Pro-AM 2012 (Imperial IPA) - Southern Star Brewing Company

Pro-AM 2012 (Imperial IPA)Pro-AM 2012 (Imperial IPA)

Southern Star Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

(Beer added by: lnashsig on 08-15-2012)

2.99/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Another beer from the creator of the canquest, woodychandler. Poured from a 12 oz. can. This beer comes gushing out of the can and has a caramel color with a 1 inch head. Smell is of hops, citrus. Taste is bitter yet not a lot of flavor, the citrus in the smell is not apparent in the taste, maybe a touch of pine and alcohol are present. Feels medium bodied and bitter in the mouth and overall I did not really enjoy this one.

4.39/5  rDev +4.8%

The lovely JenRay sent me this in furtherance of The CANQuest (TM), but I put it aside awaiting its photo's approval (I think that is one of mine) and promptly forgot it until recently. Better late than never!

The Crack got a little spritz of excitement coming from the CAn, so I gave it a calming moment before proceeding with an inverted Glug. I got a great two-plus fingers of foamy, rocky, tawny head as a result and it sat there defying me to take a sip. Color was an oh-so-slightly hazy deep-amber. Nose was redolent with evergreen/pine hops and underlain with caramel malt. Mouthfeel was medium and the hops and malt had melded nicely over the elapsed time. I CAN imagine that this was originally a pretty hot little number, now grown accustomed to its status. The lacing that began to form was heavy and sticky. Ready the jackhammer for later, you boys! Finish was sweet with a burst of pine hops and far too easy to drink! 10 % ?!? Half-gone in the blink of an eye!

3.5/5  rDev -16.5%

3.25/5  rDev -22.4%

3.25/5  rDev -22.4%

3.06/5  rDev -27%

I received this beer in a trade. It might of been under more pressure than usual because of the jostling. However, I had let it sit in the fridge for at least three hours before opening. It spewed and poured suds out of the can the moment it opened. I tried to get most of it in the can. A huge bumpy head formed and stayed. Stayed. And stayed some more. There are some citrus notes on the nose, bust mostly a hammering of malt. It's a dark, murky amber color. Sort of ugly. Finally I get a sip around the fat foam. Malt bomb. A lot of raw hop hotness on the back of the throat, but no real hop flavor to balance this malty mess. There is a bit of misplaced chocolate. It's got a pleasing heavy mouthfeel. Only redeeming quality in my opinion.

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

3.5/5  rDev -16.5%

3.55/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the can into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: The beer pours a cloudy orangish amber with just under a finger of off white head that fades to a layer on top of the pour.

Smell: Definitely hop forward, I'm getting some grapefruit peel and a fruity note. There is a slight malty sweetness behind the hops.

Taste: Grapefruit peel hops hit the tongue right away. This reminds me more of an east coast IPA. The hops stick around through the whole sip, but don't intensify towards the finish. There is malty sweetness behind the hops the whole time, but it's not particularly interesting. The finish is rather bitter.

Mouthfeel: The body is medium with lots of tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I never would have guessed the abv was so high. This is a pleasant but unspectacular DIPA. I'd have more if it was offered.

4.6/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A – Provocative. An orange amber with a tall yellow-white head with tight-knit bubbles that sit on top looking stickily back at me. Superb lacing and retention. Big thumbs up.

S – Hops, hops, hops, hops. Some pronounced malty, caramel scent, but primarily pine resin, citrus, juicy, tropical, grapefruity, floral hops. All coming for my nostrils. Smells so incredibly good. One of those beers that you smell, and then pull your face away, and then bring it right back and smell it again, and repeat this process 3-9 times.

T – She’s a mouth shredder folks. Super, over-hopped, bitter with what I can only assume is an IBU that is totally off the charts. Just a bitter bomb…but actually after a few sips it becomes more juicy with citrus and grapefruit overtones. Very, very nice transformation. Floral and tropical now, never without losing that bitter character though. Such an interesting symphony of flavors. Really just lovely, it’s singing to me. There is also that dab of malt that is keeping this from being just an outrageous hop bomb, it lends a honey-caramel backdrop that does nothing but contribute.

M – Dry and bitter, but intermittently juicy as they battle it out. Light with a slight chewy/syrupy element that keeps it on the tongue just long enough for you to get the full effect. For a double IPA/Imperial IPA I expected a bit more body, but you know what? I don’t care. This is very well done.

O – I had my first one of these months ago. And I didn’t love it. But I was beyond a novice at the point in time; it was actually one of the first craft beers I had ever had. I have since sampled a smorgasbord or different beers and styles and only about 3 short months have passed. I think that the hops might have died down a little bit since then but I don’t think by much owing to the fact it was in the fridge the whole time. This time, I recognize this beer to be truly unique. Actually, damn good. Perhaps one of the best beers I have ever had. I really love this beer. I hope that it is readily available when I move back east, but I won’t forget it in any sense. I HIGHLY recommend this beer to someone who likes...well, beer. But more importantly someone who loves hop bombs. Just totally, completely awesome. I might need to see if I can track down another 4-pack of this before I leave.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Pro-AM 2012 (Imperial IPA) from Southern Star Brewing Company