Join our email list →

Birrificio Le Baladin
Italy | website

Herbed / Spiced Beer | 6.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-01-2002

This Egyptian inspired brew is spiced with ginger, myrrh, and orange peel ... very complex.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Baladin Nora Alström Bros
firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last
4.75/5  rDev +17.3%

Short story: It's like drinking a tulip. Really.

Long story: A neat, distinct label that matches the other beer I've had from the brewer is affixed to the shapely, unique bottle featuring a raised logo above the label. A smooth, coated, gold foil covers the top of the bottle and the cap.

The pour reveals a nice hazy orange beer with a fabulous aroma. After the first sip, the whole experience became something like sniffing a tulip long and hard with your eyes closed. Spicy (ginger, tiny bits of vanilla bean), citrusy, fruity, floral... Zero hop flavor or aroma, but all the extra flavors more than give this beer an abundance of flavor and aroma.

A fabulous beverage.

4.76/5  rDev +17.5%

S: Interesting. Was a bit colder than it should have been when I started, and didn't really give up much to the nose. As it opened a malty sweetness became apparant. Didn't really catch the spices in the aroma, though.

M: Light, fizzy.

T: My first reaction was... celery seed? Even cold the spices came through nicely. I don't know what's in there, exactly, but it sure is good. There's a hint of sourness in the background but nothing on the level of a Lambic. Maybe a little coriander in there? Very interesting stuff. Like a Flemish Red crossed with Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray. Finishes very dry. Delicious, super-drinkable. I don't usually associate spiced beers with "summer brews" but this one was crazy refreshing on a blazing hot day. Would go great with Indian food, I think. Definitely be buying more of this one...

4.77/5  rDev +17.8%

Vaguely hazy but it is basically clear, the liquid is a beautiful gold in hue with a slight coppery highlight. The head was an active, bubbly white foamy mass that rested gracefully on top of the beer. Head retention was fair; it quickly turned to a soapy island with naked pockets, thin collar. There was no subsequent lacing. On a whole the appearance is attractive. The nose is soft. The potency is moderate. In fact it seems a little fickle, at first anyway. The more I sniffed the more I noticed. Flowers. A greenhouse filled with flowers… on a sunny day. Can a beer smell sunny? Nora does. Traces of fresh honey, light sweetness too. Peppery. Spicy, ginger it seems. Fruity, apricots and peaches I believe. Malt is cracker-like. Herbal. The nose is great; it is like Duvel mixed with a saison. If the smell were more forceful it would be perfection. Inviting. The palate is unique. I translated a blurb on Le Baladin’s website but that didn’t quench my thirst on this beer. Regardless, I think this is a fantastic beverage. It is so light in body, so soft with its touch and yet some flavorful. There are tons going on with this beer yet my tastebuds don’t get slaughtered, they get rewarded. This beer is amazingly complex. I can think of very few beers that have such a vast flavor and none taste like this one. The palate is dry and sweet and spicy and herbal and fruity. Details… the dryness is cracker-like at times. However the overall dryness is like Brut Champagne. Nice. The sweetness is soft and playful, kisses of honey, very light caramel notes. Juicy. Fruits are in play. There is a citrus zip, apricots, peaches, and a smidgen of grapes. Spiciness seems to be, in part, derived from ginger. Peppery. Then it becomes herbal towards the back, before ending on a sweet note and the slightest bit of alcohol heat. On the whole the palate is very tasty. This beer is amazing; it is so delicate! It is beyond comparison. Medium in body, the carbonation is moderately high (but not lively enough, IMO, as this beer is just a little tacky) but the mouthfeel is very pleasant and ideal for the flavor profile. Is this beer drinkable? Yes, you ass! Haven’t you been reading my review? The delicate flavors could be matched with equally delicate foods like fish or waffles at brunch. Maybe even a very, very mild cheese and some rye crackers. Maybe the best pairing for this beer is a couple glasses so it can be shared with friends. I really like this beer; I wish I could drink it again (soon). But I haven’t seen it in my usual hangouts (not in Nebraska because we don’t get shit here, I mean in Kansas City or Iowa City). I purchased this bottle in Burnsville, MN. Unforgettable. World Class.

