Buried Hatchet Stout - Southern Star Brewing Company

Buried Hatchet StoutBuried Hatchet Stout

Southern Star Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.25% ABV

Jet-black in color, this monster smells of coffee and chocolate. The taste is much of the same, with hints of creamy toffee and roasted malt. Smooth and delicious, this medium bodied ale is all about the malts, but has enough hop bitterness to be balanced.

Malt: Rahr Special Pale, Crisp Brown Malt, Briess Roast Malt , Rahr White Wheat , Rolled Oats
Hops: Saphir
Yeast: California Ale

(Beer added by: armock on 01-03-2009)
View: Beers (17) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
mater

4.25/5  rDev +6.8%

Received as an extra from miikezombie

A-Pours a dark brown color. The big head faded pretty quickly, but left a thin film on top that stayed for most of the glass. Not much lacing.

S-Lots of milk chocolate, with a hint of coffee.

T-A little roasty at first, but then the milk chocolate taste takes over with a slight lingering coffee taste in the end.

M-Very smooth and creamy. Goes down nice. I can't detect any alcohol in this.

O-This is pretty good! Glad I have another can.

05-02-2011 06:34:52 | More by mater
rye726

Colorado

4.28/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Up for review is a can of Buried Hatchet Stout from some brewery down in Texas. Ah yes, Southern Star I believe. Poured at 55 degrees as stated on can. Nice dark brown pour with a silky tan head, great lace. Losts of sweet brown malts, candy, ans some molasses. Medium drinks really well. Decent stout, I like the strong use of brown malts. Just don't look for it to be a huge, crazy super stout. Much closer to the traditional offerings we may have seen on cask in Olde England.

And it's in a can!

04-29-2011 01:46:54 | More by rye726
OddNotion

4.03/5  rDev +1.3%

Received as one of many many extras from a very generious BA. Thanks adam320!

Poured into my Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary Bulb glass.

Appearance: Pours a deep brown with a one finger light khaki head. Nice carbonation bubbles constantly streaming towards the top. While I generally like my Imperial Stouts to be pitch black I do find this one to look very appealing. It seems that the head has no intention of receding any time soon. Now half way done and the head has not receded what so ever. Probably the most resiliant one I have ever encountered.

Smell: Sweet, roasty, milk chocolate. Yum, I can keep on smelling this, cant wait for it to get warmer and see how much more comes out. Surprisingly not as strong smell as it warms, almost catch a little metal.

Taste: Nice and roasty but not in your face. A little subdued. Catch the chocolate at the end of the sip. Not even a hint of alcohol, well hidden.

Mouthfeel: A little on the thinner side which is not what I like in my big stouts. I suppose it is a better match for the subdued flavors. Higher on the carbonation that many Imperial Stouts. Feels a little more creamy as it warms up.

Overall: I was excited to see this and so glad I got the chance to try it. I love the generosity of the trading community. Without them I would never get the chance to try a beer such as this. It is certainly a solid beer and would think it is a great stout to introduce someone to the style with. Honestly, this could be a very good hot weather stout as it is not necessarily a sipper, probably a good attribute as Texas doesnt see too much cold weather.

04-26-2011 00:45:11 | More by OddNotion
dcloeren

4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

Poured from a can into my Duvel tulip

Poured a dark chocolate brown with golden orange hues around the edges and at the bottom of my glass. Got a solid 2 fingers of foamy cream head that very slowly (like half way through my beer) dissipated into a solid film. Solid lacing all the way down my glass

The scent of this stout exploded as soon as I started to pour. Smells Great! Getting some solid dark chocolate with cocoa powder, coffee and deep roasted malt. The scent is very earthy, warming and inviting.

The taste is following the nose quite nicely! Dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee with a little milk, possibly some oatmeal and subtle hints of vanilla. This is one delicious brew. I would almost compare this to a dessert coffee, decadent and delicious

The mouthfeel is possibly the best part of this beer. These guys did it right. Its hot 10 months out of the year in TX and they made this beer exceptionally creamy and smooth for having a thin body. Coats every bit of your mouth with each sip until you refresh the coat with another sip

Overall, I couldnt ask for a better everyday stout. This is and will remain a staple in my fridge. Now if you'll excucse me, I'm going to go grab another. Cheers

Mad props to Southern Star

04-25-2011 18:50:20 | More by dcloeren
KeefD

2.73/5  rDev -31.4%

Thanks to DavoleBomb for the chance to try something from a new brewery! Pours brown and is brown in the glass. Two fingers worth of khaki head that left lots of lacing down the glass. I'm getting some light notes of chocolate and caramel/toffee but little else in the nose, maybe a slightly grassy herbal thing going on, and a touch of metallic twang. Yep, the strange metallic notes show up in the flavor as well. There's almost a grape-like vinous flavor with some chocolate malt buried deep within. There's no roast to be found, which is really a shame for an imperial stout. Body is medium with low carbonation. Overall, nothing close to what I really enjoy in an imperial stout. I want more body, more chocolate, more roast. This has little of any of those.

