Pine Belt Pale Ale - Southern Star Brewing Company

Southern Star Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.30% ABV

Beer added by: BgThang on 04-09-2008

A deep copper colored ale with a substantial malt backbone accented with British crystal malts with aggressive hop bitterness and substantial American hop flavor and aroma. The yeast profile is neutral.

Malt: Rahr special pale, Simpsons 30-37, Crisp 45
Hops: Galena, CTZ, Nugget
Yeast: California Ale
4.77/5  rDev +24.5%

Presentation: 16 oz. can poured into a pint glass

A: cloudy brown with minimal white head

S: sweet fruity and piney aroma

T: sweet maltiness with hints of grapefruit and pine resin, a good ballance of malt and hops

M: smooth with light carbonation

D: I love Texas and Texas Beer, and this is one that makes me happy to come from the same state.

4.75/5  rDev +24%

I've been loving this beer for about a year, maybe less - I was a little put off of putting down 8 some odd bucks for 4 16oz cans. I resisted the first couple times i saw it - then i had to try it. I'm sorry I waited as long as i did and it more than worth what ever you pay for it - this stuff is greatness. and its from TX!!! I love just about everything about this beer. Just wish it came in a 12 pack!

Tonight i poured into a tall thick glass - cold from the freezer. Head is nice but i fit the whole can into the glass. Nice bubbles below - little swirling groups and other regular little bubbles as well. The color is a very nice amber to deep burnt orange - very hazy and thick. This is almost like a homebrew - theres even some hop bits floating around. I love the smell of this beer - it just flows out of the cup. The malt and hops are very full - they hit you pretty good in the face. Taste is very malty with a good bit of bitterness - hops are right there too to complement the malts. Very full mouthfeel and great lingering aftertaste - makes me want to take another sip. I can easily down one of these in a few moments all the while swirling the glass and enjoying the smell and color of this beer. I like to swirl this one to keep the head up and release the beautiful scent of this beer. Each sniff makes me want another sip - and then its gone.

i really like this brewery and this is one of my favorite beers. I've had this in the middle of winter (or what passes for winter here in TX) and in the hot of summer and it is excellent any time of year. If it was a bit easier to get this would be my go to beer (bye bye Shiner). I hope the Southern Star continues to burn bright and that they keep making great beers.

4.73/5  rDev +23.5%

I paid $7 for a 4 pack of 16oz cans at Majestic in Fort Worth. Seemed like a good deal at the time, feels like a steal now.

Slightly hazy, rich copper pour, half inch of head. Not much lacing.

Light pine and sweet malts on the nose.

Sweet big malt taste up front, orange mixed in, just absolutely delicious start! After half a glass I’m noticing some tropical fruits in there. The tropical fruit is like a dried, sugar coated piece of pineapple you would find in some trail mix. (The part of the trail mix I eat first!) Crisp bitter hop finish with a little caramel. No after taste, clean and crisp.

Easy to drink, goes down very easy, too easy? I can see a bunch of these going down in a hurry! Great mouth feel and very refreshing.

This is a fantastic Pale Ale. There is no hint of the 6.3%abv, and 45 IBU is just right with the big malt mix. This is my 3rd beer from Southern Star Brewery in Conroe Texas, and while the Bombshell Blonde and the Buried Hatchet Stout are both very good offerings, this is far and away my favorite. I’m going to go open another one right now, and I’ll be buying this beer again, immediately!

4.72/5  rDev +23.2%

Got this from RickSawyer in a trade!

Pours a hazed amber color, big fluffy tan head hanging in there for the duration, plenty of lacing. Smells way hoppy! Piney hops hit you hard, big sweet malt backbone, some citrus fruit in there too. Taste comes off very balanced, bready/doughy maltiness, bitter piney hops, and a big citrus hit at the end. Actively carbonated, refreshing, powerful lingering hop bitterness. If I had easy access to this beer, it would be in the house year-round. An excellent APA, big thanks to Rick for the opportunity!

Also, 16oz. cans? Absolutely!

4.62/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

16oz can from mhewes via trade extra. Thanks for the opportunity.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 2" beige head above the slightly cloudy orangey amber brew. Frothy head recedes slowly, with sporadic hunky lacing. Aroma is pervasive fresh green hops. Taste is sweet upfront, dominantly hoppy in the middle, and then leans back somewhat sweet for the close. Mouthfeel is soft and smooth, and drinkability is excellent. Another stunner extra from this trade!

4.6/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Purchased at Specs in the Houston area. Can is unusual for a craft beer, but the 16 oz serving is welcome.

A:Mostly orange color, pours with a nice controllable creamy not-quite-white head that leaves an attractive lace. Head lingers until you finish.

S: Pine start, malt finish. Not exactly hoppy in the nose, in the usual sense, but makes a statement.

