Baladin Nora - Birrificio Le Baladin

Baladin NoraBaladin Nora

Birrificio Le Baladin visit their website
Italy

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  6.80% ABV

This Egyptian inspired brew is spiced with ginger, myrrh, and orange peel ... very complex.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-01-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Baladin Nora Alström Bros

pale strong with herbs floating around at the bottom of the bottle. pour is a cloudy golden. thought i was getting a saison at first. but the head was leaner. nose was very herbal. quite of bit of licorice and peppery hops. palate was just that. pepper, licorice, coriander and a bit of an astringent citrus sweet. extremely herbal. undetectable abv.

rtepiak, Jul 21, 2010
3.38/5  rDev -15.9%

This brewery and this particular beer have been highly commended so I was really looking forward to it.

This is a pre-hopping style beer and honey and spices are used to balance out the malt.

This works quite well only that the main aroma is honey both in smell and taste and the other spices were hard to tell apart.

In all a good beer but not living up to the hype.

DerBayer, Apr 29, 2010
4.03/5  rDev +0.2%

750 ml bottle poured into my large Gulden Draak tulip, Baladin Nora is a slightly hazy light orange with a orange tinged off-white head leaving scattered, foamy lace. Really interesting cap, with a plastic liner that reminds me of a stelvin.

Smell has a soft, delicate sweetness, orange-creamsicle, perhaps a faint incense quality as well.

Taste is complex, but the adjuncts are really well integrated without standing out to strongly in anyone direction, with the orange the most dominant, although I suspect it's amplified by fruity esters. Not sure that I can pick up the other spices to well, which is a good thing, although they're surely providing some delicate complexity, which has impressive depth.

Mouthfeel is very soft and smooth, but with a dryness to it I attribute to the spices.

Drinkability is good, a really nice Belgian style ale, complex without being overwhelming to the palate, digestible and smooth. Still, one 750ml bottle is plenty.

ccrida, Mar 21, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +15.7%

On tap at the Bavarian Lodge in Lisle, IL

Poured a moderate gold with a few orange highlights. Plenty of visible carbonation bubbles. The nose is full of spices, along with some citrus and a tiny bit of earthiness. Flavor takes it up another notch with loads of well-balanced spice and intricacies. Very complex. Mouthfeel is good with the right amount of carbonation. Excellent drinkability, as the brew is intense yet quite quaffable.

Thorpe429, Mar 15, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -6%

A: Cloudy orange color, with no head at all and no lacing to speak of.
S: Aroma of myrrh (just kidding). Bread and ginger.
T: Flavor starts with fresh bread and progresses rapidly to strong ginger and lemonade.
M: Medium body.
D: Interesting, but difficult to finish. Is this really a beer?

Travlr, Jan 05, 2010
4.7/5  rDev +16.9%

From notes 9-14-09

Eye: This one pours a very hazy, copper-amber-orange color. Body is active with carbonation, and the head fromation and retention is decent. I'm looking at an off white head, creamy in texture, and smallish in size. Not really much to complain about, head could be a bit bigger, but this is fine. It works. Looks nice overall...combined with the aroma this one looks very appetizing.

Nose: Huge nose, fills the room. Big sweet malt aroma fills the room as it is poured. Up close this thing is spiced...not absolutely what spice it is right off the bat, but I can definitely tell that this has something in it that don't come from fermentation or "normal" ingredients...Can't quite put a finger on what this is...reminds me of an incense cone I had that my brother got me from germany...it used to go inside a little man that was poised rolling round a barrel of beer smoking a pipe, the smoke came out his mouth....Well it smells like that in a way, wood, but not oak, more like pine, but fresh and green. Not citrusy pine either. I love the smell of this beer. Underneath, if you look there is a sweet malt backbone. I really like the way this one smells.

Tongue: More malt comes out in the flavor than in the nose. That spice is still there. The oakiness or that fragrant incense dominates the finish. The middle of this one seems a little bland, but the front and the finish make up for it. Sweet and malty upfront, kinda just gone in the middle and at the end that incense, piney oakish flavor. I'm sersioulsy thinking that this is gonna be on my top list for spiced beers, different than pumpkin ales though. This is completely differnt. I really like this one. Great. Highly recommended if you're looking for something different. A step away from beer yet at the same time very beerish. Awesome!

