Pro-AM 2012 (Imperial IPA) - Southern Star Brewing Company

Pro-AM 2012 (Imperial IPA)Pro-AM 2012 (Imperial IPA)

Southern Star Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

(Beer added by: lnashsig on 08-15-2012)

2.75/5  rDev -34.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Pro-Am/Pram/Prom
Southern Star
20130809
12oz can to Duvel tulip

A – An opaque, murky, brown-amber. Cloudy head of mostly big bubbles on top and fine bubbles on the side.

S – A fruity and earthy smell emanates. Guava and citrus, and the citrus is mostly pineapple and orange. The earthy smell is constituted of a musty, woody, browns sugar smell. There is a tiny bit of peach, grass, and grapefruit. As it warms, a tiny bit of butter and plastic comes out.

T – I don’t know the style at this point (not on the can, I don’t look at BA before reviewing), but I’d guess DIPA, possibly aged in the store. First sip, and it would appear to be an old DIPA. Tastes kind of like slightly carbonated juice with some Malibu. Or maybe somewhat flat fruit soda. I’m definitely getting some fruit up front and bitter grass on the back end. I think peach, pineapple, and guava. It’s not horrible, but it’s not great. There’s some woodiness in the middle and back end that’s kind of rough feeling. Not much sweetness to be found.

M – Heavy-medium body, carbonation is a little low. Dry finish, slightly rough.

D – I looked on BA when I was mostly done and see I have a 2012 DIPA. I’m not sure how I feel about rating it, knowing it’s past its prime, but my rule is if there’s not bottling date, it’s fair game. Your move breweries. That sounds kind of dick now that I typed it. I did not like the look, but the smell was good. The taste, however, revealed the beer’s age to me immediately, corroborated by a BA search. Has it held up decently for a year, yes. I still get good smell and fruit on the front end, but the rest of the taste and most of the mouthfeel is not good. I’m going to finish rating this one, because I think I know how it would have tasted fresh (like Double Trouble but less rough and more aroma), but I’m going to rate it how it is now. Weird thing is, I could see myself drinking two during halftime of some football, but I won’t buy more til it’s a fresh batch.
2.5, 3.25, 2.5, 2.5, 3; 2.6.

2.99/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Another beer from the creator of the canquest, woodychandler. Poured from a 12 oz. can. This beer comes gushing out of the can and has a caramel color with a 1 inch head. Smell is of hops, citrus. Taste is bitter yet not a lot of flavor, the citrus in the smell is not apparent in the taste, maybe a touch of pine and alcohol are present. Feels medium bodied and bitter in the mouth and overall I did not really enjoy this one.

4.39/5  rDev +4.8%

The lovely JenRay sent me this in furtherance of The CANQuest (TM), but I put it aside awaiting its photo's approval (I think that is one of mine) and promptly forgot it until recently. Better late than never!

The Crack got a little spritz of excitement coming from the CAn, so I gave it a calming moment before proceeding with an inverted Glug. I got a great two-plus fingers of foamy, rocky, tawny head as a result and it sat there defying me to take a sip. Color was an oh-so-slightly hazy deep-amber. Nose was redolent with evergreen/pine hops and underlain with caramel malt. Mouthfeel was medium and the hops and malt had melded nicely over the elapsed time. I CAN imagine that this was originally a pretty hot little number, now grown accustomed to its status. The lacing that began to form was heavy and sticky. Ready the jackhammer for later, you boys! Finish was sweet with a burst of pine hops and far too easy to drink! 10 % ?!? Half-gone in the blink of an eye!

3.25/5  rDev -22.4%

3.25/5  rDev -22.4%

3.06/5  rDev -27%

I received this beer in a trade. It might of been under more pressure than usual because of the jostling. However, I had let it sit in the fridge for at least three hours before opening. It spewed and poured suds out of the can the moment it opened. I tried to get most of it in the can. A huge bumpy head formed and stayed. Stayed. And stayed some more. There are some citrus notes on the nose, bust mostly a hammering of malt. It's a dark, murky amber color. Sort of ugly. Finally I get a sip around the fat foam. Malt bomb. A lot of raw hop hotness on the back of the throat, but no real hop flavor to balance this malty mess. There is a bit of misplaced chocolate. It's got a pleasing heavy mouthfeel. Only redeeming quality in my opinion.

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

Pro-AM 2012 (Imperial IPA) from Southern Star Brewing Company