Xyauyù Etichetta Rame (Copper) - Birrificio Le Baladin

Xyauyù Etichetta Rame (Copper)Xyauyù Etichetta Rame (Copper)

Birrificio Le Baladin visit their website
Italy

English Barleywine |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-26-2006

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 107 | Reviews: 67

Special beer, defined "sofa beer" by the brewer. Brewed with Solera method. Something similar to a barley wine, but absolutely not easy to be classified.
The color is something between a dark cherry-wood and plum. No head. The appearance is more of a wine than a beer.
In the smell it reminds a passito wine. Plums, ripe apricot, raisins, a touch of sugary. Maybe melon, too. Surely, ripe fruit.
The taste: again vinous, delicate, raisins, tamarind. Definitely oily, full, and powerful. Unique.
Then, something more loaded, it tends to a porto. It left a lot of maltiness in the mouth. Dry figs, dry fruits. Oxidations.
The beer comes with some chocolate (candied fruit covered with chocolate). The pairing is perfect. The orange of the chocolate is exalted, and the remainig chocolate is perfect.
Body? Well, the body there is, it rises up, it persuades, it becomes full, it doesn't leave you, it fulfils you, cover you, grasps you. It pleasures you!
It is impossible to compare. And for the same reason, it is also difficult to give it a vote. We give it a full 5's, just to prove the uniqueness of it.

4.9/5  rDev +14%

4.87/5  rDev +13.3%

This beer was brewed in 2003, but the vintage date on the bottle lists 2005. Heres why. Musso boils his wort (water and sugar extracted from malted barley) for a very long period of time to create a very sweet and dense liquid. It is then inoculated with a yeast from an Islay Distillery and laid to rest for a long, and difficult 40 days primary fermentation (primary would normally be 4 to 7 days). From there the temperature is lowered to 0C (32F) and kept there for a further 3 months. The beer is then filtered and left in an open tank in a sterilized room for 18 months - then finally it will be bottled where it rests for another 6 before it is sent away.

While I greatly enjoyed this beer, the rich, robust, uncarbonated and port-like style of beer is not for everyone. But what you have to do is rid yourself of any silly preconceptions of what beer is. I think we should all know by now that beer doesn't exist merely as a weak fizzy yellow drink - it can be so much more, and a beer like this proves that. So before you open it, clear your mind, and prepare for flavor, and nothing else.

I opened the Xyauyu up around cellar temperature around 14C (57F), just slightly chilled, but far from cold. I poured it into a stemmed tulip glass gently and a thick, silky, oil-like amber brown beer slid out and crashed heavily into the bottom of the glass. Instantly you could tell that this beer was richly viscous, very oily, and in that Madeira realm. The beer rested in the glass with absolutely no head, and only a couple bubbles along the sides of the glass that should not be confused for carbonation; so few I can count them (24...). Totally calm and peaceful, the Xyauyu chilled in my glass glowing a muted burgundy brown with deep shades of golden mahogany, copper, dark purples and shades of black. It was very pretty, and unsuspecting - especially if you still think beer should be yellow and fizzy.

The nose is tawny and sweet with thick malt sensations, sugary fruits, and an earthy must. Getting my nose right into the glass opened me up to raisins, dates, figs, prunes, syrup, brown sugar, caramelized malts, brandy, strawberry jam, and sweet molasses. It is big and malty rich right away but shows traces of balance by way of sweet leather, earth and tobacco. This beer pours flavor out to you right from the get go.

A gentle tilt of the glass to bring some of this richly golden brown beer onto my palate lit up my face and warmed my soul. The beer so gently glides over your tongue and falls heavily onto your cheeks with a sublimely silky and oily texture that wraps your mouth in a velvety blanket of flavor. All the sweetness of the malts, the ageing, and the hard work burst out at you in a smooth and refined manner.

A honey like stew of dried fruits and fresh jam caress my tongue first and open up to figs, dates, caramel and stewed pears. A syrup like malty sweetness is built into the center of this beer and brings hints of brandy and Orloso sherry. It is smooth and warming and goes down with a silky, boozy touch. Take sips, not gulps. This beer was meant to be savored.

As your palate warms to the sweet malts, ranges of herbs and leather begin to show added complexity, and I swear that I taste tobacco. Its a sweet and gooey earthiness that I can recognize from some of my favorite ripe cigars. Touches of warm nut and back to figs and dates remain powerful in the beer's body, and I am amazed at its construction and overall presence. This really should be considered an Italian-Style Barleywine.

