Black Crack - Southern Star Brewing Company

Southern Star Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.25% ABV

Beer added by: lokieman on 03-13-2013

Aged in Bourbon barrels, this specialty will have all of the rich malt flavor of its' base beer, our Buried Hatchet Stout, complimented by a caramel, woody sweetness and vanilla notes from prolonged contact with American Oak. Dark tobacco, medium char and hints of the original Bourbon make this hard to find release a real treat.
Reviews by TBoneJones:
4.73/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I saw this alone in the chiller a major craft brew retail store near me. The $11.99 tag intrigued me, especially since this was a local beer I had never seen before. With such a huge cost for a bottle, I had to see what was up. The guy at the checkout reaffirmed my decision, displaying enthusiasm having tried it himself.
Poured an almost-black, has a nice but finger-thick head. Lacing looks nice.
This smells powerful, but of great stuff like chocolate, licorice and dark fruit (cherry) assaulting my nose off the bat. The milk chocolate dominates, it's a burnt choco smell (due to the alcohol), but in a robust Tootsie Roll/ root beer float type of way...and then I remember that this is bourbon barrel aged, realize the unique notes are due to this...and now I can't wait to taste this.
Taste follows suit. Complex I can tell right away. The bourbon flavor presents itself, the chocolate is now back seat and more sharply flavored (due to the barrelling) and yet it finishes sweetly. Somewhat thinner than I expected, compared to other stouts I've enjoyed. Dark fruit touches with all of that other flavoring reminds me of a brandy, based on the overall sensation. This is 8.5% abv. according to the label, however it seems higher, at least at first it does. But it's great because this is a beer, not barrel aged liquor. Barrel works wonders. Creamy and smooth as it warms, yet earthy, and a bit more dry finishing as well.
To me, the sum of each part/ flavor, equals one unique whole success. Highly recommended. Hard to find im told, but if you can, pick one up, or two for that matter. I wonder what age would do.

4.2/5  rDev +1.7%

4.42/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.52/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.5/5  rDev -15.3%

3.75/5  rDev -9.2%

3.35/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Black Crack from Southern Star Brewing Company