04-24-2011 16:40:34 | More by KeefD
prototypic

3.45/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Many thanks to dcloeren for the can!

Buried Hatchet Stout is a dark, mahogany brown color. A little light reveals some burgundy highlights at the edges. Darker than I expected. A creamy tan head covers it. It stands roughly a finger tall, and recedes rather quickly. Lacing was light and spotty.

The nose is pretty good, but is a little on the weak side. It is very malty. Smells like a mix of cocoa-esque chocolate and brown malts. Roasted coffee is definitely in the house and complements the malty notes well. Smells a little toasty and breadlike. Alcohol is masked pretty well. I wouldn’t guess 8%+ territory. It’s simple and straight forward, but smells pretty good. More strength would help.

The flavor is on-par with the nose. It’s very malty, but not sweet at all. Brown malts and bittersweet cocoa are the base. Coffee is in the mix, but it’s a secondary flavor. Nonetheless, a little coffee is always welcome. It has a bready flavor to it, and is a little toasty. Alcohol really isn’t much of a factor. Again, I’m surprised that this is over 8%. The flavor profile is quite simple, but it’s really pretty good. Good beer doesn’t have to be complicated.

Buried Hatchet Stout has a body that’s on the light side of medium. It feels thin, and is average for the style. Carbonation is light, but it feels too thin to be smooth. More body is needed. For what it’s worth, it goes down easy for a relatively big beer.

Buried Hatchet Stout is a pretty good release from Southern Star Brewing. Frankly, I wasn’t expecting much, but it’s not bad at all. A tad bit more of everything would bump it up a notch or two. That includes aromatics, flavor, and body. It’s really pretty decent though. Probably a little better than this score might reflect.

04-23-2011 03:27:49 | More by prototypic
xnicknj

2.63/5  rDev -33.9%

12oz can poured into snifter - thanks to biglobo for the extra!

Pours a deep black, thick tanned head, retains through almost the whole beer, thick lacing on the glass.

Roasted malts, chocolate with caramel, light toffee, and warmth, but there's an unfortunate metallic ping, slight tartness.

Pretty similar experience with the taste, roasted malts and dark chocolate, some bitter hops also on the front end. The metallic notes come through and essentially wreck the profile though, followed by a definite tartness. Finishes very off with some slight alcohol warmth.

Full medium body, higher carbonation, tingly but still somewhat creamy. Yeah, this might be good without the oxidation and onset of infection. Total bummer...I'll re-review this if I get another one.

04-20-2011 00:52:42 | More by xnicknj
UCLABrewN84

2.6/5  rDev -34.7%

Thanks to Exiled for sending this one to me!

Pours a murky dark brown color with a huge 3 inch tan head that lasts. Head forms a puffy island in the middle of the glass with lattice lacing on the sides of the glass on the drink down. Smells of dark malt, brown sugar, and peanut butter. This is a very unique smell on a stout, but I am liking it. Sadly, the taste is not that good to me as this stout is sour. Roasted malt, slight vinegar, and peanut butter are the tastes I get. Beer is completely flat and watery. Overall, I am not a fan of this beer but I appreciate the chance to try it!

04-14-2011 02:31:01 | More by UCLABrewN84
mulder1010

Australia

3.98/5  rDev 0%

12 oz can poured into a tulip
Thanks to Optimator13 and Jefferz5000 for the cans as have multiple cans.

A-- Poured a light cola color and settled a dark ruby color with a lot of red that came through. Head is a light sandpaper color and at a finger height. On swirling got a bit higher head and quickly dropped back to one finger. Did take it's time in dying off. Coulpe streaks of lacing but not much else.

S-- Toasted candied pecans or almonds. Very nutty and sweet. Get hints of vanilla extract and sweet chocolate. Milk shake I think.

T-- Sure this is not an Imperial Brown Ale?? A lot of brown malts and carmel in this. Just flashes of coffee at first that give way to Carmel and nuttiness to this. Even more pecan and almond in the taste.

M-- Creamy and nutty, flashes of nuts, Carmel, brown sugar, some roasted coffee. Medium carbonation and medium feel. To me has all the elements of a brown ale but more malt and just the right touches of sweetness. Finishes sweet with just touches of nuts again.

O-- To me this is not a stout but an Imperial Brown Ale. Moose Drool on crack. Very well done. Not overly sweet and not overly nutty. Good balance. ABV is pretty well hidden and wishing I had my others here with me. In due time they will be here. If I rate this as a stout I would really downgrade this as really not that close to an Imperial/ Double stout.

04-13-2011 15:43:39 | More by mulder1010
Phoptos

3.78/5  rDev -5%

Won in a "beer bracket" contest for March Madness. Poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

A: Aggressive pour, got an almost 2 finger light tan head on it that lingers a bit and eventually gives way to a nice lace.

S: A dense chocolate nose with traces of roasted coffee beans and slight vanilla wafer.

T: Same as the nose, really smooths out on the back end with the chocolate taking over and vanilla punctuating the flavor.

M: Creamy, smooth and doesn't coat. With as bold as the flavor is, the beer doesn't leave you with another sip after you finish.

O: When all is said and done, this is a sold stout especially from the atypical can presentation. Nothing I'd run out and buy but if I saw it make its way to MA, I'd consider picking some up to have in the house from time to time.

04-12-2011 00:51:43 | More by Phoptos
dciBA

Maine

3.8/5  rDev -4.5%

Poured from the can(cool) into a basic pint glass. Color is a dark chocolatey brown. A fingers worth of tan head sticks around for the duration.

It smells like a cup of hot cocoa. Milk chocolate with some vanilla and hint of roasted coffeee beans. Very pleasant, sweet smell. Glad I'm enjoying this as a dessert beer.

Taste has lots of creamy milk chocolate. Every sip leaves you with the flavor of bitter dark chocolate in the finish. The hop bitterness works perfectly with the chocolate flavor while being hardly noticeable on it's own. There's also a minor amount of smokiness which adds a nice complexity.

Mouthfeel is the only downer with this one. On the thin side with a bit too much carbonation. No hint at all of the 8.5% Flavor lingers for a bit, but not too long. I was not expecting this much chocolate when I cracked the can open but have to admit I'm definitely enjoying it.

04-07-2011 00:02:07 | More by dciBA
weizenbob

3.73/5  rDev -6.3%

This twelve ounce can was received in a trade with dizknee24. Thanks Pete. I did not locate any canning date. I cracked the top and poured into a tulip-shaped Guinness imperial pint. It was served around 55°F per suggestion on the can. I appreciate serving instructions and see them as a sign of beer advocacy.

The pour yields a solid finger of foamy tan head. Retention is moderate. Lacing slides down the glass as the brew disappears. Color-wise this is easily the lightest stout I have ever poured. The cola-like shade is more reminiscent of brown ale than stout (not nearly jet-black, as stated on Southern Star's website). It looks interesting but only because it took me off guard. It's not what you'd call true to style.

The aroma is unique as well. As soon as the top was popped the fragrances aggressively commenced their escape. With my nose to the pint I smell a lot of sweetness and the heavy-handed aroma of dark chocolate. Alcohol is eminent on the nose. Beyond that it smells a little thin, but the initial aroma is enticing enough.

The initial bite on the tongue is surprisingly bitter. This stout is making full use of its 50 IBU count. There is a really nice roasted malt flavor. Subtle notes of unsweetened bakers chocolate weave in and out. For as sweet as this beer smells, it is not really all that sweet on the tongue. This is not a complaint; it's simply another surprise handed out by this mysterious stout. There is a small trace of cooked veggies that (thankfully) goes nearly unnoticed. On the way down the hatch it is quite alcoholic, but not boozy. The finish is laced with hoppy bitterness. It is certainly unique.

This is a medium bodied beer that is moderately carbonated. It doesn't lean on a lot of gimmicks, nor is it jacked up with coffee, chocolate or oats, such are many top tier high gravity stouts. In that sense I applaud the brewmaster for doing so much with so little. However I must disclose that the feel is thinner than I have come to expect from an imperial stout. That's actually a bit of a disappointment.

If there is one word to describe this stout, it is unique. It seems to be playing by its own set of rules. That includes some risk. When it hits the mark (scent, taste) it is outstanding, and when it misses (look, feel) it is nearing disappointment. Buried Hatchet is listed at 8.25% ABV and though I kind of like that the alcohol hasn't been hidden behind heaps of oats and coffee, it doesn't lend itself to extended sessioning. But it's also not a full-on desert beer. So while I should be sipping this I find myself burning through the pint, all the while knowing that I will not be having another in this sitting. This is a really interesting brew, and though it confuses and confounds me at the moment, I could really dig it in the proper atmosphere.