No carbonation, intensely malty sweet, hints of jam, orange zest, berries, stewed figs, port and brandy all come together to form a remarkable beer which should be enjoyed on its own with friends. You would have a tough time drinking an entire bottle to yourself in less than 8 hours. I sipped on my 5 or 6 ounces for probably 40 minutes, and enjoyed every second of it. The refined, but malty sweet flavor and silky and warming finish crate a masterpiece. I can't wait to try the 2010 vintage. This is a beer for the ages.

Pics at: http://wp.me/pNKWo-1eE

4.87/5  rDev +13.3%

I had this fantastic beer at an outdoor cafe in Turin. Served in a large goblet, the beer is a deep reddish brown color. There's no head at all, but the color is rich and has an exceptional depth of varying hues. The aroma is complex and intense. There's a forcefully intense malt aroma. It's grist-like, and very thick. There's also booze-soaked fruit...raisins and dark berries. There's a touch of hops, but it's all about luxurious and sweet malt. The flavor is a masterpiece. The malt is intensely sweet, but the beer never gets cloying. The sweetness is perfectly dovetailed with the alcohol, and a a very restrained bitterness. Chocolate, candy, booze, and lots of grain. Smooth. Enchanting. This is an amazing barleywine!

4.87/5  rDev +13.3%

I picked this bottle up at Well's Wines in Baltimore. Poured slightly warm into a snifter.
A - Deep amber shades of rust w/ no head, but a clinging of brussels lace like port appears.

S - A sweet and pleasantly boozy nose w/ scents of graham cracker w/ a woody dry scent that has a slightly biscuity aroma.

M - Smooth, full of body and dense w/ honey like sweetness on the lips and a dry boozyness as it is swished around in the mouth.

T - Very intense w/ graham cracker and peppery notes w/ a sweet nut and toasted almond buttery flavor. There is subtle stone fruit sweetness and candy like malt flavors all blended to create a unified taste, superb flavor that rests relaxed on the tongue and waits to be swallowed.

D - This is a beautiful barleywine, like none I have ever had. It has flavors that are deep and complex yet does not overpower the palate at all. Very smooth and delightful mouthfeel. This is one to sip and savor. I would seek this one out, it tasted strong, but nowhere near the 13% it contains. Highly recommended.

4.87/5  rDev +13.3%

I had reviewed this a while ago and for some reason the review is now missing. This beer much like it's sister beers is excellent. I really enjoy these with every sip. This one specifically had a red color with no head on top. The smell is very sweet but not in a sickening way. The taste is over the top and almost unexplainable. The mouthfeel is sort of like a sweet wine, it's very soft and very easy to drink for a brew with such a high ABV. Overall I wish these beers were cheaper... I'd love to drink these over and over again. They are masterpieces in my eyes. Well worth trying at least once!

ORIGINAL REVIEW:
Thanks, MasterSki

So different, it's got a Kool-Aid sweetness to it. No alcohol burn at all. Not even like a wine sometimes has. This is something that I've never experienced before. Very pricey and not for regular basis drinking, although I wish it was. It's got a ruby red color fantastic sweet aromas and just perfect for sipping over a long period of time. I love these releases and I will be getting them whenever I can without a doubt.

4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

Pours a cloudy brown that has no head, but seems thick like something you wouldn't normally have. Nose is figs, alcohol, slight dust, some wood. Fruit is there as well. Flavor is magnificent. Rich port and sherry like qualities. Fruit is there. Sweet sugary tones. Just stellar. Feel is smooth and thick on liquid with an extremely low carbonation. This is really in a class of its own. Very little compares to it. Absolutely worth trying. Buy a bottle and share it with a group of anyone you know; beer lover or not.

4.77/5  rDev +10.9%

This is possibly one of the best Barley Wines I have ever had.

Imported through B United, this Italian Beast comes from Birrificio Baladin. And is one of the best and rarest Barley Wines out there period.

It pours into a glass nice copper color alcohol. The smell is sweet of some sort of high end port or sherry, and some what like cognac.

For a beverage which is very similar to the Sam Adams Utopias, this is excellent, and only a fourth of the price.

Most places are selling this awesome barley wine around $45 to $50, and Sam Utopias goes from $160 to $500 depending if your buying it online or not, and during it's season.

Xyauyu is simply one of the best alcoholic beverages I have ever had.

