2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Pumpkin Ale - Selin's Grove Brewing Company

Pumpkin Ale
No picture uploaded.

Selin's Grove Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  5.60% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Deuane on 10-29-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 47 | Reviews: 26 | Show All Ratings:
DNICE555

Connecticut

I hate Pumpkin beers but I thought I’d review this one and give it a ridiculously low score because it’s not a DIPA or a Sour – JK

Stopped by this gem of a little brewpub on the #Fall #Halloween #Pumpkin trip 2013. (Anyone see that Jimmy Fallon skit?)

If you like shipyard pumpkinhead (regular not the smashed version) – this beer might require you to put some training wheels on.

Poured by the great bartender Jen – First this I noticed is it’s on nitro tap – awesome. First time having a pumpkin on nitro tap. A very dark Orange/Brown with a nice creamy head.

This actually smells like pumpkin!!! No, not cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, ect (although I do get a subtle waft of those too) but actual pumpkin! I can’t wait to dive in.

Finally, a pumpkin beer that tastes like pumpkin. The normally associated spices are there but subtle. The squash taste really comes through beautifully. This is the best pumpkin that I’ve ever had. I’m glad I got to enjoy 2 pints of it. Gets so much better as it warms up.

The mouthfeel is awesome – smooth with a touch of nitro creaminess.

To date – this is my #1 pumpkin beer. Too bad it’s only on tap 4.5 hours away from me once a year.

10-21-2013 15:22:15 | More by DNICE555
Knapp85

3.68/5  rDev -16.6%

This beer is the reason I found out about Selin's Grove. I had been searching on here for good seasonal brews and saw this had a high rating. The beer was poured and needed a lengthy period of time for the nitro to settle. The beer is a very nice looking orange copper color with the soft creamy nitro head on top. There wasn't much lacing with was surprising. The retention was very good though. The smell of the beer wasn't that good, it was kinda funky. The taste was pretty good but there was also a metallic flavor in there... Had the iron-like flavor not been there the fla or of this would be great. Pumpkin, spices, and vanilla sweetness all come together with a nice soft finish. The mouthfeel is creamy, medium bodied, very smooth. This is very drinkable. Overall this beer could be mind blowing if they can fix the aroma and metallic flavor in there. Still found this to be very good though.

10-28-2012 17:48:28 | More by Knapp85
jacwomyn

District of Columbia

I went there the day after the town parade just to have this beer. It smelled like Yuengling. I wasn't expecting that. It tasted much better than how it smelled. The nitro gave it a creamy mouth feel. There was very little taste of pumpkin. It was not spicy with cinnamon, nutmeg or allspice at all which I loved. It was more like a vanilla creamy with a very slight hint of pumpkin. The pub was very quaint and country like. We got to drink all there beers outside which added a nice touch of Fall. Overall, Selin's Grove's beer were all fantastic!

10-27-2012 19:08:37 | More by jacwomyn
Thorpe429

4.13/5  rDev -6.3%

On nitro at Selin's Grove last weekend. Served in a pint glass. Reviewed from notes.

Pours a rusty orange-amber with a decent-sized off-white head that falls fairly quickly and doesn't leave much lacing, especially considering the serving type. The nose brings some really nice pumpkin pie character with a bit of spice and sweetness. Integrated spices with nothing over the top. The flavor carries this through. Mouthfeel is what really makes this beer. The nitro delivery is brilliant and the spices are just right through the finish. Great medium body and smooth carbonation. Really well done.

10-29-2011 14:42:36 | More by Thorpe429
JohannBock

Maryland

4.1/5  rDev -7%

I've heard so many great things about this beer this was the main reason we came out to the brewery tonight.

A: Thick 2.5 fingers of off white head that receded very slowly. The beer was a brown orange color but when held into the light was orange around the outsides with a deep red in the middle.

S: Pretty much all pumpkin, not many spices though. There is a bit of cinnamon at the end but pumpkin really dominates.

T: Follows the nose pretty much to a "t". You get pumpkin right at the beginning. You get some hop in the middle but it is washed out again with pumpkin. The cinnamon comes out way late, almost after you swallow, but it's a really nice touch.

*Note* Becomes exceptional after you let it warm up. It's not a day and night difference but in my opinion it got much better after it sat around for a bit.

M: Smooth and creamy just like you want out of a nitro.

O: Nice pumpkin beer. I've never had a bad offering from Selin's Grove and this is no exception. Not overly spiced and just plain tasty.

10-27-2011 03:04:07 | More by JohannBock
Hojaminbag

Colorado

4.38/5  rDev -0.7%

Selin's Grove Pumpkin Ale has a dark orange to brown body with a very solid-looking tan head. This one was obviously a nitro pour. Very good lacing and retention.

The nose has a lot of sweetness and a variety of spices. Smells more like pumpkin and less like pumpkin pie than a lot of other pumpkin beers, which is something that I like. Over-spiced beers all taste the same, and I seldom want a second glass.

I'm not sure how this beer tastes so much like pumpkin flesh, but it reminds me of that more than any other beer that I can think of. All kinds of pumpkin flavor and a moderate amount of sweetness do most of the work of the flavor profile here. The spices do come in toward the end, but they are accents rather than highlights. A bit of cinnamon is really all I pick up, with maybe a hint of vanilla. This is a very good pumpkin beer.

Full and creamy, like any nitro-pour should be.

For once I'm not going to complain about a nitro-pour, because this beer is so damn good. For the first time ever, I ordered more than one of the same pumpkin beer in the same night. For those of you who like an occasional pumpkin beer, but tire of the spices, this one is for you.

10-25-2011 23:21:40 | More by Hojaminbag
bigfnjoe

4.53/5  rDev +2.7%

Served on nitro at the brewpub....this is the main reason we came up

A- pours a cloudy shade of dark orange. OK then

S- the aroma is of pumpkin, and nothing but...no spices coming out of this one. Just what I'm looking for

T- this one is all pumpkin, minimally sweet. There is a very, very mild taste of cinnamon coming out of this, but I'm mainly getting that pure, unadulterated pumpkin taste.

M- body is medium, but the nitro gives it a very creamy body, much like a Guinness. Excellent

O- fantastic pumpkin beer, unlike anything I've had before. It tastes like pure pumpkin, and has a very unique mouthfeel. GET ALL THIS!!!

10-16-2011 15:04:15 | More by bigfnjoe
pmsawyer

4.4/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served on nitro-tap at Selin's Grove into a pint. Paired with a bowl of pumpkin soup. Such a good combo.

A - Pours a deep orange with a white head.

S - Light spices complement the pumpkin aroma. The pumpkin pie spices present a good balance.

T - Expertly made pumpkin pie in a glass. The pumpkin flavors are well presented but not overwhelmed by any spice.

M - Good flavor, medium body, excellent carbonation and smooth texture contribute to the style.

D - The best pumpkin beer I have ever had.

10-16-2011 13:54:45 | More by pmsawyer
stakem

4.55/5  rDev +3.2%

Review from notes taken on 11/17/10 at the brewpub. This was my 3rd visit during the pumpkin ale season and every time there was an excuse as to why it was not on tap. Behold, this day I finally got to try it. Evidently I was just in time because this was the last keg of the year.

Served on nitro into a short type of weizen glass. It appears a clear polished amber orange color. A beautiful creamy smooth finger of yellowish stained froth sits atop this brew and laces in a curtain all about the glass. The cap retains perfectly atop the brew right down until the last sip.

The aroma of this brew is exactly what I love about pumpkin ales. The dominant character is the flesh of pumpkins instead of the obligatory spices that cover up any indication of the pumpkin scent/flavor. There is a light spiced and earthy component that accents the flesh of the pumpkin. A suggestion of citrus hops is evident as well in the background. A light cinnamon hint and mellow sweetness like vanilla is also included in the nose.

The taste of this brew is pumpkin flesh with some light earthy character. Some citrus hops make the flavor of this brew a little brighter. A light amount of nutmeg is noted. A sweet fleshly brew yet it is balanced by the inclusion of the hops. A subtle note of cinnamon comes out as the brew warms along with a vanilla bean type of sweetness. A lasting character of earthy and herbal hops meets the flesh of pumpkin and it just resides inside your mouth long after each sip.

A touch of alcohol starts to warm the back of the throat. It is medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. This is exceptionally smooth and drinkable care of the nitro delivery which is exactly what this brew needed to take it above and beyond any other pumpkin experience I have ever had. This beer is absolutely pound-able, it was my intension to try one of these and then move on to the other offerings. Instead I found myself calling it quits after three of these. The pumpkin flavor in this brew is absolutely perfect, when someone wants to drink a pumpkin ale and not just a spiced ale, this is the one to go for during the holidays.

11-29-2010 02:52:34 | More by stakem
orangesol

4.28/5  rDev -2.9%

A - Pours a deep orange with a strong, creamy, two finger white head that leaves light lacing down the entire glass.

S - Light spices add a nice complement to all that pumpkin aroma. Cinnamon, nutmeg, and all the other pumpkin pie spices you would imagine are in this one. A very nice balance.

T - The spices dominate this one. Cinnamon, nutmeg, and all the other spices help warm the pallet. The pumpkin flavors are ever present but don't come to the forefront until the finish. A great balance off spices and pumpkin.

M - Heavy flavor with a medium body and excellent carbonation. Very creamy feel on the pallet. The flavors are strong but don't linger for very long.

D - The strong spices bring it down a few notches but it is still a very enjoyable pumpkin offering. One of the best pumpkin beers I have ever had.

11-13-2010 21:30:23 | More by orangesol
gator0877

4.35/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this on nitro tap tonight.

A Orange with a one inch white head. This sounds weird but it looked like an orange stout.

S. Light spice smell. It smelled more like roast pumpkin than pumpkin pie spice and that is kinda rare for most pumpkin beers.

T. Wow, just wow. There is a slight nutmeg and cinnamon taste but it is very faint and obviously not overpowering. Just like the smell, it has more of a roasted pumpkin taste and no hop presence. I really like this, it is a change from most pumpkin beers.

M. Very very creamy. It almost has a stout feel to it. I loved this.

D Low ABV. If I was here longer I could drink a few of these. This was a definate winner.

10-20-2010 00:47:39 | More by gator0877
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

3.88/5  rDev -12%

Enjoyed on nitro-tap at the brewpub.Surprisingly good for pumpkin and for nitrogen. Mild spicey, more on the nutmeg. Light orange. A bit less than medium mouthfeel. Lasting white head. Easy drinking, smooth. This one was 4.5% a.b.v. was appreciated. Masterful brewing again.

11-15-2009 02:06:50 | More by Sammy
akorsak

For the record, Pumking could be the worst thing beer that I've ever consumed. That being said, while at SGBC, I figured that I should give in to the hype and try this.

A: The pumpkin ale is an amber hued ale that is moderately translucent, enough so that you can see an outline of whatever is on the other side of the glass. The nitro pour has given the ale a thick head that lingers.

S: The nose is spicy, full of cinnamon and nutmeg with allspice and cloves following up. The fullness of the nose isn't intimidating or overly sweet.

T: I gotta tell you, I'm kinda liking this one. The spices are dominant with cinnamon taking the lead. The other spices from the nose follow in short order. The pumpkin aspect is minimal but the spice load is more than capable of carrying the weight. The spices don't linger much after a sip is gone.

M: The mouthfeel is a bonanza of spices atop of a mild malt body. I'll freely admit that this beer exceeded my expectations.

D: The alcohol is low but the spice profile is pretty strong. To me, that limits the drinkability of the ale. It is the best pumpkin ale I've had though.

11-14-2009 23:06:38 | More by akorsak
thain709

4.08/5  rDev -7.5%

A - A deep orange-copper body with a big, white pillowy head...the nitro pour allows the head to retain through the entire beer...lace clings to the sides of the glass

S - At first the aroma is kind of muted...but as it warms the spices really come to life...all of what you would expect from a pumpkin ale...cinnamon (dominates), nutmeg, and some all spice

T - The flavors work together very nicely...this one is very balanced between tasting like pumpkin and tasting like pumpkin pie...the spice notes come out every now and then as well as the straight pumpkin notes...cinnamon again shines through a little more than the other spices...a very nice balance that doesn't disappoint

M - Medium bodied...creamy as all get out...I love nitro pours

D - Like I said this one is a great balance between pumpkin and pumpkin pie...this rates right up towards the top for me in pumpkin ales...a must try if you are at SGB in the fall

11-11-2009 21:56:05 | More by thain709
Beerisheaven

4.6/5  rDev +4.3%

Stopped by Friday and Sunday during the Penn State Ohio State weekend. My stops at this lovely brewpub were the highlights of a bad weekend spent at Beaver Stadium.

A - Arrives at the table boasting a puffy light head over top of a dark orange amber color liquid. Given that it was poured from the nitro tap, the large puffy white head is a billowing cloud sitting atop the beverage.

S/T - Whereas last year I thought that the pumpkin ale took a more muted presence, this year's is about perfect. The aroma is a delightful reminder of this time of the year. Pumpkin, nutmeg, cinnamon. The taste is by far and away the most natural of all pumpkin ales that I have had. Some tend just to be a spice bomb, but this one blends the smell of spice and pumpkin perfectly. For many a pumpkin, the initial flavor sensation melts away and you realize why you don't normally stock your cellar with cases of pumpkin beer. This one you could. It is fresh, crisp, and delightful.