T: Very citrus-y and piney at first. Lots of grapefruit note. Malt sweetness kicks in as a taste crosses your palate, but does not overpower. Afternotes reprise the citrus and pine theme, and cleanses the palate for the next mouthfull.

M: Right for an APA, not too heavy or watery.

D: Drinking one makes me want another. What else can you ask for?

4.6/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured from the 16 oz. can into a pint glass.

A- Clear dark amber with copper tones. Off-white head billows up and creates a foamy pillowy head across the top of the brew. Carbonation is small and tightly packed. Lacing on the glass is thick. What a beautifully looking beer!

S- Hops jump right out at first. The hops smell lovely- floraly and earthy. The malt profile is also evident and smells sweet with hints of brown sugar.

T- The hops hit first in a fruity / floral bitterness. I am getting hints of orange juice, perhaps some lemon zest, and certianly an earthy biscuity bitter which is really nice. The malt balances the sweet bitter hops right away and creates one hell of a APA taste! I love it!

M- Mouthfeel is excellent. Carbonation is felt, but not overpowering. The body is light.

D- This brew is ALWAYS on hand in my house. Amazing beer.

4.52/5  rDev +18%

Received in a LIF win from rsawyer!

A: color is a nice hazy amber color with a decent off white creamy head that quickly disappears leaving little but a ring of lacing around the edges.

S: smell is of pretty strong fruit, bubble gum, citrus hops and minimal alcoholic presence. it fills the room as soon as it's poured.

T: One of my favorite APAs so far since my craft beer adventure began just over 2 months ago. Great combination of fruity citrus flavors, with a upfront maltier backbone and pine like hoppy edge. Very nice.

M: medium to high carbonation, great balance of bitter/sweet flavors. On the sweeter side mid palate but then tapers off leading to a nice hoppier bite in the finish.

D: One word, excellent!

(Poured into a nonic)
A- The can opens with a loud crack and a big beige foam starts to flow. That foam eventually melts into a orange clear body but there is some head that remains stuck to the glass. There are streaks of tiny bubbles that glide to the surface.
S- The pale dry malt has some caramel malt aromas in an almost cologne quality. There is a bright crystal malt note and a soft herbal green finish.
T- This beer has a fresh pale malt flavor with some nice crystal malt notes. The finish is a soft herbal hops note that has a light mint quality and a soft bitterness that lingers after each sip.
M- This beer has a full mouthfeel mostly due to the creamy head and no alcohol heat at all.
D- This is definitely an English Pale Ale, with the malt forward flavor. It tastes just like eating fresh crystal malt and a nice hop support that holds on with each finish. The creamy head pulls it all together. I love the 16oz cans and this beer captures the fresh session beer at its best.

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

16 oz can received as extra in recent trade(thanks ottovon)

a-nice hazy amber color 1/2" light tan head that lingered for a while

s-nice resiny hop smell up front--smells like a beefed up pale ale..also has the malt backbone smell in there

t-malt up front followed quickly by hops and then more hops until the aftertaste which is a combination of malt and bitter hops...its quite tasty

m-nice heavy oily resiny mouthfeel that coats really well....more pale ales should be like this...

d-fantastic drinkability....i could see myself cracking several of these open after a long summer day of yard work and enjoying all of them...this beer i believe would make a stellar session beer

overall this is quite nice....im not a huge pale ale fan but this is a great beer...if this were more readily available in nc i believe i would drink it right frequently ...right up there with dales pale ale....craft beer in a can is slowly growing on me....good job southern star now i have to try and get my hands on their stout

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

Cloudy medium copper color with a fine head that leaves lots of lacing. Great color and a pretty beer.

Piney hops on the nose mix with a toasty aroma from the malt. The flavor is a big pine hoppy flavor - perhaps the most piney flavor of any beer I can remember. Orange citrus hops peek out around the edges. Tangy and dry with a pleasant bitter finish.

Medium bodied and juicy. This is a great drinking beer that doesn't quite seem to know what it is. The name is pale ale, but elsewhere on the can it is called an amber ale. I would put it somewhere between a red ale and an American IPA. But it certainly lives up to the pine part of its name. I like it and would buy it regularly if I could.

Medium body

4.48/5  rDev +17%

There is something very gratifying about drinking beer out of a can. The temptation to crush the can against my head like a frat boy is not one that a sane person gives into more than once. Still, it's in a can!!! *crushes against head* *passes out*

A: What are you talking about? It's in a can! You want me to pour it in a glass? Fine, but only this once! Deep amber/brown. Maybe the head would lace if I didn't overflow the glass. Now I have spilled delicious beer you inconsiderate jerk.

S: Ok, so here is where a can may hurt a beer. In order to get the true aroma, you do have to pour it in a glass. Otherwise, you will smell aluminum mixed with whatever your beer smells like.

