Red Cockaded Ale - Southern Star Brewing Company

good

Southern Star Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: Pesci on 05-13-2013)
View: Beers (17) |  Events

TX-Badger

06-09-2014 18:16:32 | More by TX-Badger
woodychandler

4.18/5  rDev +12.4%

If I am the creator and founder of The CANQuest (TM), then the mighty JenRay is the high priestess! I have had many sustained trades and traders over the years, but she tops the list. A fellow hophead, she sends me CANs from seemingly out of nowhere, mostly from Texas and I bow in deference to her prowess.

Nothing held me back from initiating an inverted Glug following the much-anticipated Crack! an so began my Saturday. The pseudo-cascade was pretty to watch, settling into a dense, two-finger cap of rocky, tawny head with good retention. Nose smelled of tea. Texas tea? No, hop tea! If you have never tried it, you should, It is more relaxing and soothing than those herbal teas that are commercially available. Grass, mint, black pepper, caramel, all present and accounted for. Color was an oh-so-slightly-hazy deep-copper (SRM = > 17, < 22). The heavy lacing that began to form was going to need a jackhammer to remove. I know that we are CANstantly advised not to age AIPAs and DIPAs, but this did not suffer from same. Man, the hops were muted, but still busting the IBU meter after all of this time! I CAN only imagine how intense it must have been while fresh. Possibly undrinkable because even now, my taste buds were left smoking in its wake. Yes, the caramel maltiness was more prevalent than it should have been, but the hops were taking no prisoners. Halfway into it, I was panting for breath. The finish was as dry as the zephyr winds blowing across the Sahara desert. I was curled into a fetal ball, sucking my thumb and crying out for my mommy! This from a self-avowed hophead, no less. "No mas!" I cried out, but the CANferee was nowhere to be found. I CANtinued onward, the assault raining down on my weary tongue like German bullets at Normandy. Sgt. Saunder crawled over to me and got me under cover as we regrouped with Caje and Littlejohn. I was saved! Hallelujah! Praise the lord and pass the hops.

04-19-2014 12:21:16 | More by woodychandler

3.25/5  rDev -12.6%

09-12-2013 22:04:31 | More by beernads
kojevergas

2.13/5  rDev -42.7%

12 fl oz aluminum can with simplistic label art acquired as part of a four pack at my local HEB Grocery earlier tonight and served into a Spaten stangekrug in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live 09/01/13. Expectations are average; I’ve never tried a beer from this brewery before, nor have I heard anything about it. Reviewed as an imperial IPA only because it’s classified a such on this website; nothing on the label suggests a style.

Served fairly cold – straight from me fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as I pour.

Pours a five finger wide head of beige-khaki colour. Nice thickness and creaminess. Okay lacing as the head recedes. Head retention is good for the ABV – about 8 minutes.

Body colour is a pretty transparent, translucent dark red-copper. No yeast particles are visible.

Overall, it’s generally appealing, but not unique or special. It isn’t your usual predictable copper.

Sm: Candi sweetness – a sign of a poor imperial IPA. Noticeable caramalt/caramel presence. Biscuity. Lightly bready. Any hopping is light, floral, and indistinct. A biteen resinous. No real evocative hop notes jump out at me. A poor build for a beer of this style. I’m not looking forward to it. Aroma is below average in strength, and comes off weak and pathetic rather than alive and inviting.

No yeast character or alcohol is detectable.

T: Bready and biscuity, with some resinous pine and a dash of grapefruit. Maybe some rye malt? I do get a slight spiciness. Hoppy notes are accompanied by untamed bitterness, which cuts short the overdone candi and caramalt sweetness that plagues the beer up to that point. I can’t decide whether the sweetness or the bitterness is more unpleasant. Terribly built and balanced. I’m not enjoying this one. Poor amplitude.

No yeast character or alcohol comes through. Depth of flavour is shallow; it’s a reticent beer. Duration of flavour is average. Intensity of flavour is well below average for the style.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Nice creaminess. Adequate carbonation. Presence on the palate is completely wrong for the style; this is the feel something like a winter warmer or English mild should have, not an IPA. Not oily, gushed, biting, hot, or boozy. It’s too full bodied for a beer so lacking in flavour. Overbearing without necessity. Doesn’t fit the style at all. Doesn’t complement the flavour profile.

Dr: Now I know why I’ve never heard of this brewery before. Mediocrity in a can. I don’t look forward to the other three cans I have, and frankly I’m debating just saving the rest of this one to cook with. It’s drinkable, but low quality. If you’re in the mood for an IPA/Imperial IPA, this definitely won’t scratch the itch. A poor show from Southern Star; they’ve dropped on my priority list for beers to try whilst living in Texas. Not recommended. I definitely wouldn’t buy this again.

D

07-23-2013 00:01:45 | More by ExaltedNecrosis
Sark

Montana

3.78/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance- red amber with slowly rising carbonation, beige head that foams up quite a bit but then craters back

Smell - floral hoppiness with a bit of citrus zing, notes of herbal and grassiness give a nice milder middle and a bit of darker ripe fruits at the end

Taste- sweeter malt breadiness on the front with an earthy middle and hop kick to finish, a light tang from the hops is noticed if you look for it

Mouthfeel- lighter than expected but still silky and medium bodied none the less

Overall- a seasonal that isn't afraid to put on flavor and a bit of heaviness

07-19-2013 02:23:45 | More by Sark