Feel and Drinkability: Body is medium-heavy with low carbonation. Alcohol seems to creep through a bit. Low carbonation helps to complete this one. Upon closer inspection I think that the warmth from the alcohol and the spices-especially the oakiness/piney/fragrant incense-gives off a minty type of deal, like a menthol cigarette, but not as obnoxious or as strong. This is one that I'll gladly drink the rest of and will be on the look out for again. Such a unique beer, if you see this grab it.

becktone, Oct 28, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +4%

At the Calgary distributor's tasting for Baladin's products we were all at a loss for what the heck this beer could be, as our knowledge of Italian was less than adequate to read their brochure. Thus the most we could get out of this beer was that it was somehow "Egyptian". In retrospect I am now aware that it is a herbed ale with ginger, rose etc. etc. Yet at the time of my reviewing the tastes were somewhat less than distinguishable

Appearance: Dark blonde coloration, opaque with a white and light head and minimal lacing

Nose: Slightly wine-like characteristics infused with light ginger notes, light citrus fruits as well

Taste: Coriander and peppery spices dominate, taste of alcohol comes through in a balsamic vinegar finish, slightly drying at the end

Mouthfeel: Full yet tart, enough carbonation to keep the beer interesting

Drinkability: Not a particularily memorable ale, and not knowing the additives did nothing to aid the drinking experience

robertjbell, Aug 21, 2009
4.15/5  rDev +3.2%

Split a large bottle at Tap and Table in Emmaus, PA. They say the beer has some Egyptian inpriation, but it basically drinks and tastes like a spiced Belgian pale ale. It's very smooth and light on the palate with obvious orange peel and a white pepper finish. There are hint of ginger along with the vanilla spice and white bread. If you don't mind the spice, it's worth a try.

tempest, Jul 30, 2009
3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

Pours a cloudy orange-gold with a fizzy white head that disappears rather quickly. Smells very spicy, with loads of ginger and something else that I'm guessing is myrrh. Slightly citric, floral, and with an overall bready malt character. The same spices are strong in the taste as well, along with floral notes and some earthy character. Quite tangy overall with a dry finish. Light-medium body that is pretty effervescent. Interesting to be sure, though overspiced.

philipquarles, Jul 23, 2009
3.68/5  rDev -8.5%

Served from a bottle purchased at a great little store in Mantua, Italy while on tour there on or about 6 19 09. Label, in Italian, mentions that it is made with an Egyptian theme. Interesting.

A Opaque, light orange body under a minimal head.

S Soft grains, some spices, kind of a wheat taste. Nice.

T Taste of some spices (coriander?) with minimal malt and hops profiles. Nice taste, nothing that is capturing my imagination though.

M Moderate thickness, feel with a beefy 6.8 per cent ABV, some interesting tastes.

D Fine drinkability but this is not my favorite Baladin.

adamette, Jul 03, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from one of those sweet-looking bottles this brewery favours. Rich orange colour, cloudy, not much head but pretty substantial lacing.

Very floral nose with grapefruit pith and honeycomb. Slightly tripel-y, with a belgian yeast/white wine character. Very interesting.

In no particluar order; pepper, grapefruit pith, tonic water/quinine, alcohol, licorice, muscat, cloves, orange flower water. Some graininess and an overbearing whack of floral, perfume sweetness in the finish, the latter of which keeps it from being a 5, although I'm sure that's the myrrh and it was intended... just a bit much for me personally. Still sensational overall.

BTW, I had a glass straight out of the fridge earlier and didn't taste half that stuff - if you have some, very lightly chilled is the way to go. Medium-full mouthfeel and enough carbonation so as the insane array of flavours don't linger too long and wear out their welcome. That is, if you're drinking it without food.

I tried it for the first time last week with a Spanish dish of roast pork loin stuffed with figs & prunes... probably the best food & beer match I ever had. Would do amazingly well with real sharp cheeses and the fruit perserves that are often served alongside, I reckon. It's expensive but I plan to keep a bottle on hand at all times.

Parrotshake, May 02, 2009
3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

This pours a very murky dark orange colour with a generous head. A lot of sediment. Nice lacing.

Wow. The aroma really hits you. The ginger especially and other spice notes. Unfortunately it reminds me of the moisturizer my wife uses.

Lots of spices. The rose water is much stronger. Clove, ginger, is there anything that is not going on in here?

Medium bodied. Some sweetness

I can't say that I understand this beer but I like it, just don't know how much I could drink.

