2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Baladin Nora - Birrificio Le Baladin

Baladin NoraBaladin Nora

Birrificio Le Baladin visit their website
Italy

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  6.80% ABV

This Egyptian inspired brew is spiced with ginger, myrrh, and orange peel ... very complex.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-01-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Baladin Nora Alström Bros
Ratings: 226 | Reviews: 126 | Show All Ratings:
Parrotshake

Australia

4.2/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from one of those sweet-looking bottles this brewery favours. Rich orange colour, cloudy, not much head but pretty substantial lacing.

Very floral nose with grapefruit pith and honeycomb. Slightly tripel-y, with a belgian yeast/white wine character. Very interesting.

In no particluar order; pepper, grapefruit pith, tonic water/quinine, alcohol, licorice, muscat, cloves, orange flower water. Some graininess and an overbearing whack of floral, perfume sweetness in the finish, the latter of which keeps it from being a 5, although I'm sure that's the myrrh and it was intended... just a bit much for me personally. Still sensational overall.

BTW, I had a glass straight out of the fridge earlier and didn't taste half that stuff - if you have some, very lightly chilled is the way to go. Medium-full mouthfeel and enough carbonation so as the insane array of flavours don't linger too long and wear out their welcome. That is, if you're drinking it without food.

I tried it for the first time last week with a Spanish dish of roast pork loin stuffed with figs & prunes... probably the best food & beer match I ever had. Would do amazingly well with real sharp cheeses and the fruit perserves that are often served alongside, I reckon. It's expensive but I plan to keep a bottle on hand at all times.

05-02-2009 10:09:42 | More by Parrotshake
Macca

Australia

3.75/5  rDev -7.4%

This pours a very murky dark orange colour with a generous head. A lot of sediment. Nice lacing.

Wow. The aroma really hits you. The ginger especially and other spice notes. Unfortunately it reminds me of the moisturizer my wife uses.

Lots of spices. The rose water is much stronger. Clove, ginger, is there anything that is not going on in here?

Medium bodied. Some sweetness

I can't say that I understand this beer but I like it, just don't know how much I could drink.

04-28-2009 09:23:11 | More by Macca
Hophead101

3.83/5  rDev -5.4%

drank on 3.3.09 at home while working my ass off for a project that is due in a few days - I deserve a good beer at midnight. I acquired this beer through a trade with ineedabeer, thanks for the Nora. you gotta love beer trading.

ok - so I was not sure what to expect with this beer. I don't know if I have ever had an Italian 'microbrew'. But I have heard good things, so I figured I'd check it out.

To start off, when I opened the bottle, it unaggressively foamed over, so I quickly poured it into my glass. It poured a cloudy (and somewhat chunky) brownish, golden/peach color. With the bottle foam over I expected more head, but it was average and didn't last very long. It dissipated rather quickly which was slightly disappointing. The smell was a bit more mild than I was hoping for based on the style and ingredients. there was a mild citrusy smell, light malt base and some spice in the nose. There wasn't enough spice to truly discern the orange and ginger that was quoted, but you can tell something was there. maybe it was the myrh since I couldn't tell what it was. who knows.

Sorry to say it - but a bit underwhelmed with this beer. a bit spicy up front, but I still don't get that ginger - if I do - it is totally mild and behind the scenes. I get the orange and citrus in the taste, which is nice. The mouthfeel is creamy and palate coating at first, but leaves a sour and somewhat damp and sticky feeling in my mouth. A bit of phlegm hanging out in there which at first wasn't too bad, but is sort of getting annoying.

Ok - still not sure what to think. drinkability is pretty good (less the phlegm). I like it - then I don't like it - then I like it again. worth a try.

03-04-2009 05:40:49 | More by Hophead101
VIPbeer

3.48/5  rDev -14.1%

Purchased at Whole Foods on the Bowery with a bottle of Sella Del Diavolo and Nice Chouffe 08. Poured into a Lucifer Snifter. First impressions: the color is definitely a Saison. Orange-amber hue with the color of clover honey. Thin, pure white head with persistent retention- some lacing. The aroma is pungently bitter herbs and orange. This is certainly a good looking beer but something suprising is how little effervescence there is in this- it's very dry and the effect is somewhat flat on the tongue. Flavor throws a kind of a curve ball too. It was barnyardy, hay-like and with a strong perfume of myrrh. I know this beer is brewed with an ancient Egyptian grain and this drinks like an ancient recipe. I drank this solo and I think it's better suited to drinking with food than enjoying on it's own.

