Bombshell Blonde - Southern Star Brewing Company

good

Southern Star Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

American Blonde Ale |  5.25% ABV

A rich, creamy golden colored ale fermented at a cool temperature to give a clean finish. Hints of yeasty bread and a touch of hops combine to make a beer that is truly more than the sum of its parts.

Malt: Rahr Special Pale, Wyermann Vienna
Hops: Saphir, Sterling
Yeast: California Ale

(Beer added by: armock on 10-25-2008)
3.45/5  rDev -7%

Thanks to JJFoodie for this xtra.

A: Pours a hazy straw color. Certainly better looking than a Budweiser. Head should've taken off it's coat and stayed a while.

S: I struggled to find much in the smell dept while this was cold. As it warms I'm getting a lot of bready aroma.

T: Not terrible. Actually, its ok...especially if I'm rating with style in mind. Lots more flavor than anything from BMC, even a little bit of hop presence.

M: Carbonation alright. Kinda prickly mouthfeel.

D: Could definitely put back a few of these on a sunny day.

I cracked this beer after an indoor soccer game cause I wanted something mild. This would make a nice summer session beer. I would probably pick up some of this if it were available to me because it would be acceptable to my non-craft beer drinking friends. Glad I got to try it.

AdamGarcia, Mar 18, 2010
3.35/5  rDev -9.7%

Big thanks to Rbald42 for sending me this beer. Great guy.

Pours from the can with a big fluffy white head that hangs around for quite some time. The beer was a touch darker than I had expected. A light amber color with lots of gold highlights. Kind of a dull finish. Clinging lacing everywhere.

Aroma is a dough, light malt with a lot of yeasty notes.

Flavor does follow the aroma and was doughy to me. Almost undercooked...(tasting) There is a yeast flavor and a little chalk. A touch grassy.

Body is light again a little chalk grit.

Drinkable but not complex. You don't beg for another. Lawnmower beer.

Glad I had the opportunity to try this.

Reagan1984, Mar 14, 2010
3.43/5  rDev -7.5%

12 oz. can with no freshness date poured a slightly hazy, golden-orange with a creamy, sustained head.

Very faint, sweet malty aromas.

This is very malty yet extremely refreshing. Nothing cloying even as the ale warms. There is a slightly fruity, bitter hoppiness in the background.

Light bodied with good spritzy carbonation. There is an off-putting bitter flavor that does detract from the mouthfeel.

The refreshing light body and low ABV make this a good quaffer for the spring or summer. It is not very complex and the aforementioned strange bitter flavor keeps this one from a higher rating. Still well worth trying.

jkrich, Mar 14, 2010
3.68/5  rDev -0.8%

Dark, honey blonde with a massive rocky merengue like head of cream colored foam that lasts for days. Honeysuckle, pale malt and a touch of floral hops in the nose. Plenty of pale and Vienna malt flavors with a touch of honey and decent hop bittering in the finish. Creamy bodied with mild carbonation. A nice beer but not one I would go out of my way for.

biggred1, Mar 14, 2010
2.78/5  rDev -25.1%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours a hazy golden orange color with medium-thick cream-colored foam that fades at a medium pace, leaving chunks of lacing around the glass.

S: Smells like grass and spent grains. Definitely leaves something to be desired.

T: Big malted barley flavors come through despite the muted nose. Caramel, toffee, nuts, toast, etc. are in season. Better than average, but not really good.

M: Drinks a little bit like soda. Not a ton of body, and my still feels fizzy after I finish swallowing.

D: While it does have some nice flavor going on, the mouthfeel is pretty much enough to say goodnight for me. I'd drink this before a Budweiser, but not much else.

NewGeneric, Mar 10, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +11.3%

The blond on the can convinced me to drink this after having sat in my fridge for a week or two. There is a wonderful dense head on this beer as it clings to the glass on the way down. As the can states, "Clarity is overrated." A hazy, dull yellow colored beer. The nose is primarily yeast character with just a bit of malty aroma. Orange slice smell as well. More bitter than I expected for a blond, but balanced in its sweetness. The floral hops blend well, too. Creamy mouth that ends semi-dry. Altogether, it makes for a very drinkable, delicious blond ale!

