Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Shade Mountain Oatmeal Stout - Selin's Grove Brewing Company

Oatmeal Stout |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: SchmichaelJ on 04-18-2003

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

I had this on tap at the brewpub. Not sure if this was nitro or not. I didn't ask. It seemed like it was, but you never know. There was only one stout on at the time.

Comes as a near opaque black with a very tight one finger head of really tiny bubbles. Looked like nitro to me. Great lacing on the glass for the duration of the beer.

Aroma is of dark roasted coffee, dark brown sugar, slight piney hops, and dark grains. The smell of this stout made me want to sip ASAP. Very inviting aroma.

Taste is of sweet dark coffee, deep and rich. There is also a just detectable tartness, kind of like sour apples(?), pleasant, but maybe not to style. Also taste herbal/earthy hops way in the back. Still, this is a very smooth oatmeal stout. Even with the tartness, (astringency?) lactose comes through.

Mouthfeel is luxurious, incredibly smooth cask like carbonation, with a sweetness that is not cloying at all. The finish is fairly short, with a sweet/tart aftertaste.

There were several locals there while I was there, and one of them had this all night long. I can see why, this is a slammer!

4.8/5  rDev +15.4%

I have had the oatmeal stout on a number of occasions. It is a great beer every time. It pours a rich, black color with a creamy, white head that is large, long-lasting, and adds lacing to the pint from top to bottom. This is one of the best things that Steve makes.

It has a mixture of grain and roasted maltiness. There is a hint of ripe fruitiness as well. The taste is sublime with an very heavy flavor of roasted malted, grain, and that elusive undercurrent of some kind of fruit. There is also a hint of dark chocolate although there is no chocolate in the brew.

The beer is heavy and very creamy in the mouth. I never start with the oatmeal stout when I come here, because I know that I won't taste anything else. It is that good.

4.23/5  rDev +1.7%

I had high expectations for this oatmeal stout at the small, quaint and historic Selin's Grove Brewing Company. This brew did not disappoint. It arrived at my table as a beautiful, deeply black pint with a very well-defined head. I must have stared at the demarcation between black liquid and creamy beige head for a few minutes. The smell was undoubtedly of roasted, even burnt malt, with the subtlest hint of hops. The taste of this stout blew me away at first. I don't think I've ever tasted beer this fresh. It was so very smooth and creamy, and the bitter roasted taste seemed almost perfect with my cravings for beer at the time. It also complemented my curry chicken salad very well. The mouthfeel was full and hearty, as expected, but I was very impressed with the creamy smooth texture. I'd highly recommend the Shade Mtn. Stout as a first introduction to the excellent brewpub located in upstate Selingsgrove, PA. I'm unaware of a location where one might find a superior oatmeal stout brewed in PA in such small quantities. A wonderful beer, overall.

4.65/5  rDev +11.8%

This is one of the best Oatmeal Stouts I have ever had. This beer was served to me on tap and on nitrogen. What really stands out in the beer is the mouthfeel. Between the combination of the Oatmeal and nitrogen serve, a beer can't "feel" much better than this.

The beer goes down smooth and has full flavor to it, but not too strong or overwhelming. Seems to have a slight slight hint of chocolate flavor, but I'm not sure if that is intentional or not.

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

Steve and Heather do a consistently great job on this one. This is an easy drinking, smooth and extremely flavorfull stout. I would describe the flavor as hard toasted and a bit earthy, much better than the normal coffee-like flavor in a lot of stouts. It has a certain sweetness to it also. A great brew that you can still taste in your mouth long after the laste sip(and that's a good thing).

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last