Leave it to the Italians to kick ass at Beer too. Watch out Belgium, your not the only ones who produce excellent products.

4.77/5  rDev +10.9%

Xyauyu' pours syrupy with a dark copper hue and garnet highlights. There is no head whatsoever, and the viscosity leaves long, thick legs on the Arrogant Bastard snifter.

The aroma includes caramel, crème sherry, dates, figs, and honey all up front and center.

The sweetness of this beer is exquisite, with ample dark fruit flavors that follow the nose. Nut flavors come out with some bitterness. Meanwhile sherry and honey maintain a consistent theme. The finish is light and quick. Warmth brings out a progression of the above flavors, each more pronounced than initially encountered. Vanilla and oak are found late.

There is a hint of carbonation in this dense, super smooth, syrupy beer. The alcohol is high and expected, but not hot. Residual sugars are left on one’s lips.

This is undoubtedly a sipping beer. It has the nuances that first turned me on to Barleywine. One can enjoy this equally well while reading, during contemplation, for dessert or as a digestive. This would even work well for a romantic evening.

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

Gold version. Vintage 2005. Serving date 2009-02-14. Served in medium sized wine glass.

Presentation: 500 ml sturdy bottle with golden letters on the label. Presented in a black cardboard box without any inscriptions whatsoever. Comes with a small leaflet with some short notes of which I can only understand fragments (it's written in Italian, which I don't speak). The bottle is sealed using a regular wine cork (not a champagne cork), and I think it's authentic cork, not synthetic. I couldn't find any freshness date on the bottle, but I wouldn't worry to much about that with this one.

I've tried to gather some information about this beer and its production procedures, but I have only been able to find small parts of info. Apparently, the Xyauyù is made in three versions, copper (might be bronze, not really sure), silver and gold. After primary fermentation it matures using a method originally used in the production of sherry and port wine. During the maturation, that lasts for about 2,5 years, the beer is exposed to oxygen, causing oxidation. The three versions differ in the degree of oxidation - the gold version is the most oxidized one. I'm not sure if the vintage year on the label indicates brewing year or bottling year, but I think it's brewing year, which means this one's been bottled for about 1,5 - 2 years. The ABV in the gold version is 13,5%.

Appearance: The cork comes off with a minimal pop, indicating low levels of carbonation. The cork really smells more of wine than beer. When poured, the beer has a very nice, glowing amber color with red hues, and is a bit hazy as a result of big amounts of very small, almost microscopic, floaties. The first pour results in a minimal amount of bubbles on top of the liquid, around the edges of the glass. However, this is no head, not even foam-like. Rather, it's the kind of bubbles you sometimes get from pouring fruit juice or some wines. The second pour creates no bubbles at all. Actually, I didn't get the beer to produce any bubbles, no matter how hard I swirled my glass. However, when it's swirled it clings onto the glass like a cognac or a wine - a great visual quality.

Smell: An intense smell of sweet fruits, raisins, and caramel hits the noose, accompanied by a sharp alcoholic twang. Notes of wood (perhaps oak) are there as well. The smell of this one is really heavy, dense and sweet. It's actually more reminiscent of a strong dessert wine, like sherry or port, than beer.

Taste: More sweetness: Fruits, mostly overripe plums, raisins, molasses and perhaps some brown sugar and honey-like sweetness as well. There's is also a flavor I have a hard time identifying; the best I can do is describing it as a general candy-like flavor. These massive sweet flavors are balanced by some spices, oak and a more nutty earth flavor. The alcohol is rather prominent and provides a pleasant warmth. In the finish there's more sweet fruits and raisins, but also a gentle but distinct bitterness. Hot alcohol finishes things off. All in all, this one is very reminiscent of a sherry or a port, with big and bold strong vinous flavors, but there is still something about it that is characteristically beer-like, and I must say that I have a hard time depicting how great it actually tastes. The sheer uniqueness of it is worth a top grade, but since it's not only interesting and unique, but also tastes incredibly good, I think awarding it with 5 for taste is motivated.

Mouthfeel: It has basically no carbonation, and thus it's really smooth. Medium body, very viscous and slightly chewy.