This beer smells like no APA that I am used to. Rather, this smells like an IPA. I like that, but I guess style-nazi's may have a bone to pick with that. Let them review it then. Spicy notes are a given and caramel malts are big as well.

T: Pine should be taken literally when deciding whether or not to buy this. I love the flavor. It is very present, but it does not obscure the grapefruit notes or malty yumminess of this brew. Much like the smell, this is a hoppy APA.

M: Medium body with decent carbonation. This has a creamy bitter full finish to it.

D: I am going to fill a shelf on my fridge with this. I want one with me at all times. Holy F&%#ing S#!% that is a good beer.

4.47/5  rDev +16.7%

poured from the 16 oz can to my new belgium goblet:
bought this becuase the distributor was giving samples at my local brewe-house: (yes it was THAT good)

a pours a dark unfiltered honey color - with a big 3 finger head that settles with great truly great clamshell lacing.

s citrus pine hops - makes me think of the mountains.

t kinda bready - malty along with the piney hopiness. no IPA but then they arent claiming that are they? it's a great pale ale.

m superb. this is just great -

d - you can truly consider this a session beer - recommended by the dozen.

4.47/5  rDev +16.7%

Pours an amber gold with ruby red highlights. Pillowy white head climbs the glass and holds tight to the walls. Smells great! Balance of carmel, tangerine, grapefruit, floral grassy hops. Taste follows. Begins with carmel, light maple, and baguette. Next walks in the hops, not overbearing, not yelling at the top of their lungs hops... balanced hops, supporting hops, wonderful hops. Citrus, grapefruit and orange predominantly, hops. Grassy, refreshing, bitter and balanced to the malt. Mouthfeel is spot on for the style, moderately carbonated, not to heavy, but still complex enough to have you reaching for more. Great! No brainer for me from now on.

4.43/5  rDev +15.7%

Slightly hazy-copper color with a light beige meringue head that has good staying power. Syrupy grapefruit and fresh, floral pine oil control the nose along with some slight toasted malt. The body is medium with a fine carbonation, giving a zesty mouthfeel that becomes creamy as it warms. Fresh cut grass and the oily Columbus hop character quickly take over the palate to provide a clean bite of citric, grapefruit character and juicy fruit gum, which yields a crisp fresh taste. Malty undertones of crust and caramel help to balance Pine Belt's flavor while the hop bitterness progressively increases and loiters on the tongue after each sip. I found this local gem at Spec's in Houston and I look forward to when this beer is available in Beaumont.

4.43/5  rDev +15.7%

Thanks to Jtrockchalk for this one.

I'm going to start of with the drinkability section of this review. All I can say is I really wish the great state of Missouri would have Southern Star Pine Belt Pale Ale. This is one of the most drinkable Pale Ale's I have ever had. Not overly hopped but still quite a bit of flavor, without the watery texture that comes with so many Pale Ales. This is a fantastic beer and I think would go into regular rotation if it were available in Missouri. On to the rest of the review. I poured a 16 oz can into my Tripel Karmeliet tulip. This beer pours a cloudy amber with an enormous head that looks like its about to spill over the rim of my glass. Not only does the head stick around but also it leaves phenomenal lacing down the sides of the glass. The aroma of this beer is definitely pine-centric. Nice piney aroma and I normally like more citric beers. The taste follows suit with a nice piney hops presence followed by a great malty backbone. This is a really well balanced APA. The mouthfeel is fuller than I would expect for an APA. Great beer.

4.42/5  rDev +15.4%

Big thanks goes out to stopbarking for this one in the LNBA BIF. You rock danny boy. Now go make me some wings.

Pours a nice looking glowing amber/orange color. Nice fluffy white head retains quite well and leaves good lacing.

Nose is candy sweetness with massively piney hop resin. Sugary sharp smell.

Whoa! This is tasty stuff! A great blend of candy sugar like malt sweetness and pine hops. Very unique flavor. This is a very nice pale ale. An odd sort of sharp candy sugar flavor through the middle, but I like it. The hop profile is right where it should be in a pale. This defenitely rivals Dale's for one of my favorite pale ales. Nice dry finish without being unrefreshing.

Mouthfeel is just about right, maybe ever so slightly thick. Carbonation is perfect. slightly soapy.

Drinkability is very very poundable. Would love to get my session on with a few of these.

Overall a very suprising and respectable pale ale. One I would SURELY revisit if it were local. If you like Dale's pale or any good pale for that matter, give this one a shot. A very unique and enjoyable session brew. Great. Thanks again to the one and only stopbarking.

4.42/5  rDev +15.4%

A : Pours a nice golden color with a thick white head.