M - The nitro makes it a creamy sensation, just perfect.

D - A really top notch beer, but like I said when I have a pumpkin or two that is about it. Not something that I could drink a lot of but certainly a beer that I could enjoy having around to taste over the long holiday season.

There are many threads discussing which pumpkin ale is the best. Take a road trip and you will realize that there is NO debate over this question. Each year I look forward to it, this year's batch is just about the best of the ones I have had. Check it out before it is gone.

11-09-2009 00:00:22 | More by Beerisheaven
cyraxx

4.88/5  rDev +10.7%

A - This beer pours a pretty dark orange amber color with an amazingly creamy looking white head.

S - Pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg all waft from the glass.

T - Wow, this is phenomenal. Incredibly lightly flavored, but with all of the spices coming in distinctly.

M - Light bodied and creamy carbonation...great.

D - I could drink this all day. I was upset that they didn't do growlers of it, but then again it's nitro. I would have gotten one or two definitely, and probably would have finished them tonight.

11-08-2009 00:39:28 | More by cyraxx
LilBeerDoctor

3.85/5  rDev -12.7%

Reviewed on 10/27/08. On nitro tap at the brewpub. Pours dark orange with a thick light tan nitro head. Aroma of cinnamon, brown sugar, and whipped cream. Flavor is more of the same--lots of sugar and cinnamon. The nitro gives it a smooth body. Definitely my favorite pumpkin ale (although it's not really pumpkiny so much as full of pumpkin spices). It reminds me of my 2nd favorite pumpkin beer (John Harvards Pumpkin Spice) except that instead of actual cinnamon and sugar on the rim of the glass, this beer has incorporated these flavors. Personally I didn't quite enjoy the nitro tap as I like a beer to have decent carbonation, but apart from that I really have no complaints. Top notch beer.
8/4/8/4/15 (3.9/5)

12-28-2008 20:07:45 | More by LilBeerDoctor
hopdog

4.6/5  rDev +4.3%

On tap at the Selins Grove Brew Pub. Nitro.

This one was the reason for making the long trip out (I had very high hopes for it!). I heard they just kicked a keg before we got there and almost didn't put on another one right away (they had to call the brewer to find out where it was - or something like that).

Poured a medium and cloudy amber color with a smaller sized off white head. Aromas of pumpkins, pumpkin seeds, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie crust. Tastes of pumpkins, vanilla, pumpkin pie crust, and spices. This was a solid Pumkin beer but I heard (from several people) that the 2007 was a tad bit better.

Notes from 10/26/08

11-17-2008 01:27:02 | More by hopdog
Kegatron

4.58/5  rDev +3.9%

On tap at the brewpub on 10/24/08. Dispensed via nitro-pour.

Pours a hazy orange amber with a thin layer of oh-so-creamy looking off-white head. Retains by thinning down a bit, bunching up around the sides with some thin wisps in the center that leaves a nice spotty cascade of lacing down the sides of the glass. The aroma is what you would expect but with a twist. Spicy notes of cinnamon and all spice with a bready malt signature behind it but I'm also picking up a moderate amount of a hop profile in the backend that adds in notes of floral hops and citrus to the mix.

The taste is similar with a characteristic blend of tingling spices, a touch of pumpkin meat, and some toasty, bready tasting maltiness that lends itself to having an almost pie crust sensation. Once again, those hops show up towards the end, bringing in some citrus tang and a floral feeling hop bitterness that punches up the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a fantastic smooth and creamy feel from the nitro pour. This doesn't seem quite as creamy as I'd had in the past from this beer but it's still an overall wonderful feel that smooths everything out and brings it all together.

This is just one of those signature beers from the SGB that everyone looks forward too each Fall, as it really is tops for the style and the addition of the nitro-pour really puts it over the top, adding a smoothness that is reminiscent of eating a piece of pumpkin pie with whip cream on top. There is a bit more of "green edge" to this years batch than I remembered but I'll just chalk that up to being uber fresh and will probably mellow out a bit over the next couple of weeks. A great beer that I wish more people could be able to try.

10-26-2008 19:45:27 | More by Kegatron
ffejherb

4.78/5  rDev +8.4%

On nitro-tap at SGB on 10/25/08.

A - Hazy two-tone medium copper body fading into a deep orange color with a smooth, creamy beige head that left some lacing that slid down the sides of the glass.