02-01-2009 02:31:29 | More by VIPbeer
glid02

Georgia

3.9/5  rDev -3.7%

Had this on-tap at the Brick Store in Atlanta.

Pours a cloudy orange color with a pillowy two-finger head. The head recedes quickly into a thin layer of bubbles on top that leaves decent lacing.

Smells of light oranges and lighter spices. There's not a whole lot of aroma to be had here.

Tastes more potent than it smells. Light citrus flavors are joined by light spices and a husky malt flavor with a mildly bitter ending. There's a lot going on here, but somehow it manages not to be a train wreck. The flavor profile seems to change with each sip, and it took me about halfway through the glass to really get a grip on this beer.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a good thickness with good carbonation and goes down smoothly.

Drinkability is good, mostly because it seems to change with every sip.

Overall this is one interesting beer, although I'm on the fence about how much I like it. I'm glad I gave it a try, but I think one will be enough.

01-17-2009 05:20:38 | More by glid02
johnmichaelsen

Oregon

4.03/5  rDev -0.5%

On tap at the Uber last night. Have not seen this on draft a whole lot, so it was fun to try this beer in this format.

The beer pours a honey gold color with very good head retention and lacing. I don't get a lot on the nose, just some light honey, spice and a touch of bitter hops. The flavors on the palate generally replicate the nose, except for the most part, the predominant flavor seems to be honey and gingerale. There is also some underlying hoppy bitterness, which in my opinion enhances the drinkability in this beer. The beer is pretty light on the palate, and drinkability is not bad at all. Were it not $8 a pop for a 12 ounce glass, I would have considered getting another.

Quite the holiday treat and a nice beer to see on draft in the NW.

01-03-2009 20:04:31 | More by johnmichaelsen
nick76

3.38/5  rDev -16.5%

The aroma is sweet with yeast, malt, spices, and fruit. The appearance is hazy amber gold. The head is decent. The flavor is like the aroma. The palate is thin. Overall it's OK but nothing special. This is another disappointment with a nice bottle but too expensive for what it is.

12-28-2008 21:01:24 | More by nick76
MilanoItaly

Italy

4.15/5  rDev +2.5%

Biological beer Egyptian inspired : Kamut wheat is the same used on the pharaons banquets, it contains also Ethiopian resin. Spiced with ginger, myrrh. Raw sugar in the recipe,hop is minimum and included only because law requested (to call it beer).
Other reviews well explain the taste,all I can add is the notable drinkability,you can justify it with the curiosity but when you are aware of the 6.8 ABV all you can say is : good beer.

12-21-2008 11:31:53 | More by MilanoItaly
dsa7783

3.93/5  rDev -3%

On-tap at GingerMan in NYC...
Pours an effervescent, light-golden hue with slight carbonation...
Fruity, sweet aroma..
Taste complemented the smell... Nuances of ripe, green apples, grapes, and candies...
Light-to-medium bodied mouthfeel...
Decent drinkability to match...
This one wasn't over the top...
Good stuff...

12-08-2008 01:07:38 | More by dsa7783
abfraser

4.1/5  rDev +1.2%

750ml from Pizzeria Delfina

A: Hazy opaque orangish yellow; almost looks like a dark Hefe in the sun.

S: Nothing too notable or strong. A bit of yeast with some clove/banana, some lemon, a bit of muskiness

T/M: Black pepper, slightly sour citrus. The pepper really is there, unlike anything I've had. Medium bodied, refreshing. Overall a very good beer to have with our pizza

D: This one was pretty drinkable; nice spice, refreshing. Glad I tried this.

10-27-2008 01:51:49 | More by abfraser
beerthulhu

3.53/5  rDev -12.8%

An Egyptian styled brew. Brewed in 05. sampled 11/07.

