Pro-AM 2012 (Imperial IPA) - Southern Star Brewing Company

Pro-AM 2012 (Imperial IPA)Pro-AM 2012 (Imperial IPA)

Southern Star Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

(Beer added by: lnashsig on 08-15-2012)
Reviews by KKB:
4.6/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A – Provocative. An orange amber with a tall yellow-white head with tight-knit bubbles that sit on top looking stickily back at me. Superb lacing and retention. Big thumbs up.

S – Hops, hops, hops, hops. Some pronounced malty, caramel scent, but primarily pine resin, citrus, juicy, tropical, grapefruity, floral hops. All coming for my nostrils. Smells so incredibly good. One of those beers that you smell, and then pull your face away, and then bring it right back and smell it again, and repeat this process 3-9 times.

T – She’s a mouth shredder folks. Super, over-hopped, bitter with what I can only assume is an IBU that is totally off the charts. Just a bitter bomb…but actually after a few sips it becomes more juicy with citrus and grapefruit overtones. Very, very nice transformation. Floral and tropical now, never without losing that bitter character though. Such an interesting symphony of flavors. Really just lovely, it’s singing to me. There is also that dab of malt that is keeping this from being just an outrageous hop bomb, it lends a honey-caramel backdrop that does nothing but contribute.

M – Dry and bitter, but intermittently juicy as they battle it out. Light with a slight chewy/syrupy element that keeps it on the tongue just long enough for you to get the full effect. For a double IPA/Imperial IPA I expected a bit more body, but you know what? I don’t care. This is very well done.

O – I had my first one of these months ago. And I didn’t love it. But I was beyond a novice at the point in time; it was actually one of the first craft beers I had ever had. I have since sampled a smorgasbord or different beers and styles and only about 3 short months have passed. I think that the hops might have died down a little bit since then but I don’t think by much owing to the fact it was in the fridge the whole time. This time, I recognize this beer to be truly unique. Actually, damn good. Perhaps one of the best beers I have ever had. I really love this beer. I hope that it is readily available when I move back east, but I won’t forget it in any sense. I HIGHLY recommend this beer to someone who likes...well, beer. But more importantly someone who loves hop bombs. Just totally, completely awesome. I might need to see if I can track down another 4-pack of this before I leave.

KKB, Dec 05, 2012

Kappakoosh, Dec 26, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -22.4%

SmellsofMahagony, Mar 27, 2013

The beer pours an orange color with a white head. The aroma has some big double IPA notes, with a lot of resinous pine and orange citrus notes. I also get a hint of biscuit malt. The flavor is more of the same. The caramel malt keeps the bitterness from being too high, but what really comes through are some dank, resinous pine and orange citrus. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Mora2000, Oct 26, 2012

IrishGermanAmerican, Aug 28, 2012
4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured out of the can into a tulip glass a burnt orange color with a one finger white head. Low head retention, but great lacing all the way down.

Scent is . . . HOPS, HOPS, HOPS. There's a small amount of alcohol in the nose as well.

The taste is a hop whollop, lots of piney citrus flavors with a great malted backbone. Overall well balanced IIPA flavor.

Mouth-feel is right up the standard for IIPA.

This has to be one of the best Texas Home Brew Winning beers that has been put into limited production (Eat your heart's out Divine Reserve Big Batch Brew Bash Winners, because none of you have equaled this beer).

whoneeds8, Sep 01, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -16.5%

valkyre65, Sep 02, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

#BOTG 115! A new proam release from Southern Star, and SUPER fresh. Just hit stores today. Poured from can into New Belgium tulip. Pours a terrific dark orange/amber color. Thick thick lacing coats the sides of the glass. An incredible looking IPA- really doesnt get better. Smell- Amarillo hops bring out citrus, pine, just a dank IPA smell. Guessing it was dry hopped like crazy with Amarillo. Taste- dank hop resins coat my mouth, but it is quickly balanced by a nice sweet malt backbone. I get pine, orange peel, grapefruit, followed by a nice peach sweet backbone. This is DANGEROUSLY drinkable for a 10% beer. Just through this review I'm halfway through it. In some ways, it reminds me of Deviant Dales with the hop profile. A really terrific job from Southern Star. Makes me proud.

lnashsig, Aug 15, 2012

OGkushington, Oct 12, 2012
4.43/5  rDev +5.7%

This beer blew me away. I have had hits n misses from Southern Star which is only 20 minutes from me. The aroma is combo of piney, grapefruit reminiscent of west coast dipas.