Drinkability: This one really pushes the boundaries for beer, and for what beer can be, almost transcending them occupying parts of the realm previously solely reserved for strong and sweet fortified wines. And I would say it could go head to head with any high quality dessert wine - and come out on top - when it comes to food pairings most often associated with sherry, port wines or Madeira - or as an aperitif for that matter. It's really that unique and amazing. Everything about it really breathes of luxury and delicacy; from its elegant presentation, and glowing appearance, to its vinous aromas and flavors and its distinct and bold taste character in general. Although, I constantly compare this with wine and use wine as a measure to describe it, I must say it's still a beer with some characteristics you probably wouldn't find in a wine. I would say that this only makes it better, but considering how far away this is from your average ale, or barleywine for that matter, I don't think I can see my self being in the mood for this one that often. I guess it's for that "special occasion" or when you're in the mood for something out of the ordinary.

Lastly, I shared a 500 ml bottle with my girlfriend and both of us actually felt it was a bit too much. So I would recommend having it in small amounts - it's a great sipper.

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

Popped this bad boy for my b-day, which is also thanksgiving this year. Picked it up at Belmont a few years ago, on clearance no less, but still crazy expensive.

Poured into my Delirium snifter, Xyauyu is still and syrupy, a ruddy chestnut. There's a wisp of carbonation, but it's fleeting. I'm gonna rate this one basically as a desert drink rather then any type of normal beer.

Smell is extreme, I really don't know where to begin, absolutely unlike any other beer I've ever had, and I thought I've pretty much had them all, at least stylistically. Most like brandy, but more of a honeyed vibe, like fortified wine. Big time cured fruit, some alcohol vapors.

Taste is similarly desert wine like, but way more honey then the prune, and exceptionally smooth, save for a slight burn of the belly. It's really exceptional, like what I assume most people that have never had mead would expect honey wine to taste like. I wouldn't be surprised if they added a lot of honey or some other sugar after the primary fermentation and cold crashed it to keep the dangerously high residual sugars - I can taste the diabetes and can't feel my feet!

Mouthfeel is pretty slick, not nearly as heavy as it looks, actually very light on it's feet, perhaps a bit unctuous.

Drinkability is tough. This is a super intense drink, with a formidable strength. On the other hand, it's incredibility good. Then again, it's super expensive and a (now 6 year old) one-off. I'm calling it good. Absolutely memorable, one of the best beer experiences I've had, ever.

4.7/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

10/15/2011

2005 vintage (13% ABV) in a snifter. There's a soft pop when the cork is removed.

A: Pours a very attractive reddish brown. There are a few small bubbles resulting from the force of the pour, but there is no apparent carbonation. A gentle swirl of the glass brings the liquid up the sides, leaving a clear collar that cascades down in small beads.

S: Oxidation is redolent of leather and sherry with nutty notes. Notes of brown sugar and maple are pronounced, blending wonderfully with date, prune, plum, and grape. There's a good deal of caramel and there's an aspect that reminds me of Grand Marnier.

T: Maple, brown sugar, and caramel combine harmoniously with leather and sherry-like oxidation. Dark fruit pervades the flavor, imparting plum and grape. There's also notes of orange liqueur and date, as well as earth and a hint of tobacco. Very nice.

M: Lower full in body and completely still. The mouthfeel is sticky and smooth with ample alcohol warming on the palate.

Overall: I originally thought I liked this less than gold and silver, but after pulling the wine stopper out of the bottle and enjoying 5 ounces a few days later, I'm not so sure anymore. Fantastic.

4.69/5  rDev +9.1%

2005 vintage.

Aroma:Smells like a brandy, also smells like samichlaus. Lots of malty flavors, dates, raisins, plums. Hot alcohol.

Appearance:Dark burgundy in color. Lots of sediment floating around.

Taste:This is hugely sweet. Hazelnuts, raisins, dates, and maple syrup.

Mouthfeel:Hugely viscous and syrupy, very smooth.

Drinkability:This is a very unique beer, reminiscent of samichlaus and utopias, but smoother. It's a quite delicious sipper.

4.69/5  rDev +9.1%

2004 version...

A: Pours an auburn/caramel, light maple syrup color. It's translucent, but there are tons of floaties in there. There is absolutely no head to this beer at all.

S: Smells of honey, dates, a touch of funk, and some earth. The alcohol is there, but it's hidden under the honey and middle eastern fruits.

T: Ohh my! This beer is delicious. It's huge honey, sweet dates, raisins, and caramel. I'm blown away. There is no funk in the taste at all. It's smooth and sweet and the booze is non-existent.

M: Medium bodied beer. This beer coats the palate and last forever.

O: Fantastic. This is one of the best beers I've had in a long while. The price point on this beer is high, but it's worth it. I'd buy it again if I ever see it.