---

The Two-Schlitz Scale™: (see my profile for an explanation)
I give a Schlitz about Buried Hatchet, but living in a state that brews so many stellar stouts (Michigan), it's hard to get too excited about this.

04-06-2011 02:58:36 | More by weizenbob
KickbacksSteve

4.35/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured out of 12 ounce can into Efes tulip. Small, short lived head with clear, oily lacing. Aroma dominated by roasted malt and coffee. Color is a murky dark tudor brown. Taste also dominated by the roasted malt, coffee and a touch of brown sugar. Interesting and unique for an imperial stout. Tastes like a roasty brown ale, not imperialized. A testament to how well the alcohol is masked by the flavor. Great beer, easy to drink.

04-05-2011 05:17:02 | More by KickbacksSteve
BrewerB

4.05/5  rDev +1.8%

Thanks to miikezombie for hooking it up in a recent trade.

Deep brown,with reddish streaks, formed a 2-3 finger light tan head that slowly slimmed down to a half-inch but retains well, persisting throughout the session. Plums, coffee, dark chocolate, floral hops in the nose. Rich malt profile dominates the taste buds and gives impressions of semi sweet chocolate, molasses, and a touch of caramel. Hefty body and appropriate carbonation remind drinker this beer means business. Lacking some of the intense "imperial" character you find in some of this style's best but a worthwhile beverage to enjoy.

04-04-2011 01:21:35 | More by BrewerB
dgfair

4.4/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Ejoying this beer brewed near Houston as the Kentucky Wildcats gear up for their national semifinal game in about two hours.

12oz can poured into imperial pint.

Pours a very dar chocolate brown with a dark tan head. Some garnet highlights shine through as i hold the beer to the light.

Smell is very nice. Chocolate, caramel, toffee, and a molasses sweetness. It smells like a freshly made chocolate iced doughnut with a little drizzle of maple caramel on top. I'm really digging this.

Taste is like an espresso chocolate milk...really delicious. There is a very nice roasted malt that holds the background and there is the perfect amount of hop bitterness that keeps it from being a sweet bomb.

Mouth is smooth and creamy without leaving a bad coating behind. Overall, I am very impressed with this offering from Southern Star. Definitely the best I have tried from them to date.

04-02-2011 22:50:42 | More by dgfair
mdunman

4.18/5  rDev +5%

A: Thick brown-black with a big head and some good linger

S: Rich roasted malt with some coffee/chocolate notes

T: Roasted malt and coffee/chocolate take over early on and progress into a slightly dry complementary finish.

M: Full body, decent carbonation

Very enjoyable beer. This makes me want to drive out to Conroe and tour their brewery.

03-27-2011 01:46:32 | More by mdunman
neal8929

2.65/5  rDev -33.4%

appearance:
I can not see through a can.

Smell:
Smells very good no complaints

Taste:
Strong chocolate taste, pretty strong aftertaste. Reminds me of Youngs double chocolate stout

mouthfeel:
I have had better. Although I will say it it not very bitter.

03-24-2011 04:45:37 | More by neal8929
sentomaster

Connecticut

3.55/5  rDev -10.8%

A- rich dark brown with a big, fluffy off white head which is slow to recede

S- big, strong mocha like roasty aroma, with a touch of earthy herbal and dark licorice aromas.

T/M- Follows the nose with a big, rich, malty, mocha like flavor. Again earthy flavors of anise and powdered dutch cocoa. There's a current of earthy and prominent yet subdued nuttiness running through it. A little thin in the body for the style, but this makes it super drinkable for a double stout.

A really unique imperial stout. The loads of light roasty and soft bittersweet flavors mix with a nice herbal dark licorice hop flavor....very unique, but also somewhat uninspiring, a sessionable imperial stout?

03-22-2011 03:08:17 | More by sentomaster
Ghenna

4.33/5  rDev +8.8%

Received as part of /r/beertrade 's BOTM for February trade. 12oz can

Pours a deep brown with a khaki head that dissipates fairly quickly. No lacing to speak of.

Smells ofCoffee, chocolate, and roast in the nose. A bit of caramelized sugar in the background as well.

In a word, taste is good. Like, really good. Lots of roasted malt dark chocolate and coffee.

Despite being 8.5% the alcohol is very well hidden. As it warms up it reminds me of a decadent dark chocolate (no homo). The wiv, not a fan of higher abv beers, is even a fan. We both agree it is like drinking a dark chocolate bar with 70% cacao. This is definitely a beer I will ask for in future beer trades I have with texans.

