Buried Hatchet Stout- Nitro - Southern Star Brewing Company

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.25% ABV

Beer added by: BJasny on 04-11-2013

Ratings: 40 | Reviews: 6
4.68/5  rDev +13.9%

this beer is close to perfect. so creamy and rich, so chocolatey and smoky, so strong. it reminds me of a superior version of deschutes obsidian stout.(which is also pretty tasty) its also from Texas!

3.86/5  rDev -6.1%

Tastes slightly to bitter for my taste but it's high in alcohol. Tasted like a good stout and got me drunk on one.

3.05/5  rDev -25.8%

Ok I've had better stouts. Nitro probably improved it.

3.6/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Unfortunately, I was not a huge fan of the nitro. Beautiful beer. But either something was wrong with the establishment's nitro system... or maybe this one just wasn't meant for me.

Too creamy. I could hardly taste anything in there.

Served in tumbler

4.47/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

served at a local bar on nitro tap
A - thick, creamy head
S - warm stout aroma
T - the nitro made all the difference here. ive always liked buried hatchet but this takes it to a new level
M - very thick and rich
O - if you can find on nitro its definitely worth a try

4.86/5  rDev +18.2%

Simply amazing. I had Buried Hatchet out of the can a few weeks ago and I loved it; this is basically a creamier version of Buried Hatchet. Poured into a snifter pitch black with about a finger-high head, creamy colored. Very nice head retention. Tastes like Buried Hatchet; vanilla notes throughout, roasty, a little malty, no booziness to me. Rather well balanced in my opinion. I don't get much smell from it, but the smell I do get is roasty. Feels rather creamy in my mouth but also somewhat carbonated at the same time... Overall amazing beer and probably one of my favorite stouts at this point. If you can't get your hands on this I would still highly, highly recommend Buried Hatchet Stout; if you're a stout lover I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Buried Hatchet Stout- Nitro from Southern Star Brewing Company