get notes of chocolate, as in chocolate covered cherries. It's quite a bit like New Glarus WBR. Not tart at all, very candy sweet.

M - Lighter side of medium bodied, very sticky. Goes down smoothly.

D - Pretty good, for something so sweet I was able to do a couple glasses out of the growler. Good stuff, great dessert beer, and a nice drinker regularly as well.

07-23-2010 00:29:13 | More by AgentZero
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

4.47/5  rDev +4%

Big thanks to stakem for sending this one out!

Poured into LA tulip. Glad I found out this one isn't a kreik because it isn't brewed with wild yeast. So rating this as a fruit beer.

Pours about a finger of light pink hued khaki head. Fades to a thick ring. Doesn't leave hardly any lace. Color is a hazed dark cherry red with a slight brown hue to it.

Aroma: Cherries and then some. There is a nice oak flavor here that adds a layer I really enjoy. The cherries are mellow and not tart/sour. Very clean and earthy. Mainly just a lot of fruits, but very well done.

Taste: Reminds me a bit of WI Belgian Red. The cherries are slightly tart here, but barely. Very fresh and earthy. Has some light yeast flavors. It does have some spice flavors that I didn't pick up in the nose which add a nice layer to the cherries. Not too sour or tart, but sweet in a good way.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and slightly tart. Pretty refreshing feel to it. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends with a cherry candy flavored aftertaste, slightly dry but clean.

Overall, I am very impressed with this one. I am already getting towards the end of my second glass and not getting sick of it. Very drinkable. One of the best fruit beers I have had. I am very glad I got to try this one.

07-20-2010 03:24:59 | More by mothman
Thorpe429

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a beautiful, bright ruby red with a nice light pink head and good amounts of lacing.

S: Strong cherries. Good amount of sweetness with a bit of sourness in there, more likely from the cherries than from any critters. A bit of an earthiness to it as well.

T: Strong cherries and a bit of earthiness. Hints of some Christmas-type spices, but not too much. Perhaps a touch of cinnamon.

M: Medium body with good carbonation. Sweet without being too cloying. Had no idea this was 8% until I looked.

D: Very, very drinkable all around. Definitely rivals the fruit beers of New Glarus, and is near the top of my list. With that said, I think Selin's Framboise is better.

07-14-2010 15:19:32 | More by Thorpe429
koopa

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

The keg kicked after pouring just 20oz's (which I'm sampling at the moment) into my 64oz growler and they announced it was the only keg of kriek that they had for the night :(

Appearance: Pours a deep blood to burgandy with honey folds and a2 finger dirty brown red crown that shows good retention and lace. I guess the bartender served me a poorly poured glass off of the tap when I drank this at the brewpub. My own pour of the growler looks much better.

Smell: Lots of dark fruit like sweet cherries, tart cherries, red grapes, and perhaps plums, along with a hint of malt sweetness and a winter spice note.

Taste: Same as nose with a strong cherry over lightly sweet malt profile. It's almost black cherry like and manages to be quite pungent yet not medicinal.

Mouthfeel: Thicker side of medium and a bit low on carbonation but it works. Seems a touch thinner than it did on tap last night but that could just be my mind playing tricks on me.

Drinkability: My glass finished fairly quickly and I wanted more.

07-09-2010 19:46:56 | More by koopa
callmemickey

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Selin's Grove

A: Deep blood red body. Large inch plus pinkish head. Good retention with gorgeous sheet-like lacing.

S: Dank cherries. Slightly sweet with a ton of tartness. Some other dark fruit notes are muted in the background. Warming spice notes as well.

T: Beautiful. A wonderful balance of sweet and tart. Since this isn't a true lambic, its a bit sweeter than something like a Cantillon Kriek. Despite the sweetness, it is not medicinal at all. Again warming spices like cinnamon are present in the background. Each sip is just a tad different than the sip before. Nice.

M: Medium to full bodied. Solid carbonation, but not to the point of fizzy. A little pucker and some nice lingering sweetness. Ultimately, a little thicker than I'd prefer.

D: An intense and tasty experience. Glad to be able to make the trek out to the pub and get a few glasses and growlers.

