Microbrew Invitational

Added by SchmichaelJ on 04-18-2003

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 31 | Ratings: 73
4.23/5  rDev +1.7%

I had high expectations for this oatmeal stout at the small, quaint and historic Selin's Grove Brewing Company. This brew did not disappoint. It arrived at my table as a beautiful, deeply black pint with a very well-defined head. I must have stared at the demarcation between black liquid and creamy beige head for a few minutes. The smell was undoubtedly of roasted, even burnt malt, with the subtlest hint of hops. The taste of this stout blew me away at first. I don't think I've ever tasted beer this fresh. It was so very smooth and creamy, and the bitter roasted taste seemed almost perfect with my cravings for beer at the time. It also complemented my curry chicken salad very well. The mouthfeel was full and hearty, as expected, but I was very impressed with the creamy smooth texture. I'd highly recommend the Shade Mtn. Stout as a first introduction to the excellent brewpub located in upstate Selingsgrove, PA. I'm unaware of a location where one might find a superior oatmeal stout brewed in PA in such small quantities. A wonderful beer, overall.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last