03-18-2011 04:11:00 | More by Ghenna
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

4.35/5  rDev +9.3%

Acquired from kiltedtxn courtesy of the Nice Cans BIF, so a big "Thank You" goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep dark brown color, with a large off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains roasted malts, chocolate, some coffee and a very faint touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out with very creamy flavors of chocolate and coffee along with a hearty roasted malt character that remain prevalent the whole time you drink the beer. The hops presence is very mild even for the style but it works quite well for this beer as there's a nice balance regardless. The after-taste is creamy and slightly sweet.

M: Smooth and a little crisp, medium-to-heavy body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Very tasty, goes down quite easily, slightly filling, good kick, very good representation of style, this is an excellent stout worth drinking for a very long time.

03-15-2011 04:30:32 | More by TheManiacalOne
SanAnMan

4.22/5  rDev +6%

A - dark black fading to a light amber towards the lip of the glass it was poured into. Head non-existent almost (well poured from the waitress). Very slight lacing in the glass that sticks well to the glass. Good start.

S - mostly a dark cocoa nose, with hints of anise and a sweet aroma like melted chocolate. Slight touch of smokiness here. Served cold, would expect more of this when warmed.

T - Really unique. A balance of smoked wood and earth tones combines with bitter chocolate, roasted malt, and some sweetness on the back palate. A touch of Dutch cocoa lingers on the aftertaste. Really distinctive flavor profile; well worth trying for those of the dark beer lovers.

M - rich and full-flavored make this a sipping beer. Sweetness makes you wanna come back. A slight burn in he upper palate from the alcohol. A little aging couldn't hurt his one. Coats the roof of the mouth.

D - as I let this one come up to temp, it appealed to me more and more. I'll admit to a predisposition towards stouts, but you could do worse than this one. Bonus points for being both domestically brewed and semi-local. Would buy again if given the chance.

03-13-2011 03:36:51 | More by SanAnMan
Fenris244

4.33/5  rDev +8.8%

Pours black with a thick tan head, decent retention, thick creamy lace is left behind,

Smell is creamy and chocolatey with some coffee and some roasted bitter notes

Chocolatey in taste as well, almost a nuttiness to the taste as well, followed by a roasted bitterness and a caramel flavor on the finish as well as some warming from the alcohol.

Medium in body and quite creamy, super smooth, very drinkable.

All in all an excellent stout, definitely a new go to.

03-13-2011 01:00:12 | More by Fenris244
kevinv

4.2/5  rDev +5.5%

Thanks to gawnphishin for tossing in this extra.

A - Beautiful chestnut brown pour with a billowing 3 finger tan head with great retention. Not much in the way of lacing, only a few spots here and there.

S - Sweet aromas of bitter chocolate, a light coffee scent, and some roasted notes.

T - Bittersweet chocolate and cocoa powder. Subtle coffee undertones. A nice charred taste in the finish with a bit of vanilla. Mild presence of hops. No alcohol noted in the taste.

M - A little light bodied for the style. As other reviewers have noted, the mouthfeel seems closer to an American Stout rather than a double/imperial. Good balance of carbonation.

D - Solid drinkability. Alcohol is well hidden.

This one is different from many of your other double/imperials, but in a good way. Great beer and one I'd definitely like to have again.

03-10-2011 03:39:10 | More by kevinv
chefelf

3.75/5  rDev -5.8%

A good solid stout and, possibly the first stout I've ever had from a can where there wasn't some strange plastic device rattling around the bottom after I was done.

Stout is not a personal favorite but I did enjoy this one. It had the smell of dried porcini mushrooms which I find is not uncommon in stouts. I think this is due to some olfactory defect on my part.

03-08-2011 15:41:14 | More by chefelf
boston2bburg

3.93/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Dark brown, a shade below black, with a tight, tan head.

Rich, coffee ice cream, and thick bready/biscuity aroma. Very deep and unique.

Coffee with lots of cream, and a bready, malted chocolate ball sweetness, with some toffee notes. Thinnish body, with prickly carbonation a touch higher than moderate. Quite malt-forward, without much hop flavor but a firm bitterness. Some fruity esters appear with warmth.

Alcohol is fairly noticeable, and perhaps a touch hot. Residual sweetness aids mouthfeel, but stops short of chewy or velvety.

Carbonation could stand to be lower and alcohol a bit more subdued. Flavor is nice and distinct, leaning heavily on coffee while chocolate and dark fruit flavors take a back seat. Worth seeking out. Thanks Doug!

03-08-2011 02:53:18 | More by boston2bburg