07-08-2010 03:56:49 | More by callmemickey
tpd975

4.65/5  rDev +8.1%

Thanks to gunhaver for this one.

A: Pours a nice darker shade of reddish brown with some pink tones showing through. Small off white head no lace.

S: Wonderful aromas of dark tart cherries, with hints of sweet cherry candy and oak.

T: Taste is married to the aromas. Sweet and tart cherries, oak, and a touch of spice. Tasty as a hell I want my own growler of this one.

M: Medium in body, mild carbonation tasty... great.

D: A wonderful beer. I have heard great things about this one.... for good reason I may add.

05-27-2010 00:01:22 | More by tpd975
drabmuh

Maryland

4.13/5  rDev -4%

Poured from a growler into a pint glass. I was very excited to get this one. Carbonation is always a concern of mine when dealing with a growler, but not this time, carbonation of this beer is high high high. Beer is red in color and completely clear. The head is what and leaves a lot of lacing on the glass. Looks great.

Aroma is a little weak. The provider of the growler warned us that this one was weaker than the other one he had opened a month ago even though they were kept cold. I can detect some cherries in there though. Even diminished the aroma is good.

Beer has a medium to low body. Overall light tasting. Good cherry flavor, nice sourness overall to the beer. Some good citric qualities throughout. Drinkability is high (I could have taken down this entire growler myself) and mouthfeel is great. The carbonation helps to carry the sour notes throughout the palate. I would love to try this on draft sometime.

01-31-2010 00:22:14 | More by drabmuh
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.78/5  rDev +11.2%

I was seriously bowled over with joy to be able to land this one. It first crossed my radar I want to say about a month ago and I knew this was going to be a hard pull for me. Whenever something is draft or growler only it lands a bit of difficulty, but not to be deterred, the wonderful Avalon came through for me again. This growler was kept cold until 08/25/2009 when I had the time to fully enjoy it. Poured into multiple pint glasses, it was all but destroyed last night saving for one pint I am saving for my Mother in law as she is a big fan of the style.

Appearance 5 - Perfect. End of story. Ruby red tinted brown in color with an enormous head of pinkish foam that came up to at least three inches over the top of the glass. Just an enormously good pour. The head settled down in a few minutes but it never really got much lower then about an inch and a half, and that was even pushing it, this thing was seriously a beast. Tons of sticky lace coating he sides and just an enormous overall look to it. To say I was impressed would again be another understatement.

Aroma 5 - Like tart cherry pie, or as close as you could get to it. Simply sublime. Rich notes of tart cherries, hints of almost currant, touches of raspberries and a nice bit of spice balanced in to it. Warming brings out a subtle sweetness that nearly knocks me out for the count.

Taste 4.5 - Such a warm and open flavor. Coating would be another great word for it. I just kept going back and back again and again, I really just could not get enough of this one.  Each sips more and more complex. Rich cherry flavor, touches of light cinnamon, a boozy note as it warms, with a really huge fruit profile. Unstoppable with its flavor, this was just literally outstanding in nearly every way possible. As it comes up near room temperature the subtle notes of warm brown sugar mixes with a tart, sour cherry to produce such a wonderfully complex flavor I am beside myself. Fades out slowly to just a touch of dry sour notes as it finishes.

Feel 5 - Again perfect. From the first frothy sips I took that tickled the nose from the copious head of foam on top, to the last, well carbonated drops that roll across the tongue letting you pull every last drop of flavor from this perfect, perfect beverage.

Drinkability 5 - Outstanding, this is 8%, not possible. I was getting through this faster then most IPA's and it never really felt like it caught up with me at all. Outstanding in every possible way. I was beyond impressed here, I was mesmerized.

Overall how are people not freaking over this one? One of the best examples of the style I have ever had, easily top 3 fruit beers I have ever had. This was just outstanding. If it were bottled I would have a cellar full of it. Just that good and worth every single sip. Please go get this one, you will not regret it.

08-26-2009 15:09:00 | More by mikesgroove
sholland119

4.6/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

On tap at the brewpub.

A-Pours a ruby brown with a creamy, pink-tinged head. Great retention and lacing.

