Pro-AM 2012 (Imperial IPA) - Southern Star Brewing Company

Pro-AM 2012 (Imperial IPA)Pro-AM 2012 (Imperial IPA)

Southern Star Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

(Beer added by: lnashsig on 08-15-2012)

Trying this beer for the first time at Hopfields, Austin -which is one of my favorite places to have beer. Looking at my snifter I'm loving the color; it's a nice, dark-amber color. It has a smooth smell. But let me tell you about the taste! Oh, the taste! You are going to love this Imperial if you are into bolder, richer flavors. This is one of the best I had in a while.

OriginalHopHead, Oct 13, 2012

Kandla, Oct 04, 2012

Hopmodium, Aug 26, 2012

kbenson, Nov 01, 2012

MaddDogg84, Oct 17, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

#BOTG 115! A new proam release from Southern Star, and SUPER fresh. Just hit stores today. Poured from can into New Belgium tulip. Pours a terrific dark orange/amber color. Thick thick lacing coats the sides of the glass. An incredible looking IPA- really doesnt get better. Smell- Amarillo hops bring out citrus, pine, just a dank IPA smell. Guessing it was dry hopped like crazy with Amarillo. Taste- dank hop resins coat my mouth, but it is quickly balanced by a nice sweet malt backbone. I get pine, orange peel, grapefruit, followed by a nice peach sweet backbone. This is DANGEROUSLY drinkable for a 10% beer. Just through this review I'm halfway through it. In some ways, it reminds me of Deviant Dales with the hop profile. A really terrific job from Southern Star. Makes me proud.

lnashsig, Aug 15, 2012

joshuacavett, Sep 11, 2012

HopAG, Jan 30, 2013

rssoldier, Oct 19, 2012
4.63/5  rDev +10.2%

I bought this beer because I kept hearing about it on twitter and my beer store recommended it. I have never been a huge fan of Southern Star.

Served at 45 degrees poured in a (512) Snifter.

At first pour the color, body and aroma are instantly obvious and very pleasant. Good head about 1 finger from a non aggressive pour. Pretty good head retention.

It has a strong smell of citrus with hops. My buddy who isn't a craft beer drinker said it smells like weed. I didn't catch that but its worth noting.

Very good balance of hops, citrus and not overly bitter. Taste is reminiscent of Hoptimum and Endeavour. If I had to chose between this and those two I would have a tough decision to make. This beer is that good.

jbeezification, Aug 27, 2012
4.6/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A – Provocative. An orange amber with a tall yellow-white head with tight-knit bubbles that sit on top looking stickily back at me. Superb lacing and retention. Big thumbs up.

S – Hops, hops, hops, hops. Some pronounced malty, caramel scent, but primarily pine resin, citrus, juicy, tropical, grapefruity, floral hops. All coming for my nostrils. Smells so incredibly good. One of those beers that you smell, and then pull your face away, and then bring it right back and smell it again, and repeat this process 3-9 times.

T – She’s a mouth shredder folks. Super, over-hopped, bitter with what I can only assume is an IBU that is totally off the charts. Just a bitter bomb…but actually after a few sips it becomes more juicy with citrus and grapefruit overtones. Very, very nice transformation. Floral and tropical now, never without losing that bitter character though. Such an interesting symphony of flavors. Really just lovely, it’s singing to me. There is also that dab of malt that is keeping this from being just an outrageous hop bomb, it lends a honey-caramel backdrop that does nothing but contribute.

M – Dry and bitter, but intermittently juicy as they battle it out. Light with a slight chewy/syrupy element that keeps it on the tongue just long enough for you to get the full effect. For a double IPA/Imperial IPA I expected a bit more body, but you know what? I don’t care. This is very well done.

O – I had my first one of these months ago. And I didn’t love it. But I was beyond a novice at the point in time; it was actually one of the first craft beers I had ever had. I have since sampled a smorgasbord or different beers and styles and only about 3 short months have passed. I think that the hops might have died down a little bit since then but I don’t think by much owing to the fact it was in the fridge the whole time. This time, I recognize this beer to be truly unique. Actually, damn good. Perhaps one of the best beers I have ever had. I really love this beer. I hope that it is readily available when I move back east, but I won’t forget it in any sense. I HIGHLY recommend this beer to someone who likes...well, beer. But more importantly someone who loves hop bombs. Just totally, completely awesome. I might need to see if I can track down another 4-pack of this before I leave.

KKB, Dec 05, 2012

zonker17, Oct 12, 2012

kbuzz, Sep 16, 2012

beercubus, Sep 17, 2012

SalukiAlum, Dec 04, 2012

frogfan, Oct 11, 2012

tpgraham, Nov 14, 2013

JohnBender, Aug 16, 2012
Pro-AM 2012 (Imperial IPA) from Southern Star Brewing Company