A: Poured a hazy copper orange color with a huge fluffy white head that slowly diminished. Visible carbonation was moderate while small bran flake yeast sediment collected on the bottom of the glass.

S: The nose was yeasty with light bread, a touch of lemon sourness and muskiness.

T: The initial flavor was a blast of lactic sourness, lemons, and light bread notes. There was a huge citrusy sourness flavor along with coriander (pepper) spicing notes. The finish was dry bitter sour citrus with a moderate fade along with some peppery notes. There was a nice tangy spiciness as well. The flavor was yeast dominated but rather one-dimensional. Still a good beer overall, yeasty, with a nice spiciness and wheat palate.

M: The mouthful was oily, with sour citrus (oranges/tangerines) gracing the tongue.

D: moderate drinkability but failed to leave me wanting more.

08-19-2008 23:28:12 | More by beerthulhu
sanhedrin

4.8/5  rDev +18.5%

S: Interesting. Was a bit colder than it should have been when I started, and didn't really give up much to the nose. As it opened a malty sweetness became apparant. Didn't really catch the spices in the aroma, though.

M: Light, fizzy.

T: My first reaction was... celery seed? Even cold the spices came through nicely. I don't know what's in there, exactly, but it sure is good. There's a hint of sourness in the background but nothing on the level of a Lambic. Maybe a little coriander in there? Very interesting stuff. Like a Flemish Red crossed with Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray. Finishes very dry. Delicious, super-drinkable. I don't usually associate spiced beers with "summer brews" but this one was crazy refreshing on a blazing hot day. Would go great with Indian food, I think. Definitely be buying more of this one...

07-24-2008 22:16:36 | More by sanhedrin
nightcrawler

4.47/5  rDev +10.4%

I've never tasted a beer quite like this.

The smell was sour and alcoholic so I assumed this was going to be bitter and astringent, like an abbey ale gone bad. I was surprised to find the beer light and refreshing, hinting to be more like a Flemish sour beer with a dry finish. The finish may be a bit too dry, leaving me with a sort of weird thirst after each sip.

Very easy to drink with complex flavors slowly coming to the forefront the more I tasted. Light on the tongue with a sudden blast of bubbles as it hits the top of your mouth. It would be very easy to finish the bomber in one sitting.

07-02-2008 03:56:29 | More by nightcrawler
jamie2dope

3.78/5  rDev -6.7%

This bottle was purchased at Winchester Wine and Spirits. Poured in to a wide mouthed wine glass a hazy orange, with little heading, and lively carbonation. Smell has essences of honey, chamomile, ginger, cinnamon and wild flowers. All in all very spicy in aroma. Taste is more of the same, with a prickly spiced character that curiously sneaks around the palate. Body is on the light side, with very little alcohol present in the taste. I must say that it was a bit difficult to drink. The spice and overall huge complexity make it one that I would drink in small samples. Cheers

06-30-2008 01:47:18 | More by jamie2dope
tekk9

Washington

4.22/5  rDev +4.2%

This beer pours a nice golden amber color. An off-white head disappeared quickly but left a trace of itself. It smell earthy and spicy, but not overpowering. There is a hint of a woody smell. The flavor is wonderful. Not too sweet, but a little sweetness. I taste orange, but not citrusy. It definitely has an earthy taste upfront followed by a mild herby spiciness. It is medium bodied and nicely carbonated. Definitely a quality beer. For some reason it makes me crave Jamaican Jerk Chicken.

05-26-2008 19:45:34 | More by tekk9
rallison

4.1/5  rDev +1.2%

Admittedly, this is near to a year old at this point - but, it tastes fine with no oxidation, so I shall review it.

Pours a hazy orange-ish amber color with a 1/2 finger white head that leaves touches of lacing.

Smells quite spicy with notes of light fruits coming out. Nice indeed.

In the taste I get similar flavors - spices - almost peppery - with some earthy notes and a pleasant fruity malt background. Nice dry finish with some light bitterness amongst the spice.

Mouthfeel is relatively light on the tongue with medium carbonation but is never lacking. Wonderful drinkability here.

