HopCat Pel Kwint - HopCat

HopCat Pel Kwint
No picture uploaded.

HopCat visit their website

English Brown Ale |  7.20% ABV

According to their website this is an imperial brown ale mixed with vandermill cinnamon cider.

(Beer added by: adamette on 10-19-2009)
Reviews by nickadams2:
4.58/5  rDev -2.3%

On tap at Hopcat 10/20/10
I had no intentions of ordering a Brown ale mixed with cider until I tried my wife's sample.

A_Pours a thick and creamy dark brown.Beautiful red highlights when held to the light.Thick,bubbly,creamy brown head with gobs of lacing.

S_Malt,caramel,sour apple,cinnamon.

T_Huge malty taste followed by a nice sweet tang. I thought that the cider would diminish the quality of this beer but adds to it instead. Has a nice sweet nutty,caramel flavor that goes great with the tangy apple and cinnamon from the cider.

M_Super thick and creamy. Very silky. Almost the consistency of a nitro pour.

D_Just an absolutely delightful beer.

This is Hopcats Kwin Tel mixed with Vandermill Cinnamon cider.

nickadams2, Oct 24, 2010
4.8/5  rDev +2.3%

Just got off of the phone with Steve, the purchaser for HopCat and he told me the story of this beer. First of all, he suggested that it is a "Belgian Strong Ale." Apparently it has to do with the Kymerica project from an author who wrote a book (or a series of books) about an alternate universe using real places. HopCat was chosen and apparently this beer (along with the related Kwit Tel) were toasted at HopCat in the book before going to battle across the river (apparently the river in Grand Rapids). There is even a plaque inside HopCat immediately to the left of the door commemorating the site. So that is the history. Here are my comments on the beer:

Poured from the Growler that I bought at HopCat in Grand Rapids 2 days ago into my Cooperstown Beverage Trail pint glass.

A Pours a georgeous dark brown and glows crimson red in front of direct light. All of that under a great looking light brown creamy head that leaves a curtain of lacing on the inside of my pint glass. I don't know how the look can be improved, really. 5.0

S Sweet malt and Belgian yeast but the smells are muted, subtle. Belgians are my favorite. 4.0

T Oh...great....there is a medium roast malt sweetness at first and then I get an almost sweetened coffee/crushed berries taste of sweetness (I know it doesn't make immediate sense but if you were tasting this beer you would completely understand) with some distant hops, just the way that I like them. After taste brings a return of sweetened coffee without the berries but oh so smooth... I am immediately reminded of why I bought a growler of this incredible beer. 5.0

M Smooth like silk and full, very full. It is like liquid silk this beer. The feel cannot be improved IMO. 5.0

D Well I finished the first pint before finishing my review, an excellent testament to this beer's drinkability. 4.5

Notes: This beer is even better a few days later from a growler than it was on tap at HopCat. Great, great beer. These people REALLY know what they are doing!

adamette, Oct 21, 2009
HopCat Pel Kwint from HopCat
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.