SirSketch, Mar 03, 2010
3.63/5  rDev -2.2%

Without going too much into everything about this beer, lemme just tell you that this was a good one.

I wish it wasnt in a can in all honesty. I'd like to have been able to be given the option of seeing when I was about to pour out the yeast. They should give their consumers that ability.

Quite a drinkable beer actually. I liked it and I am not traditionally a big fan of the "blonde" category of beer.

phillipzayas, Feb 24, 2010
3.38/5  rDev -8.9%

Gold colored beer with a slight chill haze and a small white colored head.

Smells mostly of malt and powdery yeast scent. Hops are not all that evident mostly a citrus aroma with a slight grassy edge.

Starts out pleasantly malty with a slight caramel and grain flavor. That is pretty much it, lots of grain and slight caramel flavor.

Mouthfeel is full.

Where this beer actually shines is in its mildness. Lager smooth and completely inoffensive with a big grain flavor, very easy on the taste buds.

Zorro, Feb 24, 2010
3.93/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Dogfish shaped pint glass. Pours a cloudy pale gold color with a big fluffy two inch white head. The head settled out but left pretty good lacing on the sides.

The aroma has a moderate bready, grainy malt smell to it with a little citrus and a slightly spicy/herbal aroma from the hops. The taste is malty and slightly sweet with some caramel and bready flavors.

The mouthfeel is on the lighter side with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is pretty good, the Vienna malt added a nice flavor to it that I enjoyed. It's definitely different then any other American Blonde that I have had before, but it was pretty good.

billab914, Feb 21, 2010

Bombshell Blonde pours a cloudy golden, and is topped by a shiny, white head that fades to a film and leaves lace that clings to the sides of the glass. The aroma is fruity with lighter notes of toasty malts, and herbal hops.

There's a toasty, bready sweetness upfront that is constant underneath the building flavors. A mild banana fruitiness appears in the center, and moves into a a mild, grassy bitterness in the flavor. I thought this beer had a pleasing sweetness that was offset by a good depth of flavor. This blonde ale is medium to light-bodied, and has a nice crispness that's accentuated by the carbonation.

I was very pleased with this beer. It had a nice amount of flavor, and would make a great session beer.

EPICAC, Feb 18, 2010
3.63/5  rDev -2.2%

Pours a hazy golden orange color with a nice sized white head that hangs around a little while before dying down and leaving a little lacing.

Simple aroma of bread and citrus with a little caramel at the end.

Taste starts with some orange upfront, becomes a little bready and just a hint of caramel towards the finish. Not bad but a little plain.

Light to medium body with decent carbonation. Light and refreshing, fairly easy to drink but maybe a little bland. I would probably get bored of this after a couple.

Vengeance526, Feb 16, 2010
3.68/5  rDev -0.8%

A-Pours a hazy orange with a white one finger head that quickly dissipates.

S-Carmel and bready malt notes with a hint of orange.

T- Orange citrus hops upfront with a bready malt backbone with an orange and lemon aftertaste and a bit of grain.

M-I would put the carbonation in this one on the heavy side of medium carb. It's almost light-bodied, yet it's very smooth.

D-Pretty easy drinking as most bloneds tend to be. This one has very full flavor though which I've really not experienced with this style before.

samie85, Feb 13, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +13.2%

Lots of foam and lacing after he pour from this headdy brew. A wheat beer like haze of amber, copper, and sediment. Very attractive looking beer. Toasted bready malts, some pilsner malts give a grainy smell and taste to this brew. While the yeast seems to impart an aroma ofdried apricots and light berries. The yeast seems to vamp up the berry flavors when you take a sip of seems to be exacerbated, but in a good way. The palate is a little powdery, but definetly grainy and full of character. This has turned out to be my favorite blonde I've had so far. I recommend anyone trying this beer.

scruffwhor, Feb 02, 2010
3.95/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured from 12oz can.

A- Pours a semi-hazy golden straw color. Two finger very light tan almost dirty white head. This stays for most of the time I'm drinking it. Nice thick lacing all over the glass.

S- Nice sweet bready malts in this one. Some light citrus (orangey) hops in the back of the scent. Also, a light grainy presence. Nothing too overpowering in the aroma. Balanced but still a little too light for me.

