Baladin Nora - Birrificio Le Baladin

Birrificio Le Baladin visit their website
Italy

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  6.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-01-2002

This Egyptian inspired brew is spiced with ginger, myrrh, and orange peel ... very complex.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Baladin Nora Alström Bros
firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last
4.82/5  rDev +18.4%

Poured into a standard italian table wine glass and drunk from the apartment terrace in Spolleto, May 2011. Have been seeking to further my Baladin education and this one is the best for me so far. The complexities begin with the nose, honeyed sour sweet, excellent head on the pour, great glass lacing, the belgian yeast makes for a candied carbonation. the first sip discerns a taste profile that reminds me of Duvel, only deeper richer. The color and the glass lacing are the same but a more complex flavor profile; wasn't sure of the spice notes, thought ginger and per BA I guess I am right othe spices I cannot identify but find this beer extremely, extremely drinkable and balanced. Great finish makes me more than ready for the next sip. No discernable alchohol burn, the beer is so smooth. Would pair with a fish or chicken couscous, would be so yummy. A great eye-opening beer from a game-changing and ever-evolving brewery. (934 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +20.4%

Let's start with the bottle. It sets up the whole experience with Nora. It's a unique shape for a unique beer. The beer itself is exquisite, smooth and highly drinkable. So far I have tried Nora and Super and overall I am quite impressed with this brewery. (256 characters)

4.96/5  rDev +21.9%

Dark, cloudy, unfiltered appearance. Orange-brown in color. Wonderful sweet smell. Delicious full citrus, spicy flavor. Minimal carbonation, fairly flat. Full bodied feel in the month; fairly heavy. Great flavor. Delicious. I had two glasses when at a restaurant tonight and want more! (285 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +22.1%

Opened this bottle with low expectations. I've been burned before with beers from italy, so I wasn't sure about this one.

Color was golden. Light head, but still looked healthy.

Smell was citrus, apples and oranges came to mind.

Taste was... a blast. Very smooth, complex and pleasant. I was expecting something totally different.

Mouthfeel was very well balanced. Good carbonation, went down easy.

Overall this has suddenly jumped into my top 5 beers. Highly recommended to have with bread/crackers. Absolutely delicious. (527 characters)

I've just drunk a Deus with friends and this ancient review (1.29.03)called for re-doing. It is the same product as then. I gave it all 5s then. Steep mousse. Exotic, winy bouquet. Tart tangerine succulence is offered in the palate-drenching interlude between nose and cheek. It is chewy young fruit braised with age. I renew my perfect scores for this elixir. It satisfies one's spine.

___

Here's the original text:

Named after the proprietor's wife who claims Egytian heritage, this beer contains near eastern flavorings such as myrrh as well as more conventional Belgian seasonings such as orange peel.
Exquisite aromatics...the balance...!!!
Vegetable ash, ginger, orange pith, sea foam, pebbles...clear and bright with fractal complexity. Every firm element (rocks, citrus peel) is disputed by a hedonistic one (iris, vanilla) Again, just as with the Super Baladin, the bubbles are intricate, milled to a state of fine-ness that boggles the mind. Fluffy, piercing, bright pinpoints of gas serve as the primary structure here. It is dry and so drinkable.
Poetry. (1,080 characters)

You know that feeling? When you're out somewhere and you catch a scent that fleetingly fills you with warmth and blocks reality.

Hazed Summer sunset. O for the redolence! Pungent with sandalwood, grapes off the vine, paved nature trails and sensous bathing. I can't stop sniffing, burlap and rose petals and lavender and something savory I can't tell. I'd give it a six for smell if only I could. But the flavor's not too far behind, no. Floral sweet as in chewing clover blossoms--you know the purple ones in your yard in Spring--yet grounded in spice and grit and well-traveled roads and longing. My oh my I feel dirty trying to describe the experience like I'm betraying a lover.

Get it! (697 characters)