Pro-AM 2011 (Cascadian Dark Ale) - Southern Star Brewing Company

Pro-AM 2011 (Cascadian Dark Ale)
No picture uploaded.

Southern Star Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

American Black Ale |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: champ103 on 09-10-2011)
Reviews by shoky01:

4.22/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured from a keg at the Draught House 43rd Anniversary Party.

The beer pours a dark brown to black color with a tan head. The aroma is very nice. I get quite a bit of medium-roasted malt, as well as some nice orange citrus and pine notes from the hops. Both the hop and malt components go well together.

The flavor follows suit. I get some chocolate and roasted malt notes, along with some orange, grapefruit and pine. The bitterness is low to medium and the beer is very easy to drink. The alcohol is well hidden.

Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. I am not a huge fan of Black IPAs but this one was very good.

3.5/5  rDev -10.5%

2.93/5  rDev -25.1%

Growler fill from Petrol Station Houston.

A- Very dark brown with cola colored highlights at the edges. Poured with vigor gives me a nice 2 finger mocha colored head. The appearance of this beer is probably its strong point.

S- Roasted malts, good amount hops, little bit of dark fruits most of this is muted by a pretty overwhelming alcohol scent.

T- Not my cup of tea. This thing is a bit of mess on my palate. Roasted malts up front followed by lots of bittering hops. Flavor and aroma of the hops doesn't seem like a good match for the roasted malts. Way too much heat from the alcohol on this one.

M- Decent nothing to complain about, nothing to write home about.

O- I guess I was hoping for a little more. I guess I should have given it a taste before getting a growler fill, as I had a bit of a problem getting through my whole growler.Last years Pro-AM was off the charts delicious. I love southern star this one just missed the mark for me.

3.1/5  rDev -20.7%

On tap at the Flying Saucer in Houston.

A: Pours a dark brown, nearly black color. A two finger beige head forms with good retention. Some lace is left behind.
S: Resiny, soapy, oily hops. Toasted grains, light chocolate. There is a lingering bitterness.
T: Again, soapy and resinous hops. Light citrus. Some toasted grains, chocolate, and a lingering grapefruit bitterness. I do not know the alcohol content, but I can really taste it. Not really a fan.
M/D: A medium to full body. Moderate carbonation that is fairly creamy and smooth. Plenty of alcohol is noticeable. More of a one and done for me.

Like most other offerings from this "style" I am not a fan. Also like other versions, I do not really understand what the point is? A hoppy beer that happens to be dark in color. Not that original. Maybe fans of this type of beer will appreciate this, but I will pass next time.

2.5/5  rDev -36.1%

4.9/5  rDev +25.3%

Unfreaking believable beer! Had this on draft at the 2011 Art of Beer in Beaumont Texas and I have to say that I was very impressed. The hops were amazing and in my opinion it was the most unique out of all of the lineup that night.

Nice head on the pour, chocolate brown laces which pull back slowly. Smell of beautiful hops, alcohol was very masked on the nose and roasted nuts, raisins and lots chocolate/hops (amazing smell!!!)

Another grand beer Southern Star!

3.5/5  rDev -10.5%

3.75/5  rDev -4.1%

3.38/5  rDev -13.6%

On tap at two different bars in Austin.

A. As dark as any stout and with a tan-coloured head.

S. Lots of dark-roasted malt aromas of coffee, chocolate, some liquorice maybe? Looking for the hops, not finding them yet.

T. More of the same. I'm really enjoying the dark roast malt character of this beer, but still looking for the hop flavour. I'm not even getting much bitterness.

M. Medium bodied, smooth, satisfying.

O. Maybe the kegs I drank from were past their best, but what I got from this beer is that it's too much Black and not enough IPA. If I didn't know this was a Black IPA I'd be wondering why this Schwarzbier was so heavy on the mouthfeel. Perhaps it was better when fresh.

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

Pro-AM 2011 (Cascadian Dark Ale) from Southern Star Brewing Company