T- Light citrus in the front end of this with a light almost banana off flavor. Bready malts in this due a nice job of making this more balanced then I thought it would of had. Light earthy musty flavor in the back end of the beer. Nothing over the top but just right for me.

M- Medium light mouthfeel. Carbonation is good for the beer. Clean tasting through and through. Nice bready malts with a touch of orange on the palate and into the aftertaste. Nothing overpowering once again in the mouthfeel.

D- This is a very drinkable beer. I was surprised with this one. I am starting to remember that just because it comes in a can doesn't mean it will be bad. Would recommend to anyone who wants to either try the style or come back to a good beer in the style.

alleykatking, Jan 30, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +10.5%

Received in trade from TexIndy, Thanks for the opportunity.

Pours a cloudy pale golden color with a monstrous creamy white head that shows much resilience. Fruity bready aromas waft in front of my nose with some bitter citrus as a supporting player. Taste is creamy rich and malty with lots of fruit citrus and honey. Rich creamy velvety mouthfeel, medium level of carbonation, light to medium body. I am very impressed with this one. Very light and flavorful. I could see downing many of these if I still lived in Houston.

johnnnniee, Jan 29, 2010

Blondes are not one of my favorite styles, but this might be converting me.

A hazy blonde color ("Clarity is overrated" on the can). Good lacing all the way down even though the head faded fast.

Fruity aromas and flavors. Very smooth and creamy. Nice mouthfeel and flavors. Much creamier and richer tasting than the ABV would lead you to expect.

Very drinkable, very smooth. I will have to drink more blondes because I just might like this style.

JAramini, Jan 29, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +10.5%

Golden colored, quite cloudy and hazy, making slightly opaque. head is thick and frothy and sticks down the sides. smell is a bit fruity. mostly pear and apple. little hop aroma. taste follows the smell, with hints of pear. hints of a bready finish. definately a nice malt background on it. a slight bitterness closes out the finish. drinkability is incredibly high on this one.

jpaltan, Jan 23, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +15.4%

Pours a golden orange with a nice, one-finger white head. The beer is slightly hazy. The aroma is wheat, lemon, malt and some honey. The flavor is very nice, with some citrus and honey and biscuit malt. I also get a little caramel characteristic in the flavor. The mouthfeel is medium and very creamy. Medium carbonation. A great blonde ale and it is nice to see a brewery actually try and pack flavor into a beer of this style, instead of just brewing a watered-down beer, calling it a blonde ale and targeting BMC drinkers.

Mora2000, Jan 18, 2010
3.68/5  rDev -0.8%

Thanks to maximum12 for yet another secret santa beer. Poured from a can into a smuttynose pint glass. The pour yields a hazy golden orange body with a thick frothy bone white head. When held up to the light the beer is foggy and hazy, adding an inviting depth to the appearance.

The smell is crisp graham cracker malt, sharp wheat, lemon zest and a hint of floral and citrus hops.

The taste follows the smell very closely. This one is very malt forward, but it's a crisp, sharp, light malt. Lots of light and sweet graham cracker introduces the flavors, followed by a crisp light lemon hop character, further evened out by some fresh cut grass hoppiness.

The beer is well carbonated, has a light sharp mouthfeel and crisp finish. It takes all the desirable traits of an american macro (light, easy to drink, crisp mouthfeel) and adds a bit of body, depth and a very nice balanced flavor. This is something I would definitely like to see in New England, especially during the summer months.

rpstevens, Jan 14, 2010
3.9/5  rDev +5.1%

Pour - more amber than blonde in color. Nice carbonation levels with a great looking head. Pretty nice looking pour I must say, I would've missed out on this if I had drank it straight from the can.

Aroma - slight hints of malty, grains and a bit of citrusy hops. Pretty mellow in aroma, nothing too intense but non-offensive that is for sure.

Taste - sweet and tangy with some subtle floral hop flavors. Some similarities between aroma and taste that is for sure. I'd say the maltiness is the biggest surprise this beer has to offer. This is not a watery blonde like some that I've had and stand out as one of the better versions of the style as far as I'm concerned. Nice work Southern Star.