S : A strong pine aroma, perfect for east Texas. A good amount of citrus hops are also present

T : It's got a good piney hop bitterness. There's a good malt backbone to it to help balance out the flavor

M : Medium bodied with a nice feel

D : I would definitely have this one as often as I can get it.

4.4/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A- Dark orange/red amber color with plenty of yeast in suspension. The head is big and foamy.

S- Cherries and dank ass hops in the nose. I want to say pine and herb mixed with a bit of tart fruit from the yeast

T- Big flavor makes me think of some of my favorite American red ales. Plenty of flavor from sweet caramel malts, bitter pine hops and tangy, fruity yeast funk.

M- Medium body and a very smooth carbonation that slides past the tongue

D- I'm digging the way this beer takes very basic aspects of "beerery" and makes them interesting

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Poured with a good amount of off white silky frothy head that dissipated to a thin layer leaving beautiful lacing at the top of my glass. The beer is slightly cloudy, orange-brown.

Smell: Caramel malt, fresh floral and grassy hops, some pine and as well.

Taste: Sweet caramel malt and piney hops, citrus hops, some bitter grassy flavors, leaves mouth with a fresh grassy flavor.

Mouthfeel: Nice medium body, good carbonation, bitter tingle on the tongues, leaves mouth slightly bitter and crisp

Overall: Really good drinkability, delicious hop character, small amount of caramel malt flavor to balance out the bitterness. Very glad there is a little left in the can after finishing the glass! :-)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to brewdlyhooked13 for this in person trade!!!

A: Unique, pint sized can with no freshness date - "Clarity is overrated" written on the side of the can - I like it... I saw a LIF posting on this beer sometime and have wanted to try in since. Pours a slightly cloudy, rich orange to amber with a gorgeously, chunky off-white head that sticks around for some time. I noticed a lingering chip of sediment in the pour, but it may have come off the top of the can. Either way, it's going to get drunk. I can already tell I am going to enjoy this one.

S: Pine, oranges, pineapples all dancing around trailed by some sweet malts.

T: Wow, this is better than I expected! Very exciting blend of sweet tea and hoppy sour flavors including what I mentioned in the nose - orange, pine, pineapple followed by super sweet malts on the front of the tasting. I think there's a whole lot of Centennial hops in this mix. Very floral and aromatic throughout. Suprisingly, the taste disappears quickly leaving a nice dry finish.

M: Full-bodied with little fizz after the initial pour but plenty of carbonation in your mouth. Overall, I am very impressed with their initial offering. I bet this would be amazing in a cask format. I could put this sucker back all night if they sold it in my area.

4.38/5  rDev +14.4%

"Sometimes I wonder if beer brewers dabble in places that the law has yet to find." -- DarthMalt

Halfway through this one (first of the night) and I was on Cloud 9. There's a little shuck and jive at first (knowing that there might be a micro suckerpunch inside), but ohh-noo. This one just aims to please. And please it does.

Pours nice (fluffy and good). Smells contentious like your usual micro. But then, sip (mmm...). Taste (MMM...!). And, [Breastfeeders take note] Let the letdown begin. Mama Mia! Take me home micro road!

Finish is irrelevant after one like this.
So are hops.

This is just a good un'.

PS - The tagline/slogan of this micro/brewey rules!:

"Clarity is overrated."

4.37/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy orange-amber from the 16 oz. can with about two fingers of khaki head, which dissipates after a couple minutes. Nose is bright and full of pine. Up front in this aptly named beer is more pine needles, while it finishes with some grapefruit that makes the mouth pucker. Even so, there is a small malt sweetness in the finish. Mouthfeel is generally crisp and refreshing, but toward the end of the glass, it felt a little watery, which dropped the score a touch. Overall, this is extremely drinkable, and I found the extra pineyness to be a delicious take on the APA style, and I'll return to this local offering often as the weather heats back up.

4.35/5  rDev +13.6%

A - slightly coudy, orangy with ample head, drank it in a goblet.

S - fresh-smelling, pine of course, not too aromatic.

T - sour-bitter, full. Grassy, piney, citrusy earthy.

M - pleasant coating on the tongue, which kind of gathers at the back and warms throughout the palate

D - 16 oz cans a novelty, two would be my limit before they start tasting repetitive. Still, a diamond in the rough here. So glad it's from Texas. I will buy and buy again.

4.35/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured from the 16oz can into a Guinness pint glass.

Pours a nice, cloudy copper color with a 2 finger off white head. Head sticks around for a while.

Smell is mostly piney hops with a hint of grapefruit and sweet malts.

Taste is very much inline with the nose. Very piney.

Drinkability is exceptional. This a very good session beer and great to drink while grilling on a hot summer day or relaxing by the pool. This beer is quickly becoming one of my favorites.

Pine Belt Pale Ale from Southern Star Brewing Company