S-Sour cherry is the dominant aroma with a hint of cream.

T-Very rich creaminess with tart cherries and some vanilla.

M-Silky, light and creamy.

D-The best fruit beer I have ever had. Great flavors and mouthfeel. Very enjoyable.

HV

08-10-2009 14:30:59 | More by sholland119
Beerisheaven

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

Drank on Saturday at the brewpub and then again on Sunday from a growler that I took home with me. On a side note, a great beer festival at Selinsgrove on Sat. Put this on your calendar if you have never attended.

Poured from a growler into my Selinsgrove goblets.

A - Beautiful ruby/garnett red with a small head rising on top. Just looking at it you get the idea that this might be really good. Deep ruby color, just magnificent.

S/T - The natural thing to do is to compare this to the New Glarus Belgian Red. Whereas the red has a distinct cherry pie taste to me and is less tart, the Phoenix hits you with the wonderful smell and taste of cherries but a bit on the puckery side. Not sour by any means, but a little more tart and edgy than the Belg Red from NG. Just wonderful.

M - Very nice, nothing really noteworthy here. Good balance and carbonation.

D - Not something that I could drink all day long but it is an exceptional beer to have with dessert.

Selinsgrove rarely disappoints and this is an outstanding beer. I actually thought this was similar to their Framboise this year but with cherry instead of rasberry.

I can't wait for the fall and the pumpkin ale. If you are close, check out a wonderful pub that makes wonderful beers.

07-20-2009 13:02:16 | More by Beerisheaven
LilBeerDoctor

4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

On tap at the brewpub. Pours a deep red/brown with a thick light pink head. Aroma is bready/yeasty with tart cherry. Flavor of tart cherry initially with cinnamon and pie crust followed by a sweet cherry finish. Nice and tart. Quite a good fruit beer (although personally I prefer the Selin's Grove Saison de Peche).

07-14-2009 17:23:17 | More by LilBeerDoctor
hopdog

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sampled from Growler (on several occasions).

Poured a dark reddish / brown color with a smaller sized off white head. Aromas of light sour/tart cherries, woody and caramel. All around cherry pie filling. Tastes of sweet and tart cherries with some vanilla (mmmm, cherry pie with vanilla ice cream). Nice tart and light puckering finish.

Notes from 10/9/06

11-17-2008 01:55:30 | More by hopdog
likestoswallow

4.55/5  rDev +5.8%

Hand-bottle acquired via trade.

Pours an amber brown color with a small off-white head. The aroma is resplendent with ripe tart cherries. There is an elegant simplicity to this aroma, it is straightforward with no pretentiousness.

The flavor shows more tart cherries, cherry pit, and plenty of mouth-puckering sour cherries. This kinda reminds me of Cantillion Blabaer in its approach, Phoenix does for cherries what Blabaer does for blueberries, very elegant.

The palate is silky smooth, the finish is long and tart.

Its hard to believe this is an American brew and not one of the great Euros. Selins Grove has done it right. Great quaff. Try it.

11-15-2008 21:34:05 | More by likestoswallow
Deuane

4.78/5  rDev +11.2%

A-Deep, dark crimson with reddish brown highlights. Medium off-white purplish tinged head lasts long through the glass leaving nice lacing.

S-Tart cherries(really?) and a nice underlying sweetness with the suggestion of Belgian candi sugar and raisin/plum.

T-Tart cherries grab the tounge and NEVER let go! An underlying sweetnes keeps this from heading into Cantillon territory and keeps it crisp through and through. This is all about the cerries and nothing else.

M-Medium bodied and a bit syrupy but never cloying. The sharp, crsip tartness prevents that form happening.

D-A strong contender for all time favorite SGB seasonal offering....but then again so is RazzMerry and Pumpkin! I simply cannot get enough of this brew when it is available. I often have one or two and then start doing mixes with wahatever is on tap...like Kriek and Shade Mountain or Kriek/Stealth or....let my imagination run wild!