Malt backbone is good and mouthfeel has some stickiness to it, now i am thinking poor man's pliny. color is a deep copper w/a nice bit of head retention and lacing down my duvel glass. finishes well not too sweet and pretty dangerous drinkability for a 10%.

i am proud to say a texas craft beer has a dipa in a can that rivals a bunch of stuff from CO & CA. Well done Southern Star!

kaidasz, Aug 26, 2012

jheezee, Aug 27, 2012
3.85/5  rDev -8.1%

12 oz. can poured into an Ommegang chalice. Thanks to ksurkin for this can.

Appearance - Pours a hazy burnt orange with a nice two finger off-white head. Sticks nicely.

Smell - Grassy and piney hops. Juicy grapefruit and just a hint of that simcoe garlic. There's a ton of hops, but even so a strong sweetness comes through behind. Just a little bit of a burnt malt smell. Gives it a touch of must.

Taste - An intense hop profile similar to the smell. Definite booze kick to it, too. Malty sweetness, but dries out making me think they added some adjunct to get the ABV up. I could have done without that. Healthy bitterness that is amplified by the dry finish.

Mouthfeel - Boozy and dry. Medium heavy. The sweetness is held in check by the bitterness at first, but it gets a little intense in the finish. The bitterness, that is.

Overall - I had high expectations. It's good, it's not great. It's a little rough around the edges and too big. Nice hop profile, though.

Alieniloquium, Oct 06, 2012

BeerRunner, Oct 26, 2012

Dwtucker90, Aug 22, 2012

dumptruck81, Oct 20, 2012

zonker17, Oct 12, 2012

Trying this beer for the first time at Hopfields, Austin -which is one of my favorite places to have beer. Looking at my snifter I'm loving the color; it's a nice, dark-amber color. It has a smooth smell. But let me tell you about the taste! Oh, the taste! You are going to love this Imperial if you are into bolder, richer flavors. This is one of the best I had in a while.

OriginalHopHead, Oct 13, 2012
4.13/5  rDev -1.4%

Another Texas winner that must be commented upon.

Pours dark orange with a long lasting firm white head.

The nose is just what you want in an IPA, none the less a 10% imperial IPA. The big fresh hop nose is very assertive, clean and pure. The high alcohol is not reflected in that "alcohol sweet" character some high abv IPAs can have. Nice nose all around.

Mouthfeel is big, rich and bold. Full bodied with light carbonation and nice bitter balance.

Flavor profile is big pleasant bitter pine and grapefruit skin but with high tones; bright tones and rich deep flavors. There's some burnt toast, "almost sweet" burnt oranges and just a big bitter character.

Finish is all grapefruit oil and long lasting. Another good Texas effort. 09/12

GRG1313, Sep 27, 2012

kbuzz, Sep 16, 2012
2.99/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Another beer from the creator of the canquest, woodychandler. Poured from a 12 oz. can. This beer comes gushing out of the can and has a caramel color with a 1 inch head. Smell is of hops, citrus. Taste is bitter yet not a lot of flavor, the citrus in the smell is not apparent in the taste, maybe a touch of pine and alcohol are present. Feels medium bodied and bitter in the mouth and overall I did not really enjoy this one.

tone77, Jul 21, 2013

beercubus, Sep 17, 2012

Kandla, Oct 04, 2012
4.28/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a nice light ruby color, with a beige colored head. Dissipates to a spongy ring, leaves some spotty lacing. The aroma is slightly sweet and citrusy, some orange, with a caramel sticky maltiness. The taste is much more piny and resinous, with a big bitter bite to it that lingers. Some bright citrus tinges as well with a nice malt profile to balance things out. Solid full body, not too sticky or over-bearing, feels great on the palate.

This is a beast of an IIPA! Love me some pine!

EgadBananas, Sep 07, 2012

Hopmodium, Aug 26, 2012
4.4/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: This beer pours a very nice cloudy dark amber orange with a thick white head that slowly fades.

S: There is a nice spicy hop smell with a tiny bit of sweetness.

T: Just wow! The flavor of this beer is absolutely fantastic. It hits you with a strong hop flavor that explodes in my mouth and has a nice undertone of sweetness to control it just a tad bit. As the beer lingers, the hop flavor slightly fades away and the sweetness becomes more prominent.

M: This beer goes down with ease and has a nice full body. There is a bit of crispness on the tip of the tongue and the back of throat.

O: This is an amazing beer. I was lucky to find just one 4 pack and boy am I glad I found it.. Just amazing.

gtermi, Oct 05, 2012
Pro-AM 2012 (Imperial IPA) from Southern Star Brewing Company