Overall - solid, full-flavored Blonde ale. Nothing too crazy but thats what makes this extremely smooth and easy drinking. Another great candidate for camping and disc golf (or whatever other outdoor activity you find yourself doing).

Would I buy more of it? - sure, if I lived down in Texas I could see myself drinking a few of these from time to time.

indiapaleale, Jan 04, 2010
3.85/5  rDev +3.8%

Thanks goes out to JJFoodie for this brew.

Pours a very nice cloudy yellow color, nice carbonation, HUGE three-finger foamy head, which settles down to some very nice sticky lacing. The nose is malty, slight yeast note, citrus. The taste is sweet, malty, nice little touch of yeast, also some nice citrus notes. Light/Medium body. Drinkable, a very nice easy drinker.

Wasatch, Jan 03, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I have Southern Star beers on tap all the time and don't really get a chance to review them as it may be "Big Ass Beer" night at Molly's in the Woodlands or something and I will have had plenty...with no palate left for reviewing. I finally have some of the Blonde that I bought for friends to hopefully "convert" them. Anyway, on to the review...

Appearance: Pours a slightly cloudy yellow color with a slight orangish hue to it. There was a 1/4" head of loose bubbles right after the pour, and after about 30 seconds that mutated into about a 1/2" thick creamy looking head...nice. There are plenty of bubbles rising to keep the head thick even a few minutes after the pour it was still as thick as ever.

Aroma: I initially get a fresh hop bouquet with a pronounced bready malt background. These aromas are very distinct and separate. After the beer sits, the malt gets quite a bit more bready and takes on a wheat-beer like quality. As it sits further, there is a honey malt coming out to play with the other aromatics that are still present.

Taste: The flavor follows the aroma pretty closely with the fresh floral hops and the bready malt. The beer is significantly creamier than any other examples of this style that I have had, and this is quite pleasant. The carbonation is a little on the high side, but this does the beer well in the drinkability category as it slips across the palate rather quickly and ends up being a very quick one to go down. The finish is clean and refreshing with no alcohol noticeable. The creaminess and the carbonation carry the beer into the finish rather quickly. There is only enough bittering hops to keep the beer from being sweet, but the malt in the dominant player in the finish.

Opinion: I might be jaded as this brewery is just minutes from my house, so I am getting the beer as fresh as it can be. This is a session beer, and I think that it is a very good example of the style. I like the complexity to the malt on the palate and the fact that the hops are noticeable, but play a supporting role in the finish. All this combines into what I would call one of the best examples of this style. I would definitely recommend it!

SkeeterHawk, Jan 02, 2010
3.88/5  rDev +4.6%

Thanks to my main man in Texas jasonjlewis for the extra hookup! I love Pine Belt Pale so let's give their blonde a whirl.

A-Slightly hazy (clarity is overrated) orange-copper with a medium off-white head that reduced to a thin ring and left decent lace.

S-Biscuit malt a touch of cornbread and a nice, light fruitiness.

T-Good biscuit malt base with a spicy hop zip, bit of lemon zest and a mellow apple fruitiness. A surprising amount of flavour for such a "light" beer.

M-Medium-light bodied fairly sharp and crisp with good lingering spicy notes.

D-Southern Star does it again. A very nicely done, sessionable American Blonde. Plenty of flavour, light and easy to drink. This one would stand up nicely at a Texas BBQ on a hot, dry summer day deep in the heart of...

Deuane, Dec 24, 2009
3.53/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The first point and really only valid point i'll make here is cans are much easier to jam in your suitcase and survive the trip, no broken bottles that leak all over your chones, nuff said.
I liked this beer, refreshing, not much of an aftertaste, citrusy and clean. Can is retro and all so way to go with that if you like that stuff, pick some up.

chickencoop, Dec 18, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +16.7%

A= Pours a murky orange with pillowy white head.

s= Smells of freshly crushed vienna malts and bread crust. Nice play between the malt and the yeast here.

F= Follows the aroma, faint spice from hops alongside the baked bread.

M= Is somewhat light but fluffy, nice play of carbonation.

D= Is out of sight. Could drink this all day and not get bored, which is rare for most texas blondes.

mcfisty, Dec 17, 2009