Macca, Apr 28, 2009
3.83/5  rDev -4.7%

drank on 3.3.09 at home while working my ass off for a project that is due in a few days - I deserve a good beer at midnight. I acquired this beer through a trade with ineedabeer, thanks for the Nora. you gotta love beer trading.

ok - so I was not sure what to expect with this beer. I don't know if I have ever had an Italian 'microbrew'. But I have heard good things, so I figured I'd check it out.

To start off, when I opened the bottle, it unaggressively foamed over, so I quickly poured it into my glass. It poured a cloudy (and somewhat chunky) brownish, golden/peach color. With the bottle foam over I expected more head, but it was average and didn't last very long. It dissipated rather quickly which was slightly disappointing. The smell was a bit more mild than I was hoping for based on the style and ingredients. there was a mild citrusy smell, light malt base and some spice in the nose. There wasn't enough spice to truly discern the orange and ginger that was quoted, but you can tell something was there. maybe it was the myrh since I couldn't tell what it was. who knows.

Sorry to say it - but a bit underwhelmed with this beer. a bit spicy up front, but I still don't get that ginger - if I do - it is totally mild and behind the scenes. I get the orange and citrus in the taste, which is nice. The mouthfeel is creamy and palate coating at first, but leaves a sour and somewhat damp and sticky feeling in my mouth. A bit of phlegm hanging out in there which at first wasn't too bad, but is sort of getting annoying.

Ok - still not sure what to think. drinkability is pretty good (less the phlegm). I like it - then I don't like it - then I like it again. worth a try.

Hophead101, Mar 04, 2009
3.48/5  rDev -13.4%

Purchased at Whole Foods on the Bowery with a bottle of Sella Del Diavolo and Nice Chouffe 08. Poured into a Lucifer Snifter. First impressions: the color is definitely a Saison. Orange-amber hue with the color of clover honey. Thin, pure white head with persistent retention- some lacing. The aroma is pungently bitter herbs and orange. This is certainly a good looking beer but something suprising is how little effervescence there is in this- it's very dry and the effect is somewhat flat on the tongue. Flavor throws a kind of a curve ball too. It was barnyardy, hay-like and with a strong perfume of myrrh. I know this beer is brewed with an ancient Egyptian grain and this drinks like an ancient recipe. I drank this solo and I think it's better suited to drinking with food than enjoying on it's own.

VIPbeer, Feb 01, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -3%

Had this on-tap at the Brick Store in Atlanta.

Pours a cloudy orange color with a pillowy two-finger head. The head recedes quickly into a thin layer of bubbles on top that leaves decent lacing.

Smells of light oranges and lighter spices. There's not a whole lot of aroma to be had here.

Tastes more potent than it smells. Light citrus flavors are joined by light spices and a husky malt flavor with a mildly bitter ending. There's a lot going on here, but somehow it manages not to be a train wreck. The flavor profile seems to change with each sip, and it took me about halfway through the glass to really get a grip on this beer.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a good thickness with good carbonation and goes down smoothly.

Drinkability is good, mostly because it seems to change with every sip.

Overall this is one interesting beer, although I'm on the fence about how much I like it. I'm glad I gave it a try, but I think one will be enough.

glid02, Jan 17, 2009
4.03/5  rDev +0.2%

On tap at the Uber last night. Have not seen this on draft a whole lot, so it was fun to try this beer in this format.

The beer pours a honey gold color with very good head retention and lacing. I don't get a lot on the nose, just some light honey, spice and a touch of bitter hops. The flavors on the palate generally replicate the nose, except for the most part, the predominant flavor seems to be honey and gingerale. There is also some underlying hoppy bitterness, which in my opinion enhances the drinkability in this beer. The beer is pretty light on the palate, and drinkability is not bad at all. Were it not $8 a pop for a 12 ounce glass, I would have considered getting another.

Quite the holiday treat and a nice beer to see on draft in the NW.

John_M, Jan 03, 2009
3.38/5  rDev -15.9%

The aroma is sweet with yeast, malt, spices, and fruit. The appearance is hazy amber gold. The head is decent. The flavor is like the aroma. The palate is thin. Overall it's OK but nothing special. This is another disappointment with a nice bottle but too expensive for what it is.

nick76, Dec 28, 2008
4.15/5  rDev +3.2%

Biological beer Egyptian inspired : Kamut wheat is the same used on the pharaons banquets, it contains also Ethiopian resin. Spiced with ginger, myrrh. Raw sugar in the recipe,hop is minimum and included only because law requested (to call it beer).
Other reviews well explain the taste,all I can add is the notable drinkability,you can justify it with the curiosity but when you are aware of the 6.8 ABV all you can say is : good beer.

