Microbrew Invitational

YOUR RATING = None |
Awaiting 10 Reviews

Selin's Grove Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States | website

Style: Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB)

Added by SchmichaelJ on 04-18-2003

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 2
Reviews by rdrummer:
4.25/5  rDev n/a

The Old Trail ESB was a good example of an ESB. It poured a dark red almost brown with a medium-sized head and huge amounts of lacing. The aroma is almost entirely hops. The brewer says that they use Northern Brewer and Fuggles and then dry hop it with Columbus. Anyway, it is hop animal. The taste as to be expected is hoppy and bitter. It is also balanced with some sweet malt to keep the pucker factor under control.

The beer is medium bodied and smooth in the mouth and does have puckering effect. It is very cleansing. It definitely deserved another but I was didn't have the time and had way too far to drive.

4.42/5  rDev n/a

The Old Trail, drawn from hand pump behind the bar, had an impressive dark red hue, and a thin head. While the appearance was bold and attractive, I swear I could smell the hops when the waiter was still five feet from my table. Tons of Cascade (and presumably other) hops assaulted my nose, and I loved every minute of it. The taste was just as bitter as I expected..very rich and complex in its bitterness. A hint of malt snuck in there towards mid glass, but I was too enamored with the hops to notice too much. The feel was very smooth and full. Not too fizzy or overly carbonated, just right to enjoy the great taste. My mouth waters as I describe this ESB, and it really made the long trip to Selinsgrove worth the drive. Highly recommended for hop heads, this is a wonderful brew.

Old Trail ESB from Selin's Grove Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.