S - Spicy aroma with cinnamon and nutmeg in the forefront, as well as hints of vanilla, cream and all-spice. There's also a bit of bready malt in the form of a sweet graham cracker pie crust.

T - Delicious fresh pumpkin pie flavor with a subtle spiciness including cinnamon, clove and nutmeg. Notes of vanilla and whipped cream add sweetness, while hints of fleshy pumpkin meat adds authenticity and depth to the flavor. Malt is crusty and bready with an almost graham cracker crust essence.

M - Medium, softly carbonated body with a smooth, creamy texture thanks to the nitro tap. Mildly spicy on the palate. Bitterness is almost non-existent.

D - Wow! This is serious competition to Pumking. Simply an awesome pumpkin ale, but then again, I wouldn't expect anything less from Selin's Grove. Another beautiful work of art!

10-26-2008 02:35:50 | More by ffejherb
HopDerek

4.83/5  rDev +9.5%

2008 batch now available at the brewpub.

Poured a clear coppery amber color with 2 fingers of creamy off-white head. Excellent retention left gorgeous lacing notches down the glass. Smells of cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, brown sugar, and doughy malts. Tastes of brown sugar, nutmeg, allspice, pumpkin, caramel, and pie dough with hints of vanilla and floral hops with a finish of cream and cinnamon. Medium in body and low in carbonation. Silky smooth and creamy, doughy and spicy. A great balance between malt and spice, with all the spices being noticeable and recognizable, but not overpowering of any of the other flavors. Very easy to drink and absolutely delicious, one of my favorite brews from Selins Grove, like pumpkin pie in liquid form, with whipped cream on top. Serving it on nitro is pure genious!

10-23-2008 02:30:25 | More by HopDerek
SierraGS

4.65/5  rDev +5.4%

The 2007 version was made in a bigger batch than any previous, so the spices came out a bit differently - much stronger than 2006 - but certainly not in a bad way.

Cinnamon is the primary essence that comes through on the nose. A nitrogen pour gives this ale a creamy head, and a smooth mouthfeel. It's reminiscent of the creaminess of pumpkin pie. It has a beautiful dark copper hue and is a real treat for the season.

02-27-2008 02:13:23 | More by SierraGS
Deuane

4.7/5  rDev +6.6%

A--beautiful muddy orange-copper with a thick solid creamy head.

S--Cinnamon and nutmeg with a hint of malty goodness. Smell not unlike a fresh baked pumpkin pie.

T-- Whoa! Like a liquefied Pumpkin Pie complete with the whipped cream topping. A nice spicy aftertaste. This years version is a bit more spicy (on the cinnamon side) than last years...but very good nonetheless.

M--Full bodied, rich and creamy. This is some solid stuff.

D--A beer I crave every year. This is, IMHO, the best pumpkin beer out there. The difference is to have it served on nitro...sheer genius! I always look forward to the day when the Pumpkin gets tapped at "The Grove"!

10-29-2007 11:50:03 | More by Deuane
oline73

Maryland

3.88/5  rDev -12%

I had this at the Brew Pub. Served in a sample glass.

Appearance: The beer pours a cloudy amber color with not much head showing up at all.

Smell: I would say the overall smell is mild. I'm getting some brown sugar sweetness with a hint of pumpkin type spices. The pumpkin flavor is there, but it's not standing out.

Taste: Mildly sweet with a pumpkin flavor. There is a fruity note that contains some green apple. I'm getting a mild spice note with a bready spice finish.

Mouthfeel: The body is medium with very full carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: This is a very mild but nice pumpkin ale. I would have more, but I don't know that it lived up to the score.

Mouthfeel:

11-24-2012 01:36:31 | More by oline73
mdaschaf

Washington

4.33/5  rDev -1.8%

Had on tap at Selin's Grove. Review from notes.

A: Pours a slightly hazy copper/orange color with an off-white head, about a finger in height that has decent retention, leaving a thin cap on top. Moderate lacing.

S: Aroma a bit closed at first, but opened up quite a bit as it warmed. Lots of nice spice going on, cinnamon, nutmeg, with a little ginger. A bit of bready/graham cracker malt.

T: Quite tasty for a pumpkin beer, the spices and pumpkin blend nicely with the pie crust like malt. More cinnamon and nutmeg mixed with pumpkin, and a bit of vanilla.

M: Medium bodied with a very smooth mouthfeel.

O: Certainly one of the better pumpkin beers I have had.

11-08-2012 23:55:42 | More by mdaschaf