Phoenix Kriek - Selin's Grove Brewing Company

Phoenix KriekPhoenix Kriek

Selin's Grove Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: weeare138 on 06-29-2007)

4.78/5  rDev +10.6%

I was seriously bowled over with joy to be able to land this one. It first crossed my radar I want to say about a month ago and I knew this was going to be a hard pull for me. Whenever something is draft or growler only it lands a bit of difficulty, but not to be deterred, the wonderful Avalon came through for me again. This growler was kept cold until 08/25/2009 when I had the time to fully enjoy it. Poured into multiple pint glasses, it was all but destroyed last night saving for one pint I am saving for my Mother in law as she is a big fan of the style.

Appearance 5 - Perfect. End of story. Ruby red tinted brown in color with an enormous head of pinkish foam that came up to at least three inches over the top of the glass. Just an enormously good pour. The head settled down in a few minutes but it never really got much lower then about an inch and a half, and that was even pushing it, this thing was seriously a beast. Tons of sticky lace coating he sides and just an enormous overall look to it. To say I was impressed would again be another understatement.

Aroma 5 - Like tart cherry pie, or as close as you could get to it. Simply sublime. Rich notes of tart cherries, hints of almost currant, touches of raspberries and a nice bit of spice balanced in to it. Warming brings out a subtle sweetness that nearly knocks me out for the count.

Taste 4.5 - Such a warm and open flavor. Coating would be another great word for it. I just kept going back and back again and again, I really just could not get enough of this one.  Each sips more and more complex. Rich cherry flavor, touches of light cinnamon, a boozy note as it warms, with a really huge fruit profile. Unstoppable with its flavor, this was just literally outstanding in nearly every way possible. As it comes up near room temperature the subtle notes of warm brown sugar mixes with a tart, sour cherry to produce such a wonderfully complex flavor I am beside myself. Fades out slowly to just a touch of dry sour notes as it finishes.

Feel 5 - Again perfect. From the first frothy sips I took that tickled the nose from the copious head of foam on top, to the last, well carbonated drops that roll across the tongue letting you pull every last drop of flavor from this perfect, perfect beverage.

Drinkability 5 - Outstanding, this is 8%, not possible. I was getting through this faster then most IPA's and it never really felt like it caught up with me at all. Outstanding in every possible way. I was beyond impressed here, I was mesmerized.

Overall how are people not freaking over this one? One of the best examples of the style I have ever had, easily top 3 fruit beers I have ever had. This was just outstanding. If it were bottled I would have a cellar full of it. Just that good and worth every single sip. Please go get this one, you will not regret it.

4.78/5  rDev +10.6%

A-Deep, dark crimson with reddish brown highlights. Medium off-white purplish tinged head lasts long through the glass leaving nice lacing.

S-Tart cherries(really?) and a nice underlying sweetness with the suggestion of Belgian candi sugar and raisin/plum.

T-Tart cherries grab the tounge and NEVER let go! An underlying sweetnes keeps this from heading into Cantillon territory and keeps it crisp through and through. This is all about the cerries and nothing else.

M-Medium bodied and a bit syrupy but never cloying. The sharp, crsip tartness prevents that form happening.

D-A strong contender for all time favorite SGB seasonal offering....but then again so is RazzMerry and Pumpkin! I simply cannot get enough of this brew when it is available. I often have one or two and then start doing mixes with wahatever is on tap...like Kriek and Shade Mountain or Kriek/Stealth or....let my imagination run wild!

4.97/5  rDev +15%

Growler acquired via trade with tgncc...THANKS TOM!!! Rusty penny/burnt tangerine pour with crimson highlights and a rather sizable eggshell head that left a spot or two inside the glass. Aroma begins subtle but develops significantly as it warms. Nose shows apple, cinnamon, tart cherry skin, lemon zest, and brown sugar. Dangerously drinkable and quite surprised by the 8% ABV. Lots of fruit, cherry, cinnamon spice, buttermilk biscuit, toffee, and honey. Amazing combination of sweet and sour. Tart finish. This was a FANTASTIC beer. Totally lived up to the hype. AMAZING!!!

Phoenix Kriek from Selin's Grove Brewing Company