Pro-AM 2012 (Imperial IPA) - Southern Star Brewing Company

Pro-AM 2012 (Imperial IPA)Pro-AM 2012 (Imperial IPA)

Southern Star Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

(Beer added by: lnashsig on 08-15-2012)

IPAchris, Jan 22, 2014

Hanzo, Mar 06, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -34.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Pro-Am/Pram/Prom
Southern Star
20130809
12oz can to Duvel tulip

A – An opaque, murky, brown-amber. Cloudy head of mostly big bubbles on top and fine bubbles on the side.

S – A fruity and earthy smell emanates. Guava and citrus, and the citrus is mostly pineapple and orange. The earthy smell is constituted of a musty, woody, browns sugar smell. There is a tiny bit of peach, grass, and grapefruit. As it warms, a tiny bit of butter and plastic comes out.

T – I don’t know the style at this point (not on the can, I don’t look at BA before reviewing), but I’d guess DIPA, possibly aged in the store. First sip, and it would appear to be an old DIPA. Tastes kind of like slightly carbonated juice with some Malibu. Or maybe somewhat flat fruit soda. I’m definitely getting some fruit up front and bitter grass on the back end. I think peach, pineapple, and guava. It’s not horrible, but it’s not great. There’s some woodiness in the middle and back end that’s kind of rough feeling. Not much sweetness to be found.

M – Heavy-medium body, carbonation is a little low. Dry finish, slightly rough.

D – I looked on BA when I was mostly done and see I have a 2012 DIPA. I’m not sure how I feel about rating it, knowing it’s past its prime, but my rule is if there’s not bottling date, it’s fair game. Your move breweries. That sounds kind of dick now that I typed it. I did not like the look, but the smell was good. The taste, however, revealed the beer’s age to me immediately, corroborated by a BA search. Has it held up decently for a year, yes. I still get good smell and fruit on the front end, but the rest of the taste and most of the mouthfeel is not good. I’m going to finish rating this one, because I think I know how it would have tasted fresh (like Double Trouble but less rough and more aroma), but I’m going to rate it how it is now. Weird thing is, I could see myself drinking two during halftime of some football, but I won’t buy more til it’s a fresh batch.
2.5, 3.25, 2.5, 2.5, 3; 2.6.

nsheehan, Aug 27, 2013
2.99/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Another beer from the creator of the canquest, woodychandler. Poured from a 12 oz. can. This beer comes gushing out of the can and has a caramel color with a 1 inch head. Smell is of hops, citrus. Taste is bitter yet not a lot of flavor, the citrus in the smell is not apparent in the taste, maybe a touch of pine and alcohol are present. Feels medium bodied and bitter in the mouth and overall I did not really enjoy this one.

tone77, Jul 21, 2013
3.06/5  rDev -27%

I received this beer in a trade. It might of been under more pressure than usual because of the jostling. However, I had let it sit in the fridge for at least three hours before opening. It spewed and poured suds out of the can the moment it opened. I tried to get most of it in the can. A huge bumpy head formed and stayed. Stayed. And stayed some more. There are some citrus notes on the nose, bust mostly a hammering of malt. It's a dark, murky amber color. Sort of ugly. Finally I get a sip around the fat foam. Malt bomb. A lot of raw hop hotness on the back of the throat, but no real hop flavor to balance this malty mess. There is a bit of misplaced chocolate. It's got a pleasing heavy mouthfeel. Only redeeming quality in my opinion.

DocJitsu, Mar 08, 2013

phishbone23, Jan 23, 2013

drummermattie02, Aug 16, 2012

FUNKPhD, Aug 17, 2012
3.55/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the can into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: The beer pours a cloudy orangish amber with just under a finger of off white head that fades to a layer on top of the pour.

Smell: Definitely hop forward, I'm getting some grapefruit peel and a fruity note. There is a slight malty sweetness behind the hops.

Taste: Grapefruit peel hops hit the tongue right away. This reminds me more of an east coast IPA. The hops stick around through the whole sip, but don't intensify towards the finish. There is malty sweetness behind the hops the whole time, but it's not particularly interesting. The finish is rather bitter.

Mouthfeel: The body is medium with lots of tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I never would have guessed the abv was so high. This is a pleasant but unspectacular DIPA. I'd have more if it was offered.

oline73, Dec 19, 2012
3.7/5  rDev -11.7%

Thanks to MasterSki for this one.

A - Nice looking beer. Copper color with two fingers of white head with great retention. Slightly cloudy, some good stick on the sides of the glass.

S - Pine, grapefruit, whole lot of hops. Not particularly sweet.

T - Holy bitter Hell! I took a little sip straight out of the can, and I thought it reminded me of Pliny. After getting it into the glass and having some more generous sips I realize this is not the case. Exceptionally bitter, one of the more bitter beers I can remember having in quite some time. Lots of resin and oil, touch of pine, and some grapefruit that isn't sweet. It's nice tasting but might be a bit rough for some.

M - Medium bodied, fairly smooth somehow, although the hop bite might make it appear to be less smooth than it is. Moderate carbonation.

O - Solid beer, but was actually kind of hard for me to get down due to how bitter it was. Drinks much easier than 10%, alcohol very well hidden. Worth seeking out if you're a hop head.

AgentZero, Oct 06, 2012

DarthKostrizer, Sep 22, 2012

bbadger, Sep 02, 2012

vcoggins, Sep 16, 2012

zestar, Oct 15, 2014

TX-Badger, Jun 09, 2014

truesolution, Aug 31, 2012
3.85/5  rDev -8.1%

12 oz. can poured into an Ommegang chalice. Thanks to ksurkin for this can.

Appearance - Pours a hazy burnt orange with a nice two finger off-white head. Sticks nicely.

Smell - Grassy and piney hops. Juicy grapefruit and just a hint of that simcoe garlic. There's a ton of hops, but even so a strong sweetness comes through behind. Just a little bit of a burnt malt smell. Gives it a touch of must.

Taste - An intense hop profile similar to the smell. Definite booze kick to it, too. Malty sweetness, but dries out making me think they added some adjunct to get the ABV up. I could have done without that. Healthy bitterness that is amplified by the dry finish.

Mouthfeel - Boozy and dry. Medium heavy. The sweetness is held in check by the bitterness at first, but it gets a little intense in the finish. The bitterness, that is.

Overall - I had high expectations. It's good, it's not great. It's a little rough around the edges and too big. Nice hop profile, though.

Alieniloquium, Oct 06, 2012
3.85/5  rDev -8.1%

1479th Review on BA
Can to Piraat Tulip
12oz can

No canning date. (Probably 2weeks old)
Thanks to lnashsig

App- A very deep orange coppery color with a small 1/4" head that was off white and faded quickly. Decent cling down the glass with a pond layer. Good density in color.

Smell- Well this dry hopped big ol amarillo bomb has a lot going on. Like a deep orange zest with a pine tree and whispy booze. Big and thick with a ton of aromatics. Not all in harmony but solid.

Taste- Its dry and crisp with a huge bitter, piney hoppy citrus flavor. This is a flavorful beer, like the nose its big and boozy but a bit more tidy on the flavors. The opening dry gives way to the citrus and finishes a bit hoppy. A good amount of pine needle flavor is what keeps this from being great. Dial that down, little better I think.

Mouth- This is the best part of the beer. A big boozy thick finish with a good amount of pine/zest residual flavors. A bit dry but has flashes of being a bit wetter.

Drink- Still not the biggest amarillo fan but this was pretty good. Boozy, piney and hoppy. Just needs to be dialed back a bit. Glad to try this but wouldnt have seeked it out.

FosterJM, Aug 31, 2012
Pro-AM 2012 (Imperial IPA) from Southern Star Brewing Company