Recommended. I had neglected this too long and was afraid the age would have negatively affected it. However, this drinks beautifully. My guess is those spices help this beer keep.

04-08-2008 04:04:43 | More by rallison
theformula

4.43/5  rDev +9.4%

Beer #28 in my 366 Days of Beer Quest, tasted on 1/28.
Thanks to the g/f who probably paid way too much for this great looking bottle of Nora @ Firewaters in Atlantic City, NJ.

A: Pours a rusty orange body into a Duvel glass. A large, egg white head holds up really well. Loads of microscopic sediment floats throughout the body, & carbonation is effervescent.

S: This is different than anything I've come across, w/ the exception of Midas Touch by DFH. The overall picture is strongly perfumed (w/ myrrh apparently) & a prominent sandalwood note as well as wood, orange or rose water, clover honey, pineapple and subtle, leafy hops. Unique and really nice.

M: Light-med. body, low-med. carbonation. The body is light, a little slick & very quaffable.

T: The perfumy character doesn't translate strongly into taste, but it's a light, balancing flavor. Sweet malts w/ great spices mentioned above, w/ some soft hops and grain in the finish.

D: A unique, well-made spice beer, find this if you can. It really does remind me of DFH's Midas Touch, and I'd love to attain another bottle for a comparison. A bit thin, but incredibly drinkable.

02-07-2008 20:59:58 | More by theformula
BeardedBoffin

New Mexico

4.43/5  rDev +9.4%

The color of the beer is dark golden moving toward orange capped off by a nice fluffy head that dissipated quickly. The aroma is spicy and sweet with some earthy herbs. The beer is light on the palate with a bit of carbonation. The flavor is complex: sweet fruit in particular oranges, spiciness, dry with some residual bitterness and acidity. The finish is long and dry. This beer is complex and very unique and I like it for that. I could finish off the 750 mL bottle in no time.

02-03-2008 23:36:39 | More by BeardedBoffin
sawbones420

4.68/5  rDev +15.6%

Get a e-newsletter from my favorite beer store every week, and the description for this beer grabbed me enough to check out BA reviews. I can say this was one of the rare occasions I bought a beer based solely on the reviews I read on this site.

I was not let down!

Sexy looking bottle with a trendy label had a stay fresh cap (seals the bottle with a plastic nipple thing on the underside). Cracked and poured into an imperial pint glass. Hazy medium gold color with a splash of reddish in the bulbier part of the glass. Carbonation is alive and loud, dissipating quickly like a fresh cracked 2 liter of Coke would when poured into a glass. No lacing to speak of, but this is certainly still a quality beer.

Aroma is lightly spiced, floral, and slightly citrusy. I can't help but think of Allagash's tripel when sniffing this one. Now I'm excited.

Flavor is awesome! Splashes onto the middle of your tongue and the flavor creeps outwards to the sides. Spices are notable, but never overpowering. Again, I'm reminded of an Allagash, but with a slightly 'flatter' flavor and mouthfeel. Hops never come to the forefront, but there is a similar complexity in the flavor that keeps things interesting. Every sip tastes a bit different. Some pulls are citrusy, others spicy. Keeps you guessing and leaves you smiling.

This beer is a a total pleasure to drink. At 6.8% ABV, it would be all too easy to drink two or three if the price tag wasn't a bit on the steep side (12 or 13 dollars if I recall correctly). I originally chose a 4 for "drinkability" in the pull down menu above, but as I've been sipping on this fine ale and writing this review, I moved it first up to 4.5 and then finally to 5. I'd recommend this brew to anyone, whether they be a fan of beer in general, or even a wine connoisseur. This is certainly one for anybody who loves the "spiced" style. Drink up. Amazing!

02-02-2008 02:22:25 | More by sawbones420
BDIMike

4.08/5  rDev +0.7%

Very complex beer.
It poured beautifully with a highly carbonated golden, reddish hue. It had a nice thick white head that sat for a while.
The smell was very complex. It smells with a bunch of nice spices. I smelled orange and citrus and also pumpkin. At times you can smell the hops and other times a bit floral.
The taste was equally as complex. I tasted first the citrus and then ends with a lot of spice. It is a good spice that I couldn't put my finger on.
Mouthfeel is very sharp and carbonated. Good for a spiced beer.
The drinkability is very good for the type of beer it is. Usually a spiced beer is hard to drink a lot of, but this was surprisingly drinkable.