4.66/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured by the glass from a 2004 bottled version of this beer. At Max's...

The beer pours a slightly cloudy, brownish amber color, with no head retention to speak of. This beer is completely still. On the nose, you know you're in for a treat. I get considerable brown sugar, caramel, light chocolate, fig and rum raisans. There's a hint of nuts and sherry as well in this lightly oxidized beer. If anything, the beer is even better on the palate. Also, while fairly sweet, the oxidation helps to counter that sweetness nicely. Otherwise, this is an increadibly rich and complex beer, with the brown sugar and chocolate taking center stage. This beer is just lip smacking delicious! Mouthfeel is full and very, very long... like drinking the finest XO cognac or aged vintage port. Incredible!

Age has treated this beer very well... an absolute bargian by the glass at Max's; $9 for a 5 ounce pour. I'll probably have to order another.

4.65/5  rDev +8.1%

Viggo and i split on this bottle during a recent beer shopping trip in buffalo. picked this up at premier gourmet.

1pt 9oz corked bottle. 2004 vintage. label says 13%abv.

pours completely still crystal clear reddish brown, showing a nice garnet colour when held to the light.

aroma is great. smells more like a port or mead than beer. loads of fruit. raisin, date, fig, cranberry, cherry, currant. alcohol. bit of red wine. vanilla. caramel. honey. maybe a bit of maple too.

taste is great. much like the aroma, there's a lot of port and mead here. lots of big fruity character. light alcohol. caramel. vanilla. honey. bready malt. very low, almost non-existent bitterness. nice sweetness without seeming syrupy. the alcohol seems to have mellowed nicely too, not showing much.

mouthfeel is good. no carbonation at all. medium body.

drinkability is great. excellent fruity depth. nice balance. hides its alcohol well. much like a mead or port, it's a bit of a sipper, but one you'd be happy to enjoy for an evening. great stuff.

4.64/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm not normally a ticker, but I was lucky enough to get a relatively small sample of this at a recent tasting and, well, I don't know whether I'll see this beer again but in a few years when I've got more money I will definitely want to remember this bad-boy.

The beer pours completely still, heck, it even has a wine cork. Now, this isn't an uncarbonated beer, with some residual CO2, this beer is as flat as wine.

But that actually works in its favor. Another beer geek at the tasting described it as "the best port he ever had", and that was a guy who likes port! And while I see the gloss to a nice tawny port, to me the dominant flavor was maple syrup. Just rich layers of 100% grade A maple syrup, the Canada brown, if you will. That was followed by some dark stone fruits, like prunes and lighter plums, coupled with some cherries and apricots . . . but all of them dried and candied in maple syrup.

What was very remarkable is that there wasn't the slightest hint of alcohol. I would have almost welcomed a bit of alcoholic heat to dry out the ending, but none was to be found -- just a building sweetness.

Wow, an outstanding beer. One that I could see aging and busting out for a very special occasion. This beer will certainly have cross-appeal to wine loves, assuming that they dig the porto end of things. A great experience!

4.63/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A 2005 cracked on New Year's Eve 2014, the eve of its tenth birthday. Poured into a Bourbon Barrel Temptress 2014 snifter. Purchased off a shelf the same day, cooled in a 40 degree room for 5ish hours before being opened.

Appearance: Completely flat, no head, translucent copper to amber body. Thick and syrupy, clings to the glass. Exactly what I was looking for in this beer.

Smell: Boozy, lots of dark fruit, mostly raisins, with prominent vanilla and oak notes as well. Very port-like. Which makes sense considering the age and style of this beer.

Taste: Raisin juice. Mixed with molasses. Hints of toffee and vanilla come through, and the raisin flavors stick around after everything else is gone. Dried figs in there too. Some boozy heat, but not too much. My mom couldn't tell it apart from port. Definitely a lot of similarities, that oxidation really worked well here.

Mouthfeel: Flat flat flat. Not even a hint of carbonation, but I really wasn't expecting or wanting any. Sticky and thick, this really seals my lips shut. Long linger on the palate, consumed by the raisin and fig flavors.

Overall: Not quite as complex as Thomas Hardy or Utopia, but a lot of similar flavors going on for sure. I love these flat super-aged beers. Probably would have been better off with the JW Lees which was a quarter of the price, but I'm very happy to have tried this.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Xyauyù Etichetta Rame (Copper) from Birrificio Le Baladin