4.77/5  rDev +17.8%

I saw this bottle for the first time today and was instantly taken with it. A beer I've never heard of, that looks ever-so intriquing? Let's go for it! Reminds me in shape of bottle and label design of another Italian beer I've seen in Michael Jackson's "Great Beer Guide" ("Isaac Birra Bianca") and a simple check on this site proves that they belong to the same family...so, I chill it and tackle it on returning home from work, and am I happy that I did!
Appearance: a light amber hue, with numerous floaties flitting about, though they settle soon, under a thick, fine, fizzy white head.
Aroma, deep and spicy, reminding me instantly of Duvel, and that's a nice feather in the old cap-ola!, yeah, there''s that crystalline, flowery, ethereal essence! Nice-ety, nice, nice! Utterly uplifting!
Taste: smooth, airy, light, fruity (some citrus, peach) angelic...I can't put my finger on it, but there's some subtle complexity going on in this ale, and it probably originates from the spices, coriander, ginger, and more that I'm not keen enough to detect. Very sophisticated, very...well, "elite", shall we say, it is not for everyone, nor should it be...absolutely magical, this brew, spicy and sweet and totally happy ...flies on gossamer fairy wings through the senses, tossing flavor out ever-so-daintily, lightly, happily, yummily...Persistent with flavor, though it continues to be rather light, though utterly unique , soft and sublime...Sigh....shall I put it in one word?...Gorgeous...
Nora, I adore ya!
(P.S., I didn't check the price until check-out time, and it was $11.99 for this 750ml bottle...awfully pricey, compared to others, but there really are no comparisons to this incredible brew, so this high tag may be deserved...

4.82/5  rDev +19%

Poured into a standard italian table wine glass and drunk from the apartment terrace in Spolleto, May 2011. Have been seeking to further my Baladin education and this one is the best for me so far. The complexities begin with the nose, honeyed sour sweet, excellent head on the pour, great glass lacing, the belgian yeast makes for a candied carbonation. the first sip discerns a taste profile that reminds me of Duvel, only deeper richer. The color and the glass lacing are the same but a more complex flavor profile; wasn't sure of the spice notes, thought ginger and per BA I guess I am right othe spices I cannot identify but find this beer extremely, extremely drinkable and balanced. Great finish makes me more than ready for the next sip. No discernable alchohol burn, the beer is so smooth. Would pair with a fish or chicken couscous, would be so yummy. A great eye-opening beer from a game-changing and ever-evolving brewery.

4.9/5  rDev +21%

Let's start with the bottle. It sets up the whole experience with Nora. It's a unique shape for a unique beer. The beer itself is exquisite, smooth and highly drinkable. So far I have tried Nora and Super and overall I am quite impressed with this brewery.

4.96/5  rDev +22.5%

Dark, cloudy, unfiltered appearance. Orange-brown in color. Wonderful sweet smell. Delicious full citrus, spicy flavor. Minimal carbonation, fairly flat. Full bodied feel in the month; fairly heavy. Great flavor. Delicious. I had two glasses when at a restaurant tonight and want more!

4.97/5  rDev +22.7%

Opened this bottle with low expectations. I've been burned before with beers from italy, so I wasn't sure about this one.

Color was golden. Light head, but still looked healthy.

Smell was citrus, apples and oranges came to mind.

Taste was... a blast. Very smooth, complex and pleasant. I was expecting something totally different.

Mouthfeel was very well balanced. Good carbonation, went down easy.

Overall this has suddenly jumped into my top 5 beers. Highly recommended to have with bread/crackers. Absolutely delicious.

I've just drunk a Deus with friends and this ancient review (1.29.03)called for re-doing. It is the same product as then. I gave it all 5s then. Steep mousse. Exotic, winy bouquet. Tart tangerine succulence is offered in the palate-drenching interlude between nose and cheek. It is chewy young fruit braised with age. I renew my perfect scores for this elixir. It satisfies one's spine.

___

Here's the original text:

Named after the proprietor's wife who claims Egytian heritage, this beer contains near eastern flavorings such as myrrh as well as more conventional Belgian seasonings such as orange peel.
Exquisite aromatics...the balance...!!!
Vegetable ash, ginger, orange pith, sea foam, pebbles...clear and bright with fractal complexity. Every firm element (rocks, citrus peel) is disputed by a hedonistic one (iris, vanilla) Again, just as with the Super Baladin, the bubbles are intricate, milled to a state of fine-ness that boggles the mind. Fluffy, piercing, bright pinpoints of gas serve as the primary structure here. It is dry and so drinkable.
Poetry.

You know that feeling? When you're out somewhere and you catch a scent that fleetingly fills you with warmth and blocks reality.

Hazed Summer sunset. O for the redolence! Pungent with sandalwood, grapes off the vine, paved nature trails and sensous bathing. I can't stop sniffing, burlap and rose petals and lavender and something savory I can't tell. I'd give it a six for smell if only I could. But the flavor's not too far behind, no. Floral sweet as in chewing clover blossoms--you know the purple ones in your yard in Spring--yet grounded in spice and grit and well-traveled roads and longing. My oh my I feel dirty trying to describe the experience like I'm betraying a lover.

Get it!