Pro-AM 2012 (Imperial IPA) - Southern Star Brewing Company

Pro-AM 2012 (Imperial IPA)Pro-AM 2012 (Imperial IPA)

Southern Star Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

(Beer added by: lnashsig on 08-15-2012)
View: Beers (17) |  Events

3.25/5  rDev -22.4%

03-27-2013 02:53:21 | More by SmellsofMahagony
DocJitsu

3.06/5  rDev -27%

I received this beer in a trade. It might of been under more pressure than usual because of the jostling. However, I had let it sit in the fridge for at least three hours before opening. It spewed and poured suds out of the can the moment it opened. I tried to get most of it in the can. A huge bumpy head formed and stayed. Stayed. And stayed some more. There are some citrus notes on the nose, bust mostly a hammering of malt. It's a dark, murky amber color. Sort of ugly. Finally I get a sip around the fat foam. Malt bomb. A lot of raw hop hotness on the back of the throat, but no real hop flavor to balance this malty mess. There is a bit of misplaced chocolate. It's got a pleasing heavy mouthfeel. Only redeeming quality in my opinion.

03-08-2013 04:51:46 | More by DocJitsu

12-27-2012 01:53:47 | More by PaulUH
oline73

Maryland

3.55/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the can into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: The beer pours a cloudy orangish amber with just under a finger of off white head that fades to a layer on top of the pour.

Smell: Definitely hop forward, I'm getting some grapefruit peel and a fruity note. There is a slight malty sweetness behind the hops.

Taste: Grapefruit peel hops hit the tongue right away. This reminds me more of an east coast IPA. The hops stick around through the whole sip, but don't intensify towards the finish. There is malty sweetness behind the hops the whole time, but it's not particularly interesting. The finish is rather bitter.

Mouthfeel: The body is medium with lots of tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I never would have guessed the abv was so high. This is a pleasant but unspectacular DIPA. I'd have more if it was offered.

Serving type: can

12-19-2012 21:16:51 | More by oline73
abex44

12-17-2012 02:16:30 | More by abex44
kew

12-07-2012 13:06:05 | More by kew
KKB

4.6/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A – Provocative. An orange amber with a tall yellow-white head with tight-knit bubbles that sit on top looking stickily back at me. Superb lacing and retention. Big thumbs up.

S – Hops, hops, hops, hops. Some pronounced malty, caramel scent, but primarily pine resin, citrus, juicy, tropical, grapefruity, floral hops. All coming for my nostrils. Smells so incredibly good. One of those beers that you smell, and then pull your face away, and then bring it right back and smell it again, and repeat this process 3-9 times.

T – She’s a mouth shredder folks. Super, over-hopped, bitter with what I can only assume is an IBU that is totally off the charts. Just a bitter bomb…but actually after a few sips it becomes more juicy with citrus and grapefruit overtones. Very, very nice transformation. Floral and tropical now, never without losing that bitter character though. Such an interesting symphony of flavors. Really just lovely, it’s singing to me. There is also that dab of malt that is keeping this from being just an outrageous hop bomb, it lends a honey-caramel backdrop that does nothing but contribute.

M – Dry and bitter, but intermittently juicy as they battle it out. Light with a slight chewy/syrupy element that keeps it on the tongue just long enough for you to get the full effect. For a double IPA/Imperial IPA I expected a bit more body, but you know what? I don’t care. This is very well done.

O – I had my first one of these months ago. And I didn’t love it. But I was beyond a novice at the point in time; it was actually one of the first craft beers I had ever had. I have since sampled a smorgasbord or different beers and styles and only about 3 short months have passed. I think that the hops might have died down a little bit since then but I don’t think by much owing to the fact it was in the fridge the whole time. This time, I recognize this beer to be truly unique. Actually, damn good. Perhaps one of the best beers I have ever had. I really love this beer. I hope that it is readily available when I move back east, but I won’t forget it in any sense. I HIGHLY recommend this beer to someone who likes...well, beer. But more importantly someone who loves hop bombs. Just totally, completely awesome. I might need to see if I can track down another 4-pack of this before I leave.

12-05-2012 04:06:12 | More by KKB

11-29-2012 15:36:06 | More by Spaceangler
cdwil

11-28-2012 14:29:14 | More by cdwil
jlindros

Yay, craft beer cans! Thanks to dcloeren for this one.

Pours a light fizzy almost fluffy head that reaches 1 finger before fading at a med pace, with nice lacing, semi clear golden reddish orange beer.

Nose some nice hops, light candied citrus, floral, some tropical fruit with a hint of grapefruit and a fruit punch like tropical fruit juice, light resin and pine, little fairly fresh smelling, and just a bit of sweet malty base.

Taste starts with a light sweet malty base, and a hint of booze and candy flavors. Then right into big hops, fairly bitter, with some light tropical fruit juice, little citrus, grapefruit, tangerine like, etc. But then the hops really get crazy spicy and chewy, light resins and a nice big punch of pine. The hops get astringent as it moves towards the finish, a long spicy chewy hop finish that never ends, fairly dry as the bitterness ramps, it's astringent, spicy, salty hop flavors even, quite bitter, that makes me keep sipping so I can avoid too much of the astringent bitterness.

Mouth is med to fuller bodied, just a bit of warming booze, good carb, huge astringent bitterness that rips the moisture from my tongue.

Overall pretty good, it starts nice but the super spicy chewy salty astringent hop finish takes away from it a bit. I used to like the over the top ridiculously hoppy beers, but after having so many of the big tropical fruit and citrus hops, and other balanced malt/hop beers, this goes a little over the edge, but still a great beer.

Serving type: can

11-21-2012 00:27:15 | More by jlindros
sendbeer

Georgia

11-19-2012 16:31:06 | More by sendbeer
Pro-AM 2012 (Imperial IPA) from Southern Star Brewing Company