Red Cockaded Ale - Southern Star Brewing Company

Red Cockaded AleRed Cockaded Ale

Southern Star Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: Pesci on 05-13-2013)
Reviews by LittleDon:
3.94/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A pint at Black Star Coop on 7/12/13.

Dark copper/reddish with plenty of head and lace. Cloudy. Malty, spice aroma with a resinous pine presence. Medium-heavy body. Bready with a bit of spiciness. Maltier than most DIPAs. Medium to medium-heavy body. Some alcohol noticeable as it became warm. Medium-low carbonation.

LittleDon, Jul 12, 2013

st9647v3, Sep 22, 2013

ExaltedNecrosis, Jul 23, 2013

Bearman13, Aug 18, 2014
3.2/5  rDev -14.9%

12 oz can pours a hazed garnet color with a dense, creamy off-white head. Retention and lacing are both ridiculous...supreme looking brew.

Nose is apple skins, tropical hops, burnt caramel and cotton candy...interesting melange of aromas.

Taste is a smooth jumble of mismatched flavors...you have pears mating with caramel drizzled toast, rye bread mingling with pine resin, grapefruit pith in a menage a trois with matchsticks and toffee. Just all over the place...not a well thought out recipe at all. Not to mention this is an amber/red ale - certainly not a DIPA. Either way, it is just not very good and I will not be buying another 4-pack. Shame on you Southern Star for putting out something as lame as this.

twiggamortis420, May 30, 2013

4.25/5  rDev +13%

ChiefHopHead, May 19, 2013

greenspointexas, Dec 14, 2013
4.18/5  rDev +11.2%

If I am the creator and founder of The CANQuest (TM), then the mighty JenRay is the high priestess! I have had many sustained trades and traders over the years, but she tops the list. A fellow hophead, she sends me CANs from seemingly out of nowhere, mostly from Texas and I bow in deference to her prowess.

Nothing held me back from initiating an inverted Glug following the much-anticipated Crack! an so began my Saturday. The pseudo-cascade was pretty to watch, settling into a dense, two-finger cap of rocky, tawny head with good retention. Nose smelled of tea. Texas tea? No, hop tea! If you have never tried it, you should, It is more relaxing and soothing than those herbal teas that are commercially available. Grass, mint, black pepper, caramel, all present and accounted for. Color was an oh-so-slightly-hazy deep-copper (SRM = > 17, < 22). The heavy lacing that began to form was going to need a jackhammer to remove. I know that we are CANstantly advised not to age AIPAs and DIPAs, but this did not suffer from same. Man, the hops were muted, but still busting the IBU meter after all of this time! I CAN only imagine how intense it must have been while fresh. Possibly undrinkable because even now, my taste buds were left smoking in its wake. Yes, the caramel maltiness was more prevalent than it should have been, but the hops were taking no prisoners. Halfway into it, I was panting for breath. The finish was as dry as the zephyr winds blowing across the Sahara desert. I was curled into a fetal ball, sucking my thumb and crying out for my mommy! This from a self-avowed hophead, no less. "No mas!" I cried out, but the CANferee was nowhere to be found. I CANtinued onward, the assault raining down on my weary tongue like German bullets at Normandy. Sgt. Saunder crawled over to me and got me under cover as we regrouped with Caje and Littlejohn. I was saved! Hallelujah! Praise the lord and pass the hops.

woodychandler, Apr 19, 2014

deadliest, May 14, 2013
3.74/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bought a single for a mix sixer at World Market in Round Rock.

Really like the look on this one a lot. Pours a very dark amber with a creamy off white head, Several good size lace streaks on my pint glass. A very pretty beer.

Very interesting scent for a DIPA...a lotta different things going on here. Not your typical citrus hop bomp smell...more of a combo of spicy, sugary-cinammon boozy malt and some dark fruit maybe? Weird. Now that it's warming, starting to get some earthy dank and citrusy hops as well.

Wow...kind of a hop smash to the face on first sip. Pretty decent sweet/spicy malt up front, but hops are a bit harsh on the finsh and linger on for a while. Quite a grapefruit puckering bitterness with this one.

A very resinous mouthfeel...pretty smooth, but doesn't exactly hide the booze. Again, this is a strange beer. Some aspects I really like...others just leave me scratching my head. I suggest you give it a try to make sure I'm not the only one confused by this one.

obrike, May 30, 2013