Pro-AM 2012 (Imperial IPA) - Southern Star Brewing Company

Pro-AM 2012 (Imperial IPA)Pro-AM 2012 (Imperial IPA)

Southern Star Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Beer added by: lnashsig on 08-15-2012

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
3.73/5  rDev -7.9%

Thanks to MasterSki for this one.

A - Nice looking beer. Copper color with two fingers of white head with great retention. Slightly cloudy, some good stick on the sides of the glass.

S - Pine, grapefruit, whole lot of hops. Not particularly sweet.

T - Holy bitter Hell! I took a little sip straight out of the can, and I thought it reminded me of Pliny. After getting it into the glass and having some more generous sips I realize this is not the case. Exceptionally bitter, one of the more bitter beers I can remember having in quite some time. Lots of resin and oil, touch of pine, and some grapefruit that isn't sweet. It's nice tasting but might be a bit rough for some.

M - Medium bodied, fairly smooth somehow, although the hop bite might make it appear to be less smooth than it is. Moderate carbonation.

O - Solid beer, but was actually kind of hard for me to get down due to how bitter it was. Drinks much easier than 10%, alcohol very well hidden. Worth seeking out if you're a hop head.

3.55/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the can into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: The beer pours a cloudy orangish amber with just under a finger of off white head that fades to a layer on top of the pour.

Smell: Definitely hop forward, I'm getting some grapefruit peel and a fruity note. There is a slight malty sweetness behind the hops.

Taste: Grapefruit peel hops hit the tongue right away. This reminds me more of an east coast IPA. The hops stick around through the whole sip, but don't intensify towards the finish. There is malty sweetness behind the hops the whole time, but it's not particularly interesting. The finish is rather bitter.

Mouthfeel: The body is medium with lots of tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I never would have guessed the abv was so high. This is a pleasant but unspectacular DIPA. I'd have more if it was offered.

3.06/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Another beer from the creator of the canquest, woodychandler. Poured from a 12 oz. can. This beer comes gushing out of the can and has a caramel color with a 1 inch head. Smell is of hops, citrus. Taste is bitter yet not a lot of flavor, the citrus in the smell is not apparent in the taste, maybe a touch of pine and alcohol are present. Feels medium bodied and bitter in the mouth and overall I did not really enjoy this one.

3.06/5  rDev -24.4%

I received this beer in a trade. It might of been under more pressure than usual because of the jostling. However, I had let it sit in the fridge for at least three hours before opening. It spewed and poured suds out of the can the moment it opened. I tried to get most of it in the can. A huge bumpy head formed and stayed. Stayed. And stayed some more. There are some citrus notes on the nose, bust mostly a hammering of malt. It's a dark, murky amber color. Sort of ugly. Finally I get a sip around the fat foam. Malt bomb. A lot of raw hop hotness on the back of the throat, but no real hop flavor to balance this malty mess. There is a bit of misplaced chocolate. It's got a pleasing heavy mouthfeel. Only redeeming quality in my opinion.

2.78/5  rDev -31.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Southern Star
12oz can to Duvel tulip

A – An opaque, murky, brown-amber. Cloudy head of mostly big bubbles on top and fine bubbles on the side.

S – A fruity and earthy smell emanates. Guava and citrus, and the citrus is mostly pineapple and orange. The earthy smell is constituted of a musty, woody, browns sugar smell. There is a tiny bit of peach, grass, and grapefruit. As it warms, a tiny bit of butter and plastic comes out.

T – I don’t know the style at this point (not on the can, I don’t look at BA before reviewing), but I’d guess DIPA, possibly aged in the store. First sip, and it would appear to be an old DIPA. Tastes kind of like slightly carbonated juice with some Malibu. Or maybe somewhat flat fruit soda. I’m definitely getting some fruit up front and bitter grass on the back end. I think peach, pineapple, and guava. It’s not horrible, but it’s not great. There’s some woodiness in the middle and back end that’s kind of rough feeling. Not much sweetness to be found.

M – Heavy-medium body, carbonation is a little low. Dry finish, slightly rough.

D – I looked on BA when I was mostly done and see I have a 2012 DIPA. I’m not sure how I feel about rating it, knowing it’s past its prime, but my rule is if there’s not bottling date, it’s fair game. Your move breweries. That sounds kind of dick now that I typed it. I did not like the look, but the smell was good. The taste, however, revealed the beer’s age to me immediately, corroborated by a BA search. Has it held up decently for a year, yes. I still get good smell and fruit on the front end, but the rest of the taste and most of the mouthfeel is not good. I’m going to finish rating this one, because I think I know how it would have tasted fresh (like Double Trouble but less rough and more aroma), but I’m going to rate it how it is now. Weird thing is, I could see myself drinking two during halftime of some football, but I won’t buy more til it’s a fresh batch.
2.5, 3.25, 2.5, 2.5, 3; 2.6.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Pro-AM 2012 (Imperial IPA) from Southern Star Brewing Company