MilanoItaly, Dec 21, 2008
3.93/5  rDev -2.2%

On-tap at GingerMan in NYC...
Pours an effervescent, light-golden hue with slight carbonation...
Fruity, sweet aroma..
Taste complemented the smell... Nuances of ripe, green apples, grapes, and candies...
Light-to-medium bodied mouthfeel...
Decent drinkability to match...
This one wasn't over the top...
Good stuff...

dsa7783, Dec 08, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +2%

750ml from Pizzeria Delfina

A: Hazy opaque orangish yellow; almost looks like a dark Hefe in the sun.

S: Nothing too notable or strong. A bit of yeast with some clove/banana, some lemon, a bit of muskiness

T/M: Black pepper, slightly sour citrus. The pepper really is there, unlike anything I've had. Medium bodied, refreshing. Overall a very good beer to have with our pizza

D: This one was pretty drinkable; nice spice, refreshing. Glad I tried this.

abfraser, Oct 27, 2008
3.53/5  rDev -12.2%

An Egyptian styled brew. Brewed in 05. sampled 11/07.

A: Poured a hazy copper orange color with a huge fluffy white head that slowly diminished. Visible carbonation was moderate while small bran flake yeast sediment collected on the bottom of the glass.

S: The nose was yeasty with light bread, a touch of lemon sourness and muskiness.

T: The initial flavor was a blast of lactic sourness, lemons, and light bread notes. There was a huge citrusy sourness flavor along with coriander (pepper) spicing notes. The finish was dry bitter sour citrus with a moderate fade along with some peppery notes. There was a nice tangy spiciness as well. The flavor was yeast dominated but rather one-dimensional. Still a good beer overall, yeasty, with a nice spiciness and wheat palate.

M: The mouthful was oily, with sour citrus (oranges/tangerines) gracing the tongue.

D: moderate drinkability but failed to leave me wanting more.

beerthulhu, Aug 20, 2008
4.8/5  rDev +19.4%

S: Interesting. Was a bit colder than it should have been when I started, and didn't really give up much to the nose. As it opened a malty sweetness became apparant. Didn't really catch the spices in the aroma, though.

M: Light, fizzy.

T: My first reaction was... celery seed? Even cold the spices came through nicely. I don't know what's in there, exactly, but it sure is good. There's a hint of sourness in the background but nothing on the level of a Lambic. Maybe a little coriander in there? Very interesting stuff. Like a Flemish Red crossed with Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray. Finishes very dry. Delicious, super-drinkable. I don't usually associate spiced beers with "summer brews" but this one was crazy refreshing on a blazing hot day. Would go great with Indian food, I think. Definitely be buying more of this one...

sanhedrin, Jul 24, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +11.2%

I've never tasted a beer quite like this.

The smell was sour and alcoholic so I assumed this was going to be bitter and astringent, like an abbey ale gone bad. I was surprised to find the beer light and refreshing, hinting to be more like a Flemish sour beer with a dry finish. The finish may be a bit too dry, leaving me with a sort of weird thirst after each sip.

Very easy to drink with complex flavors slowly coming to the forefront the more I tasted. Light on the tongue with a sudden blast of bubbles as it hits the top of your mouth. It would be very easy to finish the bomber in one sitting.

nightcrawler, Jul 02, 2008
3.78/5  rDev -6%

This bottle was purchased at Winchester Wine and Spirits. Poured in to a wide mouthed wine glass a hazy orange, with little heading, and lively carbonation. Smell has essences of honey, chamomile, ginger, cinnamon and wild flowers. All in all very spicy in aroma. Taste is more of the same, with a prickly spiced character that curiously sneaks around the palate. Body is on the light side, with very little alcohol present in the taste. I must say that it was a bit difficult to drink. The spice and overall huge complexity make it one that I would drink in small samples. Cheers

jamie2dope, Jun 30, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +5%

This beer pours a nice golden amber color. An off-white head disappeared quickly but left a trace of itself. It smell earthy and spicy, but not overpowering. There is a hint of a woody smell. The flavor is wonderful. Not too sweet, but a little sweetness. I taste orange, but not citrusy. It definitely has an earthy taste upfront followed by a mild herby spiciness. It is medium bodied and nicely carbonated. Definitely a quality beer. For some reason it makes me crave Jamaican Jerk Chicken.

tekk9, May 26, 2008