Walloon - Southern Star Brewing Company

Texas, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: champ103 on 05-16-2011

Grisette was a style of beer developed in the 1800s in the Hainaut provence of southern Belgium to slake the thrists of coal and stone miners.
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 143 | Reviews: 31
4.2/5  rDev +15.7%

Had this for the first time as a small sample and couldn't wait to try it again so I picked up a growler first chance I got.

Pours like a light hefeweizen with a small head and plenty of carbonation. Smell has a nice light mixture of sweet citrus, banana, and a little saison farmhouse. Taste is very refreshing with a sweet character which mimics the smell. Mouthfeel is light with a good carbonation.

Overall this is a very solid beer. I would have preferred just a little heavier body, but as is it is a very refreshing drink on a hot summer day. It is a bit too easy to keep drinking this one.

3.96/5  rDev +9.1%

On tap at Petrol Station. Pours a cloudy wheat looking color, pretty much opaque. Smell- clove, spice, lemon zest. Not as strong of a smell as I have experienced from Saisons in the past, but this is my first Grisette, so who knows? Taste- strong carbonation, a sharp orange lemon blast to the back of the throat. There is a wheat like presence here as well. This one is awesome, and I'm sad they aren't canning it.

3.83/5  rDev +5.5%

On tap at Meddlesome Moth. Pours slightly dark for a saison-style, with a pillowy, not so fizzy head that stays for awhile. Smell is citrusy but not very funky. Has a little bit of a tart scent to it as well. Tastes a bit fruitier than I thought it might, with a background sourness that keeps it from being at all sweet. The sourness isn’t prosthetic to the flavor of the beer, but it doesn’t blend in perfectly either. More than anything I think the beer needs more carbonation to balance the sourness. It feels thick towards the end, leaving the beer much less refreshing than it could be. Still, a fine beer with some interesting character—and that I hope to have more of.

3.43/5  rDev -5.5%

Appearance-Cloudy orange, looks very much like a hefweizen. Big bubbly off white head, about 2 fingers that immediate dissipates and leaves minimal lacing.

Smell-Breadiness with some citrus and spice, some light banana peel in there as well.

Taste-Sweet citrus with some funk, followed by banana and spice.

Mouthfeel-Light bodied with alot of carbonation. Palate cleansing, slight crisp, somewhat refreshing.

Overall-Good beer. Drinkable, easy to drink. Would order one of these on tap.

The beer pours a cloudy orange color with a white head. The aroma is a mix of some farmhouse funk as well as some orange citrus and wheat notes. Very inviting. The flavor is more of the same. I get some hay, grass and grain notes as well as some orange citrus and other tropical fruit notes. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Very easy to drink and very refreshing.

3.6/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This made it back to Petrol Station after the initial release, and I was glad to try some. I have no idea what style to add this under. I guess Saison makes the most sense.

A: Pours a cloudy orange/yellow color. A one finger white head forms, but recedes to nothing. No lace is left.
S: Spicy, phenolic, banana esters. Light funk character. Simple and a little one dimensional.
T: Again, very one dimensional. Phenolic, banana, spice and a lingering sweetness.
M/D: A light to medium body that is a bit under carbonated. Very dry which I like. I just wish there was a bit more body. Very easy to drink. I can certainly put a few away without a problem.

Very interesting, and enjoyable. Most of the flavor is coming from the yeast, which is nice. I just want a bit more character. Still, I can see myself drinking several more when I get the chance. Cheers to Southern Star for trying something unique.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »