Pro-AM 2012 (Imperial IPA) - Southern Star Brewing Company

Pro-AM 2012 (Imperial IPA)Pro-AM 2012 (Imperial IPA)

Southern Star Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

(Beer added by: lnashsig on 08-15-2012)

Steimie, Aug 29, 2012

ScubaSteve00, Aug 18, 2012

drh1382, Oct 19, 2012

reyna311, Aug 16, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

#BOTG 115! A new proam release from Southern Star, and SUPER fresh. Just hit stores today. Poured from can into New Belgium tulip. Pours a terrific dark orange/amber color. Thick thick lacing coats the sides of the glass. An incredible looking IPA- really doesnt get better. Smell- Amarillo hops bring out citrus, pine, just a dank IPA smell. Guessing it was dry hopped like crazy with Amarillo. Taste- dank hop resins coat my mouth, but it is quickly balanced by a nice sweet malt backbone. I get pine, orange peel, grapefruit, followed by a nice peach sweet backbone. This is DANGEROUSLY drinkable for a 10% beer. Just through this review I'm halfway through it. In some ways, it reminds me of Deviant Dales with the hop profile. A really terrific job from Southern Star. Makes me proud.

lnashsig, Aug 15, 2012

pwsoldier, Nov 17, 2012

acbe, Oct 16, 2012

Dwtucker90, Aug 21, 2012

damngoode, Feb 03, 2013

Kappakoosh, Dec 26, 2013
4.63/5  rDev +10.5%

I bought this beer because I kept hearing about it on twitter and my beer store recommended it. I have never been a huge fan of Southern Star.

Served at 45 degrees poured in a (512) Snifter.

At first pour the color, body and aroma are instantly obvious and very pleasant. Good head about 1 finger from a non aggressive pour. Pretty good head retention.

It has a strong smell of citrus with hops. My buddy who isn't a craft beer drinker said it smells like weed. I didn't catch that but its worth noting.

Very good balance of hops, citrus and not overly bitter. Taste is reminiscent of Hoptimum and Endeavour. If I had to chose between this and those two I would have a tough decision to make. This beer is that good.

jbeezification, Aug 27, 2012
4.29/5  rDev +2.4%

The beer poured a hazy amber/gold with a nice finger of head that dissipated very quickly, good lacing as well. Remember, 'Clarity is overrated.' The aroma was explosive, huge citrusy west coast hops. There is a battle going on between the more aggressive piney hops and a bouquet of candy-like fruit. This all translates into the taste and is accompanied by a substantial and very refreshing hop bite. The malt contributes very well, not infringing in anyway upon the hops while still cutting the bitterness and giving reinforcement to the more delicate hop flavors. The body is full, and even somewhat silky, with a light carbonation bite and a touch of alcohol burn.

Overall, this is one impressive beer, it is so common for IPAs to be overly one-sided and this one is anything but. It has complexity within the hop bill, complexity within the malt bill, and it all works together so well. Very well one of the best Texas IPAs I have ever had, dangerously drinkable for a beer this strong. I would love to see Southern Star add this to the rotation.

Siriusfisherman, Sep 01, 2012

tpgraham, Nov 14, 2013

BeerRunner, Oct 26, 2012

Spaceangler, Nov 29, 2012

xpimptastikx, Sep 29, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -34.4%

Pro-Am/Pram/Prom
Southern Star
20130809
12oz can to Duvel tulip

A – An opaque, murky, brown-amber. Cloudy head of mostly big bubbles on top and fine bubbles on the side.

S – A fruity and earthy smell emanates. Guava and citrus, and the citrus is mostly pineapple and orange. The earthy smell is constituted of a musty, woody, browns sugar smell. There is a tiny bit of peach, grass, and grapefruit. As it warms, a tiny bit of butter and plastic comes out.

T – I don’t know the style at this point (not on the can, I don’t look at BA before reviewing), but I’d guess DIPA, possibly aged in the store. First sip, and it would appear to be an old DIPA. Tastes kind of like slightly carbonated juice with some Malibu. Or maybe somewhat flat fruit soda. I’m definitely getting some fruit up front and bitter grass on the back end. I think peach, pineapple, and guava. It’s not horrible, but it’s not great. There’s some woodiness in the middle and back end that’s kind of rough feeling. Not much sweetness to be found.

M – Heavy-medium body, carbonation is a little low. Dry finish, slightly rough.

D – I looked on BA when I was mostly done and see I have a 2012 DIPA. I’m not sure how I feel about rating it, knowing it’s past its prime, but my rule is if there’s not bottling date, it’s fair game. Your move breweries. That sounds kind of dick now that I typed it. I did not like the look, but the smell was good. The taste, however, revealed the beer’s age to me immediately, corroborated by a BA search. Has it held up decently for a year, yes. I still get good smell and fruit on the front end, but the rest of the taste and most of the mouthfeel is not good. I’m going to finish rating this one, because I think I know how it would have tasted fresh (like Double Trouble but less rough and more aroma), but I’m going to rate it how it is now. Weird thing is, I could see myself drinking two during halftime of some football, but I won’t buy more til it’s a fresh batch.
2.5, 3.25, 2.5, 2.5, 3; 2.6.

nsheehan, Aug 26, 2013

PissWarmChango, Aug 18, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -16.5%

FUNKPhD, Aug 17, 2012

boogercrack, Aug 20, 2012
Pro-AM 2012 (Imperial IPA) from Southern Star Brewing Company