08-16-2008 06:31:48 | More by Deuane
JDV

4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

handbottle shared courtesy of Briank. Thanks man!
Pours rich dark red but clearish. Smell is straight tart dark red cherry juice all the way. Taste is much the same with vibrant, juicy sour cherry flavor. No funk or anything getting in the way of the delicious fresh cherry taste. Good stuff, and sweet an sour balancing to keep from being cloying. Thanks again!

06-30-2008 20:39:06 | More by JDV
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

3.73/5  rDev -13.3%

Bottle courtesy of Miver (handbottle): Poured a deep clear reddish color ale with some limited carbonation (due to the handbottling). Aroma of sour cheery with some light cough syrup notes. Taste is a nice mix between some sour cherry with some notes of oak and tart and some limited sweetness. I was slightly disappointed by the cough syrup notes that I could pick-up through the tasting. Nice body with no apparent alcohol. Well done but I could do without the cough syrup. Makes me want to take a road trip and taste the beer on site.

04-24-2008 16:47:40 | More by Phyl21ca
BeerTruth

Connecticut

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

Huge thanks to KRAMER17801 for getting this one for me.

64 oz. growler poured into my Selin's Grove goblet.

I've heard a lot of good things about this brew. If I'm drinking a bloody colored beer, I might as well watch a bloody movie. Planet Terror it is.

Pours a blood-ruby hue with a fluffy half finger off-white head that has a hint of pink which dies down to a paper thin layer that lasts throughout. Very nice lacing left on the sides, almost a wall of foam remains clinging to the glass. Sour cherry and cherry cobbler in the nose, not overpowering by any means which makes this very pleasant to sniff. A fair amount of malt and woody aromas as well. Taste blows me away. First sip reminds me so much of my grandma's cherry pie. Fresh cherries on the tongue with a buttery pie crust as well. Much sweeter flavor than the nose leads you to believe, I love it. Aftertaste has a bit of vanilla and honey which pairs up perfectly with the cherries. This has a bit more thickness than the New Glarus Belgian Red with a creamy medium body. Carbonation is pretty smooth, very fitting for this beer. Is this really 8%? Good lord I know a few ladies who would melt over this treat. Hmm, I need to make a few phone calls ;) Selin's Grove keeps pumping out excellent beers, keep it up! I've been down there once, and I definitely need to make it there again...SOON!

edit: I can't stop licking my lips!!

04-19-2008 00:29:03 | More by BeerTruth
ffejherb

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

On tap at SGB on 4/6/08.

A - Violet/plum-colored body with thin pink ring around the rim of the glass. Minimal carbonation.

S - Tart black cherry pie filling and berry fruit with a hint of vanilla and honey. Pomegranate? Touch of alcohol as the liquid warmed.

T - Black cherry sweetness and tartness with some vanilla notes and honey sweetness. Finish is quite bitter and akin to pomegranate fruit. Flavor is sweet, tart and bitter all in one.

M - Medium body with a fairly prickly, bubbly personality. Sticky mouthfeel with a tartness that makes the mouth pucker up. Pretty long-lasting bitterness with some sweetness on the tongue.

D - Finally got to try this much talked-about brew from SGB. More complex than I had anticipated. While I prefer the Razzmerry, this is also quite nice.

04-06-2008 23:23:37 | More by ffejherb
Kegatron

4.68/5  rDev +8.8%

On tap at the brewpub. Served in a goblet.

Pours a deep, clear ruby color with a thin, off-white (with a purplish tint) head. Retains well around the edges of the goblet and leaves some thin wisps of foam across the top that leaves some nice swathes of lace that slide down the sides. The aroma is dominant tones of both candied and tart cherries, vanilla and caramel sweetness, and a light sense of heat.

The taste is more vanilla and cinnamon notes up front that meld into a fantastic blast of cherry tartness and is then followed by a tingling hop bitterness. Finishes with a sticky mix of hops and tart bitterness. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a nice creamy feel. There is a slight presence of heat but it's not really stinging in anyway, just adding a slight beef to the body.

One of my favorite seasonals at the SGB, this is more reminiscent of a New Glarus Fruit beer than a traditional sour Kriek. That's OK though, as it makes the beer much more accessible and drinkable while still being completely awesome. Get up there and try this stuff now!

04-01-2008 17:50:41 | More by Kegatron