01-12-2008 18:57:46 | More by BDIMike
watchnerd

4.72/5  rDev +16.5%

This beer almost defies classification. Good head that deflates quickly, rich if murky color, and HUGE chunks of yeast upon pouring. Not much lacing. Some say it is best with food, but I think the opposite: drink this by itself to get the full experience. Not much hop presence, if any. Aromas of rose water, nutmeg, and feminine musk. A bit like sniffing panties while drinking beer.

01-12-2008 17:12:28 | More by watchnerd
Patrick999

4.2/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured a cloudy gold into my snifter. Head kinda fizzy and doesn't retain all that well.

Smell - Very pleasant, sweet-smelling nutty aroma. Smells more than a bit like myrrh incense, which is a big plus in my book. I give this a 5 in smell for being the only beer I know of to smell like a stick of good incense.

Taste - Does not follow smell. It's not all that sweet. It's not sweet at all, tending toward the dry. This bottle is from 2005, so it has a little age on it. In fact, on the back it says I have the "Sour Edition," but I'm putting my review here. There's a bit of saison-like yeasty funk and a bit of sour. A little bitterness that doesn't seem to come from hops. Maybe that's the myrrh. Given the odd ingredients, though, this doesn't really taste so strange. It's not the out of the ordinary beer I thought it might be. Tasty, but damn do I love that myrrh/Nag Champa incense smell. I think I'd rather smell it than drink it. Aftertaste long on orange peel.

Mouthfeel - Pretty good. Crisp and carbonated, reminds me of a saison.

Drinkability? Well, I'm drinking it. The alcohol isn't all that much, and it would seem to go over well with many different foods. I like it and would buy again.

01-08-2008 23:19:57 | More by Patrick999
BeerBelcher

1.73/5  rDev -57.3%

I didn't really care for this beer. It had an oddly perfumed aroma, and a combination of yeastiness and cerealness in its flavor that I couldn't get into. More over, the excessive amount of floaties in this beer gave it a strange and unpleasant mouthfeel that was at the same time both slick and gritty.

Appearance was a hazy tan, with some light and dark specks in it which reminded me of eggnog. Aroma was perfume-y, and the first thought that hit me was "lavender." Taste was faint at first, intensifying as it warmed, and the emerging flavor was cereal-y and yeasty in a way that was unpleasant to me. The mouthfeel was a bit gritty due to the floaties present, but also a bit slick and slimy feeling. Much of mine went down the drain.

I was not a fan of this beer and would not recommend it.

11-04-2007 17:42:58 | More by BeerBelcher
kiya

3.48/5  rDev -14.1%

I was expecting something dramatic to come out of this bottle considering the bottle shape and label design.

Pours a nice golden color with little to no head but with massive yeast clots... very little lacing brings up a great and strong floral scent.
Initially i was quite surprised that the overall flavor was so smooth. Nothing jumped out at me, i was sort of wishing something would.
The mouthfeel was one of the highlights for me, great levels of carbonation and a nice light feeling make this a great beer to drink a lot of, but it's not packaged or priced like a beer that's a session beer. Regardless, i loved bits and pieces of this, while overall i felt like it was missing something.

10-31-2007 03:47:41 | More by kiya
sleazo

4.33/5  rDev +6.9%

Served in a red wine glass at Spuyten Duyvil

A-hazy beautiful orange. Lovely head.

S-there is that "horseblanket" aroma I love. Very nice odor without being too strong.

T- more funk with some lemon hits the tongue first. Also some cloves and a vague spicyness. Almost no hop character. Very much tart but a slight sweetness comes through as it warms.

M-refreshingly bubbly but not overwhelming. A nice medium body

D-very nice outdoorsy beer and very good with some brie goat cheese and brasaola. This is a very unique beer and one I will get again despite the high price.

07-22-2007 17:00:15 | More by sleazo